Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:55:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Shackell Gone To Dingles  (Read 14715 times)

pkt_drfc

• Forum Member

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Re:Shackell Gone To Dingles
« Reply #1 on May 12, 2010, 10:32:20 am by 5minstogo »
Oh poo.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 12, 2010, 10:34:39 am by bedale rover »
Ward it is then :S

smitiai

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 12, 2010, 10:34:52 am by smitiai »
Oh sh1t...  Thats bad for the hoops.

adge

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 12, 2010, 10:37:27 am by adge »
well , if he had ambition he wouldn't have rushed to sign for barnsley.

so quite simply a money thing

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 12, 2010, 10:45:57 am by 5minstogo »
Something makes me wonder if we ever had any intention of signing him.

He has ambition, wants to push on in his career, yet joins a team that finished below us in the league.

Strange.

kybone

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 12, 2010, 10:55:19 am by kybone »
So again it seems we've been caught knapping in the transfer market. I cant believe that Barnsley will have offered him much more than we could afford. We really have missed a trick here i feel. M aybe the fact is that we never planned to sign him and the club made him aware of this. I only hope were not left sifting through the dregs in mid july looking for signings. I know it worked out very well in the end this season but i wouldnt rely on this strategy. Its maybe time for the club to start assessing their ambitions i think as sod and his best players arent gonna stick around much longer if this is going to be the scenario every summer.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 12, 2010, 11:00:04 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Money, simple as that.  Good riddance to him.  Not long ago he was saying how he liked it here and liked our ambition.  Hope he rots over there and regrets leaving.  Not many go on to better things when turning us down do they?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 12, 2010, 11:01:03 am by DonnyNoel »
Pity, but assuming the article on the site is correct where it states there were several clubs interested then we probably didn't stand much chance in a bidding war. Whilst thats disappointing I wouldn't have wanted to pay over the odds from him and that hinder a move for Billy, especially as I'd class a striker as more of a priority than a CB at the moment (especially as SOD has aways done well for defenders recently).

Just shows that whilst we do well with loan signings sometimes you can be doing other clubs scouting for them!  :S

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 12, 2010, 11:04:06 am by Guernsey Exile »
And so it begins -

Just remember - IN SOD WE TRUST

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 12, 2010, 11:08:27 am by steve@dcfd »
adge wrote:
well , if he had ambition he wouldn't have rushed to sign for barnsley.

so quite simply a money thing

Without him and Sharpe then we would have finished below Barnsley.

Rovers should have signed him now we will have to accept second best.

And so it begins -

Just remember - IN SOD WE TRUST

If the board wont pay up then SOD will suffer.

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 12, 2010, 11:18:23 am by Bald Rover »
love it! sorry but how many times was Shacks injured? maybe another player who thought he was worth more than he was??

why do we always assume that our board has come up short or too late?? have you ever thought that Shacks wanted stupid wages and a stupid contract and our board/Sod/Jr have told him to go jump?? maybe Barnsley have more money than sense?

If Mr Shacks gets injured first game and spends 6 weeks on the injury list you will all be saying thank god we didnt sign him!!

Good player yes...indespensable no way!

remember Wellens and Mills???

just wait till were all singing \"Shackall whats the score\" lol

kybone

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 12, 2010, 11:21:33 am by kybone »
Why does everyone always talk as if a deal for billy sharp is so likely! I hope he does sign but id be absolutely gobsmacked if he did. Put it this way, if we cant afford the wages of a decent centre back then how are we to afford the wages  and the £1m or so that sheff u will want for sharp? Keeping in mind that last year we recouped about £2.6m on player sales and our only money purchase was Byron Webster for about £100k. Our crowds have also been slightly down this year and we havent had a cup run. we'll be lucky to be able to afford sharp if we sold stock, copps and woods. Not to sound too dispondant like!

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 12, 2010, 11:24:33 am by DMnumber4 »
big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:
Money, simple as that.  Good riddance to him.  Not long ago he was saying how he liked it here and liked our ambition.  Hope he rots over there and regrets leaving.  Not many go on to better things when turning us down do they?

My feeling exactly. Macca, Greeny, Mills, where are they now? Within touching distance! I suppose Wellens has the chance to be in the PL but whether it happens is anyones guess.

Hope someone cruches him like Doolan did to McFAIL.

I thought it was a nailed-on signing.

irishcontingent

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 12, 2010, 11:29:38 am by irishcontingent »
Well, thats my theory of \"Players\" under contract not being able to sign for another club till July 1st blown out.

Not sure if a good or bad thing not to have signed him, time will tell i suppose.

Wonder if JS was one of this close season \"Interesting / Mouthwatering signings\" Gartom hinted at a few weeks back ( as quoted from JR conversation ).

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 12, 2010, 11:31:01 am by DonnyNoel »
kybone wrote:
Put it this way, if we cant afford the wages of a decent centre back then how are we to afford the wages  and the £1m or so that sheff u will want for sharp?

There's a huge difference between \"can't afford\" and \"won't pay\". I can afford to buy a Mars Bar off you for a fiver but I won't, especially if it means it leaves me with no more [strike]transfer kitty[/strike] money to buy a sandwich.

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 12, 2010, 11:41:44 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
irishcontingent wrote:
Well, thats my theory of \"Players\" under contract not being able to sign for another club till July 1st blown out.

They can sign at any point in a season but cannot be registered to play until the window is open.

pkt_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 12, 2010, 11:43:00 am by pkt_drfc »
big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:
irishcontingent wrote:

They can sign at any point in a season but cannot be registered to play until the window is open.

Nevermind one door closes another one will open

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 12, 2010, 11:46:12 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Exactly.  We'll have a long list of players as we normally do.  It was doom and gloom when we sold Mills and we recovered.  Plenty to be excited about and a long summer ahead.

Donnyboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 12, 2010, 11:46:41 am by Donnyboy »
I agree with both sides of this argument, yes Shackell was a good defender and yes i would have been happy to see him sign but is it really that big of a deal!? There will always be another defender like Lee or Mills or Shackell to come in and replace him! SOD will find someone just as good he's proved this time and time again, its all about the system and the some of the parts not about one individual player. My concern is not Shackell but whether SOD really wanted to make this signing permanent or not because if he did and we didn't deliver then that could be a major issue regarding his position as manager.

And to sign for Barnsley of all teams? Come on Shacks get a grip i hope he likes the hoofball style, and trying to spin all this rubbish about \"ambition\" is patronising beyond belief.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 12, 2010, 11:46:46 am by RobTheRover »
kybone wrote:
Why does everyone always talk as if a deal for billy sharp is so likely! I hope he does sign but id be absolutely gobsmacked if he did. Put it this way, if we cant afford the wages of a decent centre back then how are we to afford the wages  and the £1m or so that sheff u will want for sharp?

Have you given any consideration to the thought that we are pushing the boat out to get Sharp and as a consequence cant offer Shacks what he was looking for?  SOD has alternative plans.  The feeding frenzy of signings is going to accelerate over the coming weeks.

Good luck to Shacks, and thanks for his contribution last season.  Told the Barnsley lads here they have a gem.

kybone

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 12, 2010, 11:48:41 am by kybone »
The point i was trying to make was that there has been no evidence to suggest thta we can even come close affording sharp. i dont think we could afford his wages or the fee in fact i'v heard sod on radio sheff several times this season dismiss our chances of signing sharp simply by saying that he is out of our league financially. If we were the only team in for him we might stand some sort of chance but that wont be the case and as we've seen before we invariably fail to get our man when other clubs come in.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 12, 2010, 11:49:33 am by 5minstogo »
Maybe SOD favours Ward next to Martis.

Ward more of a footballer, Martis more of a defender (now that he's got his shaky start out of his system ;) )

I seem to remember Ward turned down a loan to Barnsley so he could come to us.

We'll have to wait and see. Perhaps a transfer fee, signing on fee and competitive wages were a bridge too far. At least Ward is a free agent.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 12, 2010, 11:56:25 am by 5minstogo »
RobTheRover wrote:

Have you given any consideration to the thought that we are pushing the boat out to get Sharp and as a consequence cant offer Shacks what he was looking for?  SOD has alternative plans.  The feeding frenzy of signings is going to accelerate over the coming weeks.

Good luck to Shacks, and thanks for his contribution last season.  Told the Barnsley lads here they have a gem.

This may well be the problem if we wait around for Sharp and he then decides his future lies elsewhere.

pkt_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 12, 2010, 12:00:40 pm by pkt_drfc »
I think we will be ok WE will sign players what will be better then Shackell and the mighty ROVERS will be in top 6 next season where the dingles will be in the bottom 6 once again showing a player should have stopped with the ROVERS

kybone

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 12, 2010, 12:05:25 pm by kybone »
I am generally optimistic about what the club will do as things seem to have worked out nicely recently. its some of the posters on here that i was questioning. Those that seem to think that we haven't signed shack because we're saving up for sharp. i dont see it as very likely at all. just because we had him on loan and he liked it. If the club cant make a serious offer for him and to him then their time will be better spent tracking other other more affordable targets.

pkt_drfc

• Forum Member

crossydrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on May 12, 2010, 12:18:04 pm by crossydrfc »
looks like shackell dint want the mighty rovers  :(  but we still have a chance in signing ward  :) hopefully we will

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on May 12, 2010, 12:20:47 pm by Alan Southstand »
Bad news, as I think he would have propelled us forwards next season.

crossydrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on May 12, 2010, 12:23:05 pm by crossydrfc »
yepp i agree coz hes scored a couple of goals from defence but also is one of the most affective defenders we had.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012