Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 18, 2018, 03:15:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Affiliates and Campaigns

Twitter

Author Topic: National League thread...  (Read 1729 times)

Rigoglioso

• Forum Member
National League thread...
« on August 11, 2018, 11:45:38 PM by Rigoglioso »
Can't find the particular thread where some of us were discussing the goings on in the Conference Premier, but bloody hell... absolutely hats off to Solihull Moors who won again today and are doing a right good job of getting early points in the bag.

9/9, joint top, and they're absolutely flying. Didn't see that coming!

I see moneybags Salford also got beat at Sutton, so no surprises they're learning the hard way, and 1/9 shows that money achieves f*ck all, if you haven't got the balls to work hard in a tough and physical league.

I was lucky (or unlucky, if you prefer) to see Gateshead v Dover. Both teams went long ball as expected, Gateshead were better in open play and deservedly won it late on. Didn't think much to Dover whatsoever and I thought they might challenge this year - don't know where I got that belief from because they were dreadful in all areas!  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Nortei Nortey, probably the best ever named footballer - ever, also flattered to deceive for about the 5th time I've seen him - he must get moves on the back of his name, or have a damn good agent, because he's got no footballing ability.

Off to Bromley v Gateshead next week, then Solihull v Wrexham on Bank Holiday Monday.

Anyone else doing any games coming up soon? - If nothing else, it's worth a day out even if it's just for cheap thrills, good craic and to watch a football match.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
    • Bottom Of The Barrel
Re: National League thread...
« Reply #1 on August 12, 2018, 12:08:03 AM by Herman Hessian »
Anyone else doing any games coming up soon? - If nothing else, it's worth a day out even if it's just for cheap thrills, good craic and to watch a football match.

lewes v carshalton athletic this afternoon, and either tunbridge wells v croydon (fa cup replay) or tonbridge v lewes on tuesday evening...)

Rigoglioso

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 12, 2018, 12:22:32 AM by Rigoglioso »
Just seen Dagenham's attendance today... 1,069 vs Maidenhead. They're under all sorts of financial constraints and pressures this season so that's not helping and they haven't had a good start - I thought they might do, so I got that one wrong as well!

Think it might be the year where they finally drop back down to the sort of level they were at 20+ years ago, just after the merger and everything else.

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 12, 2018, 12:34:08 AM by Harrogate Rover »
My local team Harrogate Town have had a steady start to their first ever season in the Conference. I went to see them last Saturday where but for a late penalty equaliser, they should have beaten Sutton United, who last season finished 3rd. They've followed that up with creditable away draws at Hartlepool and Bromley.
I'm going to see them play Barnet on Tuesday night. Would definatley recommend a visit to Wetherby Road if you like a bit of non league football as they are very easy on the eye.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 12, 2018, 02:30:09 AM by RobTheRover »
Sponsored by CNG too. I know a few of them there.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 12, 2018, 11:09:43 AM by The Red Baron »
I saw the Moors on Tuesday against Maidenhead. The Moors were much the better side and should have won by more than 1-0. Another 1-0 yesterday and I understand they had a bit of luck. However they look a decent side, with a nice balance of youth and experience, and I think they should survive.

Rigoglioso

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 12, 2018, 11:54:57 AM by Rigoglioso »
My local team Harrogate Town have had a steady start to their first ever season in the Conference. I went to see them last Saturday where but for a late penalty equaliser, they should have beaten Sutton United, who last season finished 3rd. They've followed that up with creditable away draws at Hartlepool and Bromley.
I'm going to see them play Barnet on Tuesday night. Would definatley recommend a visit to Wetherby Road if you like a bit of non league football as they are very easy on the eye.

Went to the same game. I guess you were wearing that black and green away shirt from last season?

Think Harrogate will do alright to be fair. Surprised they haven't had a better return than 3/9 so far, but they've got a decent blend of what's needed to do alright at this level - someone's going to get an absolute tonking at Wetherby Road by them at some stage as well.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
    • https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com/8-386-1827?__lrTS=20170508043836238&transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)&firstPage=true&bhcp=1
« Reply #7 on August 12, 2018, 01:23:28 PM by Colemans Left Hook »
OK

here we go

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=266683.60

Yesterday salford scored first sutton equalised -- then sutton had a man sent off and still managed to win 2-1   --  i expected a draw

so we have chessie 9 points Saltford 1 point  as i've said before ...

let's assume chessie win at Barrow & Saltford win home against Halifax thats 12 points v 4 points

then it's Chessie with estimated 1500 fans at Saltford on Saturday

win that - which is becoming more of a possibiity -- and it's 15 points v 4 points . goodnight vienna - this division could be over (hopefully)by October 1st when 14 matches have been played. egg on face ???

It dawned on me over the last few days that Salford will get nowhere near the top of this league and been advising people to back Chessie each way -- as a bet for nothing

my original no risk suggestion 7/2 Chessie for promotion is now 9/4

due to all the money down the drain on Salford the price of 4/1 each way  Chesie is truely remarkable --  Chessie haven't let a goal in yet  didn't play all that well yesterday.

By the way Wrexham got a 1.25 million or was it 1.5 million sell on fee when Liverpool sold a reserve goalie for 8 million 

Yet At half time yesterday (match on bt sports) i saw the first half highlights of Wrexham v Borehamwood.  Borehamwood have sold a lot of their family silver -  they had loads of chances in the first half it was embarrasing -- havent watched the match yet but amazed of a final score of wrexham 3 borehamwood 0 . 

Wrexham could have been brown bread at half time so don't know what to make of them at the moment
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:37:38 PM by Colemans Left Hook »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 12, 2018, 06:06:51 PM by Campsall rover »
Any new signings of note? I noticed a few new names I was unfamiliar with.
Give them a shout from me on Tues. I will be at Scunthorpe.
Think Town will hold their own and be mid table, what do you think?

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 12, 2018, 07:59:23 PM by Monkcaster_Rover »

Signed a local lad. Callum Howe. Got them a last minute equaliser other week. Very good player at that level. Not been given a proper chance in league 2 yet.

Joe Leesley is destined for bigger things as well.

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 12, 2018, 09:39:26 PM by Harrogate Rover »

Went to the same game. I guess you were wearing that black and green away shirt from last season?

Think Harrogate will do alright to be fair. Surprised they haven't had a better return than 3/9 so far, but they've got a decent blend of what's needed to do alright at this level - someone's going to get an absolute tonking at Wetherby Road by them at some stage as well.

Yes that would almost certainly be me, you should have given me a shout!
They should have beaten Sutton, think they gave them a bit to much respect. Mark Beck Towns big centre forward is out injured and I think when he comes back he could be a difference.

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 12, 2018, 10:08:24 PM by Harrogate Rover »

The big signing was Aaron Williams from Brackley who was top scorer in the Conference North last season. Donny born centre half Callum Howe who has knows this league well having played for Lincoln. Kelvin Langmead who has played over 350 league games for Shrewsbury, Peterborough and Northampton is a good old head at this level too. Jack Muldoon who apparantly played for Rovers youth team in 2007/8 is a winger/ striker signed from Fylde. Liam Kitching who they had on loan from Leeds last season has returned too. All the new signings have all fitted in nicely.
10 of the 11 that started in the play off final are still with the club, only John McCombe the centre half was released. Big striker Mark Beck who was stretchered off in that final, is someone who, when he comes back, could make a difference.
I think they'll be OK, they've got a good spine and they've got a good blend of skill, graft and pace, youth and experience. They've also got a very good keeper.
Be nice to get that first win under their belts though.

Rigoglioso

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 13, 2018, 12:12:58 AM by Rigoglioso »

The big signing was Aaron Williams from Brackley who was top scorer in the Conference North last season. Donny born centre half Callum Howe who has knows this league well having played for Lincoln. Kelvin Langmead who has played over 350 league games for Shrewsbury, Peterborough and Northampton is a good old head at this level too. Jack Muldoon who apparantly played for Rovers youth team in 2007/8 is a winger/ striker signed from Fylde. Liam Kitching who they had on loan from Leeds last season has returned too. All the new signings have all fitted in nicely.
10 of the 11 that started in the play off final are still with the club, only John McCombe the centre half was released. Big striker Mark Beck who was stretchered off in that final, is someone who, when he comes back, could make a difference.
I think they'll be OK, they've got a good spine and they've got a good blend of skill, graft and pace, youth and experience. They've also got a very good keeper.

John McCombe, bloody hell, he was at Mansfield for one season about five years ago. He was a nice guy and everything, just on the pitch I've seen oil tankers turn quicker.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
    • https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com/8-386-1827?__lrTS=20170508043836238&transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)&firstPage=true&bhcp=1
« Reply #13 on August 13, 2018, 01:12:26 AM by Colemans Left Hook »

John McCombe, bloody hell, he was at Mansfield for one season about five years ago. He was a nice guy and everything, just on the pitch I've seen oil tankers turn quicker.

funny thing is they used to say the same thing about Harry Maguire on radio da da

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 13, 2018, 08:45:53 AM by Campsall rover »

Thanks for that Harrogate Rover. Thought John McCombe might be released, will be too slow for that league now must be 38 ish. Beck at that level might struggle I thought but his height is always going to be a threat.
Langmead I had heard of now you mentioned Shrewsbury & Northampton.
Williams I didnt realise it was the Brackley striker. Great signing.
Top 10 is definitely achievable with that squad I think.
I might get to the Wrexham game on Tues 25th Sept. Rovers dont have a game. :thumbsup:

Rigoglioso

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 14, 2018, 11:33:57 AM by Rigoglioso »
Just noticed that Halifax are charging 20 this season and have come up with an explanation to try and justify it.

Salford, interestingly, are only charging 10.

Rigoglioso

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 14, 2018, 10:47:43 PM by Rigoglioso »
Well, another night of weird results, and now Wrexham are top of the league.

Surprised Chesterfield lost at Barrow as I thought they'd go up there and pick up a pretty routine win.

Even though it's early days I'd be surprised if any of the current bottom four - Havant, Maidenhead, Dagenham and Braintree - climb the league much and I think a couple of them will occupy the relegation spots by the end of the season.

Couldn't make it to a Conference game tonight so had to settle for Rotherham v Wigan instead (and if you think the Keepmoat is bad, that place is like the quietest library in South Yorkshire).

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 14, 2018, 11:30:02 PM by Campsall rover »

Surprised Chesterfield lost at Barrow as I thought they'd go up there and pick up a pretty routine win.

Even though it's early days I'd be surprised if any of the current bottom four - Havant, Maidenhead, Dagenham and Braintree - climb the league much and I think a couple of them will occupy the relegation spots by the end of the season.

Couldn't make it to a Conference game tonight so had to settle for Rotherham v Wigan instead (and if you think the Keepmoat is bad, that place is like the quietest library in South Yorkshire).
Why go to Rotherham when you could surely have gone to Scunthorpe?
You missed a treat.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 14, 2018, 11:31:24 PM by Campsall rover »
Great result for Harrogate Town 2-0 against Barnet.
A very solid start to the season. :thumbsup:

Rigoglioso

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 14, 2018, 11:48:01 PM by Rigoglioso »

Why go to Rotherham when you could surely have gone to Scunthorpe?
You missed a treat.

I prefer Rotherham's stadium to Scunthorpe's, much nicer and a better location for public transport, and I couldn't be arsed with faffing about trying to catch the last train back to Donny - and it's only a cup competition after all.

Not surprised by Harrogate's result - they'll be a few teams go there and come back with their tails planted firmly between their legs.

Next 'random' game is Bromley v Gateshead on Saturday, and I've possibly got Sutton v Halifax on 1st September as well now, in addition to Solihull v Wrexham in a couple of weeks.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 15, 2018, 11:07:17 AM by Colemans Left Hook »

Pretty disasterous set of results last night Chessie managed to get ahead man sent off and let in 2 goals in 3 minutes I thought i's bettter check out the bloke who scored both the goals in case he's jamie vardy in disguise and surprise surprise he is a kid on loan from the Blades -so that's a fullstop. Chessie also got a bad injury so that chance to win the league by October has gone and it's consolidation for the big one Saturday. Obvious play off contender Orient won & Salford finally got over the line

I would not be surprised to see Borehamwood near the bottom no fans and sold a lot of family silver they used to loan players from barnet by the dozen

Eastleigh as we know were the moneybags experts at wasting money to the extreme martin Allen joined mid season some time after the Barnet air raid on the keepmoat and left after about 10 weeks .  Have had a couple of wins ---  the point is the owner Mr Moneybags had holes in his moneybag and it all went down the drain -- as a result of that experience I would never back Sunderland at short odds

and a word for hartlepool   bloke let it slip that Liam Noble plays for them "manufactured" a release from Forest Green early last season and had to sit it out til January before he was allowed to play for Notts County ---  weird this a damn good player expert free kicks -- this shows Harlepool will be signing better players and rising up the league target 7th place

Notts County
In October 2017, Noble signed for a second spell at Notts County on an 18 Month contract starting on 1 January 2018.[11] On 30 June 2018, Noble left Notts County by mutual consent.[12]

B

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 15, 2018, 11:10:16 AM by GazLaz »
Orient won and thats what matters! Come on you Os!!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 15, 2018, 04:22:40 PM by NickDRFC »
I see Salford won as well, season up and running for them?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 15, 2018, 04:31:26 PM by GazLaz »

They already seem quite reliant on Rooney for goals. It may be a struggle for them if he gets injured.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 15, 2018, 07:09:25 PM by NickDRFC »

They already seem quite reliant on Rooney for goals. It may be a struggle for them if he gets injured.

Do they operate to the same transfer windows? Seem to remember when we we in the conference that we signed Dools and Blundell only a few weeks from the end of the season - I know the league has moved on a lot since but if its still the same Id imagine theyd just go out and buy someone else in 5 grand a week!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 15, 2018, 07:14:22 PM by RedJ »
They can sign players up until some time in March I'm fairly sure.

Rigoglioso

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 15, 2018, 07:44:30 PM by Rigoglioso »

Do they operate to the same transfer windows? Seem to remember when we we in the conference that we signed Dools and Blundell only a few weeks from the end of the season - I know the league has moved on a lot since but if its still the same Id imagine theyd just go out and buy someone else in 5 grand a week!

I think they can't make permanent transfers, unless players are free agents obviously and even then there's certain criteria, but they can do loan deals.

One of the ways to get round it though is to pay an excessive loan fee for a player with an option to buy said player for a nominal fee at the end of that loan.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
    • Into The Empty Net
« Reply #27 on August 15, 2018, 07:47:50 PM by RoversAlias »

We did that because it was before the implementation of the modern summer/winter transfer window, which I believe came into effect for the 2003/04 season.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 15, 2018, 07:49:38 PM by RedJ »

I think they can't make permanent transfers, unless players are free agents obviously and even then there's certain criteria, but they can do loan deals.

One of the ways to get round it though is to pay an excessive loan fee for a player with an option to buy said player for a nominal fee at the end of that loan.

Think they can sign players from each other on permanent deals (or lower down too obviously) but not from the Football League.

Rigoglioso

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 15, 2018, 07:50:12 PM by Rigoglioso »

We did that because it was before the implementation of the modern summer/winter transfer window, which I believe came into effect for the 2003/04 season.

Wasn't it even later than that? IIRC, Neil Roberts joined on a permanent deal mid-season from Wigan, but sometime before Christmas? And Adriano Rigoglioso a year earlier.