Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:10:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Are we just too slow  (Read 3887 times)

Rovin Reporter

Are we just too slow
« on May 12, 2010, 12:45:02 pm by Rovin Reporter »
where getting players in are concerned, Sharpe is a doubt Shackle is gone , i suppose 1 out of 2 is not bad if we can get Sharpe , i hope SO'D is positive, because i hate this time of year. :(

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Re:Are we just too slow
« Reply #1 on May 12, 2010, 12:48:44 pm by 5minstogo »
I think the problem is we just don't know what SOD and JR have got planned.

Its hard to stay positive when you see good players going elsewhere but I guess we have to wait and see what happens.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 12, 2010, 01:02:10 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
id bet sod and jr have other cb's lined up that are smaller fee's, no fees or less wages.. that are just as good, so just because we have missed out on shacks isnt the be all and end all, theres loads of players out there that could do a great job for us at a shade of the price!

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 12, 2010, 01:10:45 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Rovin Reporter wrote:
(Are we just too slow)...where getting players in are concerned

In a word.....Yes.

awsworth_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 12, 2010, 01:22:38 pm by awsworth_rover »
Arsenal Of The North wrote:
id bet sod and jr have other cb's lined up that are smaller fee's, no fees or less wages.. that are just as good, so just because we have missed out on shacks isnt the be all and end all, theres loads of players out there that could do a great job for us at a shade of the price!

Yeah cos there are loads of players better than shacks at the shade of the price!!!!!! Love your optimism, but i cant think of any....

awsworth_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 12, 2010, 01:28:25 pm by awsworth_rover »
I dont think he is as good as shack in all honesty. Yes a improvement to the current squad we have, but not as solid and dominating as shack is

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 12, 2010, 01:33:08 pm by bobjimwilly »
It's Billy Sharp by the way  ;)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 12, 2010, 01:58:47 pm by steve@dcfd »
Elliot Ward?

He may not be better than Shackell, but he's equally as good - and would come on a free transfer as well!
Its not the transfer fee that costs its wages therefore like last year can we afford to pay answer no.

We will hopefully sign potential at wages we can afford and try and turn them into Championship players. Will we sign players to get us in the playoffs, players who can score goals at this level and defenders who can keep clean sheets then I doubt. We did not last year apart from Oster, so emergency loans again.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 12, 2010, 02:15:37 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm sorry but Ward is not as good as Shackell. Don't get me wrong, I like him and hope he signs for us but it is settling for second best now. Shackell never put a foot wrong for us, he's one of the best defenders in this division. Whoever said it is hard to be optimistic is right, we keep things so hushed up that we just don't know what'll happen. I don't want another summer of complete quiet whilst all our targets go off elsewhere and we sign some free transfers & loans in the last moment.

Admittedly the late signings of Oster & Fortune proved good but I don't want us building a team of different loanees every season (i.e. Sharp, Shackell, Gillett, JET, Mutch) and having to start completely fresh every year because all of those players find different clubs. It isn't healthy and doesn't promote stability at all.

Of course it is very early days yet but to see one of our top priorities fall away and join Barnsley of all clubs is very worrying.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 12, 2010, 02:44:37 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
It's interesting that ol' red nose at Old Trafford has a habit of tying up his deals very, very early. Experience has obviously told him that this is the best way to insure he gets the transfer targets he wants. This advice seems to be have been passed on to red nose jr at Preston too.

One advantage of being a small club should be that we should be able to reach decisions quicker than bigger clubs.

Not much you can do though if players and agents want to delay a deal apart from issuing a early final deadline for agreement and then you maybe risk losing out long term.

As to the Sharp situation, the longer it goes without him signing, the greater the chance of him buggering off elsewhere. Shackell to some extent was off the radar. Sharp certainly isn't. If we stand any chance of getting him in, I would have thought we need it tying up very, very soon whilst other clubs are dealing with their budgets and agents have not had the chance to get their snouts in other troughs.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 12, 2010, 03:56:41 pm by Wellred »
and not forgetting we haven't signed Oster yet!!!!

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 12, 2010, 04:11:17 pm by eastender »
This is a massive wakey wakey to all the deluded on here who seem to think that no player will choose Barnsley over Rovers,get real money is god in the football world. :(
Seriously p#ssed off as i'm sure Shackell would have been one off the player's JR was looking to bring in,i bet he's seething at this news. :(  :(  :(.

Without some positives vibes coming from DRFC pretty soon i'm afraid the trickle of season tickets will dry up all together.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 12, 2010, 04:16:20 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
RoversAlias wrote:
I'm sorry but Ward is not as good as Shackell. Don't get me wrong, I like him and hope he signs for us but it is settling for second best now. Shackell never put a foot wrong for us, he's one of the best defenders in this division. Whoever said it is hard to be optimistic is right, we keep things so hushed up that we just don't know what'll happen. I don't want another summer of complete quiet whilst all our targets go off elsewhere and we sign some free transfers & loans in the last moment.

Admittedly the late signings of Oster & Fortune proved good but I don't want us building a team of different loanees every season (i.e. Sharp, Shackell, Gillett, JET, Mutch) and having to start completely fresh every year because all of those players find different clubs. It isn't healthy and doesn't promote stability at all.

Of course it is very early days yet but to see one of our top priorities fall away and join Barnsley of all clubs is very worrying.

Of course, all of the above / goings on, isnt condusive to a Club tyring to sell extra season tickets either, or turning the head of the more casual fan.

When people, like our lass' dad, see Rovers unable to keep hold of their better players, see more going out than coming in, and the quality coming in not being on the same level, I have no chance of convincing him to come to anything other than the odd game here and there.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 12, 2010, 04:20:14 pm by steve@dcfd »
eastender wrote:
This is a massive wakey wakey to all the deluded on here who seem to think that no player will choose Barnsley over Rovers,get real money is god in the football world. :(
Seriously p#ssed off as i'm sure Shackell would have been one off the player's JR was looking to bring in,i bet he's seething at this news. :(  :(  :(.

Without some positives vibes coming from DRFC pretty soon i'm afraid the trickle of season tickets will dry up all together.

But Sean has said we could not afford the transfer feeof £500,000 although we were interested in signing him. If JR and his cohorts had not made the money availble then how can he be seething.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 12, 2010, 04:25:37 pm by Wellred »
steve@dcfd wrote:
eastender wrote:

But Sean has said we could not afford the transfer feeof £500,000 although we were interested in signing him. If JR and his cohorts had not made the money availble then how can he be seething.

Of course he can be seething. He is also probably totally frustrated that he isn't being given the tools to do his job.
It just shows what a club in a similar situation to ours can do with a bit of investment.
One who maybe just be playing in the premiership next season.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 12, 2010, 04:35:30 pm by steve@dcfd »
Wellred wrote:
steve@dcfd wrote:
eastender wrote:

Of course he can be seething. He is also probably totally frustrated that he isn't being given the tools to do his job.
It just shows what a club in a similar situation to ours can do with a bit of investment.
One who maybe just be playing in the premiership next season.

Quote said :-JR was looking to bring in,i bet he's seething at this news.

So he sayingt JR was seething !!!! .

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 12, 2010, 04:39:48 pm by eastender »
steve@dcfd wrote:
eastender wrote:

But Sean has said we could not afford the transfer fee of £500,000 although we were interested in signing him. If JR and his cohorts had not made the money availble then how can he be seething.

Blackpool = 500k = Charlie Adam = play offs = Possible Prem = 100 million .

Ambition, speculate, accumulate it's a must ,even if Blackpool fall short i bet the've got there money back via the play off money.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 12, 2010, 04:56:25 pm by bedale rover »
eastender wrote:
steve@dcfd wrote:
eastender wrote:

But Sean has said we could not afford the transfer fee of £500,000 although we were interested in signing him. If JR and his cohorts had not made the money availble then how can he be seething.

Blackpool = 500k = Charlie Adam = play offs = Possible Prem = 100 million .

Ambition, speculate, accumulate it's a must ,even if Blackpool fall short i bet the've got there money back via the play off money.

but blackpool also signed brett ormerod from preston (who wasnt wanted) baptiste from mansfield taylor fletcher from uddersfield
as well as dobbie campbell colman and JET on loan deals

in other words they have done virtually exactly what we have done with cast offs and loans apart from charlie adam

so as another thread says we can do a blackpool

its not just about spending money its about the right players in the right team

lets get real

just because we missed one target doesnt mean we will miss them all

MattyDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 12, 2010, 05:17:49 pm by MattyDRFC »
Wellred wrote:
and not forgetting we haven't signed Oster yet!!!!

heard a rumour that Oster has been offered a contract from Sheffield United.

Rovin Reporter

« Reply #19 on May 12, 2010, 06:44:40 pm by Rovin Reporter »
Hi Billy are you ok mate!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012