Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:56:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: New Manager Delay  (Read 24169 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: New Manager Delay
« Reply #30 on June 18, 2018, 08:40:15 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Or perhaps if you haven't got anything to offer to the debate, don't get involved.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on June 18, 2018, 08:43:05 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
So is the recruitment all down to which applicant has got the best interview technique, or which one has the best-proven record?

If it's what it should be, the latter, why should there be the need for a second interview?

If you just want to use past record, why the need for a first interview? A five minute chat on the phone would do just as well.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on June 18, 2018, 08:46:02 pm by ravenrover »
The one thing it might show is Strachan hasn’t got the job, if he applied

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on June 18, 2018, 08:48:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
If I was unqualified to assess the quality of a person I was interviewing, I would definitely go for their past record as opposed to their sales patter.

Unless, of course, I was going for a cheaper option.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 18, 2018, 08:49:48 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
So there's no possibility of a longer, second interview being used to get past any sales patter? Or is that too logical?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 18, 2018, 08:58:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
How do interviewers with little knowledge of the job in hand know whether sales patter is genuine or bullshit?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on June 18, 2018, 09:11:55 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
By knowing how to interview people and peel away the bullshit.

wabtec

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 18, 2018, 09:12:18 pm by wabtec »
It happened when Dickov was appointed, he and Appleton were invited back.

I've heard from someone in the know that sir John Ryan picked Dickov on his own,but any excuse to have a go at Sir John.

murham

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 18, 2018, 09:14:43 pm by murham »
Thought we were getting better but we are still a joke
Amateurish at best
Come on pull your fingers out and get the job done
Signings to be made
Prevarication
He who hesitates is lost lost lost

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 18, 2018, 09:15:00 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Maybe they want to discuss in more detail what the potential managers want to do and how they plan on doing it? because there's lots to go through, if you think you can gauge someone's fit for a job like this after an hour or two and a CV your wrong

I think this is where the club, by giving fans so much information, open themselves up to criticism. i think its great by the way don't know many clubs where you'd know this much about bringing in a new manager but also not know who the candidates are (obviously we've a good idea but nothing for sure) 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 18, 2018, 09:16:58 pm by drfchound »
I don’t see why this is such an issue, a few extra days to wait in June won’t kill us.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on June 18, 2018, 09:17:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »

How do interviewers with little knowledge of the job in hand know whether sales patter is genuine or bullshit?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on June 18, 2018, 09:18:52 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Is this theory the same for all interviews or just those for hiring a football manager?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 18, 2018, 09:21:16 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

What should they do then? Appoint a former manager to conduct the interviews? not sure what you expect it's so important to get it right why wouldn't they wait until they are 100% sure, a week delay won't make much difference to signings

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on June 18, 2018, 09:24:46 pm by dknward2 »

Who says the interview panel know nothing about football if strachan hasn’t applied maybe the board has asked him to sit in on the interviews or come up with a list of questions to help guide them.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on June 18, 2018, 09:30:37 pm by DearneValleyRover »
It happened when Dickov was appointed, he and Appleton were invited back.

And that really worked out well didn't it.

As already stated John Ryan made the decision

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 18, 2018, 09:31:10 pm by nortikorner »
Want to find one with a pen

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on June 18, 2018, 09:31:32 pm by Nudga »
If the 2 candidates couldn't be separated then there needs to be a tie-break of some sort and the board decided a a second interview was the way

Rock, paper, scissors

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on June 18, 2018, 09:34:56 pm by coventryrover »
That’s ridiculous. Utterly staggering. What more can be said in an interview?! Just make a decision and get on with planning for the new season.

Unbelievable.
are you for real.   Second interviews he born now in any interview process

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on June 18, 2018, 09:35:35 pm by bedale rover »
In an interview all the panel ask the candidates the same questions and the score everyone on what the answer was thereby finding the best candidate

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 18, 2018, 09:36:27 pm by pib »
Frustrating and I'd prefer us to just get on with it. However, if the extra few days means the best qualified manager gets the job, so be it.

It's an important turning point for the club this. Opportunity to appoint a better manager who will take the club forward. Hope we get it right.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on June 18, 2018, 09:36:38 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Or perhaps if you haven't got anything to offer to the debate, don't get involved.

Or if you think you know better offer your services instead of sarcasm, sniping or comments hoping to sound better than those you respond to, it’s a long way from being the first time you’ve done it.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 18, 2018, 09:43:13 pm by RedJ »
I'm surprised people still actually bite at his very thinly veiled digs at the board...

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on June 18, 2018, 09:44:04 pm by Bentley Bullet »
DVR, if you read the Vaya's post to me you might understand why I thought it was him being sarcastic, and if you want to go further back you might find it wasn't the first time.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on June 18, 2018, 09:45:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I've never understood how interviewers with no idea of how to do the job themselves are qualified to decide who actually is best for the position.

Good point. Maybe they should employ someone who does know the game, then THEY could do the recruitment.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on June 18, 2018, 09:47:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Frustrating and I'd prefer us to just get on with it. However, if the extra few days means the best qualified manager gets the job, so be it.

It's an important turning point for the club this. Opportunity to appoint a better manager who will take the club forward. Hope we get it right.

Absolutely. Most of you think you know it all but clearly don't. You're just guessing. Stop f*cking whinging and stop arguing about something you have no control over. Enjoy the world Cup. A week will not hurt as long as the board believe they've got the right man.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on June 18, 2018, 09:47:46 pm by Bentley Bullet »

What should they do then? Appoint a former manager to conduct the interviews? not sure what you expect it's so important to get it right why wouldn't they wait until they are 100% sure, a week delay won't make much difference to signings

They could go on past results for a start. You don't need to hire an expert to do this.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on June 18, 2018, 09:53:02 pm by DearneValleyRover »
DVR, if you read the Vaya's post to me you might understand why I thought it was him being sarcastic, and if you want to go further back you might find it wasn't the first time.

Fair enough BB

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on June 18, 2018, 09:55:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

They could go on past results for a start. You don't need to hire an expert to do this.

How do you know they didn't go on past results to draw up the shortlist?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on June 18, 2018, 10:01:40 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm not bothered that the process is going to take longer. If a second interview is essential, then fair enough. What I can't understand though is, if this is a regular necessity in football manager interviewing, why didn't they allow more time for this originally instead of having to delay the announcement of the successful applicant?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012