Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:07:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Plan B  (Read 4590 times)

rtid88

• Forum Member
Plan B
« on February 08, 2010, 12:22:59 pm by rtid88 »
When will we ever come up with a Plan B? Reading came with the game plan of stopping us passing the ball around in there half which completely worked and left our players without a clue as what to do.

The 1st 15-20 mins of the game on saturday we had large amounts of time on the ball but did absolutely nothing with it because their players were just chasing us down all the time! When will we ever come up with plan B where if teams do this to us we try something different rather then carrying on!

I personally thought we were atrocious on Saturday and cannot understand SODs comments after the game saying he was happy with the performance!

We did not look capable of scoring until we went 2-0 down and even then there were players on the pitch that looked like they could not be arsed! To be fair to him the player that looked the most lively in the whole 96 minutes was Lewis Guy. By no means am I a Guy fan but when he came on he actually looked like he wanted to win unlike the majority of the other players wearing red and white on Saturday!

We wait all season for a chance to be on sky to show the nation how we can play and then perform like that! And we wonder why SKY does not want to show our games.

We have got some extremely hard home games for the rest of this season and Reading was one of the last ones this season that I thought we could definitely win. We need to get our season kick started again because at the minute we are playing like a team destined for relegation!

Come on lads get it sorted!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BLIR

• Forum Member
Re:Plan B
« Reply #1 on February 08, 2010, 12:36:09 pm by BLIR »
We are a relatively small side, particularly in the forward line up. We try to walk the ball into the net (or revert to shots from outside the area) because we have no ariel presence. Sharp, Hayter, Guy, Heffs etc are all under 6ft and will never compete with 6ft 4 defenders which most teams have. We can't revert to the traditional \"get it down the wings and bang a cross in\" because we haven't got the physical attributes to do so.

Even when the defence go up for corners there isn't a lot of height either. Martis has a bit of height but Jimmy, Robbo and Hird don't. There's bugger all height in midfield either, Woods is fairly tall but Copps? Oster? Shiels? I think not!

Brooker will be a good option for a plan B if and when he returns to the side.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 08, 2010, 03:40:41 pm by Wellred »
I think if we are pinning our hopes on Brooker we really are clutching at straws.
The biggest frustration is that during the close season SOD admitted we needed more height and muscle in the side but we have made no effort to remedy that problem.

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 08, 2010, 04:11:56 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
No effort at all...except for running the rule over countless triallists including Simunovic and Kienast

Presumably Sean isn't just thinking \"He's a big lad...he'll do\".  He's looking for the right players with those attributes.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 08, 2010, 04:49:08 pm by Wellred »
Ambition? Kienast? Simunovic?

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 08, 2010, 08:04:45 pm by rtid88 »
I can't believe there is not one tall striker out there that we can possibly afford. We could make an offer for someone like Rory Fallon, im sure his wages and price can't be massive and I think he would do a great job for us. There must be plenty of tall strikers out there that could do a job to give us that alternative approach to play.

Like WellRed said, SOD said himself that we need taller players in pre-seadon but then he goes and brings the likes of Wilson from Scotland in and Dumbaya, the complete opposite. I know we don't have much money but there must surely be players out there. We need to be scouting far and wide for these players!

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 08, 2010, 09:59:16 pm by CusworthRovers »
To be fair to Sean, he never stipulated which position he needed tall athletic players.......we did get Webbo. He may have meant the CH position (who knows). Whilst I would love a Jay E Thomas type midfielder, he may not. He might think a ball player is far more important (regardless of size) and I'm sure in that interview he did say that the football would not be compromised.

In Webbo, Shelts and Shack, if he stays, we have the height at the back to match anyone in this league (RB and LB we look to have an average height, in this league only). Midfield seems pretty average height IMO. The only position without height IMO is the CF position, as that plan B option, that said we have Brooker on the books and I would not swap Billy for any 6'6\" striker, as Billy can do 90% of what is expected of a 6'6\" striker and then another 100% of his own capabilities.

If we can keep Mutch and work him into a SOD player, then we will get our big powerful mother in the midfield middle area.

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 08, 2010, 10:05:57 pm by rtid88 »
I would be very happy if we could keep Mutch as from the very little I have seen he looks like he has the makings of been a very good player but from what I have read he is very much in Birminghams long term plans!

It really does look like we will never see Brooker in a Rovers shirt, especially not this season anyway, and we need that Plan B option now and not next season when it might already be to late for Championship football.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 08, 2010, 10:27:33 pm by CusworthRovers »
Early doors, but I thought Mutch looked understandably lost v Boro. He will pick up his responsibilities at Cantley and with matchday experience if we extend his loan. He seems to look the part physically, albeit a tad of Waddle-itis in his shoulders. Not sure what our aim is with this kid nor Brums to be honest.

I'm not sure we need the plan b that desperately or now, as we have done well enough with Billy, before this little blip. Although I agree, in the long term, we need a plan b big chuff, be that Brooker or another

VikingJames

« Reply #9 on February 08, 2010, 10:30:05 pm by VikingJames »
Wellred wrote:
Ambition? Kienast? Simunovic?

He sounds alright, sign him up.  ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012