Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:59:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Johnson next to go?  (Read 5961 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Johnson next to go?
« on March 17, 2010, 08:05:51 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Rumours down south that he'll be getting the chop at Bristol City tonight and not a pork one either.

He's had a bad run that's for sure.  Let's hope they don't come after GOD.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
Re:Johnson next to go?
« Reply #1 on March 17, 2010, 08:10:03 pm by Akinfenwa »
I hope SO'D realises that he can do better than them.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 18, 2010, 09:47:38 am by coventryrover »
He has left city by mutual consent

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 18, 2010, 09:47:42 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Gone SOD is favoured by their fans as his replacement, I hope they piss off.

Gary Johnson has left his post as manager of Bristol City FC by mutual consent, the club can confirm.

The 54-year-old leaves with immediate effect and with the best wishes of all at Ashton Gate.

Chairman Steve Lansdown says: \"I would like to place on record my thanks to Gary for the fantastic work he has done over four-and-a-half years at the club.

\"Winning promotion from League One and reaching the Championship play-off final will always live long in the memory for myself and I'm sure for our supporters as well.

\"Results haven't gone as well as everyone would have liked this season and it's been mutually agreed that now is the right time to make a change.\"

Gary Johnson says: \"I'd like to thank the chairman for his continual support throughout the last four-and-a-half years and congratulate him on taking the club to the level it currently enjoys.

\"I thank the majority of the club's fans for their tremendous support during my time with the club.

\"I thank the players and staff for their continued efforts in getting this club from what was a position at the bottom of League One when I joined, to promotion to the Championship, to the play-off final for a place in the Premier League and then to compete in the Championship thereafter.

\"I leave Bristol City FC with fond memories but feel the time is right to move on to a new challenge.\"

Keith Millen will take charge of team affairs for Saturday's televised game with Newcastle United.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 18, 2010, 10:03:02 am by River Don »
That'll make Sean O'Driscoll the current 15th longest serving manager in England on something like a mere 3 and a half years. It's ridiculous really.

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 18, 2010, 10:31:06 am by podrover73 »
According to fans poll on Bristol City forum Sean is third most popular choice behind Coppell and Curbishley.

However they can't even spell his name correctly

Biggles

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 18, 2010, 10:57:36 am by Biggles »
http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/125313-new-boss-you-decide/

Fans favourite now.

Thing is though they don't seem to appreciate its up to him and not up to them!

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 18, 2010, 11:04:21 am by DRNaith »
Biggles wrote:
http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/125313-new-boss-you-decide/

Fans favourite now.

Thing is though they don't seem to appreciate its up to him and not up to them!

No, still third in the poll

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 18, 2010, 11:20:36 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Fav   Name

5.00   Gareth Southgate                              4                                    
5.50   Paul Tisdale                                       9/2                                    
6.50   Sean ODriscoll                                       11/2                                    
7.00   Phil Brown                                       6                                    
9.00   Eddie Howe                                       8                                    
10.00   Steve Coppell                                          9                                    
12.00   George Burley                                       11                                    
13.00   Gary Megson                                       12                                    
13.00   Alan Curbishley                                       12                                    
13.00   Brendan Rodgers                                       12                                    
15.00   Paul Jewell                                       14                                    
15.00   Derek McInnes                                          14                                    
17.00   Steve Tilson                                       16                                    
17.00   Jim Magilton                                       16                                    
17.00   Mark Cooper                                       16                                    
19.00   Gary Speed                                       18                                    
19.00   Ian Holloway                                       18                                    
21.00   Steve McClaren                                       20                                    
21.00   Glenn Hoddle                                       20                                    
21.00   Andy Scott                                       20                                    
23.00   Dean Holdsworth                                       22                                    
34.00   Joe Jordan                                          33

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 18, 2010, 11:25:29 am by CusworthRovers »
I think you forgot one mate, which happens to be the favourite for the job.

3.00 W Gummidge 2

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 18, 2010, 11:46:04 am by Viking Don »
2.50 P. Ayres. 3/2

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on March 18, 2010, 11:51:29 am by Filo »
I think this is another managerial casualty we can add to our CV after the drubbing we gave them  :laugh:

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 18, 2010, 12:38:30 pm by DRNaith »
Rigoglioso wrote:
Why would SO'D leave us to join Bristol City when they are a club who are six points below us in the table, don't look like they can get promotion anytime soon and really aren't massively bigger than ourselves!

Backwards step if ever I've seen one. I think some of their fans have been on the cider too much if they expect SO'D to be their new manager!

With recent financial digs I could see the words \"I feel I've taken Doncaster as far as I can\"

Don't Bristol have bigger gates normally?

I think, given time, SO'D would get Bristol City into the premier league.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 18, 2010, 01:12:40 pm by bedale rover »
id go further rigo  they have one one of the poorest teams we have played at the KMS in the last 2 years

lets play 2 big forwards and launch from just inside the opposition half......yawn.....!

they cant do worse that gary johnson even if they took gary megson! :ohmy:

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 18, 2010, 02:32:58 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
SOD 4/1 favourite with the bookies.  No surprises but I don't think they're big enough for him at the moment, he's a good chance of getting a bigger club soon.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 18, 2010, 02:40:47 pm by not on facebook »
why would SOD leave rovers for bristol city

a.....does his wife still not live in bournemouth area,need i say more

b.....at a guess he will have to start all over again but in the long run iam sure that club size of bristol city would offer more money in his season by season treasure chest to build his squad

c....maybe SOD thinks that he cant take rovers any further

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 18, 2010, 03:45:00 pm by Dr Fundlekrotch »
Ifs, Buts and Maybes, Oslo.  2 questions - Would SOD see it as an advance and can they afford the compensation that was too much for Burnley?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 18, 2010, 04:53:03 pm by River Don »
Dr Fundlekrotch wrote:
Ifs, Buts and Maybes, Oslo.  2 questions - Would SOD see it as an advance and can they afford the compensation that was too much for Burnley?

It would represent a small step up, they have a larger fan base than us and it could be argued that should they reach the Premier league they could grow more than the likes of Rovers, Burnley or Wigan because of their geographical location and lack of other local big club sides.

Still if they came calling it'd be a big decision for him because it's a similar challenge to Rovers, he'd need to rebuild and be given the time to do that. He's wise enough to know the kind of backing he gets from the Rovers board is a rare in football.

Bikka

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 18, 2010, 04:56:11 pm by Bikka »
does that mean they can stop bouncing now  :P

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 18, 2010, 05:53:25 pm by DRNaith »
Rigoglioso wrote:
Bristol City would hardly be a forward step for O'Driscoll though, Naith.

When we came into this league, we got excited about playing the likes of West Brom, Wolves, Birmingham, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Reading etc - clubs who have been in the Premier League and are proven at this level. Now if it was one of those clubs who had just sacked their manager, then I'd be more concerned, but not Bristol City. They are as fashionable as a pig in manure and they certainly aren't anything that can spectacularly claim to be distinctly better than Donny Rovers at the minute!

I think that BC would be a better option than Burnley.  O'Driscoll needs time to get a team playing how he wants it to (I think he would not have saved Burnley from the drop), realistically all BC want until the end of this season is to stay up and then he has twelve months to focus on the play-off places.

I believe that BC will give more money to whoever replaces Johnson than we will make available to O'Driscoll.

The best way for a manager to get into the premier league to get promoted there with a team.  Most premier league clubs who take on managers with no previous premier league experience are clubs that are struggling and likely to be relegated and that scenario doesn't give O'Driscoll the time he needs to develop the team to his style.

If I were O'Driscoll I would be more likely to jump at a CCC club that I could realistically gain promotion with rather than a short-term option at a struggling premier league club.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 18, 2010, 06:57:45 pm by not on facebook »
Ifs, Buts and Maybes, Oslo. 2 questions - Would SOD see it as an advance and can they afford the compensation that was too much for Burnley?

yes very true fella 'if's and buts'

iam sure SOD would see it as a addvance in the 'long run'.

as for bristol having a million in their back pocket well thats a good point.

but my first point was that bristol is a lot closer to where his wife is still living
that alone might raise the eye brow of SOD,and who could blame him if the case.

family at sometime must come first

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 18, 2010, 08:01:48 pm by wilts rover »
Bournmouth near Bristol? It maybe looks a lot closer than Donny on a map but its a horrible journey let me assure you.

City are rumoured to be in debt by about £8million after 'speculating to accumulate' last season. Maynard seems to have come off but there were some big high salary failures by Johnson. Who was the Czech guy they bought for a million who never played?

With the priority now being the new stadium there is no money for the team, which is why they didn't buy anybody in January, and big problems if they do go down.

Given that they are not the most patient of boards, just check out how many managers they have had in recent years, then you have to ask how attractive the job might be to Sean O'Driscoll?

The bookies who are reporting big money going on Alan Curbishley in the past hour dont seem to think so anyway
http://www.online-betting-guide.co.uk/news/18226286/Next+Bristol+City+Manager+Betting+Odds+See+Major+Move+For+New+Favourite+Alan+Curbishley.html

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 18, 2010, 08:22:50 pm by not on facebook »
now you put it that way wilts rovers SOD would be off his head
to even think about bristol city

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 18, 2010, 08:46:25 pm by wilts rover »
thats the way I see it as well Oslo, it will be a good job in a year or two's time when they get the new stadium built and their finances sorted - but not a job anybody with long term planning in mind would want to touch. I bet whoever gets it wont be in post this time next season anyway, they will have either failed and been sacked - or seen it as a stop gap opportunity until something better came up.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012