Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:02:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: SHould boris apologise?  (Read 11031 times)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
SHould boris apologise?
« on August 08, 2018, 01:57:56 pm by bpoolrover »
After his comments about the burka should he say sorry?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donny Dub

• VSC Member
Re: SHould boris apologise?
« Reply #1 on August 08, 2018, 02:29:13 pm by Donny Dub »
Of course not, he’s mocking a ridiculous, inappropriate outfit.  The comments were taken out of context, he was asked whether he thought the garment should be banned and he said it should not.  Perhaps he should not have added the letterbox remarks though.
One could very well object to the wearing of a burka however on the grounds of personal health and safety, not to mention the visual restrictions it imposes on anyone driving a motor vehicle!
How many of these burka wearing women do so by compulsion or by personal choice, I might ask?
Boris Johnson attracts plenty of ridicule anyway and always seems to brush it off, he’s just got himself noticed once again.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 01:08:46 pm by Donny Dub »

shaun from thorne

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 08, 2018, 02:35:18 pm by shaun from thorne »
It should be banned like they did in France

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 08, 2018, 02:42:47 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
"We think that it's disgusting that women are told by their men that they have to wear what they're told to, so we're going to stop that by us telling them what to wear instead."

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 08, 2018, 03:16:38 pm by Filo »
No, I think he is a fírst rate prick, but in this instance, he's right and entitled to his opinion, the pc brigade will no doubt play the race card

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 08, 2018, 03:26:29 pm by Sprotyrover »
"We think that it's disgusting that women are told by their men that they have to wear what they're told to, so we're going to stop that by us telling them what to wear instead."
If that’s what it takes, to bring em out of the Dark ages, female Genital mutilation et al it’s got to be a good thing.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on August 08, 2018, 04:30:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Anyone who thinks Johnson gives a f**k about burkas or the rights of women has never really stopped and thought about him.

He cares about one thing.

Boris Johnson.

He will say anything and do anything that he thinks will further his career.

This is a very serious, sensitive and important issue. For what it’s worth, I think the subjugation of women by a patriarchal attitude in Islam is disgraceful and unacceptable. Just like similar attitudes in the Irish Catholic community that I come from we’re in previous generations.

But Johnson is not interested in engaging in that serious discussion. Instead he makes childish jokes and wisecracks. Because he knows there is a section of society that will lap it up.

The man is a f**king disgrace to the country. He’s happy to use dog-whistle racism to further his own ambition. And the fact that May is unable to smack him down speaks volumes on how useless she is.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 08, 2018, 04:33:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
"If there is one thing worse than being talked about it is not being talked about."

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 08, 2018, 05:31:09 pm by turnbull for england »
Farage has resurfaced on the back of this backing Boris for Pm, playing to the crowd again. Scary times

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 08, 2018, 06:19:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Of course Farage will lap this up. Those two are working a tag team operation.

And watch what Farage is doing. It’s very clever.

He’s now saying that critics of Johnson are wanting to shut down debate on the burka.

Which is not the case at all. Critics of Johnson are criticising the fact that he takes a very important and sensitive subject and makes crass, childish jokes about it which are designed, deliberately to whip up anger.

It’s classic rabble-rousing tactics. It relies on the fact that people won’t keep their eye on the ball and will be cleverly guided into the place that Johnson and Farage want them to be. 

The two of them are a pair of immoral, evil bas**rds, playing with fire for their own political ends.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 08, 2018, 08:52:12 pm by Not Now Kato »
BST, whilst I agree that "the subjugation of women by a patriarchal attitude in Islam is disgraceful and unacceptable",  you also have to accept that a lot of women actually choose to wear such of their own free will.

This has to be respected, or we become as bad as those who would force women to wear them.

However, I fully agree with your view as to why BJ said what he did, and TM has gone down a further notch in my estimation for not taking him to task on it.  A rudderless party taking this country to the brink on so many fronts!

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 08, 2018, 08:57:42 pm by ravenrover »
I've not read the article but has this letterbox thing been extracted in isolation from a tongue in cheek article? For what it's worth I think that Boris is a very "clever" buffoon

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 08, 2018, 08:58:47 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The thing is he's again just saying what many others think and say.

I don't like them, I don't like the sight of them and believe they shouldn't be allowed.

However, be a bit more sensitive and grown up in that role Boris.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 08, 2018, 09:04:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
NNK

I agree about Muslim women “choosing” to wear the burka.

People buy into social conformity. Because that gets you acceptance in your peer group.

Two generations ago in Denaby it was expected that the women would stay at home and look after the kids and put a meal in the table and not complain when the husband went off to the Club after tea. And the women bought into that. To the extent that ones who jibbed against it were gossiped about and ostracised.

That culture changed. Slowly. By more progressive attitudes slowly changing the accepted norms. Not by Kitsons from Eton making wisecracks about it.

If people REALLY want Muslim women to be freed up, they would engage with and support progressives in the Muslim community. Not snigger about letter-box faces.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 08, 2018, 09:06:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BFYP

Asking Johnson to be sensitive and grown up is equivalent to asking an egotistical t**t to stop being an egotistical t**t.

It’s pointless. And, even worse, it entirely misses the point.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 08, 2018, 09:13:51 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I too don't like them, but then, nor do I like hoodies for the way they are used as a disguise by yoofs up to no good.  I expect it would meet with resistance if anybody suggested hoodies should be banned because folk like me don't like them.

There is a good case to be made though for banning the burka in court and other situations where the face needs to be seen.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 08, 2018, 09:21:19 pm by drfchound »
I too don't like them, but then, nor do I like hoodies for the way they are used as a disguise by yoofs up to no good.  I expect it would meet with resistance if anybody suggested hoodies should be banned because folk like me don't like them.

There is a good case to be made though for banning the burka in court and other situations where the face needs to be seen.

..........and airport officials when they go through passport control unchecked.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 08, 2018, 09:30:10 pm by wilts rover »

..........and airport officials when they go through passport control unchecked.

#fakenews

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-how-to-treat-women-wearing-clothing-that-covers-their-face

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 08, 2018, 09:34:40 pm by drfchound »

#fakenews

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-how-to-treat-women-wearing-clothing-that-covers-their-face

#realnews

Wilts, I have seen them go through unchecked.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 08, 2018, 09:42:50 pm by roversdude »
In answer to OP yes

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 08, 2018, 10:53:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
What are we telling them  to wear?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 08, 2018, 11:16:12 pm by wilts rover »

#fakenews

#realnews

Wilts, I have seen them go through unchecked.

I can't say you are wrong hound because I wasn't there. All I can do is point you to the official government regulations that says everyone has to be checked, if not at the barriers then with a female member of staff in a private room away from the public. Thems the rules, everyone has to be checked.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 09, 2018, 07:15:01 am by Glyn_Wigley »
What are we telling them  to wear?

Something else.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 09, 2018, 08:26:14 am by IDM »
Yes he should apologise for his words..

Having a debate about how certain cultures behave or dress is one thing, and is perfectly ok in our society..

However imposing cultural change on demand is a different matter..

It isn’t Boris’ opinions he needs to apologise for, more how he expressed them..  using terms like bank robbers and mail boxes is more likely to drive opinions further apart and help promote extremism on any side of such debate..

Stupid t**t.!

If I had a work colleague who wore those clothes and I made the same comments in the office I could be disciplined and possibly even sacked..
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:09:41 am by IDM »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 09, 2018, 10:02:10 am by MachoMadness »
It's one thing to tell jokes like that down the pub, it's quite another when you're arguably the most influential politician in the country who's angling for the PM's job, and are writing in a national paper. Of course he should apologise. He won't as long as he thinks staying silent gets him closer to number 10 though.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 09, 2018, 10:28:20 am by hoolahoop »
No, I think he is a fírst rate prick, but in this instance, he's right and entitled to his opinion, the pc brigade will no doubt play the race card

Agree with the fist part of your post but this has nothing to do with race , differing opinions within parts of a serious following yes but definitely not race.
You made the same mistake - you've somehow lumped them altogether !

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 09, 2018, 12:03:22 pm by Bollinger »
Anyone who thinks Johnson gives a f**k about burkas or the rights of women has never really stopped and thought about him.

He cares about one thing.

Boris Johnson.

He will say anything and do anything that he thinks will further his career.

This is a very serious, sensitive and important issue. For what it’s worth, I think the subjugation of women by a patriarchal attitude in Islam is disgraceful and unacceptable. Just like similar attitudes in the Irish Catholic community that I come from we’re in previous generations.

But Johnson is not interested in engaging in that serious discussion. Instead he makes childish jokes and wisecracks. Because he knows there is a section of society that will lap it up.

The man is a f**king disgrace to the country. He’s happy to use dog-whistle racism to further his own ambition. And the fact that May is unable to smack him down speaks volumes on how useless she is.

You're spot on about BJ only caring about one thing, BST.

I saw him at close quarters a few years ago when the company I was working for hired him as a speaker at a new product launch. He turned up with no time to spare, said 'what do you want me to talk about' and then delivered a superb, highly relevant twenty minute talk. Irrespective of your political preferences, you couldn't help but be impressed and amused.

Now, in this little ramble of his he made an apparently clumsy off the cuff remark that was widely quoted in the next day's papers. Talking to a colleague who sat next to BJ, he told me that this spur-of-the-moment comment had been the only thing BJ had written in front of him when he stood to speak. He'd obviously turned up intent on crowbarring this little gem into his talk come hell or highwater. He knew damn well it'd ruffle feathers yet made it look like a clumsy faux pas. The buffoon act is just that; an act. I was assured by someone who had been involved in a property purchase with BJ that he was an absolute b***** of the highest order who had behaved abominably throughout the whole process.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 09, 2018, 12:40:03 pm by RedJ »
Facing an internal inquiry apparently.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 09, 2018, 01:19:39 pm by SydneyRover »
''Now, in this little ramble of his he made an apparently clumsy off the cuff remark that was widely quoted in the next day's papers. Talking to a colleague who sat next to BJ, he told me that this spur-of-the-moment comment had been the only thing BJ had written in front of him when he stood to speak.''

Except Bollinger, it wasn't an off the cuff remark in a little ramble it was a column in the Telegraph,

''Mr Johnson has rejected calls to apologise for his remarks, in a Daily Telegraph column in which he also argued against a ban on full-face veils.''

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45130532

The guy is a complete dick and should be made to remain in the conservative party to assist in Mays downfall, following a full and frank apology to all muslims that is.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 09, 2018, 01:25:04 pm by Filo »

Agree with the fist part of your post but this has nothing to do with race , differing opinions within parts of a serious following yes but definitely not race.
You made the same mistake - you've somehow lumped them altogether !

Read my post, I never said it had anything to do with race, I commented on how the pc brigade would spin it

TinyPortal © 2005-2012