Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:48:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: SHould boris apologise?  (Read 11022 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: SHould boris apologise?
« Reply #60 on August 10, 2018, 01:18:55 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Boris has done what he always does, calculated that the number of ignorant, stupid and racially prejudiced who will like what he says and give him their support exceeds the number of those who can see what a gratuitous knob he is.

And thus, as predicted, the race card is played

Yeah, Boris Isn't a racist! He just talks like one.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on August 10, 2018, 01:38:23 pm by Filo »
Boris has done what he always does, calculated that the number of ignorant, stupid and racially prejudiced who will like what he says and give him their support exceeds the number of those who can see what a gratuitous knob he is.

Did I mention Boris?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on August 10, 2018, 02:16:30 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Did I mention Boris?

You replied to a quote that did. In a thread all about him.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:18:35 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 10, 2018, 02:24:45 pm by Filo »

Did I mention Boris?

You replied to a quote that did. In a thread all about him.

I replied to the title of the thread, I never once said wether I thought he was a racist or not, you need to read the posts properly, not read what you would like the post to say

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on August 10, 2018, 04:12:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Politically correct.

Or, as we used to say, not being an obnoxious Kitson.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 10, 2018, 05:07:23 pm by pib »
Can't take anyone seriously who uses the term "PC brigade" to complain about people not liking bigoted nonsense being spouted.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 10, 2018, 06:14:01 pm by Iberian Red »
If you want to take the comments that seriously how can a letterbox rob a f**king bank?

As New Model Army sang in the 80s,"Don't ask anymore stupid questions...."

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on August 10, 2018, 06:42:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Politically correct.

Or, as we used to say, not being an obnoxious Kitson.

Who's 'we'? The PC  brigade? The trouble with you lot is your PCness only applies to those f**king disgraceful evil bas**rd kitsons who don't share your political views.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on August 10, 2018, 10:41:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Thing is BB.

In the days before what you call “PC” and what I call “not being an obnoxious Kitson”, we had:

Prime time family comedy programmes where the audience howled with laughter at black people being called “nig-nog”, “sambo”, “nigger”, “chocolate drop”, “darkie” etc.

Football fans making monkey chants and chucking bananas at players who represented England, and chanting “there ain’t no black in the Union Jack.”

Fascist organisations calling for forceable repatriation and being supported by leading politicians.

Stop and have a think.

Do you reckon none of that happens today because those people looked into their souls and decided it wasn’t right?

Or do you think it stopped because what you call the “PC brigade” forcefully pointed out that that behaviour was what obnoxious Kitsons do, and slowly made it unacceptable for people to act like that?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on August 10, 2018, 11:37:04 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Now make your mind up BST. One minute you're suggesting PC is a figment of the imagination of the non PC 'racists' that doesn't exist, the next you're explaining what it means!

Of course those topics of the 70's and 80's can now be looked upon as outrageous, and their disappearence can be applauded, but that wasn't down to the PC brigade of today. The PC generation of today clutch at straws and troll for excuses of the most trivial preportions to call anyone racist or sexist etc in the absense of those racist and sexist field days.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on August 10, 2018, 11:48:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB
Stop and have a think.

How do you think people felt in the 1970s when they were told that saying “nigger” and rolling in the aisles at Bernard Manning or at Jim “Chalky White” Davison was unacceptable?

Do you reckon they put their hands up and said, “Yeah. Fair cop.”?

Or do you reckon they whinged about the shoulder than thou mob?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on August 11, 2018, 12:14:32 am by Bentley Bullet »
BST, you stop and have a think. Do you think that it is right that as an alternative to those days of blatant non PC racism it is right nowadays to have everything you say scrutinised for any potential racist intent, especially for political points scoring?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:20:11 am by Bentley Bullet »

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 11, 2018, 12:42:58 am by Geoff Blakesley »
Of course any racist intent should be scrutinised. What a stupid statement.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on August 11, 2018, 12:49:02 am by Bentley Bullet »
I meant scrutinised to be used as racial intent, just like you scrutinised every word I just wrote. I knew it was only a matter of time!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on August 11, 2018, 01:51:46 am by SydneyRover »
Equality watchdog attacks Boris Johnson's 'inflammatory' remarks.

Here is an intelligent woman that holds an independent position has no axe to grind and this is what she thinks about Boris' remarks.

What she says.

Rebecca Hilsenrath, the commission’s chief executive, said: “Boris Johnson’s use of language in this instance, which risks dehumanising and vilifying Muslim women, is inflammatory and divisive. Political figures should lead by example, conducting debates in a responsible manner, and language such as this can inhibit legitimate dialogue.”

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on August 11, 2018, 08:07:31 am by BillyStubbsTears »
BB

I’ve no idea. I don’t know anyone who does that. You must be very unlucky in bumping into idiots like that.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on August 11, 2018, 08:19:18 am by wilts rover »
BST, you stop and have a think. Do you think that it is right that as an alternative to those days of blatant non PC racism it is right nowadays to have everything you say scrutinised for any potential racist intent, especially for political points scoring?

If someone has a history of making comments that people have interpreted as rascist, has been filmed on camera being admonished by a senior diplomat for making comments that could be interpreted as rascist and then decides to publish a newspaper article only two weeks after newspapers highlighted a four-fold increase in hate crimes, why is it a surprise that it was scrutinised?

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on August 11, 2018, 08:30:07 am by hoolahoop »

Here is an intelligent woman that holds an independent position has no axe to grind and this is what she thinks about Boris' remarks.

What she says.

Rebecca Hilsenrath, the commission’s chief executive, said: “Boris Johnson’s use of language in this instance, which risks dehumanising and vilifying Muslim women, is inflammatory and divisive. Political figures should lead by example, conducting debates in a responsible manner, and language such as this can inhibit legitimate dialogue.”

I think that about covers it . To me it's not about being PC or not PC - it's about leading by example in much the same way that we abhor the actions of the Joey Barton's of the football world then we should hope that leading movers and shakers completely avoid using daft and dangerous language that they personally realise can be used by sections of society to legitimise racial or religious tensions. The debate even within the Muslim world appears toxic enough as it is .

As for my personal opinion , I share that of most if not all posters on here in that I don't like any form of unnecessary attire or mutilation designed to demean or restrict women or men for that matter.

I believe there are strong reasons for society to debate this but not to parody it. Silly statements dressed up as jokes only serve to embolden Far Right groups / Parties.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on August 11, 2018, 08:52:39 am by Bentley Bullet »
Make the goalposts wider and there will be goals scored that would have been wide of the mark before.

Goals scored by calling Thomas the tank engine and Snow White racist, for instance, increase the racist figures but don't reflect a true increase in racism.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on August 11, 2018, 09:08:58 am by Axholme Lion »

What she says.

Anyone who works for an organisation called the 'equality watchdog' has clearly made a career of being a busybody PC zealot.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on August 11, 2018, 09:20:25 am by IDM »
Make the goalposts wider and there will be goals scored that would have been wide of the mark before.

Goals scored by calling Thomas the tank engine and Snow White racist, for instance, increase the racist figures but don't reflect a true increase in racism.

Interesting you bring up Thomas the Tank.  One of the storybooks in that series still had the word “nigger” in it, in the early 70s.. I remember it and the context in which it was used - naughty boys getting blasted in soot and “running away as black as niggers”..

The story now says “... as black as coal”..

That’s in a kids book FFS, meaning kids like me aged 5 in the early 70s would have seen such a word as normal..

However these days we are much more aware of other cultures and beliefs and behaviours, so Boris’ choice of words are about 30-40 years out of date..

As a senior politician writing in a serious newspaper he should know better not to use such words, even as a joke..

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on August 11, 2018, 09:23:41 am by IDM »

What she says.

Anyone who works for an organisation called the 'equality watchdog' has clearly made a career of being a busybody PC zealot.

Anyone? Is that fair?

Is it fair if I said anyone strongly opposing such agencies is a bigot?  Probably not..

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on August 11, 2018, 10:17:13 am by wilts rover »

When has calling Thomas the tank engine and Snow White racist increased racist figures?

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 11, 2018, 11:28:04 am by Axholme Lion »

What she says.

Anyone? Is that fair?

Is it fair if I said anyone strongly opposing such agencies is a bigot?  Probably not..

Well why else would you want to work for such an organisation?

It's like saying you were a member of the SS but weren't really a Nazi.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on August 11, 2018, 12:00:07 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

What she says.

Anyone? Is that fair?

Why would someone want to work for such an organisation? Because they want to promote equality! As you seem to like analogies, to label everybody who works for such an organisation would be like labelling every Millwall supporter a thug.

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 11, 2018, 01:17:56 pm by Geoff Blakesley »

What she says.

Anyone? Is that fair?

Or if you work for the police you're likely to be racist ?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/22/police-still-institutionally-racist-25-years-stephen-lawrence/

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on August 11, 2018, 06:30:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »

When has calling Thomas the tank engine and Snow White racist increased racist figures?

Since the PC brigade decided to use them as examples of racism.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on August 12, 2018, 06:30:53 am by hoolahoop »

Yep and dwaaarfist- look at the demeaning names that some of them have and how she makes them work. Hi-ho suppose that's life really never felt strongly about either but I'm sure some could make a case for it

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on August 12, 2018, 07:15:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Them sanctimonious, holier than thou PC busybodies, eh? Complaining about a kids’ book having the word “nigger” in it and demanding that it should be removed.

See, here’s a thing. These stories about the interfering PC mob tend to fall into two classes.

1) Turns out there WAS a serious issue that DID require someone to raise it and get it sorted out (e.g. the word “nigger” in kids’ books).

2) Turns our the story never actually happened (e.g. these stories about the PC mob stopping people celebrating Xmas or waving the St George flag, which everyone KNOWS has happened, but no-one can ever show any evidence for).

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on August 12, 2018, 07:30:22 am by hoolahoop »
Them sanctimonious, holier than thou PC busybodies, eh? Complaining about a kids’ book having the word “nigger” in it and demanding that it should be removed.

See, here’s a thing. These stories about the interfering PC mob tend to fall into two classes.

1) Turns out there WAS a serious issue that DID require someone to raise it and get it sorted out (e.g. the word “nigger” in kids’ books).

2) Turns our the story never actually happened (e.g. these stories about the PC mob stopping people celebrating Xmas or waving the St George flag, which everyone KNOWS has happened, but no-one can ever show any evidence for).

The 2) one being used by sensationalist Right Wing rags to demonstrate how the EU " stops "   us doing things is particularly annoying.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012