Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:28:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tunisia - England  (Read 12774 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Tunisia - England
« Reply #150 on June 20, 2018, 11:21:20 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Agreed. With intelligent and talented players, the back three plus one holding midfielder becomes a fluid four with centre backs advancing into midfield knowing that there’s cover. So you have several potential points of attack without necessarily going gung-ho.

That said, I’m not convinced that England’s centre backs are good enough to do that against the very best. Maguire is touted as the best ball-player among England’s centre backs but his radar was well off vs Tunisia. England would have problems against a good side if he advanced past the half way line then gave away possession sloppily as he did 3-4 times on Monday.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #151 on June 20, 2018, 11:29:22 am by sedwardsdrfc »
We shouldn't change the team shape and any suggestion of it by talksport is just filling the hours with nonsense speculation.

We've had a consistent build up in terms of shape and players for the 1st time in ages lets not abandon it after a good performance and only our 3rd win in the 1st game of a world cup. Southgate has said it won't change and he won't panic and that this is the way we will play and he showed that by not throwing all our strikers on in a desperate attempt to get the goal.

Looking at a far few of the suggestions coming up here i think there might be some truth in it been the impossible job

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on June 20, 2018, 11:29:37 am by BillyStubbsTears »
England should have been out of sight with that performance but as far too often happens the officials made sure the outcome would be a bit of a lottery.

Absolutely. It’s not really fair is it? Every single time that we play against a foreign team, the ref and linesmen are foreigners as well.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on June 20, 2018, 12:07:29 pm by RoversAlias »
Dean Saunders sounds about as tactically aware as he was when he was here. Jesus.

Stones at wing back? Anyone listening to Talksport sounds like they're getting a rough listen. Rose at centre half!? He's small and never played there in his life. No wonder we got nowhere when Pearce was U21s manager compared to our recent success at youth level.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #154 on June 20, 2018, 12:08:00 pm by dickos1 »
I’d consider only playing 2 centre halves and pushing someone else into midfield

Say stones and Maguire at centre half, rose and trippier wingbacks and add Loftus-Cheek into middle of park
We won’t need 3 centre halves against Panama,
Just wasting a player

Did you see Harry Maguires heat map against Tunisia? He was in front of Henderson a lot of the time. Walker and Maguire get plenty of licence to get forward. I’d keep the same shape solely to give the players more experience playing that way.

I’d agree with the point that it’s good to get them used to playing like this. But I don’t think it’s more attacking having Maguire pushing into midfield rather than having Loftus-Cheek in there.
Also I think he will change the system against Belgium and play dier with Henderson in the middle and drop either lingard or alli

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on June 20, 2018, 12:16:48 pm by GazLaz »
I’d consider only playing 2 centre halves and pushing someone else into midfield

Say stones and Maguire at centre half, rose and trippier wingbacks and add Loftus-Cheek into middle of park
We won’t need 3 centre halves against Panama,
Just wasting a player

Did you see Harry Maguires heat map against Tunisia? He was in front of Henderson a lot of the time. Walker and Maguire get plenty of licence to get forward. I’d keep the same shape solely to give the players more experience playing that way.

I’d agree with the point that it’s good to get them used to playing like this. But I don’t think it’s more attacking having Maguire pushing into midfield rather than having Loftus-Cheek in there.
Also I think he will change the system against Belgium and play dier with Henderson in the middle and drop either lingard or alli

He won’t play Dier and Henderson together against Belgium. It unbalances the system I think.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #156 on June 20, 2018, 12:21:34 pm by dickos1 »
I’m not sure what I’d do, because we won’t dominate possession in that game. And lingard, alli won’t offer much defensively or in trying to win the ball back.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #157 on June 20, 2018, 12:50:05 pm by selby »
 Panama having to win changes the tactics we may employ, maybe not the team so much, if we are easily in front,then maybe change a few  players to keep them match fit.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #158 on June 20, 2018, 01:49:09 pm by dickos1 »
I’m not sure we need to be worrying and changing tactics for the Panama game.
They’d struggle in league 1

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #159 on June 20, 2018, 05:53:16 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Think we've the players, if we sit in to defend well and deep, we can really catch Belgium out because they will have fullback's high up the pitch and leave lots of room to counter attack

might be one for Vardy with Kane that would freshen it up and give us a lot in the counter attack

TinyPortal © 2005-2012