Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:16:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Shackell Gone To Dingles  (Read 14723 times)

Muttley

• VSC Member
Re:Shackell Gone To Dingles
« Reply #30 on May 12, 2010, 12:24:04 pm by Muttley »
Also, Barnsley have released Darren Moore (who was presumably on high wages) so maybe feel that they can push the boat out a bit in signing his replacement.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

crossydrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 12, 2010, 12:27:25 pm by crossydrfc »
he would be a great signing but it just his wages but him and o'conner in the middle would be a great partnership but if roberts leaves we need a good replacement for him aswell.

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 12, 2010, 12:30:32 pm by redbrez »
gutted  :(

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 12, 2010, 12:34:42 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
b*llocks  :(

crossydrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 12, 2010, 12:36:14 pm by crossydrfc »
either darren moore or elliot ward for drfc next season.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 12, 2010, 12:41:13 pm by 5minstogo »
crossydrfc wrote:
either darren moore or elliot ward for drfc next season.

Darren Moore ? f**k off. I stand more chance of beating him in a race.

Plus he has signed for Burton Albion.

BessieBlue

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 12, 2010, 12:44:30 pm by BessieBlue »
Would be interesting to know how the Mick McCarthy - Dingles link worked in all of this - McCarthy being an ex Dingle.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 12, 2010, 12:48:11 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Unless I see some positive moves in the transfer market soon Im gonna start to get seriously worried about our prospects next season!  :(

Shackell - Gone, Sharp rumoured to be on his way to Derby, Roberts likewise, who else hasnt accepted new contracts yet?, How many players do we have on our books right now?

Players arent mugs - with this new money deal from the Premier League filtering down, Players/ Agents are well aware that they can milk Clubs that little bit more in The Championship. We are seriously going to have to re-assess what we NEED to pay out to get some quality in.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 12, 2010, 12:57:14 pm by Drover »
5minstogo wrote:
Something makes me wonder if we ever had any intention of signing him.

He has ambition, wants to push on in his career, yet joins a team that finished below us in the league.

Strange.

When he aggravated that groin injury against Florist I never forgot the look on his face and he stormed down the tunnel without any contact with the bench.I know he may well have just been gutted at the reoccurence of the injury but I could'nt help worrying he was mad at SOD n ROK for playing him too soon after the op.I was shocked when he was named in the team.I thought at the time IF he was angry at SOD n ROK we may never see him in a Rovers shirt again.Its one of the rare occasions that they got a decision wrong and to be fair they admitted that.Did we really want to sign him or are they just saying that we did to try and appease the disappointed fans.I Look on the bright side we had a very decent season despite having long spells without Shackell and without stock.The team coped without them.We've got Shelton who I thought we would not see again and we still might get King Billy and even Gillett?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 12, 2010, 02:04:14 pm by RoversAlias »
BessieBlue wrote:
Would be interesting to know how the Mick McCarthy - Dingles link worked in all of this - McCarthy being an ex Dingle.

Nevermind ex-dingle...Mick McCarthy is a PERMANENT dingle, being that he is born and bred in Barnsley.

This is gutting, Shackell is a great player and for him to turn around and join our local rivals is disappointing. It shows to me that we have problems in the transfer market. He's been here all season yet signs for another club less than 2 weeks after the end of the season. If we keep waiting around we won't sign Sharp, Ward or anyone else and we'll be stuck signing League 2 players to fill our squad, and see where that gets us.

I don't expect we'll be able to sign Ward either...the way SOD carries on in the media you wonder if we have more than 20 quid to chuck at players, and Ward is allegedly on quite a high wage at Coventry.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 12, 2010, 02:11:08 pm by steve@dcfd »
Rigoglioso wrote:
Elliot Ward it is then.

I know a lot of people thought Shackell was our best option out of them two, but I always preferred Elliot Ward. Hope we manage to sign him now. It'd be a free transfer and he's absolutely quality!

Is he the same quality has the other players you have championed, Prea, Rigogliso not forgetting the messiah Gareth Taylor

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 12, 2010, 02:16:54 pm by steve@dcfd »
RoversAlias wrote:
BessieBlue wrote:

Nevermind ex-dingle...Mick McCarthy is a PERMANENT dingle, being that he is born and bred in Barnsley.

This is gutting, Shackell is a great player and for him to turn around and join our local rivals is disappointing. It shows to me that we have problems in the transfer market. He's been here all season yet signs for another club less than 2 weeks after the end of the season. If we keep waiting around we won't sign Sharp, Ward or anyone else and we'll be stuck signing League 2 players to fill our squad, and see where that gets us.

I don't expect we'll be able to sign Ward either...the way SOD carries on in the media you wonder if we have more than 20 quid to chuck at players, and Ward is allegedly on quite a high wage at Coventry.

He can only spend the money given him by the board we did not sign quality last summer apart eventually Oster and we might lose out with him. We signed Martis for a £50,000 fee so £500,000 is out of our league. Billy Sharp will also be out of our league unless its aloan. JR and the board will say we are working with in our budget to keep on a stable footing. If so then lets not keep saying we are aiming for the playoffs the two do not match.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 12, 2010, 02:21:10 pm by RoversAlias »
Well exactly. No point raising everyones hopes and expectations if it isn't a realistic possibility. Everything JR has promised in the past has come true though...maybe this is just one step too far.

DRFC MYERS

« Reply #43 on May 12, 2010, 02:22:25 pm by DRFC MYERS »
quite gutted about this but i thought he might go to a bigger team than dingles, disapionting we couldnt get out the blocks earlier and sign him

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 12, 2010, 02:28:19 pm by Filo »
I`m rather pissed off by this, is it going to be another close season of dithering again. We`ve had no word about whether any of the contract offers have been renewed!

Smeg

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 12, 2010, 02:37:00 pm by Smeg »
I'm not worried in the slightest. I trust Sean O'Driscoll 100% but if we end up getting relegated then it was fun while it lasted. You can't complain really. We have overachieved massively in the last few years and it won't go on forever.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 12, 2010, 03:06:24 pm by bedale rover »
Drover wrote:
5minstogo wrote:
Something makes me wonder if we ever had any intention of signing him.

He has ambition, wants to push on in his career, yet joins a team that finished below us in the league.

Strange.

When he aggravated that groin injury against Florist I never forgot the look on his face and he stormed down the tunnel without any contact with the bench.I know he may well have just been gutted at the reoccurence of the injury but I could'nt help worrying he was mad at SOD n ROK for playing him too soon after the op.I was shocked when he was named in the team.I thought at the time IF he was angry at SOD n ROK we may never see him in a Rovers shirt again.Its one of the rare occasions that they got a decision wrong and to be fair they admitted that.Did we really want to sign him or are they just saying that we did to try and appease the disappointed fans.I Look on the bright side we had a very decent season despite having long spells without Shackell and without stock.The team coped without them.We've got Shelton who I thought we would not see again and we still might get King Billy and even Gillett?

do you not read anything rovers related!

shackell was the one who declared himself fit for that game not SOD or ROK

shackell made the decision SOD regretted it but he has always let the player make the decision over their own fitness

jb stainforth

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 12, 2010, 03:32:48 pm by jb stainforth »
Smeg wrote:
I'm not worried in the slightest. I trust Sean O'Driscoll 100% but if we end up getting relegated then it was fun while it lasted. You can't complain really. We have overachieved massively in the last few years and it won't go on forever.

i trust sod to but do you trust the board now they have your season ticket money

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 12, 2010, 03:46:53 pm by Wellred »
Well thats a great start in getting the wavering fans to buy a season ticket for next season!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 12, 2010, 03:56:37 pm by MrFrost »
I'm not surprised. Anyone who thought we had a chance of signing Sharp or Shackell needs a realty check. season ticket sales will be down on last season which means the budget Sod gets will be less for next season.

IMO we will have to try out best with free transfers and loan signings and see where that gets us. We need to accept we are bottom of the league when it comes to how much we can spend on players. Scunthorpe and Blackpool can afford to spend more on transfer fees.

I don't believe the club has any ambitions apart from to get by if they can in this league by spending as little as possible. that's fair enough.

Next season will be the biggest struggle so far IMO

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #50 on May 12, 2010, 03:59:29 pm by topnotch_Donny »
pkt_drfc wrote:
I think we will be ok WE will sign players what will be better then Shackell and the mighty ROVERS will be in top 6 next season where the dingles will be in the bottom 6 once again showing a player should have stopped with the ROVERS

I cant see many defenders out there being better than Shackel;he was quality.

And you say the Dingles will be down there? I think they will have a good season now that Robins has a chance to bring in his own players.

Weren't our fans (last summer) saying that Forest would struggle when we were arm wrestling with the Forest fans over Mills?

It only takes a couple of good signings to make real progression, in this league.

I really liked Shackel, and it has saddened me that he has left especially as he has left to go to the Dingles  :(

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on May 12, 2010, 04:26:37 pm by eastender »
Rigoglioso wrote:
Elliot Ward it is then.

I know a lot of people thought Shackell was our best option out of them two, but I always preferred Elliot Ward. Hope we manage to sign him now. It'd be a free transfer and he's absolutely quality!

Elliot Ward might yet find himself back in favour at Coventry (Depending on who their new manager is) so i wouldn't start counting chickens just yet.

GM-MarkB

« Reply #52 on May 12, 2010, 04:48:11 pm by GM-MarkB »
What I find most depressing is the continual statements from O'Driscoll like the one about Shackell :

\"he was a £500,000 buy from Norwich - so that transfer fee puts it well out of our transfer capabilities.\"

That's either really shrewd spin and storytelling or we really haven't got 2 pennies to rub together  :(

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 12, 2010, 05:14:58 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I said all along on season tickets that if the fans didn't buy then the signings would not come.  The fans as yet haven't bought in great numbers and subsequently neither will the signings.  It's tough luck and we'll have to accept it, simple as that.  Barnsley had 10,000 season ticket holders last year and they've probably had more renew, it's tough luck but that's life.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 12, 2010, 05:24:10 pm by Wellred »
sorry but luck has nothing to do with it.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on May 12, 2010, 06:06:26 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
A bit pedantic, it's a phrase.  In essence it is a fact of life we will have to deal with, no point complaining when half the fans have not been able to put their hands in their pockets.  Everyone has their own reasons and it's not a criticsm it's a fact.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on May 12, 2010, 06:14:12 pm by NickDRFC »
topnotch_Donny wrote:
pkt_drfc wrote:
I think we will be ok WE will sign players what will be better then Shackell and the mighty ROVERS will be in top 6 next season where the dingles will be in the bottom 6 once again showing a player should have stopped with the ROVERS

I cant see many defenders out there being better than Shackel;he was quality.

And you say the Dingles will be down there? I think they will have a good season now that Robins has a chance to bring in his own players.

Weren't our fans (last summer) saying that Forest would struggle when we were arm wrestling with the Forest fans over Mills?

It only takes a couple of good signings to make real progression, in this league.

I really liked Shackel, and it has saddened me that he has left especially as he has left to go to the Dingles  :(

Comfortably the best post on this thread in my opinion. When Shackell came in, the general thought was \"Who needs Mills?\" and let's not forget how good Mills was. I thought in his spell for us Shackell was outstanding, and off the top of my head I can't recall seeing a better centre half than him last season. I wasn't expecting him to come here next year, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend that him joining Barnsley isn't a blow.

And then there's Barnsley themselves. They've got a decent manager, weren't a bad side last year - in fact until that poor spell before and after we visited Oakwell they looked like a late play-off candidate. Plus they might have a bit of money to throw around this year. It's sheer delusion to say we WILL be top 6, Barnsley WILL be bottom 6. Sad truth is, unless we can find a few gems a la Oster and Shackell himself, we could well find ourselves in the bottom three. But f@ck it, I'm going to enjoy the ride all the way!

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 12, 2010, 06:17:18 pm by mushRTID »
There will be plenty of good centre backs going around for free. Im sure if you look around the championship teams there are examples where these freebies are successful. We will just find another, probably Ward although I didnt think he was that good in his loan spell.

Shackell is absolute quality, no doubt about it but he seems a bit injury prone.

Thats 2 decent signings for the dingles, looks like they mean business. I hope we dont leave things too long like we normally do.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 12, 2010, 06:35:43 pm by MrFrost »
The shambolic way the season tickets were advertised hasn't helped selling them, and what incentive to the undecided few now when it is fast becoming clear we've got bugger all money to make any signings with.

JR, gartom etc can bang on with the hype all summer long again, but it won't wash I'm afraid. That's not a dig, I just wish the board would be honest. SOD has confirmed we can't afford anywhere near 500k. Why don't the board just confirm the situation so we don't get our hopes up again.

big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:
I said all along on season tickets that if the fans didn't buy then the signings would not come.  The fans as yet haven't bought in great numbers and subsequently neither will the signings.  It's tough luck and we'll have to accept it, simple as that.  Barnsley had 10,000 season ticket holders last year and they've probably had more renew, it's tough luck but that's life.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on May 12, 2010, 06:38:00 pm by MrFrost »
The shambolic way the season tickets were advertised hasn't helped selling them, and what incentive to the undecided few now when it is fast becoming clear we've got bugger all money to make any signings with.

JR, gartom etc can bang on with the hype all summer long again, but it won't wash I'm afraid. That's not a dig, I just wish the board would be honest. SOD has confirmed we can't afford anywhere near 500k. Why don't the board just confirm the situation so we don't get our hopes up again.

big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012