Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:54:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: "Everything in Club Doncaster makes a profit apart from the football club"  (Read 3926 times)

the vicar

• Forum Member
I hope it's a move for the good

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Realistically for this model to work longer term we need to start disposing of players for top top money. Since Wellens and Mills we haven’t had proper money for anyone - Sharp was robbed from us for pennies.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
When you take everything in to account how you are going to set your stall out i.e setting ticket prices, estimating revenue based on those prices, you come up with a benchmark which should bring in an amount of income from attendances, which in turn is taken into consideration to set the budget.

Anything above the benchmark is likely to limit the losses based on what the owners are prepared to chuck in each year. Below that figure means the losses would be greater as there's less income than projected.

When they say break even figure, it doesn't mean that literally. It means a figure that, if achieved, they got the sums right!

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
I don't think it's a particularly confusing picture, as bfyp states it's common business practice. The company I work for has 4 divisions which always report as individual business's but shareholders and tax authorities always treat it as one.

The only critics of Club Doncaster were those who had a tendency to criticise the current owners and felt that it was a stick to beat them with. I remember Lifelong being abhorrent that CD bought the Dons for example and refused to accept that they could contribute funds to the cause.

Abhorrent!
Not sure that’s the right word.
And I’m not one who has a tendency to criticise the current owners.
It’s just when I ask legitimate questions (and never get satisfactory answers) I’m accused of being against the current regime, which I am not.
I’m gradually starting to understand the Club Doncaster concept thanks to these articles with Hoden and hope there are more to come.
Just to correct one point though.
You say I refused to accept the Dons could contribute funds to the cause.
As far as I can see, according to Gavin in the article, they don’t.
He says they simply cover their own costs...not contribute anything extra.

I was waiting for you Lifelong, seeing as you do hang around anything I post, or the VSC,  like a bad smell.

I could, if I so wish, to go back over your posts of recent times and quote numerous examples, but I'll spare you that embarrassment.

Even in recent weeks you've criticised Club Doncaster; you even criticised Grant McCann (somebody who you didn't want), for mentioning that he'd looked at it prior to his interview. You described it as 'the mysterious Club Doncaster'.

As for the Dons, I remember your criticism of the purchase of them way back, and my attempts to clarify the situation failed as you obviously weren't bright enough to grasp that increasing revenues give you the chance to cut costs. And it seems you still don't. Keep up Dave.

Here we go again.
The problem you have SM is that instead of fighting fires you create them.
I’m trying to be conciliatory and not looking for an argument but here you are ‘waiting for me’, being derogatory and talking about bad smells.
I did describe Club Doncaster as mysterious simply because the concept had never been properly explained, something which GB and Hoden are trying to do with these articles which I welcome.
Whenever I have asked questions about it in the past you have hurled insults instead of explanations and when I asked a simple question of how much it had made for the football club I received no reply.
I may not be the brightest, as you say, but when I have to try and decipher gobbledegook comments like ‘increasing revenues give you the chance to cut costs’ is there any wonder?
When it comes to Grant McCann it’s completely incorrect to say I have been critical of him.
He wasn’t my first choice or that of the overwhelming majority of supporters.
Of course, you would have marked him down as the main man from day one.
Because you are never wrong, are you?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
If they meant budget they should say not break even figure
I can see your point but budgets like a lot of things in a business change and change again as the financial year develops, storm damage, injuries etc and the business manager has to make adjustments and try to get to the end of the year in profit or at least balanced.

silent majority

• VSC Member
Oh Lifelong, what are we going to do with you?

Yet again you make out it's everybody else picking on you whilst you continue to offer your sarcastic opinion on me, the VSC, the board, etc etc and coupled with such a bad memory as well! I actually don't have any problems, and I spend my whole life fighting fires on behalf of others. As Dep Chair of an organisation with a membership in excess of 700,000 I can tell you there's plenty of fires to fight, what causes do you ever fight on behalf of football supporters? Let me guess. Err, none?

My comment about increasing revenues is obviously lost on you. It's a pity, but if you wish a kindergarten kind of explanation for everything you ask questions about then I'm not your man. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2012