Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:13:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Cliff Best  (Read 4381 times)

besty

• Forum Member
Cliff Best
« on June 22, 2018, 07:50:18 pm by besty »
My dad sadly passed away while on holiday last week.
He was in his 60s and had been a Rovers season ticket holder since he was a kid.
He took me to my first Rovers game 40 years ago and because of him I got the bug.

Dad drove down from Harrogate while I drove from Wigan,it wasnt about the football it was a couple of beers and a catch up then generally the football spoilt it haha.

Dreading that first home game without you dad but ill be there and I know you will be in spirit.

Although many wont know his name you would know his face as we attended many away games as well.

Love you Dad rest in peace XXX

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
Re: Cliff Best
« Reply #1 on June 22, 2018, 07:54:02 pm by Paul Simpson »
Condolences to you and your family from a fellow Rovers fan .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 22, 2018, 07:56:07 pm by drfchound »
Once again, condolences to a fellow Rover.
Fourteen years since my dad passed on and I still sometimes think it would be nice to nip round and see him.

Time makes it easier to live with.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 22, 2018, 08:02:44 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Many condolences Besty.

That first match without him will be tough. My dad died 17 years ago - last time I saw him alive was leaving BV after an inept and stultifying 0-0 against Kettering. It never felt right being at BV without him there after that. The first match was a weird, numb feeling. It eases with time but it never totally goes away, and you wouldn’t want it to.

Good luck.

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 22, 2018, 08:06:37 pm by Cantley Rover »
Many condolences Besty. I knew your dad and have some good memories of him. A sad loss at such a young age as well.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 22, 2018, 08:06:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Condolences to you all at this sad time. I'm sure many of us knew him by sight. Maybe a photo would assist in memory of him.

R.I.P.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 22, 2018, 08:08:34 pm by idler »
Condolences Besty and you will always remember your dad as a true fan that stayed with his club through thick and thin.

besty

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 22, 2018, 08:15:52 pm by besty »
My Dad

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 22, 2018, 08:19:45 pm by idler »
Like the rest of us your dad lived through some great Rovers times after the very worst.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 22, 2018, 08:33:12 pm by roversdude »
Condolences besty words are pretty meaningless at this time but all of our thoughts are with you

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 22, 2018, 08:43:33 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Condolences besty thoughts with you family from our family

JBRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 22, 2018, 08:45:05 pm by JBRover »
Hello mate I'm  so sorry to hear about your Dad, our Dan has just contacted me about your devastating news. I am so shocked and find it quite hard to believe as we have sat together in the south east corner since the change to unreserved seating a few years ago.

I know that living in Wigan has been hard for you to attend every game so me and your dad  became quite good Rovers buddies, gutted mate, absolutely gutted that I won't  be having a bit of banter with my mate Cliff.

Top man,  loved a beer or two before the game, Rovers through and through & a bit if Harrogate Town too and I'm not looking forward to the first game without him   on our row with my two sons.

Shocked and finding it difficult to believe, please PM me with the funeral arrangements so that I can attend.

RIP Cliff

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 22, 2018, 09:02:50 pm by wilts rover »
Sorry to hear about your loss Besty, condolences to you and all your family.

swifty50

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 22, 2018, 09:05:41 pm by swifty50 »
So sorry for your loss, had many a chat with your dad over the years, my Thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 22, 2018, 09:07:54 pm by PDX_Rover »
I recognise your Dad. Condolences mate. May he Rest in Peace.

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 22, 2018, 09:26:05 pm by donnyallday »
Sorry for your loss. its truly a crushing feeling to lose your Dad.

I lost mine when i was 11 yrs old.

Remember the good times   .
 R.I.P Mr Best.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 22, 2018, 09:26:26 pm by Lesonthewest »
So sorry to hear of your loss Besty, my dad also introduced me to the Rovers years ago & after he died it was tough going to games without him, it does heal in time & you tend to remember the good times & memories with a smile eventually. Condolences to you, your family & friends.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 22, 2018, 09:37:47 pm by Not Now Kato »
So sorry to hear about your loss, sincere condolences.

I lost my Dad last year, not an easy time, but remember all the good times - it will help you get through.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 22, 2018, 09:51:00 pm by Pancho Regan »
So sorry for your sad loss Besty. It must be devastating to lose your Dad at such a young age. And I’m in my sixties so I know how young that is.

Hold on to all those wonderful memories of attending Rovers games with your Dad. Sadly, my Dad wasn’t really interested in football so I never went to a game with him, but I’m dragging my daughters kicking and screaming to every home game!

My thoughts and best wishes to you.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 22, 2018, 10:12:16 pm by Dutch Uncle »
So sorry for your loss and condolences.

My Dad died during our first season in the Championship, so got to see Rovers playing again at the level he first saw them in the 1950s. As others have said, remember all those good times.

All the very best in the coming days and beyond.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 22, 2018, 10:29:55 pm by roversontheup »
So sorry to hear about your Dad. My Mum passed away a week ago and like you I’m dreading the first match without her.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 22, 2018, 11:45:26 pm by the vicar »
Sad news mate i did not know him but very sad RIP FELLOW ROVER

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 23, 2018, 12:13:12 am by weststander »
Besty I am so saddened by this news as I had known your dad during our teens. We were both pupils at Doncaster Grammar School and and we used to hang about with a group of friends at Hexthorpe Flats. I met you at an away game some years ago when I recognised your dad. The last time I spoke to him he told me he was having some health issues. I remember too his late brother Dennis and his sister Barbara.
By coincidence, I am travelling to Doncaster this Saturday for a reunion with former school mates to celebrate 50 years since we did our A levels. Some of them will remember dear Cliff and I am sure we will raise a toast to his memory.
My condolences to your family

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 23, 2018, 12:44:35 am by Nudga »
I truly envy you. My dad was/is a Kitson and I've never felt what you had.
Cherish it, don't feel down about it, you guys had a blast.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 23, 2018, 07:38:31 am by Donnywolf »
My heartfelt condolences too

Very difficult time - and I too was inducted into "Rovers land" by my Dad for which I am (usually) always grateful

We used to stand apart at Home Games as I used to prefer standing behind the Goal but have turned into him now and I sit on half way.

I just had to walk over the Pitch at Belle Vue before the Cheltenham away game and I looked over at where he would have been standing most games and it was a tribute to him - and unfortunately we lost the battle but won the war at Wembley !

I am still emotional writing this now all those years on - so time is a healer and it will get better but you wont want it to go away. Chin up - and do what I do and wear an extra Scarf for that next Game in his memory
Unfortunately every time I have done this (quite a lot lately) we have lost every Game !
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:40:45 am by Donnywolf »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 23, 2018, 10:36:35 am by idler »
My dad took me to my first Rovers game in August 1958. That got me hooked. The next game that he attended was Luton at home October 1969 two days before my 21st birthday. We beat a good Luton side including Malcolm McDonald 2-0.
After moving to Bradford I would call before home games and he was always amused that I carried on going.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 23, 2018, 03:02:45 pm by tommy toes »
My dad supported Barnsley but I loved him and miss him all the same. He would have been 100 on June 24th.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 24, 2018, 10:13:58 am by Alickismyhero »
My condolences  to the Bests.

Its silly but I look at where members of my family, like my father, who have passed away, not to forget Derek and now Besty that they look over the game on match day, still giving support, never to be forgotten.

RIP "not so old Besty"

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 24, 2018, 01:29:03 pm by LincsRover »
No words will make it feel better but thoughts to you and your family at this difficult time

BiargeBob

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 24, 2018, 10:36:18 pm by BiargeBob »
Hi Besty, please accept my codolences for the loss of your father. I too new Cliff from my time at Doncaster Grammar School, infact I played rugby union with him for 5 years whilst being there, the only football we played was with a tennis ball at break time. Although I have supported the Rovers since the late 1950's, I never knew Cliff was such a staunch supporter & never infact saw him there. What a sadly missed oppotunity to catch up with an old school friend.

RIP Cliff.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012