Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:47:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Would you rather England win the world cup or Rovers get promotion?

England
95 (62.1%)
Rovers
58 (37.9%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Author Topic: Would you rather England win the world cup or Rovers get promotion?  (Read 5950 times)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Why can't we have both about time we started sticking up for England as a sporting nation and get behind our teams instead of trying to have dig and looking for blame.

Would love to see rovers promoted next season but until we get someone in we can't see how it's going to turn out

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
I would go for England as Rovers will get more opportunities.
It’s been a long time since 1966 hasn’t it.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Absolute no brainer.  Donny to get promoted

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Would you rather England win the world cup or Rovers get promotion?
« Reply #33 on June 19, 2018, 07:54:20 am by GazLaz »
I’m surprised by the reaction to this. I’d give anything to see us win the WC in my lifetime.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
1966 is such a long time ago and further back than most fans will remember. Even I was only 13 when we won and it didn't really register with me. It's about time we had something more current to enjoy whether it is European champions or the World Cup.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
I’m surprised by the reaction to this. I’d give anything to see us win the WC in my lifetime.

As someone who is on the Rovers side of the argument, I fully sympathise with you Gaz, and all people who are too young to have witnessed that wonderful day.

In a decade of zero unemployment, we were spoilt in many ways, and must seem like a load of selfish old tw*ts at times.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 19, 2018, 05:59:57 pm by GazLaz »

As someone who is on the Rovers side of the argument, I fully sympathise with you Gaz, and all people who are too young to have witnessed that wonderful day.

In a decade of zero unemployment, we were spoilt in many ways, and must seem like a load of selfish old tw*ts at times.

When people were kids, did you not want to play football for England and score the winner in a WC final? Must have just been me!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member

When people were kids, did you not want to play football for England and score the winner in a WC final? Must have just been me!

Geoff Hurst certainly did, Gaz.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 19, 2018, 06:45:24 pm by Drover »
Do we think either is likely?

Well We have had a 5 year plan to get to the championship,the world cup is every 4 years,so 2 chances for England in that time,So sadly NO.Happy to be proven wrong though. :scarf:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:47:29 pm by Drover »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Well, in a way we have sacrificed promotion last season, so there is scope for the England win!

drfchound

• Forum Member
Do we think either is likely?

Well We have had a 5 year plan to get to the championship,the world cup is every 4 years,so 2 chances for England in that time,So sadly NO.Happy to be proven wrong though. :scarf:

Sorry mate, only one chance for England in the timescale of our five year plan.
Next season is the third year so the next WC is after we get to the Championship.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member

The dream was in FA Cup final for me, I can remember the dream even now, and it wasn't with Donny  :ohmy:

southwestexile

• Forum Member
It would be a different decision for me had the question been England World Cup or Rovers FA Cup

But against promotion, England by a mile

RoversAlias

• Forum Member

Not for me, I'd love to see it don't get me wrong but I know it'll never compare to the best moments with Rovers.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
I watched England win the World Cup in 1966 but for me it rates well below Rovers winning at Wembley, winning at Brentford and winning at Cardiff in the JPT.

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 20, 2018, 12:15:43 pm by Bezza »
England for me, the country would have a massive party.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
Rovers for me every time, can remember sat glued to the 66 final as a six year old, but club before country for me since then & forever.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
I'm a club over country man, but I have to say that winning the World Cup would be a huge boost to the country and to football.

However - although I'm more positive about this England team than I have been for a long time, I can't see us winning this one. So it's Rovers for promotion for me.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
I'm a club over country man, but I have to say that winning the World Cup would be a huge boost to the country and to football.

However - although I'm more positive about this England team than I have been for a long time, I can't see us winning this one. So it's Rovers for promotion for me.

Surely it's got nothing to do with the likelihood of either event - it's just a hypothetical "what would you prefer".

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
TBH I wouldn't like to make that choice. I'd love to see England win a major trophy in the rest of my lifetime (Euros would do!). But I'd like to think Rovers have a promotion season or two to come.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
Staggered by the response on here. Club over country for me all day long. In fact I would go as far to say that I avoid England matches like the plague these days. I hope this doesn’t make me sound unpatriotic as I love my country. But I think it’s just ‘top flight’ football that leaves me cold these days.
I honestly don’t think I’d even watch football at all anymore were it not for my passion for DRFC.
Weird I know!

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
A world cup win is something that every football fan in the country can enjoy for 4 years (and remember forever). A Rovers promotion is something that Rovers fans might enjoy for just one year.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
Hmmm.... England World Cup win every time for me. The explosion of passion when following England far exceeds the short burst when following the Rovers fully knowing that only a few thousand of us gives a shit compared to virtually the whole country including the ones who never watch football.

Rightly or wrongly, for all my years following the Rovers passionately, it still feels like I'm shagging my sisters ugly mate on the quiet. When I reveal it to people they look down their nose at me with a look of "really". 

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Following the World Cup in 66 the late 60's were a great time to be English/British. There was a real feel good factor. The James Bond films were coming out, reflecting the 'Nobody does it better' feeling. The Italian Job also reflected the time. Exports of Minis escalated, Mini skirts were up!.

I don't think you can underestimate what a World Cup win can do, especially with Brexit on the horizon.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
A full on Brexit will do the country far more good than a world cup win.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on June 23, 2018, 08:21:20 pm by andysly »
England to win WC.
It’s a once in a lifetime thing.
A harder comparison would be Rovers winning FA Cup or getting into Premier League.
In that case I’ll have FA Cup in cabinet thanks.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

LincsRover

• VSC Member

Well it’s been a great success so far....d’oh!!

:cold:

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
That's because Brexit hasn't happened yet and until it does it is all speculation.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
That's because Brexit hasn't happened yet and until it does it is all speculation.

Aye. Until they dropped the atom bomb on Hiroshima, they were still speculating on whether the effect would be really, really bad or really, really, REALLY bad.

They could know for certain until it happened.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012