Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:39:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lowest we can finish is 13th....  (Read 2853 times)

Redandwhitewhizards

• Forum Member
Lowest we can finish is 13th....
« on April 24, 2010, 08:21:40 pm by Redandwhitewhizards »
So we will beat last season placing (unless Swansea thrash us!)

Great season

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
Re:Lowest we can finish is 13th....
« Reply #1 on April 24, 2010, 08:24:52 pm by hoolahoop »
It certainly was , really impressed with the way the team have played this season..........again further advancement.  :)  :)  :)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 24, 2010, 08:28:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
A win might put us up and beat our highest ever finish, 11th.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 24, 2010, 08:38:05 pm by hoolahoop »
Lets hope so DBR, so much for the collapse after Mills and Wellens departure eh.  B)  B)  B)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 25, 2010, 12:59:19 am by BillyStubbsTears »
We have improved upon our previous season's finish in 11 of the last 12 seasons. Only time we went backwards was in O'Driscoll;s first season.

I can't believe that any club has ever had a record like that. omething to be very, very proud of.

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 25, 2010, 03:20:03 pm by streatham dave »
the highest league placement for this club is 7th not 11th in 1901-1902 season, but still one way or another we have done well and are progressing.

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 25, 2010, 08:23:59 pm by Harrogate Rover »
Its worth mentioning that the one season we finished lower than the previous,2006/07, was the season we won the J.Paint trophy. After beating Crewe, the following 10 games leading up to the final brought just 2 wins and 3 draws.

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #7 on April 25, 2010, 08:50:59 pm by topnotch_Donny »
It shows how good we were in that second half of last season, with Heffs, Stock, Wellens, Mills etc.

If only we could have kept Mills and Wellens, we would be going back to wembley for sure.

Anyhow this season has taught me one thing, we need Billy or Heffs upfront, otherwise we are going down.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 25, 2010, 10:51:02 pm by RoversAlias »
streatham dave wrote:
the highest league placement for this club is 7th not 11th in 1901-1902 season, but still one way or another we have done well and are progressing.

There were only 18 teams in the division that season though, it can be argued that it isn't really the same division.

Interesting to note that season we finished three places behind 'Woolwich Arsenal' and directly above Glossop. We even finished above a certain Newton Heath who went on to become quite successful later on  :laugh:

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 26, 2010, 11:35:44 am by streatham dave »
On the basis of that the league in the 50's is not really the same as this one either as lower down the pyramid it was set up differntly and prob different number of teams in top div. I know that 1902 is a hell of a long time ago but it is still part of our proud heritage.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 26, 2010, 12:20:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
A major reason for our improvement on last season is that Wellens and Mills were replaced by better players.....Oster and Shackell.

In my very humble opinion anyway.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 26, 2010, 01:20:22 pm by not on facebook »
so after the departures of wellens and mills,rovers seemed to have found
hard core foundations for the team

a nice platform to build upon for next couple of seasons,hence to keep going
in a forward direction.

what rovers players if sold will effect them foundations,also who or where
do rovers better the said hard core

to sign billy sharp is one obvious answer,but if not billy then a player in same mould

what worrys me is who rovers might have to sell.take stock can this team  progess
without stock

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 26, 2010, 01:21:32 pm by Drover »
topnotch_Donny wrote:
It shows how good we were in that second half of last season, with Heffs, Stock, Wellens, Mills etc.

If only we could have kept Mills and Wellens, we would be going back to wembley for sure.

Anyhow this season has taught me one thing, we need Billy or Heffs upfront, otherwise we are going down.

Don't think that would have happened anyway,IF they had stayed I believe we would not have attempted to get Shackell on loan.And I agree with Bentley Shackell is an even BETTER player than millsy.I think we would have probably still looked at bringing Oster in even if wellens stayed but They have different attributes to the game.Oster is more energetic for longer periods than Wellens is but Wellens is more direct around the box when his chances came.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 26, 2010, 01:39:45 pm by River Don »
The problem in this league will always be holding onto a hardcore of players.

Rovers players who step up and perform consistently will always attract the attention of bigger clubs. Loan signings might give us greater strength but if they are a success it makes it so much harder for us to hold on to them.

My feeling is that while we remain in this league we'll be relying on Sean to rebuild a successful side every season.

The likes of JOC and Oster can't have gone unnoticed this season, I'm watching the skies for summer vultures already.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 27, 2010, 12:03:13 am by CusworthRovers »
I would be very very surprised in all honesty if we lost any of our players this summer.(obviously excluding the ones where we are happy to release/let go)
I do not believe any of our current squad will be seen to be individually very good by others.....and long may that thought continue.

Obviously Stocky is most vulnerable of our current crop IMO, but after the last 2 seasons, he will hopefully be seen to be injury prone and not a long term investment. I just cannot see a club where he could go, unless he was to drop down a league to the Solent area.

I just know, I will be reminded of this post.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 27, 2010, 12:09:15 am by BillyStubbsTears »
River Don wrote:

The likes of JOC and Oster can't have gone unnoticed this season, I'm watching the skies for summer vultures already.

O'Connor has been superb this season. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if someone came with a 6-zero cheque for him this summer.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012