Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:27:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Michael Ballack on Arsenal.  (Read 4053 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Michael Ballack on Arsenal.
« on February 08, 2010, 11:41:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
\"Football is not possession of the ball and playing a nice pass - football is about winning games.\"

Discuss.

EDIT:

Apologies Cussy - just seen your earlier post. Not that I ever tek a blind bit of notice of what you post anyway like.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Re:Michael Ballack on Arsenal.
« Reply #1 on February 09, 2010, 01:42:00 pm by wing commander »
I think your missing the point Rigo,i think what Billy means is,is the above us in a nutshell.After all SOD says he isnt bothered about the results only performance..
  And lets be honest we could be accused of pissing about with it a bit.lol

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 09, 2010, 01:56:25 pm by wing commander »
I  was speaking to a scout from Brum last year at k/m and he said the same thing when we talked about Rovers,he said that the type of football we played was lovely to watch but actually not that difficult to play against if you set yourself up properly.
  He said that speed of movement and passing were much more difficult to play against than slow methodical passes and triangles like what we do.He then made his point by the next 3 times we broke away,despite lovely passing and lay offs,by the time we got the ball down the other end the opposition were all in place to a man..
  I thought at the time he was doing us a disservice but it is certainley a critism that can be levelled at us when things start going wrong....
  I mentioned sods performance rather than results statement because i find it a bit of a ridiculous stance tbh.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 09, 2010, 02:01:52 pm by CusworthRovers »
So why did they not combat it at St Andrews. They never touched the ball for 90 mins, if it's that easy to play against, unless that was their ploy ie to only touch the ball once during the game and score.
Then again, I suppose the answer was in the result 1-0 Brum. 1 chance = 1 goal.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 09, 2010, 02:28:04 pm by TheFunk »
It was probably due to the fact that they only had ten men for most of the game.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 09, 2010, 02:38:16 pm by CusworthRovers »
I'll assume you were there and know it was just the same when they had 11 on the pitch for the first 20-25 mins whatever it was.

Total-Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 09, 2010, 02:52:54 pm by Total-Rover »
@wing commander

I think SO'D makes it clear in his interviews that he is, in fact, not bothered on how \"pretty\" our football is for fans and pundits to watch. Does he really seem like the type to try and please us like that? I think not.

No, O'Driscoll's message has never been that the long term results are less important than how good the football is to watch; rather that he prefers an individual good performance to an individual good result. Over a long period of time, though, he'd look at the results, just like the rest of us.

His logic is that, if a team does the right things and performs well - whether it be 5 yard passes or 50 yard - the results will come over a longer period of time. It's all about patience, typically. Think back to the barren spells we've had, and the inevitable success that has followed. He's a long-term thinker.

Indeed, when quizzed about how \"nice\" our side's football is, he invariably says that he doesn't care, basically. Due to the stature of the squad we play with, our style is the only way to get sustainable results.

Those be the messages I get from his interviews, anyway...

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 09, 2010, 03:07:15 pm by danumdon »
TR your point about the stature and physic of the squad is  a valid one, i don't think he could set this squad up any different and be able to get the required results.

It follows that these small ball playing types are the only ones available to us at this time to enable us to progress, if they were of this type but consistent they would all be playing in the premiership.

The other extreme is the big physical, bustling, strong types of players, if you get a good example of this type then they are worth their weight in gold, no one will release this type, and we don't have the pay structure to entice them.

Thus we are stuck with what we have and SOD has to come up with a formula to enable them to succeed in this league, he has worked  the oracle so far, lets hope it lasts and we don't get found out to many more times this season or we could be in for an uneasy last quarter.

Performance in itself cant save us, we need the points that go with it. Lets hope a plan B arrives from somewhere to give us an option when its needed.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 10, 2010, 10:41:41 am by TheFunk »
CusworthRovers wrote:
I'll assume you were there and know it was just the same when they had 11 on the pitch for the first 20-25 mins whatever it was.

I will also assume you were there for the home match where they managed to combat it for 90 minutes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012