Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:33:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: World Cup Thread  (Read 82998 times)

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
Re: World Cup Thread
« Reply #60 on June 17, 2018, 06:16:12 pm by redandwhitearmy »
Surely we would be better off finishing second in our group now as it’s highly unlikely Germany will top there group now?!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on June 17, 2018, 06:18:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Surely we would be better off finishing second in our group now as it’s highly unlikely Germany will top there group now?!

I’m surprised no-one’s spotted that...

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on June 17, 2018, 06:40:20 pm by NickDRFC »
Are Germany highly unlikely to win the group? Could quite easily see them winning twice and Sweden and South Korea drawing with Mexico. I’d say there’s more chance of them finishing second, but it’s not a long shot for them to still top the group.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on June 17, 2018, 07:07:53 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Write Germany off at your peril.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on June 17, 2018, 07:11:44 pm by scawsby steve »
I don't know how good Brazil will be, but up to now there's only been Spain that's really impressed me, and they would have started with a win had it not been for de Gea letting one in that Ross Etheridge would have saved.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on June 17, 2018, 07:26:28 pm by selby »
They have no pace at the back and have been exposed, they are going to meet the same tactics from now on and may struggle to get out of the group.
 Germany didn't look to have a plan B, do you think their manager could come to us after the World Cup?

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on June 17, 2018, 07:27:21 pm by redandwhitearmy »
Write Germany off at your peril.

It’s more the fact that I can’t see Mexico dropping points vs South Korea or Sweden.
I fully expect Germany will still finish on 6 points.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on June 17, 2018, 07:49:36 pm by DonnyNoel »
Decent start to the WC so far. A couple of teams showing more than we thought they might with Mexico and Peru (although the latter lost of course) and couple of big boys in Germany and Argentina looking sluggish. Whilst I still think it'll be the more etablished names left competing in July should Germany finish second in their group that could really shake things up. Ditto whoever finishes second in the Portugal/Spain group.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on June 17, 2018, 08:48:36 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Brazil showing they are a team of individuals with probably the most overrated player in world football ever, Neymar.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on June 17, 2018, 08:58:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The Swiss got off lightly with the fouls. Brazil not great by their standards but will improve. Over to the young Lions!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on June 17, 2018, 09:02:47 pm by Filo »
The big hitters are not having it all their own way, this World Cup is wide open, I keep daying it, England have a good a chance of winning it than they have for a long time

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on June 17, 2018, 09:04:29 pm by Boomstick »
f**king hate VAR already. Sick of pundits talking about it.
Boring!
Spoiling the game

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on June 17, 2018, 09:12:01 pm by Copps is Magic »
All makes perfect sense so far. Germany lose. Argentina draw. Spain draw. Brazil draw. Of course they do, its the first game of the world cup! Smaller nations qualifying, 100% of the country behind them. Pushing their teams to give that extra 10%, defend with their lives.

Germany and the rest won't panic though. Because they've got world class players, too much composure. They'll build and come again. I bet they feel zero extra pressure. Nada.

Now, when Tunisia do the same to England and get a 'historic' (but not unexpected) draw/win we'll collapse like a pack of cards because we don't have any of the above. And from there its one step away from dominating possession against Panama but failing to break them down, and getting turned over by Belgium. We've been here so many times before boys, go back every two years - 'the draw's opening up for England', 'no one looks strong'. Its incredibly premature, but I guess that's what football is about.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on June 17, 2018, 09:14:10 pm by chrisd_123 »
The big hitters are not having it all their own way, this World Cup is wide open, I keep daying it, England have a good a chance of winning it than they have for a long time

Shhhh!

People may turn their nose up at that comment but I agree. Nice attacking team. If they turn up with no fear of losing then England can go far.

Let's see what tomorrow brings!

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on June 17, 2018, 10:28:05 pm by CottyRover »
That Neymar, just not good enough at this  level.  ;)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on June 17, 2018, 11:03:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Fascinating start.

I think you’d have got decent odds on Spain, Germany, Argentina, France and Brazil only picking up 6 points between them from the opening games.

But it’s a marathon, not a sprint. I still suspect the winner will come from that group.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on June 17, 2018, 11:50:57 pm by swintonrover »
As England v Belgium is the last game, they'll both know potential routes to the final. If both teams have six points, and the team finishing second has a easier draw, it will be one hell of a spectacle. Both teams playing to lose.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on June 18, 2018, 12:45:06 am by BillyStubbsTears »
As England v Belgium is the last game, they'll both know potential routes to the final. If both teams have six points, and the team finishing second has a easier draw, it will be one hell of a spectacle. Both teams playing to lose.

Aye. Could be fun.

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on June 18, 2018, 07:18:02 am by Harrogate Rover »
Willian...Neymar....Coutinho...Neymar...Jesus...Neymar...Marcelo...Neymar...

(All together....)

🎤 When you go, will you send back, a letter from America?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on June 18, 2018, 07:46:14 am by GazLaz »

We though we had the easier route when we had to play Iceland in the euros!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on June 18, 2018, 02:54:36 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Are Germany highly unlikely to win the group? Could quite easily see them winning twice and Sweden and South Korea drawing with Mexico. I’d say there’s more chance of them finishing second, but it’s not a long shot for them to still top the group.

If Germany do finish second in their group, and Brazil win theirs,it could lead to an interesting position for England....

Presuming both England and Belgium win their first two games and are therefore through - in order to avoid being in the side of the knockout draw that would have both Germany and Brazil - the last group match between them would one where both teams wanted to lose!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on June 18, 2018, 04:11:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

If Germany do finish second in their group, and Brazil win theirs,it could lead to an interesting position for England....

Presuming both England and Belgium win their first two games and are therefore through - in order to avoid being in the side of the knockout draw that would have both Germany and Brazil - the last group match between them would one where both teams wanted to lose!

Aye. I'm surprised no-one's spotted that...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on June 19, 2018, 09:06:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Well now. The draw has opened right up for the side that finishes second in England’s group.

Looking like Japan or Senegal in R2, followed by Mexico, Switzerland or Serbia in the QF.

Best chance for a generation for England or Belgium to reach a semi.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on June 19, 2018, 09:08:38 pm by drfchound »
Yep, let’s bring a semi on.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on June 19, 2018, 09:12:12 pm by RedJ »
I've already got a semi on.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on June 19, 2018, 09:46:28 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Hold on to your hats, who knows what can happen. We'll need a bit of luck along the way. I still have a feeling for once, a wrong will be put right in one of our games with VAR. Someone's gotta win it.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on June 20, 2018, 08:12:22 am by IDM »
What’s wrong with ending up meeting Germany or Brazil in a potential quarter final?

Neither are unbeatable, but there’s no shame in losing to them either especially if the players perform to their best abilities..

If the draw meant England played so called weaker nations then they would still need to play a leading side in the semis..?

There will be some surprises along the way..

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on June 20, 2018, 08:42:43 am by BillyStubbsTears »
IDM

The point is that the more leading teams you come up against, the more likely you are to meet your match.

The oft-used phrase that you have to beat the best to win is ba-baa. What you want is for the best sides to play each other and knock each other out, while you progress against weaker sides and have as few really hard matches as possible.

Plus, whilst your confidence in our ability to beat Germany and Brazil is laudable, it flies in the face of experience. Other that in 1966, we have never beaten top sides (Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Holland or Italy) in the knockout stages of the WC.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on June 20, 2018, 09:21:56 am by GazLaz »
IDM

The point is that the more leading teams you come up against, the more likely you are to meet your match.

The oft-used phrase that you have to beat the best to win is ba-baa. What you want is for the best sides to play each other and knock each other out, while you progress against weaker sides and have as few really hard matches as possible.

Plus, whilst your confidence in our ability to beat Germany and Brazil is laudable, it flies in the face of experience. Other that in 1966, we have never beaten top sides (Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Holland or Italy) in the knockout stages of the WC.

Look at Wales getting to the Euro semi. Only had to beat one decent, but very flakey, side to get there. You generally need plenty of luck to win a knock out tournament. They are a bit of a lottery.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on June 20, 2018, 10:01:26 am by dickos1 »
If we do beat Belgium to finish top of the group then we shouldn’t really be fearing anyone

TinyPortal © 2005-2012