Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:07:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: If we are ever going to challenge for promotion...  (Read 2771 times)

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
If we are ever going to challenge for promotion...
« on February 27, 2010, 07:40:37 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
We never get there with such an average player as Wilson, for god sake man he simply is no differentiator in any hard fought game, even when playing at 100% effectiveness!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Re:If we are ever going to challenge for promotion...
« Reply #1 on February 27, 2010, 07:43:30 pm by mushRTID »
Hope you have got your tin hat on  :laugh:

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 27, 2010, 07:47:17 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Sorry, I would seriously question anyone that can defend him after that performance !
Crying out for either ET or Mutch to take his place!

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 27, 2010, 07:48:00 pm by DonnyNoel »
Norfolk N Chance wrote:
We never get there with such an average player as Wilson, for god sake man he simply is no differentiator in any hard fought game, even when playing at 100% effectiveness!

Correct. So?

I'm sure we all long for a day when some of the current crop \"aren't good enough\" for our squad - but at the moment we aren't striving for promotion. I suppose we should in theory long for a day when we're calling Billy Sharp average as that would mean we're in the top half of the premiership. We found a top quality player in Wellens but then couldn't afford to keep him, that should indicate how hard is will be to build a squad for promotion.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 27, 2010, 07:50:02 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
As much as I thought he had a bad game again today. There were plenty of others who we equally, if not more so, off their game today.

Did Wilson not supply the pass that Coppinger ultimately scored from? I also remember Wilson hitting a reasonable shot early on that only went inches wide.

Oster, for one, was very very poor today.

danrover82

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 27, 2010, 07:53:46 pm by danrover82 »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:

Did Wilson not supply the pass that Coppinger ultimately scored from? I also remember Wilson hitting a reasonable shot early on that only went inches wide.

Well said that man!

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 27, 2010, 07:57:56 pm by DonnyNoel »
danrover82 wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:

Well said that man!

Also was it not Wilson who had the original shot in the build up to the offside goal too?

ferribyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 27, 2010, 08:01:35 pm by ferribyrover »
wow, promotion to the Premier League???
I'd love this to happen, but if it did are any of our players good enough?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 27, 2010, 08:56:38 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Wilson did ok AGAIN! Just OK.  I'd like to question how can people can criticise his role in midfield but not that of Sam Hird and Hird broke up play well little else though?  They did little different in fact Wilson was better.  Time and time again Wilson hit passes that the players didn't react to.  He played some good balls but the movement of the front players wasn't as good as it could have been.

Oster tried and did ok but some of his passing wasn't quite there, at least he was trying the killer ball.  We have to remember, the squad has 2 playmakers (Stock and Woods), 4 attacking midfielders and a play breaking midfielder.  Neither playmaker was playing so it means the others have to adjust their roles, effecting the whole midfield.

But back to the point of the thread, if we want promotion (ludicrous to suggest the club is anywhere near that) then most of the squad would be under threat.  We're not at that stage yet, but what worries me is that we're not really progressing at the moment.

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 27, 2010, 09:24:18 pm by Shawndrfc »
i think mutch is a better play hu we could mold into a great player, also we woods comes bak i can see a partnership there. Wilson is squad player at least and will probably leave at the end of this season. But him a hird were disapointing today, wilson looked in his own little world most of the time.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 27, 2010, 09:39:58 pm by bpoolrover »
it's easier to say wilson thou so that he can get a few more replies to his comment  ;)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 28, 2010, 12:42:18 am by BillyStubbsTears »
big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:
Wilson did ok AGAIN! Just OK.  I'd like to question how can people can criticise his role in midfield but not that of Sam Hird

You are living in a dream world spadger. Hird was originally supposed to play at centre-half. He was pushed up into central midfield as an early change to give us some much needed physical presence, as Wilson went into his Man Who Wasn't There routine again.

Wilson. I have never in nearly 40 years of watching football seen a player who so often gets in positions near the centre of the action without doing anything to remotely influence events. He's clearly got a footballing brain, cos he knows where to position himself, but he has neither the physique, the heart or the ability to do anything of note when he gets there. There was a spell of three minutes or so in the first half where FOUR times in a row, we saw classic Wilson moments. First time, when in loads of space, he played a dreadful ball down the right channel 30 yards in front of Sharp (and yes Big Lad, you're right, Sharp didn't respond to it. Since it rocketed past him and flew out for a goal kick, he might have had a point...) Then three times in a row, he put in powder-puff challenges in midfield that the Palace players shrugged off before launching attacks.

In the second half, his role seemed to be to track players for 20 yards through midfield, then wave a foot in their general direction as they ghosted past him and into dangerous positions.

When he's at the very top of his game, he is just about able to justify a back-up place. When he's on his usual game, like today, he's playing two divisions higher than he should be. The fact that he got 89 minutes today shows just how stretched our midfield resources are.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 28, 2010, 06:45:29 am by DonnyNoel »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

In the second half, his role seemed to be to track players for 20 yards through midfield, then wave a foot in their general direction as they ghosted past him and into dangerous positions.

Whilst I agree with what you wrote BST, sadly the bit I've pulled out could apply to any of our midfield today.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
Re:If we are ever going to challenge for promotion
« Reply #13 on February 28, 2010, 10:43:48 am by mushRTID »
big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:
Wilson did ok AGAIN! Just OK.  I'd like to question how can people can criticise his role in midfield but not that of Sam Hird and Hird broke up play well little else though?  They did little different in fact Wilson was better.  Time and time again Wilson hit passes that the players didn't react to.  He played some good balls but the movement of the front players wasn't as good as it could have been.

Oster tried and did ok but some of his passing wasn't quite there, at least he was trying the killer ball.  We have to remember, the squad has 2 playmakers (Stock and Woods), 4 attacking midfielders and a play breaking midfielder.  Neither playmaker was playing so it means the others have to adjust their roles, effecting the whole midfield.

But back to the point of the thread, if we want promotion (ludicrous to suggest the club is anywhere near that) then most of the squad would be under threat.  We're not at that stage yet, but what worries me is that we're not really progressing at the moment.

have you seriously just suggested Mark Wilson was better than Sam Hird yesterday or have I read that wrong?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012