Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:35:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Fans fearfull of travelling to Scunthorpe game with kids in tow  (Read 5074 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
I read in one of the Scunny v DF wrap ups yesterday and my apologies as I forget the posters details about a DR fan not wanting to take his kids to the game because of a risk of violence. Does anyone think it would be worth the VSC writing to Scunthorpe and trying to get them to take some action or for them to condemn this type of behaviour at their club?.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: Fans fearfull of travelling to Scunthorpe game with kids in tow
« Reply #1 on August 15, 2018, 11:18:32 pm by the vicar »
I was there with my wife and to us the trouble was not a problem as it was in one corner, and inside and outside of the ground it was well controled by the police

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
Aah our 8 st stone island halfwits. The pride of Doncaster, I’ve had harder shites than that lot.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 16, 2018, 12:18:45 am by Barmby Rover »
That is a sort of encouragement to the idiots involved, what really annoyed me was all the other idiots standing up to watch what was going off. I go to see football not see some moron with an IQ less than that of a US president. The same idiots (both sides) were the cause of trouble at Rotherham last season. I am not keen on going to any more away matches, and if we encourage these "people" then I may stop going all together.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 16, 2018, 07:42:48 am by LincsRover »
It’s a problem at all our local derbies and I’m now considering not going to them, not because of my safety (I can look after myself) but that of my mum. She’s desperate to go to any that she can travel to easily, but she has osteoporosis, COPD and other issues, and hasn’t been well for some time but loves away games - but she can’t stand up for more than a few minutes. I always buy tickets towards the front to avoid standers but it seems that at every local game moronic d*ckheads stand up at the front meaning all those who can’t stand all game can’t see anything. There is no talking to them and I’ve been close a time or two to teaching them some manners, but that wouldn’t help as I’d be the one kicked out, leaving mum alone with them. Combine that with pushing past to get to opposing fans (one tw*t even knocked her over at the Rotherham game trying to get to a steward - hopefully my finger marks are still embedded in his neck), throwing objects and generally having no respect for anyone and, much as she loves it, I fear for her safety.

We’re going to burton as there is separation of standing and seating so hopefully not an issue there, but I dread the discussion with her about Barnsley, scummy in the league, etc..  :suicide:

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 16, 2018, 08:02:53 am by Nudga »
I haven't been in ages, my kids can't relax and enjoy it, home or away. The last 4 or 5 games we've been to, some bellends have spoiled it.
Even sat in the family stand some big d**khead in a red coat pushed my lad into the concrete wall so he could get out quickly at the end of the match.
My kids don't really enjoy it as there seems to be a bad atmosphere in one form or another.
Im not saying we'll never go again but might just wait till my youngest boy is a bit older.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
To add to these comments my brother stopped going to away games because of this bad behaviour some time ago. There is a problem and that is clear by the amount of comments being made. It needs to be dealt with effectively and as soon as possible. I don't get to derby games only the occasional away games and I admit I have not seen any trouble with the exception of the Arsenal game, which was inspired by excessive alcohol consumption of a group of mid twenty year olds who should have known better.
Do we put up with it? or do we let the kids effectively put our mature, good supporters off?

What can we do to stop it?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 16, 2018, 08:21:36 am by dickos1 »
I was with my 4 year old on Tuesday in the middle of them all, all the front rows they were stood up, most not even watching the game. To be fair a few of them were showing concern that he couldn’t see.
But we moved and sat in the corner and it was fine there.
Until we left and got caught up in a mini riot outside.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 16, 2018, 08:36:53 am by graingrover »
This only goes to underline the importance of the away supporters family area recently set up by Rovers .It should be publicised loud and clear to all our visiting clubs well ahead of fixtures.

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
Part of the problem at Scunthorpe is that the away fans have to walk past the home fans to get to their vehicles, etc. I really am surprised that they haven't done anything to rectify this over the years.

Of course, if someone is going to go just for the Agro, then chances are they're going to find it.

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 16, 2018, 08:52:00 am by Jersey Rover »
Maybe the club should identify the trouble makers and ban them. Do we really need so called supporters like that?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 16, 2018, 08:55:51 am by idler »
Maybe we need to bring back PC Patterson to go to away games in uniform and stand in the crowd.🙂

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 16, 2018, 09:08:59 am by DaveDRFC »
I read in one of the Scunny v DF wrap ups yesterday and my apologies as I forget the posters details about a DR fan not wanting to take his kids to the game because of a risk of violence. Does anyone think it would be worth the VSC writing to Scunthorpe and trying to get them to take some action or for them to condemn this type of behaviour at their club?.

The way I read it was they didn't want to take kids because of the behaviour of OUR fans, not Scunny's.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 16, 2018, 09:31:18 am by Donnywolf »
A mate was on Train back to Thorne with his Wife and other normal people heading from work and some with their Kids

He said the journey was disgusting as the Rovers Fans (plain clothes) swore all the time and sang Chants again mostly the ones with bad language. Their numbers swelled at Stainy and my mate said they obviously knew each other and it was more of the same till he got off. The Kids did not seem to give a s**t he said - oblivious to the Kids and Ladies sat next to them

At the game there was obviously the face off in the corner but whereas in the past I would have found myself watching (especially for thrown objects) I ignored what was going off and was out of range of any missiles

Afterwards I walked back to my Car having met Mrs DW (shopping Tescos for 3 hours ? beats me !) and we ran slap bang into some plain clothed kids. They were exchanging pleasantries with some local girls and boys but really it was of the "my Brothers bigger than your Brother" type of sparring and they did not get to fighting. It took me a while to realise these were Rovers Fans on way back to Station.

Lots of Scunny "fans" were rounded up and diverted away from B&Q and turned back toward the Ground again they had no Shirts Scarves etc - and they were looking for trouble but the irony is they probably dont know who is who if oppo fans have no id either

Bizarrely the Fans with Shirts mixed before during and after the Game at local outlets such as McDs and all seemed quiet and they tolerated each other

I was in at the start of the Hooliganism (though not in any direct action kind of way) in the 60s when there were no replica Shirts and when you were wary of wearing a Scarf or even speaking for fear of giving yourself away. It quite quickly grew into the Tribal war some of you will remember but the younger ones wont where violence was commonplace and was met with retribution once your Team played the next time against the Team that had "done you" at their place

Shop windows broken - Coaches bricked etc etc and take it from me it was not the least bit pleasant expecially going away when you maybe travelled by Train knowing you had to run the gauntlet of the home fans when you were going to and coming from the Ground as well as around and in the Ground. Coach travel was equally problematic and you knew it was going to get "bricked" and probably have windows broken. So you could be injured or face a cold journey home in December back to Donny from wherever

Since then the problem had begun to go away and as a normal Fan it still gives me a "kick" seeing Fans wearing their Shirts anywhere and everywhere. Fans mixing openly and in a friendly way Colchester v Rovers Fans Park Rovers v Wycombe Fans Park being good examples. A chance to meet oppo fans who lets face it "love" their Team like you "love" yours and have a bit of banter. Believe me that is MUCH MUCH better that what I was in at the start of and endured (there is no other word) for probably 20 years.

It will be a great pity if this new era (which has now been going for a great many years) degenerates back to what we had which was intolerable - dont just accept or reject my opinion ask your Dads and Granddads - and we dont want back at any price.

How we stop it now (again) is another question but really we must somehow because in the days of the big Football Crowds pre Sixties men in flat hats stood together and applauded each others Goals (cant see that returning) - which quickly descended into segregation.

Segregation remains in the Ground but we dont want it anywhere else. The people on here who dont want to take their Children I really do feel for. This is after all supposed to be a Sport, Entertainment a distraction from your job and the cares of the world and they should not be fearful of getting caught up problems and violence caused by a few. The anti social stuff just has to be stopped somehow though it will be easier to say than do

silent majority

• VSC Member
It seems to me that there are two issues here, the behaviour of fans and the standing at the front.

The problem we have had, and continue to have, is that all seater stadiums cause disruption because supporters, and it seems growing numbers of supporters, wish to stand amongst the seats. This is a major problem at away games because the seat allocation, and physical layout, is much reduced as a rule. Of course  that doesn't excuse those who wish to stand at the front when seats are available elsewhere, that's just bad manners. Of course the changes which are coming with regard to 'safe standing' will solve the vast majority of these issues inside stadiums.

However, I do believe that the SLO at DRFC should be taking more of a lead with these particular problems and he has the opportunity to make a difference. An SLO is appointed to be 'by the club, for the fans' and in effect should be voicing his opinion, and that of the club, with these younger supporters. If he doesn't know who they are then he should. He should be trusted by the fans and the club and should be speaking as an intermediary.

As for fan behaviour outside stadiums that is very much a Police issue. I'm sure the spotters and Police Liaison Officers know who these kids are and no doubt will be having words in the right areas. I'd just let them get on with their job.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 16, 2018, 10:37:08 am by drfchound »
A mate was on Train back to Thorne with his Wife and other normal people heading from work and some with their Kids

He said the journey was disgusting as the Rovers Fans (plain clothes) swore all the time and sang Chants again mostly the ones with bad language. Their numbers swelled at Stainy and my mate said they obviously knew each other and it was more of the same till he got off. The Kids did not seem to give a s**t he said - oblivious to the Kids and Ladies sat next to them

At the game there was obviously the face off in the corner but whereas in the past I would have found myself watching (especially for thrown objects) I ignored what was going off and was out of range of any missiles

Afterwards I walked back to my Car having met Mrs DW (shopping Tescos for 3 hours ? beats me !) and we ran slap bang into some plain clothed kids. They were exchanging pleasantries with some local girls and boys but really it was of the "my Brothers bigger than your Brother" type of sparring and they did not get to fighting. It took me a while to realise these were Rovers Fans on way back to Station.

Lots of Scunny "fans" were rounded up and diverted away from B&Q and turned back toward the Ground again they had no Shirts Scarves etc - and they were looking for trouble but the irony is they probably dont know who is who if oppo fans have no id either

Bizarrely the Fans with Shirts mixed before during and after the Game at local outlets such as McDs and all seemed quiet and they tolerated each other

I was in at the start of the Hooliganism (though not in any direct action kind of way) in the 60s when there were no replica Shirts and when you were wary of wearing a Scarf or even speaking for fear of giving yourself away. It quite quickly grew into the Tribal war some of you will remember but the younger ones wont where violence was commonplace and was met with retribution once your Team played the next time against the Team that had "done you" at their place

Shop windows broken - Coaches bricked etc etc and take it from me it was not the least bit pleasant expecially going away when you maybe travelled by Train knowing you had to run the gauntlet of the home fans when you were going to and coming from the Ground as well as around and in the Ground. Coach travel was equally problematic and you knew it was going to get "bricked" and probably have windows broken. So you could be injured or face a cold journey home in December back to Donny from wherever

Since then the problem had begun to go away and as a normal Fan it still gives me a "kick" seeing Fans wearing their Shirts anywhere and everywhere. Fans mixing openly and in a friendly way Colchester v Rovers Fans Park Rovers v Wycombe Fans Park being good examples. A chance to meet oppo fans who lets face it "love" their Team like you "love" yours and have a bit of banter. Believe me that is MUCH MUCH better that what I was in at the start of and endured (there is no other word) for probably 20 years.

It will be a great pity if this new era (which has now been going for a great many years) degenerates back to what we had which was intolerable - dont just accept or reject my opinion ask your Dads and Granddads - and we dont want back at any price.

How we stop it now (again) is another question but really we must somehow because in the days of the big Football Crowds pre Sixties men in flat hats stood together and applauded each others Goals (cant see that returning) - which quickly descended into segregation.

Segregation remains in the Ground but we dont want it anywhere else. The people on here who dont want to take their Children I really do feel for. This is after all supposed to be a Sport, Entertainment a distraction from your job and the cares of the world and they should not be fearful of getting caught up problems and violence caused by a few. The anti social stuff just has to be stopped somehow though it will be easier to say than do

Wolfie, your post reminds me of the bad old days from the sixties and seventies when it was very unsafe to go to away games.
Much of what you say reflect my feelings and I have written on anther thread about a close pal of mine who now is reluctant to go to away games because of the way some of our spotty so called hard lads conduct themselves.
He says that it just isn't enjoyable anymore.
It is very noticeable that the stone island brigade are trying to make a name for themselves but the odd thing is that I have yet to see them engage with the opposition fans.
All hot air perhaps but they actually do argue and fall out with our own fans on a regular basis, often because of inconsiderate behaviour.
It does spoil the away day experience.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 05:44:06 pm by drfchound »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 16, 2018, 11:23:05 am by dickos1 »
It seems to me that there are two issues here, the behaviour of fans and the standing at the front.

The problem we have had, and continue to have, is that all seater stadiums cause disruption because supporters, and it seems growing numbers of supporters, wish to stand amongst the seats. This is a major problem at away games because the seat allocation, and physical layout, is much reduced as a rule. Of course  that doesn't excuse those who wish to stand at the front when seats are available elsewhere, that's just bad manners. Of course the changes which are coming with regard to 'safe standing' will solve the vast majority of these issues inside stadiums.

However, I do believe that the SLO at DRFC should be taking more of a lead with these particular problems and he has the opportunity to make a difference. An SLO is appointed to be 'by the club, for the fans' and in effect should be voicing his opinion, and that of the club, with these younger supporters. If he doesn't know who they are then he should. He should be trusted by the fans and the club and should be speaking as an intermediary.

As for fan behaviour outside stadiums that is very much a Police issue. I'm sure the spotters and Police Liaison Officers know who these kids are and no doubt will be having words in the right areas. I'd just let them get on with their job.

I tend to agree
The standing at the front is poor form, is been sat there with my boy for almost an hour before kick off and then a couple of minutes before kick off they all came in and stood at the front.
I have some sympathy because the stewards refused to open the end section of seats and it was packed due to people being allowed to just pay cash on the gate and not be given a ticket with a seat.
Outside the ground it is very much a police job but it doesn’t alter the fact that some of our fans are making going to games a negative experience

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 16, 2018, 12:05:50 pm by Axholme Lion »
Do the allocated seat numbers actually count for away games?
I thought you could sit wherever you wanted to? That way you could move away from any idiots.

silent majority

• VSC Member
I thought you could sit wherever you wanted to? That way you could move away from any idiots.

The problem then of course is that when crowds sit anywhere they like they take up much more room. This then has a knock on effect of overcrowding due to clubs being reluctant to open up their overflow area unless they feel they have no choice. This appears to be the case on Tuesday evening.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 16, 2018, 12:33:46 pm by Scooter »
I took my 8 year old lad. We stood right at the back but to the left of the goal (from behind). We were well away from the stand off in the corner. We both had our shirts on. At the end I always let the rush go and tell him to stick with me and don’t be cheeky to other fans and we feel really safe.
My belief is that trouble is there for those who look for it but for the normal fan it’s always a positive experience. Don’t let the minority spoil it

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 16, 2018, 01:06:33 pm by Axholme Lion »

The problem then of course is that when crowds sit anywhere they like they take up much more room. This then has a knock on effect of overcrowding due to clubs being reluctant to open up their overflow area unless they feel they have no choice. This appears to be the case on Tuesday evening.

I know some clubs don't sell out the whole stand in order to allow a bit more free movement.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 16, 2018, 01:58:53 pm by dickos1 »

They weren’t issuing tickets to people paying on the gate though so obviously they had to sit anywhere. And then people with tickets were accusing them of sitting in their seat

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 16, 2018, 02:20:26 pm by Axholme Lion »

Well that's Scunny's fault then. You can't allocate seats to half the crowd and let the other half sit where they want. It should be all or nothing.
They weren’t issuing tickets to people paying on the gate though so obviously they had to sit anywhere. And then people with tickets were accusing them of sitting in their seat

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 16, 2018, 02:35:00 pm by Donnywolf »
As I understood it (from a Steward) SUFC issued Tickets from end to end of that Stand

So some people had Seat Numbers 1 to about 20. However they kept that Section closed and told people from the outset to "sit where they wanted" - which will be why they did not issue me a Ticket when I paid on the night because they "knew" it was sit anywhere *

* They were guilt of not telling everyone though and so there were a few niggles

When I went to Rotherham though I went to my Seat and my 2 companions and I were told by th people already Seated - NO - its sit where you want mate.

I asked the Stewards at the nearest Point whether that was true and they said No - it is sit where your Ticket says. However they refused to sfift the people in my Seat - so you cant win

Hope Burton is grab a seat

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 16, 2018, 03:39:38 pm by Axholme Lion »
As I understood it (from a Steward) SUFC issued Tickets from end to end of that Stand

So some people had Seat Numbers 1 to about 20. However they kept that Section closed and told people from the outset to "sit where they wanted" - which will be why they did not issue me a Ticket when I paid on the night because they "knew" it was sit anywhere *

* They were guilt of not telling everyone though and so there were a few niggles

When I went to Rotherham though I went to my Seat and my 2 companions and I were told by th people already Seated - NO - its sit where you want mate.

I asked the Stewards at the nearest Point whether that was true and they said No - it is sit where your Ticket says. However they refused to sfift the people in my Seat - so you cant win

Hope Burton is grab a seat

Burton is all standing except for a small section at the side of the pitch in the corner of the main stand. It was packed out when I went last year, just like old times. It was great.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 16, 2018, 06:06:40 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Does that mean you think its down to the old and infirm to have to schlepp themselves round the ground every time some arsehole wants to stand up in front of them? Haven't they paid just as much to have a decent view of the game as everybody else?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 16, 2018, 06:49:04 pm by idler »
As my seats are on the front row I wonder if anyone refusing to move from my seat when I arrive  will object to me standing right in front of them?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 16, 2018, 07:38:53 pm by the vicar »
Maybe the club should identify the trouble makers and ban them. Do we really need so called supporters like that?
o know we should stop them but if we keep banning fans we won't have way one there to watch the games

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 16, 2018, 08:06:36 pm by Donnywolf »

Does that mean you think its down to the old and infirm to have to schlepp themselves round the ground every time some arsehole wants to stand up in front of them? Haven't they paid just as much to have a decent view of the game as everybody else?

Well actually most of them wont have paid as much - but I know what you mean - serious valid point - it needs sorting again

silent majority

• VSC Member
Interesting story from this years World Cup. In Kaliningrad for the Eng v Belgium game we were actually on the 2nd row, stood as usual. In front of us were two blokes who wanted to sit and around them of course everybody else was stood. For the best part of 20 minutes this argument raged about not being able to see or having to stand etc etc. In the end I tapped the bloke on the shoulder who wanted to sit and said that I sympathised with his position, but you've spent thousands of pounds travelling the world to acquire the points needed to apply for tickets for this game and now having spent many hours travelling you're here and have decided to argue with the bloke next to you instead of watching the game!!

The penny dropped, he agreed with me and spent the rest of the game chatting away to the bloke at the side of him instead of arguing!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012