Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:01:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jekyll and Hyde performance.  (Read 5853 times)

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
Jekyll and Hyde performance.
« on February 27, 2010, 05:29:02 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
From periods of sublime play in the first half, to spells of ridiculous, comedy defending, giving Palace all the time and space they desired in the second period.

Talk about a game of two halves.

Never mind the fact we totally dominated the first 45. Id be interested to know if eiter of the first two goals we 'scored' were perfectly legal and should have been given. Lets also make note of Palace defender v Billy Sharp second half, last defender, Billy through on Gaol and their defender gets away with a yellow?!?!

Be interesting to see Warnocks comments, particularly regarding the Ref, following this one. I thought he gave Palace far too many favourable decisions throughout the game.

Two points dropped today - Palace were there for the taking, we blew it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re:Jekyll and Hyde performance.
« Reply #1 on February 27, 2010, 05:37:52 pm by Donnywolf »
You are right - we blew it

...and dont forget the Billy Sharp being held in a bear hug for a stone dead penalty AND Mutch being felled in the area for what looked to me like a penalty

Warnock should be asked for his views on that lot. Suspend the ref my arse !

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 27, 2010, 05:38:29 pm by Barmby Rover »
What about the one on Much? Was that a penalty?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 27, 2010, 05:41:12 pm by Donnywolf »
I thought so - Sky bloke Bryn Law thought so but the knobhead in the middle did not

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 27, 2010, 05:42:55 pm by mushRTID »
I dont think either penalties were clear cut, but on another day either could have been given.

But the last man was nailed on. Week after week we are having to contend with w**k referee's. Its a hard enough game anyway without these jokes turning up and getting thinkgs wrong.

Thought Sam Hird was brilliant, definatly worth looking at again in that position.

Frustrated but we played better than Tuesday and should have won.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 27, 2010, 05:46:57 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
How did ET do?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 27, 2010, 05:57:13 pm by MrFrost »
Did ok in a brief appearance. Had an ok effort at goal. The foul on Mutch was a 100% penalty for me, and for the 2nd game in a row we had the ref bottle sending off the last man.

We were shocking in the 2nd half however and a point was probably a fair result.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 27, 2010, 06:05:22 pm by DonnyNoel »
Looked a certain penalty to me too but should have been out of sight at half time. The sub they brought on was almost in tears (seriously) at half time from the rings Copps ran round him. But the ref wasn't the only one making poor decisions and in the final third we seemed to look for an easy side ball too often.

Hird looked accomplished in the middle third and with a bit of schooling could grow into that role, still think we need someone in there to really put the foot in though. Both him and Wilson stood aff a lot of players cutting inside. How often an opposition full back can carry the ball unchallenged 30-40 yards is so frustrating and puts pressure on us without the oppostion doing anything.

Still don't think we'll go down but definitely 2 points dropped today.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 27, 2010, 06:07:26 pm by MrFrost »
I thought Chambers was poor today. Ball watching all the time and beaten far too easily.

Sharp was very frustrated at the end, and was unlucky not to have a goal today. He needs more support going forward.

Hird played well. Wilson and Oster poor again. Although the reception Wilson got when brought off was out of order.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 27, 2010, 06:12:15 pm by Superspy »
see i thought chambers was good again today, especially going forward. i agree i think wilson and oster were poor today, they were both doing the right things, but their passing was woeful at times, which in a team that relies on passing as much as ours does...cant be a good thing, haha.

i was really pleased with copps, even before he scored today he looked dangerous and he had one of his better games i think.

like u said with sharp, he looked very frustrated, which doesnt surprise me considering the number of times he gets bear hugged EVERY game and hardly ever gets a foul given for it.

Adam

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 27, 2010, 06:16:48 pm by Adam »
MrFrost wrote:
I thought Chambers was poor today. Ball watching all the time and beaten far too easily.

Sharp was very frustrated at the end, and was unlucky not to have a goal today. He needs more support going forward.

Hird played well. Wilson and Oster poor again. Although the reception Wilson got when brought off was out of order.

Chambers, for me, played excellently. Made a cracking tackle in the second half and did a wing backs job in getting forward.

Sharp didn't look interest half the time but that's what you get when you play 1 up front.

I didn't even realise Wilson was playing until his name got read out when he went off. I thought Oster did well.

My thoughts though.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 27, 2010, 06:18:37 pm by MrFrost »
Chambers only seems to work when going forward. Defensively he is not up to it in my opinion.

I thought Sharp gave 110% today. He never stops trying, despite having to feed off scraps most of the time.

The Shining Light

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 27, 2010, 06:24:03 pm by The Shining Light »
Two very very poor teams today, had either been playing slightly better oppostion they would have been swept away 4 or 5 nil. First 20 minutes were poor, the next 25 were better. The entirety of the second half was absolutely awful from both teams.

We sat far too deep and invited Palace on to us, I was bitterly disappointed we didn't kick on after scoring. Far too many shots were straight at the keeper and the decision making in the final third of the pitch was terrible.

All this coupled with the referee and linemen/women - two consecutive games now where the man in the middle has bottled big big decisions. That last man challenge on Sharp was more a sending off than the one against Leicester and the two penalty shouts were stonewall.

Don't know where we go from here, confidence for some reason seems to be rock bottom, theres a lack of ideas up front and there bench has no impact to dig us out of tricky situations. We badly miss Stock in the middle and I hope we don't start pumping it long to Sharp on a regular basis, he may as well be back at the Lane.

This is the point where I sit back down, take a breath, have a swig of ale and remember we're in the Championship and remember where we have come from; it's just so very frustrating knowing we are capable of far far better. Hopefully JET can make an impact and we can find that amazing passing game that is in our locker.

All is not lost. By the way, those that boo players deserve feck all, I was very frustrated today but I don't boo.

Onwards and upwards.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 27, 2010, 06:26:46 pm by bobjimwilly »
I thought Chambers did ok, never made any obvious mistakes, did he?
O'connor was a good choice as MOM. Wilson, again, not very good - decision making poor and too slow.
Oster didn't have a good game either. Coppinger played alot better today, and his goal was excellent - \"classic\" rovers. I thought the point was probably about right, although would have been alot different if they had got the red they deserved instead of the yellow; Sharp defo up against last man this week, no doubt about it! And from SE corner mutch looked to have had his legs take from under him - hope there are some highlights shown some where with that incident on?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on February 27, 2010, 06:31:04 pm by bobjimwilly »
The Shining Light wrote:
All is not lost. By the way, those that boo players deserve feck all, I was very frustrated today but I don't boo.

Onwards and upwards.

If you mean at the end, I think they might have been booing the officials? I certainly was  :angry:

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 27, 2010, 06:31:58 pm by MrFrost »
All highlights of any Rovers related action are already on the cutting room floor!

VikingJames

« Reply #16 on February 27, 2010, 06:41:06 pm by VikingJames »
I thought Hird was very good in front of the back four, and did a good job of protecting Ward and Jimmy.

donnybel

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 27, 2010, 07:19:21 pm by donnybel »
Yes James, I've thought for a while that Sam would do a good job in that position and he looked more comfortable there too. Looks like he could a Stock job with practice! Thought we were very lethargic today, hopefully the lack of a Tuesday game will rest the legs a bit.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 27, 2010, 07:48:31 pm by danrover82 »
MrFrost wrote:

VikingJames wrote:
I thought Hird was very good in front of the back four, and did a good job of protecting Ward and Jimmy.

donnybel wrote:
Yes James, I've thought for a while that Sam would do a good job in that position and he looked more comfortable there too. Looks like he could a Stock job with practice! Thought we were very lethargic today, hopefully the lack of a Tuesday game will rest the legs a bit.

Finally people talking sense. All afternoon I have been subjected to how crap Hird was, how crap Copps, Oster, Chambers, Roberts and Wilson to name a few were. I must have heard (no pun intended)100 or so times how crap Sam was by the people behind me and my dad. I am all for people voicing opinions if players dont perform, but he was excellent today to say he was out of position. I even heard from other people that were playing in league 1 next year, and to top it off SOD is joke, who hasn't a clue.

I cant for the life of me understand why people would go to the game, moan for 90 mins about everythng from players positions to the colour of the grass and subject themselves to such missery. If they were in charge they would have made around 6 subs from what I counted. I am just glad I didn't take my son today as every other word was f'in this and f'in that, causing a family to look else where for seating in second half. Not bad for a family stand!

If people are not going to support the team to the best of their ability, please cant you stay away. Cause the way people act it will drive the influential members of DRFC away and possibly fans too. One thing I did learn was I wont be sitting there again.

Up the Rovers :scarf:

Boycie

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 27, 2010, 08:45:45 pm by Boycie »
It was certainly a game of 2 halves. I think we should remember we have a number of key players missing and are constantly playing what I consider a make-shift team.
In defence 2 key men missing Shackell and Martis, midfield Stock and Woods.
Young players brought in on a months loan are not going to fit straight in and we are going to look dis-jointed.
With a small squad we are going to struggle and I will be glad when we get past the 50 point mark.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 27, 2010, 08:48:35 pm by bobjimwilly »
Boycie wrote:
I will be glad when we get past the 50 point mark.

I'll be glad when we get by 52 points  ;)

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 27, 2010, 09:50:22 pm by RTID75 »
Can only agree with a lot of what has been said here already. We were good in the forst half and looked as though we could come out second half and really put Palace to the sword. I was expecting at least one more goal from us, if not two or three.

What on earth happened at half time to turn us from dangerous and controlling to inept I don't know. Their goal? Well, you could see it coming a for about 5 monutes before it did. What on earth possessed Rovers to sit back and invite them on I don't know - could they not see how dangerous that was? Everyone sat in a seat could...

I thought Oster had a poor game - caught on possession and misplacing passes seemed to be the long ad short of his game today. I'd have taken him off sooner. Wilson wasn't great either.

On the subject of subs (and respect where it's due for Sean's vast other managerial know-how), but why does he insist on leaving substitutions to the very death?! It's a rarity anyone subbed on ever gets more than 7 or 8 minutes, but Deano came onto the pitch at 89:50 today!! Pointless, and very, very frustrating. Penney had the same habit and it didn't work for him either...

Anyway, better than a loss, but two points most definitely dropped today.

donnybel

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 27, 2010, 11:51:31 pm by donnybel »
I'm wondering if you sit near me!!! All season long I've been listening to about half a dozen d**kheads who moan all game.  Everyone is s**t, Even donnydog!! They always turn up 20 mins into game, disappear 15mins before half time, come back 15 mins after and go home 10mins early!!!  Most of them didn't turn up on Tues night cos of the cold, (this was what they were saying to each other). The ones that did went home cos Lewis came on!!! Tossers, why do they bother, changing our seats next season!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 28, 2010, 12:44:12 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
We ripped Palace apart in the first hald and for our quality of shooting we should have been 3-0 up at helf time.

Warnock made a tactical change but we didn't respond quick enough and conceeded a goal that had been coming.

Sam was having a good game and Wilson was doing ok, but when they change their formation, Sam went deeper leaving Wilson isolated in midfield and they were running through at will.

We needed fresh legs in that big hole in midfield and Sean being the stubborn man that he is, refused to swap mutch for Wilson. Not saying that Wilson was having a bad game but tactically I thought that's where we needed the legs.

For some reason the quality of passing and movement deteriorated in the second half and we went long instead of keeping it short. Having said all that when you need a referee to punish synical defending we get jack shit.

Like the look of JET. Let's play him up front behind Sharp.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 28, 2010, 01:23:20 am by Filo »
donnybel wrote:

May I refer you to the post made by me 3 days ago

http://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=57&func=view&catid=999999&id=70389#70633

;)  :P  :laugh:

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 28, 2010, 01:33:20 am by CusworthRovers »
In fairness to Wilson he was left in the middle ground alone. Usually he has somebody close by to play the short ball too. I thought he played too many long balls today and unfortunately he cannot repeat that (finding his man) over and over again.....like we expect from Stock and Woods. Was that his fault.....I'm not so sure, as like said he had no 5-10 yard pass to give to a creative midfielder so more often than not had no choice but to try the harder ball.

Hird was in the middle ground but far too deep to assist Wilson.

Oster was more to the left and not close enough for Wilsons liking.

Copps (who had an outstanding game) was all over the place but not shadowing Wilson. (Speaking of Copps, he could do with some left foot practice. How many times did he cut in from the right side on a mazy run with a good shooting chance at his mercy only to bottle a left foot shot and opt for the easier pass or bring it back onto his right and thus lose the opportunity.)  

In short I feel Wilson plays better when he is shadowing somebody in the middle, but today Hird, Copps, Oster and Hayts weren't close enough to him for his liking. Again, is that his fault?

donnybel

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 28, 2010, 10:43:55 am by donnybel »
Filo.. Yes I saw that and thought aahh a man after my own heart!  Was just about to respond and agree with you when the bleeding connection to me comp went!  Couldn't be bothered to look for the thread after the frustrations of the match. Young Sam is the future Brian Stock IMHO!!!! :P  :)

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on February 28, 2010, 11:46:46 am by RTID75 »
donnybel wrote:
I'm wondering if you sit near me!!! All season long I've been listening to about half a dozen d**kheads who moan all game.  Everyone is s**t, Even donnydog!! They always turn up 20 mins into game, disappear 15mins before half time, come back 15 mins after and go home 10mins early!!!  Most of them didn't turn up on Tues night cos of the cold, (this was what they were saying to each other). The ones that did went home cos Lewis came on!!! Tossers, why do they bother, changing our seats next season!!

I'm sure I speak for many who have posted here when I say that your insinuation that we are all match day moaners/'d**kheads' at Keepmoat is offenive. Firstly, we did play well in the first half, then the wheels came off and we dropped two points - there's nothing wrong or factually inaccurate about that - it was what happened. Secondly, I *never* moan at players, neither do I moan amongst others sat around me. Catch me doing that and I'd gladly hand you a crisp £50 note.

For the record, I applauded the players at the end, as I always do, at the steps by the tunnel.

donnybel

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 28, 2010, 01:40:41 pm by donnybel »
RTID75...My post was in response to an earlier posting where the poster was complaining about negative comments near him.  If you re read my post you will see that I do not insinuate that everyone is a matchday d**khead/moaner. I am merely commenting on half a dozen people who sit near me, who constantly moan and f and blind all the game even if we win. Interestly you are the only poster who has accused my comments as being offensive. The moaners near me are the offensive ones cos their moaning uses offensive language when there is a large number of young kids, including their own.  For the record in all the years I've been coming to the Rovers I've never had any problems before and have had some good fun with the people sat around me.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 28, 2010, 01:57:33 pm by RTID75 »
Fair enough, and thanks for clearing things up, it's just because you didn't quote any one particular post it read to me as though it was being directed at people who have posted in this thread in general.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012