Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:02:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A few thoughts  (Read 3095 times)

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
A few thoughts
« on February 07, 2010, 08:44:24 pm by Old Popsider »
I watched the game on Sky yesterday, being an exile, and don't really know if what I saw was the true Rovers or not. First half was pitiful from the Rovers, second half was a bit better. I liked the look of Martis, he wasn't too bad considering that he hasn't really had much time to train with the squad and assimilate into Sean's way of doing things.

I thought it pure folly to not have more support up front for Billy. We need a big target man up there and we just don't have anyone to put into that role at the moment.

Sulli was in fine form BUT how much longer can he go on without the knowledge there is someone that can be brought on in the case that he gets injured and can't play for a while?  Now is not the right time to give Ben some full game time, we haven't got a sufficient points cushion in case we lose some more should Ben be between the sticks. Perhaps give him some sub time in the second part of the second half maybe - if we're winning. Difficult position to fill when your first choice 'keeper is doing so well, mind you Sulli has dropped a few clangers this season but there again what 'keeper hasn't?

The calls for an expansion of the KMS must now cease as the current levels of attendance are nothing short of pathetic. Seeing vast expanses of empty seats was embarrasing quite frankly. If we were rock bottom of the league, then yes,it  would be understandable to a certain degree, but as a mid-rank team then more seats should be occupied. The conundrum of Doncaster Rovers and their support has been going on for many years and why it should be so has never been properly answered. Looking at teams local to Doncaster shows that support hasn't wavered very much i.e both Sheffield clubs and Barnsley being case in point. I've always said that the Rovers supporters are fickle and nothing will change that opinion. I've been a supporter for 50+ years now and I think I am safe in saying that the last 30 years has seen a steady downwards trend in support for the Rovers through the turnstiles. There may have been the odd upward trend in promotion years (not so many of them). The only way to get bums on seats in any venue is put on entertainment that matches the prices being charged. Unfortunately that does not happen in the case of DRFC.

Booing players - this an unsavoury practice that does not instill any kind of confidence in the player themselves, and can only contribute towards that players lack of self-confidence and subsequent effect on their playing capabilities. To pick out one player regularly is unfair on that player and cannot be encouraging for the manager when he chooses to put that player on the pitch. Whenever I have seen Lewis Guy play he has put all his efforts into trying to play for the team. Granted, not all those efforts have paid off but at least he's a trier.

All in all the squad that Sean has put together is a good one, and, given time it will be a successful one. A finishing spot just off the play-offs for the next couple of seasons will do us nicely I reckon. It would help out financially as it may just bring in those missing spectators, and, this would give Sean a chance to get certain players off the books and bring in some really big and talented players. I think that the squad needs boosting with 3 really big (stature wise) players who are not easily forced off the ball, as happens too often with the current crop of players. Then perhaps Sean can start pushing for the play-offs and possible promotion. To go for promotion in the next couple of season would be suicidal, we couldn't afford the players' wages and the ground would need money spent on it to bring it fully up to Premier league specifications.

Oh well, ramble over. Time for a beer I reckon.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012