Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:36:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Would you rather England win the world cup or Rovers get promotion?

England
95 (62.1%)
Rovers
58 (37.9%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Author Topic: Would you rather England win the world cup or Rovers get promotion?  (Read 6037 times)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
Would you rather England win the world cup or Rovers get promotion?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Being Welsh this is a no brainer for me  :)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
I've seen Rovers promoted 5 times in my lifetime, and seen England make 2 semi final appearances at major tournaments. At this stage I'd definitely rather England win the World Cup, although if it was the case that only one could happen for the rest of my life the answer may be different.

since-1969

• VSC Member
 :chair: Rovers win promotion I’m a Scotsman

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
England. Easily. Rovers will go up and down many times in my lifetime. England have never gotten close to a World Cup-winning side in my lifetime, so that's a legitimate once-in-a-lifetime thing for most of us if we're really lucky.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
If you are English it’s a complete no brainer.

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Would you rather England win the world cup or Rovers get promotion?
« Reply #6 on June 18, 2018, 11:39:37 am by Filo »
England for me, I was only 3 years old when we last won it and have no recollection of it, in fact my first World Cup memory is getting beat by West Germany in 1970

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
I voted Rovers purely because if given a straight choice I'll always choose Rovers. I would love to see England win the World Cup but watching the national team in a pub will never compare to sharing in success with my beloved local side in person with friends and family. No chance.

darren61

« Reply #8 on June 18, 2018, 12:41:10 pm by darren61 »
England for me. i was too young to have any recall of the World cup win, i have seen Rovers promoted in my time and no doubt i will again.

LincsRover

• VSC Member

A few years back i might have agreed but since the premiership is now an exclusive club full of prima donna’s from which my beloved team, rovers, have been excluded (due to obscene amounts of cash from sky et al), and since South Africa and the total Club over Country attitude of multi millionaire footballers, I couldn’t really give a flying f*ck about England. I’m English but if they choose club over country then so shall I!

I’ll enjoy the tournament and am interested what England do, and will pull for them I suppose, but win this or rovers getting promoted - no contest!

:rtid:

CottyRover

• VSC Member
I take the point that we may see Rovers promoted more than once but will be lucky to see England win the World Cup once, but, even though I'm English I'm Donny first. Rovers promoted please

MachoMadness

• Forum Member

A few years back i might have agreed but since the premiership is now an exclusive club full of prima donna’s from which my beloved team, rovers, have been excluded (due to obscene amounts of cash from sky et al), and since South Africa and the total Club over Country attitude of multi millionaire footballers, I couldn’t really give a flying f*ck about England. I’m English but if they choose club over country then so shall I!

I’ll enjoy the tournament and am interested what England do, and will pull for them I suppose, but win this or rovers getting promoted - no contest!

:rtid:
I see this point and understand to a degree. However if we genuinely did have an England side that was committed, intelligent, and talented enough to win the World Cup, full of young players who'd run their blood to water, would that change your mind at all?
It's a moot point I suppose as it'll probably never happen!

Boomstick

• Forum Member
Ask this question next season with rovers in playoffs, i think the result would be the opposite

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
I am actually quite surprised that so many have gone for England over Rovers.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
I am actually quite surprised that so many have gone for England over Rovers.

Me too - but give it a week or so... ;)

Dabby

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 18, 2018, 02:44:41 pm by Dabby »
Well good question , Ive already seen England win the world cup , and also Rovers win promotion 9 times.. (I think).. But i was only 10 when England won world cup, Dunno really .. Can i sit on the fence for this one (And watch both) .

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
What's the point rovers would come straight back down

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
No brainer Rovers.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
And England wouldn't? ;)

Good point though, promotion this coming season is too soon for us unless something truly astounding happens.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
And England wouldn't? ;)

Good point though, promotion this coming season is too soon for us unless something truly astounding happens.

I am amazed when some of off our fans say promotion this season would be too soon. They were saying the same last season, so when will be the right time?

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
And England wouldn't? ;)

I am amazed when some of off our fans say promotion this season would be too soon. They were saying the same last season, so when will be the right time?

We're punching above our weight in the Championship - ie we won't be able to splash out to buy a team like some can. If we are to be aiming to establish ourselves there we need to be strong even before strengthening after promotion. I'm wanting to go up there and be at least midtable, not struggle and collapse.

I believe we should be able to prepare and be ready for that in two seasons.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Do we think either is likely?

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 18, 2018, 08:47:11 pm by keith79 »
Rovers FA cup or England world cup. I would take Rovers

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
I just think England winning would be amazing for the country as a whole imagine the scenes in towns and cities around the country and obviously taking the Monday after off  hungover would be a bonus too!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
I was too young really to appreciate the 66 win but can recall the feel good factor all the way through to 1970 and we thought we were going to win it again. We had the Germans on their knees, then fate intervened and we started to learn what it's like to be a true football supporter.

Like most, I would take England, as you can't underestimate what a lift it gives the country as a whole.

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
The football league is the bread and butter of football in my opinion, i love my Town more than the rest of the country, i guess thats my answer

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
Remember being at Wembley to watch us beat Leeds to win promotion, or at Griffin Park when we won the title with the last kick of the season?

You just can't beat that.

I wouldn't trade those moments, or any yet to come in the future for anything England related. It's not even close.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
If the question is sacrifice Rovers ever being promoted, then that's a different proposition. I'd sacrifice one promotion in exchange for an England win.

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 19, 2018, 12:28:57 am by stuey »
Club before country every time

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
The point I'm trying to make is this:

If the same question had been asked 12 years ago in the run up to WC2006 we'd have potentially lost the experience of a promotion at Wembley vs Leeds or winning the title at Brentford in the way we did. Just erased from history and us not knowing any different.

As it turns out I wouldn't have sacrificed either one of those for a WC win.

Who knows what we'd be losing in the next 12 years?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012