Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:11:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sky Sports  (Read 2592 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Sky Sports
« on June 15, 2018, 09:03:36 am by roversdude »
Is it written to contracts of news reporters that every other sentence starts
“We understand”

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: Sky Sports
« Reply #1 on June 15, 2018, 09:13:15 am by Jonathan »
It translates as “it’s probably not true, and when it transpires that it was indeed bullshit then don’t look in our direction as we never said it was a fact”.

Like politicians starting every sentence with “let me be clear” which invariably means they’re about to be anything but. 

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 15, 2018, 09:57:10 am by GazLaz »
It translates as “it’s probably not true, and when it transpires that it was indeed bullshit then don’t look in our direction as we never said it was a fact”.

Like politicians starting every sentence with “let me be clear” which invariably means they’re about to be anything but. 

Sky aren’t too bad with things they report. They are never the first to report much but they try and make sure what they put out is right.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 16, 2018, 08:53:14 am by Chris Black come back »
If you are running a 24 hour service with a major focus on football then you really do have to lower your journalistic standards in order to capture enough content to fill the time. That is a hell of a lot of air time to occupy.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 16, 2018, 09:01:50 am by phil old leake »
Slightly different.  Does anyone else think that’s danny Murphy talks absolute bxxxocks all the time   Saying the obvious.  “He’s had a good game” telling everyone what’s going through players minds.  What they’re thinking. Making stupid not funny comments

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 16, 2018, 09:04:27 am by Chris Black come back »
Does make you wonder who makes decisions to get former players as pundits. Virtually none of them are immediately obviously good and they all need to grow into being a pundit but what was initial spark that led to some BBC type thinking “I know what, this time-served and on occasions good midfielder would make a great pundit”?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 16, 2018, 09:11:11 am by drfchound »
You have to consider though that Danny Murphy has played at the highest level and will have a better insight into what players are thinking than an average football supporter.

I suppose that football could be shown on tv without a commentary or pundit comment, but then again, how would some viewers gain their expert knowledge which they can then post on forums?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 16, 2018, 09:19:30 am by Chris Black come back »
All true - point was though what do they see in individual former players to choose them over next guy? Even if crap the highest profile figures like Shearer, Wright etc are obvious, but BBC has roster of players of little profile like Leon Osman and Murphy who had modest profile and careers in comparison.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 16, 2018, 09:31:47 am by Bentley Bullet »
Every football supporter claims to have expert knowledge of the game. Unfortunately all it does is bring into question the authenticity of us genuine experts.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 16, 2018, 09:38:00 am by GazLaz »
I like Danny Murphy.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 16, 2018, 09:51:21 am by RoversAlias »
Leon Osman is decent, insightful.

Danny Murphy however is dreadful as a commentator, he's so biased for his teams (Liverpool & Spurs mainly), comes across smug a lot of the time and offers little to no decent insight. He was a nightmare in the FA Cup games I watched him commentate on this season. Last night I didn't find him that bad, but maybe that was due to how brilliant the actual game was.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 16, 2018, 09:52:06 am by Colemans Left Hook »
Does make you wonder who makes decisions to get former players as pundits. Virtually none of them are immediately obviously good and they all need to grow into being a pundit but what was initial spark that led to some BBC type thinking “I know what, this time-served and on occasions good midfielder would make a great pundit”?

i only saw the last half an hour last night but even then I had to turn the sound off the thought of listening to "monatonic murphy"

maybe I'm biased because Danny Murphy sounds like Ron Atkinson have none of u worked this out yet --

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 16, 2018, 09:59:34 am by tommy toes »
I'll see you Danny Murphy and raise with Glenn Hoddle. He's appallingly bad.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 16, 2018, 11:15:20 am by NickDRFC »

Hoddle & Mcmanaman meant I watched pretty much every CL game last year in silence.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 16, 2018, 11:50:39 am by GazLaz »

Hoddle & Mcmanaman meant I watched pretty much every CL game last year in silence.

Murphy is a million times better than those two. The way he speaks isn’t very charismatic to say the least is it but he talks sense I think.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 16, 2018, 12:04:28 pm by NickDRFC »
Mark Lawreson is dreadful as well. f**k me Lawro, they’ve paid you to go out and watch football at the greatest tournament on earth, I know this game isn’t much cop but do you need to be quite so miserable?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012