Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:32:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A need for width?  (Read 4280 times)

jonrover

• Forum Member
A need for width?
« on February 09, 2010, 09:23:21 am by jonrover »
I happened to bring along a good friend of mine on Saturday who I am trying to make see the light, since he's disillusioned about the tripe served up at Anfield. Half way through the game he commented on the lack of width, something echoed at work too. I think we have become to predictable in recent weeks and we need to freshen things up. I'd stick Oster and Shiels out wider and get a partner for Billy. I'd give Hayter a chance at that role. He's been effective off the bench this season and deserves a chance. Either way, we need good early balls in for Billy to attack. We don't do it as often as we should and it's beginning to be our down fall.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lord Farquaad

• Forum Member
Re:A need for width?
« Reply #1 on February 09, 2010, 10:09:56 am by Lord Farquaad »
As well as Jimmy has done at centre half, we need him beck on the right linking with Copps. Their interaction is exquisite when they are at the top of their game.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 09, 2010, 10:18:11 am by CusworthRovers »
Jonrover, effectively you are asking for a good old fashioned 4-4-2 with width and another bod in the middle with Sharp. Nobody knows if you are right or wrong in this. I think we have the players to play this to a standard.

I think Sharp/Hayts could do a job.
I think Deano, Oster, Copps can play to a decent standard by being wider.

If we switched to this now, we would go into freefall, as it's completely alien to our players and club in recent years.

I'd stick with what we know and have, as it's proved well worth it. I take your point on outsiders looking in and how it looks to them. I get the same comments every time (and once again after Saturday):

No width
No big striker
No battlers
Very pretty, but no end product

We play a system, that takes time for us to understand it and see it's workings. The untrained eye will not see this, and just state the obvious about us.

Finally, I think I'm going to lump on Denman (before Saturday) for the Gold Cup. I can see this beast starting favourite

jonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 09, 2010, 12:44:56 pm by jonrover »
CusworthRovers wrote:
Jonrover, effectively you are asking for a good old fashioned 4-4-2 with width and another bod in the middle with Sharp. Nobody knows if you are right or wrong in this. I think we have the players to play this to a standard.

I think Sharp/Hayts could do a job.
I think Deano, Oster, Copps can play to a decent standard by being wider.

If we switched to this now, we would go into freefall, as it's completely alien to our players and club in recent years.

I'd stick with what we know and have, as it's proved well worth it. I take your point on outsiders looking in and how it looks to them. I get the same comments every time (and once again after Saturday):

No width
No big striker
No battlers
Very pretty, but no end product

We play a system, that takes time for us to understand it and see it's workings. The untrained eye will not see this, and just state the obvious about us.

Finally, I think I'm going to lump on Denman (before Saturday) for the Gold Cup. I can see this beast starting favourite

I wasn't thinking of a 4-4-2 really. I just think Hayter could play the Copps role but a little more advanced. I know essentially that is probably 4-4-2 but I think it would not be our downfall to at least try it, even if just to freshen it up and give Billy half a chance to do what he's come here to do which is to score goals. I don't think we are supplying him with the balls which will enable him to do this. Having someone closer to him will create a foil too, to give him an extra yard to work with which will also help.
 Billy really needs some support and he isn't getting it. Someone needs to push on and Hayter could be the man to do it in my opinion. It will work better with Woods out on the left and Shiels in the middle but injuries are preventing this at the minute. Hayter is a little more direct and better in the air than Copps and if we can get wider and ping crosses in it could bear fruit IMO.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 09, 2010, 01:26:19 pm by CusworthRovers »
Again, not wrong. I think Hayter has played that role quite a few times while he's been here.

As for the support to Billy, again not wrong and often can be isolated and a lonesome battling figure up front. But again, be it Heffs, Hayter, JJ, Cammo, Lewis... they have all had to lead the line alone and we play a certain way with strikers under Sean.

I don't think we will see 2 up front (under Sean) in the Kitch/O'Callaghan mould....we might see, how you suggest, a Hayts, Copps, Deano more advanced but not playing with or off Billy.

When we get Brooker fit and if we have Billy, then it will be interesting on how Sean would play these 2. It would seem obvious to all on here, but I wouldn't guarantee those 2 playing directly off each other.

irishcontingent

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 09, 2010, 01:28:04 pm by irishcontingent »
Tell me a team who have been a success without \"Wing\" play. Only one, England 1966.

Its fairly plain OD doesnt like wing play a lot, overlapping full backs ar ok, but not \"wingers\" as such. He wont change .

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 09, 2010, 01:46:09 pm by CusworthRovers »
I suppose it's what you deem wingers. I mean Lionel and Christiano don't really hug the flanks and are always coming inside (oooh err). Giggsy Wiggsy might be deemed one of the last great wing players and yet even he offers so much more in field. Compare these to the Steve Coppells, Peter Barnes types who never left the white line.

Barca (who many would suggest look the best in the world).

There team consisted of 3 excellent players in the middle. The holding player was Ya Ya Ya Ya Ya and the 2 sublime orchestrators were Iniesta and Xavi. Now they basically had Lionel on the right, but as said he never played as a winger. They then predominantly had Samuel and Thierry up front, with Thierry often drifting left forward. No real wingers in this team.

Like I said, it's what we will deem as wingers, as personally there are few left in this country or even around the world.....Robben might be a rare one.

irishcontingent

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 09, 2010, 03:22:13 pm by irishcontingent »
Exactly why i used Wing \" Play\" as opposed to \"Wingers\" Cussy. Man utd used wing \"Play\", as did Chelsea, Arsenal  in the form of Beckham and Giggs and Ronaldo and Nani etc. Chelsea at their best used Joe Cole, today seems like Ashly cole and \"le Brat\". Arsenal had Henry, even liverpool have Gerrard out wide, or Riera or Kuyt.
Who do DRFC have to do the \"Wing\" work if the full backs dont get forward, Billy Sharp, who does he swing crosses in to, well , Billy Sharp if he gets a move on.

You know where i am coming from cussy. :)  :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012