Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:32:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sean Thornton  (Read 5188 times)

MR A-Z

• Forum Member
Sean Thornton
« on February 09, 2010, 04:49:08 pm by MR A-Z »
Who else believes if given the chance and if SO'D could, well control him more think that Sean Thornton could hack it in this championship team??

also is there any other players you think should of been given a better chance and you believe could be a good player in the championship???

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

kyle17balby

Re:Sean Thornton
« Reply #1 on February 09, 2010, 04:50:40 pm by kyle17balby »
jason price

timdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 09, 2010, 05:25:42 pm by timdrfc »
Sorry, but i think Sean  Thornton is overated.

muff licker

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 09, 2010, 06:02:24 pm by muff licker »
timdrfc wrote:
Sorry, but i think Sean  Thornton is overated.

Sean's not overrated, not at all. Remember he played, scored and did well in the Premier League, and on his day he is a class player and an asset to any team, he sees things other players dont and that was often the case with his spell at DRFC.
 He was usually 2 passes ahead of everyone else, and often it seemed as his passes were misplaced when in hindsight they weren't.
usually he was played out of position under SOD, (remember Oldham away when the scoreline was 4-0 and Sean was playing left wing) i think then he knew his time was up.

The real reason as to why he never realised his full potential is he had it all too soon, and he will openly admit it, 18/19 years of age earning good wages/bonuses and away from home = trouble.
He likes a drink and that was a stigma that followed him from Sunderland, so much so he though 'f**k it' and continued to do what he wanted. I dont think it was SOD to blame or not give Sean a chance, more like Sean never gave himself a chance.

Saying that, he has changed his lifestyle and at 25 years of age there's stil time for him to play at a higher standard, only time will tell.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 09, 2010, 07:52:05 pm by Lesonthewest »
Personally I also thought he was overrated, good player when he wanted to be but flattered to deceive most of the time. That's probably why he is where he is now.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 09, 2010, 08:26:31 pm by DRNaith »
MR A-Z wrote:
Who else believes if given the chance and if SO'D could, well control him more think that Sean Thornton could hack it in this championship team??

also is there any other players you think should of been given a better chance and you believe could be a good player in the championship???

I think Andy Warrington could have made it in this league.

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 09, 2010, 08:46:54 pm by Shawndrfc »
I think Adebayo Akinfenwa would do well in this league for us. Also i liked thornton and yes he was under rated.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 09, 2010, 08:51:23 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Not underrated, just someone with potential but essentially an underachieving piss head. Would have to prove himself more before being worth a punt.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 10, 2010, 08:27:14 am by DonnyNoel »
If he upped his energy level I think he wouldn't look out of place. He wouldn't stand out either.

I thought the problem was with ST that he came here with an overinflated reputation which was no fault of his own. As Muff Licker pointed out - statistically he had scored/played in the premiership. In reality he was a young substitute for one of the worst teams in premiership history who was signed by Sunderland as a hot prospect on the basis of a few good games for Tranmere. He'd done well for Sunderland in the championship but again, only in patches.

Maybe we expected too much given he was \"a premiership player\" (which in my eyes he technically wasn't).

As someone else mentions above - Akinfenwa is one I really think could have done more had he stayed. We might even have sneaked the playoffs that first season in L1.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 10, 2010, 09:14:42 am by Barmby Rover »
Thornton didn't have the right attitude for SOD/ROK I think, they often talk about players taking responsible, and that was a phrase that Thornton seems to have lacked in his career. Which is why he is where he is, and why he never got to step onto the pitch for Sean.

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on February 10, 2010, 11:41:46 am by nightporter »
it seemed as his passes were misplaced when in hindsight they weren't :laugh:  :laugh:

The passes were ok but the other players were in the wrong place.   :laugh:

rtid88

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 10, 2010, 12:25:10 pm by rtid88 »
I liked Thornton! He had a certain presence on the pitch and you knew he had the talen but he was seriously going through a bad time in his life when he was here and booze and birds were his main priority.

He does seem to have got his act together again now though and I think he really could do a good job for us here along with his brother if he can ever get his head sorted as well!!

London_Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 10, 2010, 03:30:10 pm by London_Rover »
Big Leo!

B)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012