Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:21:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: World Cup Thread  (Read 82978 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
World Cup Thread
« on June 15, 2018, 10:44:22 am by BillyStubbsTears »
So. It’s started.

I’ll put my two pennorth in. Russia and Saudi Arabia must be two of the worst sides to play in the finals since Scotland last qualified. Absolutely appalling quality. I’d fancy the Rovers to beat all 22 of them.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: World Cup Thread
« Reply #1 on June 15, 2018, 10:55:54 am by GazLaz »
Saudi were terrible, the system they played didn’t help them either. They didn’t have the defenders to pull it off. Russia are a poor side by European standards as well you’re right.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on June 15, 2018, 11:00:07 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Some quality goals even taking into account the poor defending. England forwards take note!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 15, 2018, 11:05:47 am by DearneValleyRover »
Must admit it was League 2 quality at best

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 15, 2018, 11:15:18 am by RoversAlias »
Loved Cheryshev's two goals. But no, neither of those sides are going to contend for the gold trophy.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 15, 2018, 11:18:43 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I’d suggest neither side will get out of the group unless Russia were hiding some reserves of quality.

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 15, 2018, 11:29:40 am by CottyRover »
Bizarre though to have five goals in the opening match. In the past the first game was usually cautious and dull. Is this competition likely to be low on quality generally?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 15, 2018, 11:34:23 am by GazLaz »
I’d suggest neither side will get out of the group unless Russia were hiding some reserves of quality.

They are about 1/6 to qualify from the group. I think that’s probably a bad price.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 15, 2018, 12:17:08 pm by NickDRFC »

They are about 1/6 to qualify from the group. I think that’s probably a bad price.

I wonder what their price was before yesterday's game? I can see 2/9 for them but reckon Egypt is worth a punt at 13/8 - I would still favour them to qualify, and glad to see they've left Salah on the bench for today; they're better off easing him in with half an hour in the hardest game and then have him hitting top level against the two poorer teams.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 15, 2018, 12:18:30 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

both countries have untapped "reserves" or should we say things in the pipeline didn't watch the match but after seeing Saudis very recent result a mere 2-1 defeat to Germany - presumably in Germany -- expected if Russia were to win it would only be by the odd goal - results like this just don't happen in the first match perhaps the Saudis lost their NERVE  or were influenced by foreign bodies ….

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 15, 2018, 01:01:47 pm by GazLaz »

I wonder what their price was before yesterday's game? I can see 2/9 for them but reckon Egypt is worth a punt at 13/8 - I would still favour them to qualify, and glad to see they've left Salah on the bench for today; they're better off easing him in with half an hour in the hardest game and then have him hitting top level against the two poorer teams.

Salah must be still in a lot of pain not to be playing. If Egypt were to get a draw in this game it would be huge for them in regards to how the group plays out.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 15, 2018, 01:06:10 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

A draw with Egypt may well send them through though....

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 15, 2018, 02:54:32 pm by steve@dcfd »
I see the Uruguay coach has the same syndrome or still recovering from the one Kiwomya  had.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 15, 2018, 05:34:47 pm by RedJ »
f**k me this Morocco v Iran game. National League standard.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 15, 2018, 06:18:21 pm by Retdon1 »
You have teams like Saudi Arabia, Iran and Morocco playing in the World Cup and the likes of Italy, Holland and chille sat at home. Should 5 teams from both Asia and Africa be awarded places. I can see the argument for both sides but the standard of football in the first 3 games has been awful.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 15, 2018, 06:38:59 pm by scawsby steve »
So. It’s started.

I’ll put my two pennorth in. Russia and Saudi Arabia must be two of the worst sides to play in the finals since Scotland last qualified. Absolutely appalling quality. I’d fancy the Rovers to beat all 22 of them.

I've just watched 2 worse sides Billy, and worse by a long way.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 15, 2018, 07:18:48 pm by Cantley Rover »
And now we have the battle of the cheats.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 15, 2018, 07:37:24 pm by Nudga »
Saudi were terrible, the system they played didn’t help them either. They didn’t have the defenders to pull it off. Russia are a poor side by European standards as well you’re right.

Saudi didn't have any quick wide men but they insisted on playing it wide all the time. Their best football can through the middle, they had a couple of decent ball players but didn't use them effectively. Poor, poor tactics.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 15, 2018, 07:44:59 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
You have teams like Saudi Arabia, Iran and Morocco playing in the World Cup and the likes of Italy, Holland and chille sat at home. Should 5 teams from both Asia and Africa be awarded places. I can see the argument for both sides but the standard of football in the first 3 games has been awful.

It's the World Cup, and so important that  the world is represented in the finals. I love the group stage including it's more dire games, in a similar way that I love the earlier rounds of the FA Cup. I can't wait for a giant or two to fall.

The Saudi's were poor in many ways, but some of their close triangle play was very classy. Iceland at the Euros were fantastic.

My beef is players not born in the country they play for, eg:
Portugal now with 3 French, one German, Cape Vedian, Angolan, and a Brazilian
Spain with 2 Brazilans and an Italian.
I realise this generally helps smaller countries like Ireland, but tis just wrong.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 15, 2018, 07:45:26 pm by RedJ »

Saudi didn't have any quick wide men but they insisted on playing it wide all the time. Their best football can through the middle, they had a couple of decent ball players but didn't use them effectively. Poor, poor tactics.

Sounds oddly familiar...

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 15, 2018, 07:46:26 pm by NickDRFC »
Well this game is excellent. Early penalty, all Spain since then, and then a howler from De Gea of all people. 2 goals for Ronaldo, all set up for a great second half.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 15, 2018, 07:48:56 pm by Copps is Magic »
You can't count Portugal out of anything. Very content to counter attack.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 15, 2018, 07:53:25 pm by drfchound »
Having seen Portugal’s second goal reminded me of a post about Karius in the CL Final after he let the long shot from Bale beat him.
Someone said that you would never see a keeper of the quality of DeGea letting one in like that.

Whoops.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:05:28 pm by drfchound »

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 15, 2018, 08:20:36 pm by GazLaz »
Unbelievable side Spain. How were they not favourites!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 15, 2018, 08:21:32 pm by drfchound »
A proper lesson in how to pass the ball.

I can imagine some of our supporters not liking it though, “gerrit  forrard” comes to mind.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 15, 2018, 08:32:31 pm by NickDRFC »
They've been absolutely tremendous. Brazil, Germany, France etc have some job on their hands stopping them. The movement and understanding between their players is a different level.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 15, 2018, 08:45:32 pm by drfchound »
What a player, brilliant free kick

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 15, 2018, 08:51:45 pm by NickDRFC »
Stop it Ronaldo, just stop it

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 15, 2018, 09:06:29 pm by GazLaz »
The Ronaldo show will take a bit of gloss off how good Spain were. Miles better side.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 15, 2018, 09:26:18 pm by Al4475 »
Yep but love him or loathe him Ronaldo is an absolute belter of a footballer - he can do everything.

Spain were brilliant, great players, what a goal from nacho, fabulous football and yet Ronaldo just bided his time and waited to nullify it all. He is simply class.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012