Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:35:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Trouble after the game today . .  (Read 70489 times)

Jonathan

Re:Trouble after the game today . .
« Reply #180 on August 24, 2009, 08:40:06 pm by Jonathan »
Certainly a lot of judgements being passed on this thread on both sides of the argument. I think it's necessary to highlight a distinction between the so-called trouble causers and the 'DDR.' Even though it's not something I've ever been involved in or ever wanted to be involved in, I've always had a lot of respect for the 'old school' members of the DDR. Regardless of other activities, a lot of them make up some of our most loyal and committed fans over the years, and when attendances dwindled to the border of three figures, they were still amongst the ones that kept on going. They have their 'other activities' but almost all of the time they are away from the stadium and do not involve or affect the 'mainstream' of supporters in any way at all. The club does not have a bad reputation because of these people, infact the club doesn't have a bad reputation at all.

If the trouble on Saturday started because of a bit of posturing in the crowd then it was a gross over reaction to a bit of banter (that may be stretching the definition to a degree but it generally seemed to be good natured on both sides and added to the atmosphere). Those at the top right corner of the stand where it originated from were just kids, more recently maligned for singing about beans coming out of tins - a far greater offence than winding up a few opposition fans, which is just part of the game. I honestly believe that any situation that ensued was totally and utterly inflamed by the manner in which the stewards chucked one of the kids out. As the article implies, it was unreasonable force for the situation and an abuse of power. This seemed to upset some of the older fans and that's understandable, nobody wants to see a kid getting violently treated by a supposedly responsible adult in a position of some authority.

I didn't witness what happened outside the ground but it sounds an unfortunate chain of events. I gather Middlesbrough have a reputation for behaving badly around the stadium, maybe similar to that section of Swansea fans that tend to hang around The Liberty like a baying mob at the end of the game. Doncaster Rovers, on the other hand, do not have a repuation for trouble in and around the grounds so ask yourself who is most likely to have instigated this sequence of events? It is sad that innocent bystanders, especially families and children, were caught up in it all but I think you have to lay a significant proportion of blame at the doors of a significant minority of Middlesbrough fans, the irresponsible stewards and the lack of police presence thereafter.

Rovers have attracted a large number of kids to form the next generation of fans and long may that continue (let's hope we strengthen the squad as we need to stay in the Championship to maintain their interest - sorry couldn't resist getting that point in). The club is obviously trying to build on a family atmosphere, and one isolated incident for which the opposition should shoulder most of the blame should not change that. If anything I think Rovers are trying to build far too much of a 'nice' atmosphere. Instead of modelling the Keepmoat experience on a trip to the theatre, we should be trying to encourage a hostile atmosphere like that at the Britannia. Violence is not a part of it and nor should it be, but discouraging any engagement and hostility towards the opposition throughout the 90 minutes will result in a very bland and flat atmosphere. That's not what I was hooked on football for initially.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

arsenal of the north as if

• Forum Member
« Reply #181 on August 24, 2009, 08:50:00 pm by arsenal of the north as if »
get over it i say its done in the past move on trouble fill always be at football.It happens at rugby darts cricket ice hockey should i go on hard to find a sport there has never been trouble at.

thornabyred

• Forum Member
« Reply #182 on August 24, 2009, 08:50:40 pm by thornabyred »
Jonathon, very rarely see any bother at the Riverside in the 12 years or so its been open.

Only time there has been any have been Leeds, City and Utd and West Ham. And they were all started by the away fans charging through the police.

If Boro did like a lot of grounds and hold the away fans back for 10 mins there would have been no bother but our safety people prefer to let everyone out together.

CCTV will identify some of the culprits so there may be a few early morning knocks at both Boro and Donny in the near future.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #183 on August 24, 2009, 08:53:28 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
excellent post Jonathan....lets make the keepmoat as hostile as possible and not the libray its become!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #184 on August 24, 2009, 08:54:27 pm by hoolahoop »
arsenal of the north as if wrote:
get over it i say its done in the past move on trouble fill always be at football.It happens at rugby darts cricket ice hockey should i go on hard to find a sport there has never been trouble at.

Mods. can we now close this thread, it's getting embarrassing. My God how much more can be said on the matter, the Boro' fans stopped talking about this some time ago!! :blink:  :blink:

DRFCGlover

« Reply #185 on August 24, 2009, 09:03:56 pm by DRFCGlover »
I agree with hoola hoop, everybody has there own opinions on the matter, and thats what this forum is about(supposed to be anyway) so lets finish this matter,

duggiesmyhero

• Forum Member
« Reply #186 on August 24, 2009, 09:23:57 pm by duggiesmyhero »
excellent post jonathan, prob the best post out of 7 pages on this subject. If you think sat was bad stay out of town when Boro play down here, same goes for Newcastle home and away,and a few others i can mention.

The Duke

• Forum Member
« Reply #187 on August 24, 2009, 09:39:13 pm by The Duke »
Loving the replies get rid of the so thugs. When you lot were running for cover at lets say Chester and the DDR werent expecting any trouble yet it came and stuck up for half you pillocks hiding in the ditches and crying. Happned a good few times yet you all looke dfor a bit of security with the people your saying ban.

Ayup Johnathon, use to live on your street. Guess who ?

Master Katesby

« Reply #188 on August 24, 2009, 09:56:58 pm by Master Katesby »
The Duke, so true! Chester and Mansfield, in Division three, could have easily turned messy if it wasn't for the DDR blokes sticking up for their own.

The Duke

• Forum Member
« Reply #189 on August 24, 2009, 10:05:37 pm by The Duke »
Master Katesby wrote:
The Duke, so true! Chester and Mansfield, in Division three, could have easily turned messy if it wasn't for the DDR blokes sticking up for their own.

Aint it just pal.

People are very quick to spout rubbish on here of ban them etc, banned myself so heres one for you moaners  :woohoo: but when they needed help it was there and a lot of grateful people rang our praises.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #190 on August 24, 2009, 10:08:36 pm by Boomstick »
Jonathan wrote:
Certainly a lot of judgements being passed on this thread on both sides of the argument. I think it's necessary to highlight a distinction between the so-called trouble causers and the 'DDR.' Even though it's not something I've ever been involved in or ever wanted to be involved in, I've always had a lot of respect for the 'old school' members of the DDR. Regardless of other activities, a lot of them make up some of our most loyal and committed fans over the years, and when attendances dwindled to the border of three figures, they were still amongst the ones that kept on going. They have their 'other activities' but almost all of the time they are away from the stadium and do not involve or affect the 'mainstream' of supporters in any way at all. The club does not have a bad reputation because of these people, infact the club doesn't have a bad reputation at all.

If the trouble on Saturday started because of a bit of posturing in the crowd then it was a gross over reaction to a bit of banter (that may be stretching the definition to a degree but it generally seemed to be good natured on both sides and added to the atmosphere). Those at the top right corner of the stand where it originated from were just kids, more recently maligned for singing about beans coming out of tins - a far greater offence than winding up a few opposition fans, which is just part of the game. I honestly believe that any situation that ensued was totally and utterly inflamed by the manner in which the stewards chucked one of the kids out. As the article implies, it was unreasonable force for the situation and an abuse of power. This seemed to upset some of the older fans and that's understandable, nobody wants to see a kid getting violently treated by a supposedly responsible adult in a position of some authority.

I didn't witness what happened outside the ground but it sounds an unfortunate chain of events. I gather Middlesbrough have a reputation for behaving badly around the stadium, maybe similar to that section of Swansea fans that tend to hang around The Liberty like a baying mob at the end of the game. Doncaster Rovers, on the other hand, do not have a repuation for trouble in and around the grounds so ask yourself who is most likely to have instigated this sequence of events? It is sad that innocent bystanders, especially families and children, were caught up in it all but I think you have to lay a significant proportion of blame at the doors of a significant minority of Middlesbrough fans, the irresponsible stewards and the lack of police presence thereafter.

Rovers have attracted a large number of kids to form the next generation of fans and long may that continue (let's hope we strengthen the squad as we need to stay in the Championship to maintain their interest - sorry couldn't resist getting that point in). The club is obviously trying to build on a family atmosphere, and one isolated incident for which the opposition should shoulder most of the blame should not change that. If anything I think Rovers are trying to build far too much of a 'nice' atmosphere. Instead of modelling the Keepmoat experience on a trip to the theatre, we should be trying to encourage a hostile atmosphere like that at the Britannia. Violence is not a part of it and nor should it be, but discouraging any engagement and hostility towards the opposition throughout the 90 minutes will result in a very bland and flat atmosphere. That's not what I was hooked on football for initially.

That is the single best thing said in this whole thread. Well done sir

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #191 on August 24, 2009, 10:13:02 pm by hoolahoop »
Boomstick wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

That is the single best thing said in this whole thread. Well done sir

Good post Jon, you're getting a thumbs up from me . Make it sterile.......make it boring........make it empty!! That's how I see it.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #192 on August 24, 2009, 10:34:30 pm by StocktonRover »
Being a resident on Teesside, I have had to endure the glee of the many boro fans that I work with over the result, they did comment on our nice triangular passing moves but without any end product - I had to agree.

Not suprisingly as much time was spent talking about the \"trouble\" as the match. The interesting theme though was not one of blaming the Doncaster fans but the stewards.
Whilst the stewards can't be blamed for throwing coins, bottles or punches after the game, they were singled out for changing the mood of the crowd during the game by their actions.
Amongst those that I talked to was an ex senior steward from the away section who quit because of the way they were managed. As a senior steward he was in the stands and was directed by staff in the control room. He spoke of incidents whereby he would be given an order to eject an identified fan by someone in a remote room even though he stood next to the incident and would know that it was not either warranted or the right thing to do.
The feeling amongst those I spoke with today agreed that Saturday appeared to be one of those incidents. They thought that the banter was nothing out of the ordinary and was harmless until such time as one steward appeared to over-react, overstep his authority and commit assault on a fan. They even went as far as stating that the steward should be identified on the CCTV, sacked from his position of authority and be charged - saying it may send out a message to the few other renagade overzealous stewards that give the majority a bad name.
They also added that the \"Red faction\" of Boro fans in the corner adjacent to the away fans always act the same but are never the subject of intervention by the stewards, instead the stewards choose to interject with away fans and generally the younger ones who don't look like a threat to their good looks.

Perhaps without this incident in the ground, the unfortunate scenes outside after the game may not have come to fruition?

Jonathan

« Reply #193 on August 24, 2009, 10:41:54 pm by Jonathan »
The Duke wrote:

Did you live on Grove Vale?

I'm not from that street by the way, I lived round the corner, but I'm guessing I know who it is!

The Duke

• Forum Member
« Reply #194 on August 24, 2009, 10:44:18 pm by The Duke »
Jonathan wrote:
The Duke wrote:

I'm not from that street by the way, I lived round the corner, but I'm guessing I know who it is!

Yes pal i did.

Jonathan

« Reply #195 on August 24, 2009, 10:46:42 pm by Jonathan »
Thought it was you when you mentioned your nickname on another topic the other day!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #196 on August 24, 2009, 10:47:50 pm by hoolahoop »
Jonathan wrote:
The Duke wrote:

.................the Duke ?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #197 on August 24, 2009, 10:50:01 pm by bpoolrover »
but do you like him jonathan?

The Duke

• Forum Member
« Reply #198 on August 24, 2009, 10:51:17 pm by The Duke »
hoolahoop wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
The Duke wrote:

.................the Duke ?

of

Long time no see Jon you keeping well ?

Jonathan

« Reply #199 on August 24, 2009, 10:54:23 pm by Jonathan »
Not bad at all mate, you? Not seen you about in town for a while. Are you still living out on the outskirts of Donny?

The Duke

• Forum Member
« Reply #200 on August 24, 2009, 10:58:27 pm by The Duke »
Jonathan wrote:
Not bad at all mate, you? Not seen you about in town for a while. Are you still living out on the outskirts of Donny?

I am yes still out there, had a year out in Spain when i got banned. Not long now and im off it. Will be out in town friday for oslos stag do, may see you.

The Duke

• Forum Member
« Reply #201 on August 24, 2009, 10:59:44 pm by The Duke »
bpoolrover wrote:

Do you like me ?  :blush:

Jonathan

« Reply #202 on August 24, 2009, 11:02:21 pm by Jonathan »
The Duke wrote:
bpoolrover wrote:

Haha, I didn't notice that daft question, this is all getting a bit homo-erotic for my liking!  :laugh:

I may be out and about in town on Friday night after work so probably see you all taking over a pub if so!

The Duke

• Forum Member
« Reply #203 on August 24, 2009, 11:13:29 pm by The Duke »
Jonathan wrote:
The Duke wrote:
bpoolrover wrote:

Haha, I didn't notice that daft question, this is all getting a bit homo-erotic for my liking!  :laugh:

I may be out and about in town on Friday night after work so probably see you all taking over a pub if so!

May see you then pal will be a lot out.

Back on topic now for another 7 pages of drivvle by the east stand prawn sarnie crew.

The wovers i mean rovers.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012