Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:55:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Shackell Gone To Dingles  (Read 14646 times)

idler

• VSC Member
Re:Shackell Gone To Dingles
« Reply #60 on May 12, 2010, 06:44:54 pm by idler »
Surely we decided that  we didn't want/need or couldn't afford Shackel.
His agent must have wanted to give Rovers a chance after his time spent here to push his own percentage up; as much as he maybe didn't want to come we also surely didn't think that he was worth the asking price.
The only people who know what we valued him at are our management team and board, plous obviously Shackel and his agent. I'm gutted at the message it sends out more than missing out on Shacks.  :(. Still we've seen it all before. :)  Early days yet lads.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on May 12, 2010, 06:47:02 pm by bobjimwilly »
MrFrost, I fear for your health if you are this stressed out after less than 2 weeks after the season ended. Chillax - did SOD and JR not come through for us the last 3 seasons? They'll do it again.

:scarf:

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on May 12, 2010, 06:59:30 pm by MrFrost »
I worry who's going to fund the gap when the average attendance drops by a couple of thousand.
I do wish people wouldn't start the hype though.

DN5Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on May 12, 2010, 07:11:23 pm by DN5Rover »
I fear we may end up losing several players to other clubs who have managed to evaluate the risks/returns of investment.
My unwavering faith in our club is really starting to take a beating.
Will SOD continue to accept being the poor relation of the championship sadly I fear not.
Come on board members prove me wrong

VikingJames

« Reply #64 on May 12, 2010, 07:59:35 pm by VikingJames »
big fat yorkshire pudding wrote:
Money, simple as that.  Good riddance to him.  Not long ago he was saying how he liked it here and liked our ambition.  Hope he rots over there and regrets leaving.  Not many go on to better things when turning us down do they?

Bit harsh.

Footballers have a short career and are stupid if they don't maximise their earnings. It's hardly like we're a massively bigger club than Barnsley is it? If he looks back over his career when he retires, he'd be more pleased with the thought of \"I've got plenty of money in the bank\" than the thought of \"I chose Doncaster Rovers over a similar sized club, and ended up earning less.\"

If two similar employers offered you a job, you'd choose the one with the higher pay. Everybody would.

Redandwhitewhizards

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on May 12, 2010, 08:02:29 pm by Redandwhitewhizards »
Bang on James.

If a competitor asked me if I wanted to go work for them for more money, I wouldn't think twice. You have to look after yourself in this world, and earn what you can, whilst you can. I don't blame footballers for following the money, of course they are going to, I blame those who have created football as we know it today, mainly Sky!

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on May 12, 2010, 08:17:39 pm by Akinfenwa »
I don't find it disappointing that he chose to chose to earn more money elsewhere, its understandable. I do find it disappointing that we can't compete financially with clubs in this league, even the smaller ones like Barnsley. I guess that we'll have to accept this as long as were in this league as the main priority is to remain financially sound. Even so it is still disheartening to watch our top transfer target sign for our local rivals so I can understand others' concerns and frustration.

VikingJames

« Reply #67 on May 12, 2010, 08:20:15 pm by VikingJames »
To be fair, I can understand why people are frustrated. But in all honesty, there isn't much that us or the club can do about Shackell choosing Barnsley.

We had all this doom and gloom when we lost Mills last year, and we ended up finding a replacement. It is a setback, but it's not like Shackell was the only defender available to us. If people are going to write us off every time we lose a player then I might have to take a break from reading this forum every summer. We have to accept that we are a small fish in a big pond, and we will have our players and potential signings nicked from under our noses every transfer window whilst we are in this division, so we have to get used to it, and trust that JR and Sean will find a solution (as they have done every year they've been here, without fail.)

DRFC85

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on May 12, 2010, 08:28:43 pm by DRFC85 »
What's happened to the additional £1.5 - £1.75 million we will earn this year from the restructuring of the parachute payments/ payments to Championship clubs? is this immediately going to be swallowed up by the wage bill?

DRFC85

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on May 12, 2010, 08:28:43 pm by DRFC85 »
Repeat Post

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on May 12, 2010, 09:25:52 pm by Drover »
bedale rover wrote:
Drover wrote:
5minstogo wrote:
Something makes me wonder if we ever had any intention of signing him.

He has ambition, wants to push on in his career, yet joins a team that finished below us in the league.

Strange.

When he aggravated that groin injury against Florist I never forgot the look on his face and he stormed down the tunnel without any contact with the bench.I know he may well have just been gutted at the reoccurence of the injury but I could'nt help worrying he was mad at SOD n ROK for playing him too soon after the op.I was shocked when he was named in the team.I thought at the time IF he was angry at SOD n ROK we may never see him in a Rovers shirt again.Its one of the rare occasions that they got a decision wrong and to be fair they admitted that.Did we really want to sign him or are they just saying that we did to try and appease the disappointed fans.I Look on the bright side we had a very decent season despite having long spells without Shackell and without stock.The team coped without them.We've got Shelton who I thought we would not see again and we still might get King Billy and even Gillett?

do you not read anything rovers related!

shackell was the one who declared himself fit for that game not SOD or ROK

shackell made the decision SOD regretted it but he has always let the player make the decision over their own fitness

So do you take everything the Rovers management says as Gospel?If you do then more fool you.

And Actually SOD said he declared himself fit.Where did you hear shackell himself declare himself fit?

Jonathan

« Reply #71 on May 12, 2010, 09:30:38 pm by Jonathan »
MrFrost wrote:
I just wish the board would be honest. SOD has confirmed we can't afford anywhere near 500k. Why don't the board just confirm the situation so we don't get our hopes up again.

I agree to a point, although I'd question why anybody would get their hopes up about us having bold intentions in the transfer market, it's abundantly clear that is not the case and we rely on a very talented manager to work his magic in the loan and/or 'free' transfer market. Oster had it bang on in his Yorkshire Sport interview this weekend when he said that the board needed to decide what the plan was, either potter about plugging gaps and hoping for the best, or make a statement and bring in the likes of Sharp and Shackell (he directly referred to the two). As he said, a statement of intent would persuade others to sign.

As it is, we've lost out on Shackell and Roberts is on the verge of going too. I think Oster will go, Sharp won't sign and I'd be very surprised if the likes of Stock, Coppinger and O'Connor committed to signing new contracts at the present time - which could mean they're up for sale. Some people will say that is an incredibly negative perspective but I would call it realistic and we'll see how far off the mark I am in the coming months, if I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up.

We could still do okay providing we retain the services of the management, as they have shown they can pull a few rabbits out of hats to plug the gaps, but they will undoubtedly attract interest elsewhere if they keep doing it.

We had another amazing season this season but the chances of 'doing a Blackpool' are minimal as we are less likely to make our impressive loan signings permanent and add to them. Hopefully we can cobble together enough players to enjoy another season as successful as this one, as we should be totally clear on the fact that it was a big success for us.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on May 12, 2010, 10:08:42 pm by MrFrost »
With you with that Jonathan. Is the yearly mouth watering statement a ploy to keep us sweet? Yes.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on May 12, 2010, 10:11:03 pm by MrFrost »
With you with that Jonathan. Is the yearly mouth watering statement a ploy to keep us sweet? Yes.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on May 12, 2010, 10:38:58 pm by Filo »
Why do you post the same thing a few minutes later?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on May 12, 2010, 10:44:20 pm by MrFrost »
Posting from an iPhone. It tends to submit numerous times on it's own accord.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on May 12, 2010, 10:45:21 pm by wilts rover »
DRFC85 wrote:
What's happened to the additional £1.5 - £1.75 million we will earn this year from the restructuring of the parachute payments/ payments to Championship clubs? is this immediately going to be swallowed up by the wage bill?

You would expect so. As all the Championship clubs will be getting this, it is pretty irrelevant when comparing spending power for one club against another. But as the players and the players agents know that all clubs are going to have a bigger budget, you can be sure they will be adding a few more £k's to their wage demands.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on May 12, 2010, 10:46:06 pm by Filo »
It never seems to happen with my iphone, I wonder if it`s something in your settings?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on May 12, 2010, 10:48:10 pm by MrFrost »
It's a known bug. No fix as yet.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on May 12, 2010, 10:56:18 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well that was my first choice priority signing gone.

With the speed of the announcement there doesn't seem to have been any doubt in Shackell's mind, so you have to assume we were not even in the ball park financially.

PACMAN

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on May 13, 2010, 09:47:19 am by PACMAN »
DonnyBazR0ver wrote:
Well that was my first choice priority signing gone.

With the speed of the announcement there doesn't seem to have been any doubt in Shackell's mind, so you have to assume we were not even in the ball park financially.

SOD's first choice as well, according to the DFP. We had a bid accepted but couldn't match the terms offered by Barnsley.

On to Mr Ward then? B)

http://www.thestar.co.uk/rovers/O39Driscoll-39frustrated39-over-Shackell.6291702.jp

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on May 13, 2010, 11:52:34 am by CusworthRovers »
Drat and double drat.

Oh well, it seems we (the club) didn't rate him that highly as we would not match his demands. One has to consider, the lad was plagued with injuries last season (once it started). Even when he played, he would often have to walk off/be substituted by his own say so. The pessimist in me says we have lost a cracking player. The optimist in me tells me he will be injured too much and we have been lucky not to sign him. Time will tell.

One has also got to consider, that Shackell was virtually unheard of by 9/10ths of the Rovers fans, before Sean brought him here. I would draw a similar comparison to Mills and Ward. To say there is nothing out there or there will be nothing good out there is ludicrous. We have a good track record of spotting good talent and I'm convinced that SOD/ROK/MW et al have a network and knowledge of nearly all the players who tick boxes and get known throughout the footballing nation.

Tis a bitter blow, and a bitter pill to chew on, but the CCC season is still being played, as is L1 and L2. We have this every year, of posters panicking and pre-guessing the intentions/or lack of ambition of the board, the manager...their finances....choosing players for them etc etc. All good stuff for the forum....but worth noting we have not been let down yet and at the start of each season we have always looked strong and got stronger as each season as wore on.

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on May 13, 2010, 12:03:33 pm by Jim Dobbin »
From the Yorkshire Post

Chairman John Ryan last night stressed the need for Rovers to stay in control of their finances, saying: \"We made a very substantial offer for Jason but we are not prepared to go beyond our financial limitations. Barnsley must have deeper pockets than us.\"

Nothing to do with not rating him too highly, we couldn't compete end of, lets stop being so bitter and move on to another target, its not the end of the world.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on May 13, 2010, 12:07:49 pm by Alan Southstand »
The facts are, Cussie, that we bid for him and we tried to sign him, and SOD told us we just couldn't compete with what he was offered (by Barnsley - not Man Utd, by the way!). This can only be seen as an early set-back to our 'strengthening' plans for next season (we are assuming that's what we are supposed to be doing as that is what we've been told by the Board).

I don't doubt, for one second, that there are other CB's out there, but will they 'fit in' and will they be as good(?), seeing as we can't afford our first choice and the type of quality that SOD desires? Don't forget, he played for us, for most of last season and we had most of our clean sheets, whilst he was in the team. I'm sure BST will correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

You're right, it's a bitter pill to swallow and just at a time when people are dithering about purchasing their season tickets for next season. Speaking of which, I genuinley think that people are generally holding back paying out until they see what signings we make this summer, as last summer was so dissapointing. This summer is, if anything, going to be worse, with so many of our first team players being out of contract.

Its down to the Club to show their hand.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on May 13, 2010, 12:11:24 pm by DMnumber4 »
CusworthRovers wrote:
but worth noting we have not been let down yet and at the start of each season we have always looked strong and got stronger as each season as wore on.

Not sure when we went to Watford on the opening day I thought that we looked stronger with Locky and Spicer in place of Mills and Wellens respectively!

I maintain we are at the crossroads in our history. The board have the oppurtunity to make a statement of intent, not to the other sides in the league, but to our own fans who buy season tickets and the players currently here e.g. Stock and O'Connor who want to go as far as they can with us.

However if we just admit we can't sign X, Y, Z, then they'll want to go too because we can't match their ambitions.

irishcontingent

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on May 13, 2010, 12:14:23 pm by irishcontingent »
Fee agreed, but not wage to player, so assume 6K a week offer from DRFC, Barnsley offer 9K a week, over 3 year contract that would amount to circa 500 season tickets per season. Seems a bit Pauperish from DRFC.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on May 13, 2010, 12:22:28 pm by CusworthRovers »
At the end of the day, we can bid and offer wages to Puyol or Terry. We can only work within our budget and players will either come on that basis or they'll chase the money elsewhere.

I appreciate, and we all can agree on here, that there have been mixed messages from all at the club concerning one thing or another. The one true message that has held firm over the last few years is the boards insistance that we will only work within our budget. We should all know this and accept this to be the proverbial FACT. Now we can accept that and expect the calibre of player that fits that criteria.....or....we can frustrate ourselves by demanding the board spend spend spend or demand the calibre of player that wants to bust our financial capabilities.

My point is, why frustrate yourselves, get yourselves all uptight.....when you already know what the club have said, and will no doubt do/not do.

Incidentally, I feel there are good signings to be had and will come. Yes, we missed one that was eventually out of our range of what we could afford, but I'm happy that there will be others.

As for Barnsley, as has been pointed out they have sold twice as many ST's as us, thus far.....that gives them a little more clout financially. Probably enough to land the likes of Shackell. I'm also convinced that had we sold 8000 ST's by today, we would have Shack here no problemo

shackelljoinbiggerclub

« Reply #87 on May 13, 2010, 12:34:35 pm by shackelljoinbiggerclub »
Can you blame him? bigger stadium, more fans, bigger club, better history. As o driscoll has said you cant match us because of expectations and financially.
And yer you can say you finished above us last 2 seasons, but thats the first time in years you have even been close too us and it is only 1 game u have finished above us.
All because we were under Simon Davey, now things are to change under robins.
He was never your player anyway, im sure he would rather play at oakwell than shitmoat

irishcontingent

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on May 13, 2010, 12:48:38 pm by irishcontingent »
The problem as i see it, is the messages convayed to us supporters from JR via Gartom.
After the \"Mouthwatering\" of season before last, toward back end of the season just ended Gareth conveyed a similar message from JR, hinting that this close season certain signings would be brought in which i think Gareth described as \"interesting\".
Im sure each and everyone on here thought that one would be JS, almost everyone will have hoped one would be BS, and a couple more \"Surprises\".
Well JS has gone, looks like BS will go elsewhere, and one of the surprises would appear to be the departure of one of our most consistant performers.
I dont doubt for one moment that The \"Board\" and management have many players in mind for various positions, but it appears that irrespective of the increased finances coming to the club, that once more DRFC revert to Aldi and netto shopping, instead of Tesco and Asda.

I really dont know what \"saying\" to apply to DRFC. \"Speculate to accumulate\" would be nice, but i think a SOD one seems appropriate \"If you stand still you go backward\".

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on May 13, 2010, 12:59:06 pm by CusworthRovers »
By that analogy Mr Contingent  ;) we do shop at Aldi. In this League we have shopped there for the last 2 seasons and will continue to shop there for the next one at least.

Like I said, once you get used to that fact. The pains are more bearable.

I don't think we have stood still neither, and we have progressed nicely, even when shopping at Aldi

TinyPortal © 2005-2012