Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:26:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 5785 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
VAR
« on June 23, 2018, 08:41:37 pm by Copps is Magic »
Right. Tell me no one's noticed this.

VAR has turned football into a game where 22 players are running round the pitch pointing at a screen or holding their arms in the air like they're flying.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Cantley Rover

• Forum Member
Re: VAR
« Reply #1 on June 23, 2018, 09:00:50 pm by Cantley Rover »
Right. Tell me no one's noticed this.

VAR has turned football into a game where 22 players are running round the pitch pointing at a screen or holding their arms in the air like they're flying.

Nothing to do with VAR. They are just a bunch of cheating t**ts.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 23, 2018, 09:01:56 pm by RedJ »
Should issue a booking to anyone appealing to the ref to refer to VAR, that'll soon cut it out when people get themselves sent off because of it. Get on with the bloody game and let them do their job.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 23, 2018, 09:09:25 pm by Canadian Rover »
Except the players convinced the ref to see if Neymar was a cheating sod.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 23, 2018, 09:18:42 pm by RoversAlias »
Should issue a booking to anyone appealing to the ref to refer to VAR, that'll soon cut it out when people get themselves sent off because of it. Get on with the bloody game and let them do their job.

I think in one league where they've implemented it that is the rule, can't remember who but someone was on about it in the studio the other day. I agree it's what they should do.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 23, 2018, 09:25:47 pm by selby »
  With a record of the number of penalties in this world cup( there has already been more penalties 15 in 29 games than the hole competition 4 yrs ago) it is noticeable that the two games they had off were England 2 missed, and Germany tonight getting away with one and a sending off.
 Still inconsistent or is it convenient to some teams.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 23, 2018, 09:27:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I was against VAR but it’s changed the game markedly for the better. There’s been only a fraction of the diving that you normally see, and very little of the manhandling at set pieces. Big thumbs up.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 23, 2018, 09:33:58 pm by Filo »
I was against VAR but it’s changed the game markedly for the better. There’s been only a fraction of the diving that you normally see, and very little of the manhandling at set pieces. Big thumbs up.

You didn't see the Brazil game yesterday? I thought we were watching the world diving and acting championships

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 23, 2018, 09:53:53 pm by since-1969 »
It’s football but not as we knew it . It isn’t var it VR where everyone is taking part in a game where the referee  is told how to do his job by an invisible person who’s voice is just in his ear . It’s corruption via satellite. Ban it now before we all just loose interest.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 23, 2018, 10:04:59 pm by RedJ »
And make sure to stock up on tin foil...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 23, 2018, 10:26:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No I didn’t actually Filo. But those matches are the exception. Most Ames have been far more free flowing and with far less diving than in previous tournaments. I’m struggling to remember the last time I enjoyed a WC this much.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 23, 2018, 10:37:06 pm by Filo »
No I didn’t actually Filo. But those matches are the exception. Most Ames have been far more free flowing and with far less diving than in previous tournaments. I’m struggling to remember the last time I enjoyed a WC this much.

I'm begining to fear for Neymars life every time someone touches him, the number of multiple injuries he gets in a match is unreal. I think he has a low pain threshold though, how he manged to get those tattoo's done without rolling around in agony is a miracle

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 23, 2018, 10:41:22 pm by grayx »
I’d prefer VAR being used for over the goal line & inside the area/ penalty decisions.
I dont want football to become like a rugby league game where every decision seems to be referred to the “3rd ref”.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 24, 2018, 11:21:59 am by Superspy »
I certainly agree with BST's comments about this tournament being more free flowing and, in general, there being less acting about. I am confused a little by the implementation of VAR so far though...it seemed almost spot-on for the first few games, then from our game onward seems to have gone backwards in terms of the number of rugby tackles being missed in the box and things that seemingly would have been referred to VAR a week ago no-longer being the case. If I didn't know any better I'd think some of the refs are rebelling against it and just refusing to use it.

Regarding grayx' point above, my opinion may be controversial, but I actually think the vast majority of decisions in a game could be made using VAR with one simple change to the way it works. The biggest blocker seems to be the time it takes to come to a decision, but that only seems to be an issue because the ref needs to make that decision himself, reviewing the footage etc. If they made it so the fully qualified refs in the VAR room were more accountable and could just TELL HIM the decision rather than advise him that he might like to check it again things would be much quicker. I believe if it was used that way we could probably get rid of lino's altogether.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on June 24, 2018, 01:10:43 pm by Donnywolf »
Am I missing something with VAR because I was SURE that they would advise the Ref of things like Harry Kanes 2 incidents when being wrestled to the floor .... and now what I would say was an elbow on Lingard

Ball was not in play for ages and yet they kept stum ?

If the Ref has to have made a clear error or whatever they say then by NOT seeing that elbow must have been such a decision - although the Commentators were split 50 50 so we may be on here

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 24, 2018, 01:53:56 pm by drfchound »
Also the straight arm smash on McGuire.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 24, 2018, 08:43:02 pm by Donnywolf »
Also the straight arm smash on McGuire.

Yes and that as well. Tunisia got a Penalty awarded by VAR for a much less pronounced "straight arm"

Mind you Young got away with a blatant elbow early doors v Tunisia as well so I repeat how the hell is VAR supposed to work ?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 24, 2018, 08:47:13 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I don't think anybody's said it'll be perfect, just that less stuff will be got away with than before.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 24, 2018, 09:11:15 pm by drfchound »
It will do for me if it stops all that wrestling in the box by defenders.
We just need refs in our league to take note and award pens.
Not likely I know but I live in hope.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 24, 2018, 09:38:37 pm by since-1969 »
If they had adopted the method of having an additional ref behind the goal like in the European games , this would remove most of what VAR is supposed to provide . It’s unexceptionable to keep stopping the play or delaying the acknowledgment of penalty or free kick . The ref is a vital part of the game not a bunch of onlookers sat in front of a video screen . By allowing this type of intrusion is to remove the human element that provides the both excitement and majesty that makes this game admired by other sports for it’s fanaticism. Football has many referees and opinions , if they continue with this ‘Virtual Reality’ it will sterilise the game and reduce it to a school boy game without passion or feeling.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 24, 2018, 10:45:30 pm by drfchound »
To be fair, whenever I have seen the extra official behind the goal in CL games they never seem to give any important decisions, they are a waste of time.
No way would they have advised the refs about the holding and awarded penalties.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 24, 2018, 11:55:41 pm by since-1969 »
To be fair, whenever I have seen the extra official behind the goal in CL games they never seem to give any important decisions, they are a waste of time.
No way would they have advised the refs about the holding and awarded penalties.

Not really my point which is , I think VAR is just not needed particularly at a demestic level where the supporters just don’t need this artificial intelligence being handed down as though this has been what’s missing from the game for 100 years. It can only lead to further unforced changes or even the day when there are no refs on the pitch .

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 25, 2018, 05:20:52 am by RedJ »

I seen them give a fair amount in Serie A, but it didn't seem to translate into UEFA competitions.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 25, 2018, 10:54:28 am by RoversAlias »
It isn't artificial intelligence, robots aren't making the VAR decisions, just different referees are.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 25, 2018, 12:57:37 pm by since-1969 »
Referees. How many do we need I thought only 1?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 25, 2018, 01:02:34 pm by Donnywolf »
One in each Half would be a start + a Lino of course  :chair:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 25, 2018, 01:33:11 pm by RoversAlias »
Referees. How many do we need I thought only 1?

A team of 3-4 officials has been getting it wrong enough to warrant adding 4 more in a room watching screens. More qualified eyes on it surely helps, providing they do it in an efficient, timely manner as is usually the case during this World Cup.

I was dead against having VAR at this tournament as the trials I felt had not proven good enough, it felt too early in development to be relying on it at a major tournament. But the small changes they've made have improved it immeasurably and I have eaten my words on the technology being implemented, I think it's really working.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:27:52 pm by RoversAlias »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 25, 2018, 01:35:49 pm by drfchound »

Not really my point which is , I think VAR is just not needed particularly at a demestic level where the supporters just don’t need this artificial intelligence being handed down as though this has been what’s missing from the game for 100 years. It can only lead to further unforced changes or even the day when there are no refs on the pitch .

It did appear to be your point in the first post you wrote, when you said that an extra ref behind the goal would remove most of what VAR is supposed to achieve.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 25, 2018, 01:37:00 pm by drfchound »

I seen them give a fair amount in Serie A, but it didn't seem to translate into UEFA competitions.

As I don’t do pay to view mate I didn’t even know they used those officials in Serie A.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 25, 2018, 07:11:25 pm by Filo »
Not sure what those in the VAR monitor room are watching but Pique has just got away with a shocker of a tackle, not even a free kick, never mind the red card

TinyPortal © 2005-2012