Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:05:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Steve Brooker Position  (Read 3939 times)

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
The Steve Brooker Position
« on July 22, 2010, 10:32:12 pm by CusworthRovers »
Now with all this talk of Plan B's oh, oh, oh, oooooooh, formations, Billy, etc.

Going on what Sean and others within the club are saying, it seems Brooker is looking really good, like really good by all accounts.

The question is, should we have Billy, Brooker, Copps and Hayts all fit and on top of their game, whats the guy gunna do?

1. It's clearly got to be Billy up front.

2. Does he play with 2 strikers? He would surprise me if he did.

3. Does he revert to form and stick Brooker on the left wing. Seems an option to me.

4. By doing 3, does that mean we would lose the creative link man like Copps behind the striker or the hard working link man like Hayts.

5. If 3 applies ie Billy and Brooker on top form, which if he go's with it, would mean having a certain type of midfield formation. What would that be?

decisions, decisions, options, options............can only be good for DRFC

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re:The Steve Brooker Position
« Reply #1 on July 22, 2010, 10:39:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
CusworthRovers wrote:

At the risk of reverting to type, I'd point out that we had lots of options in Autumn 2008, and it took us 20 fruitless matches to figure out what the best one was.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 22, 2010, 10:52:36 pm by CusworthRovers »
Yep, he found the fab 4 in midfield and Copps' role, which caused us to be more creative, move the ball forward quicker and able to create more chances for any striker, without also reverting to type.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 22, 2010, 10:57:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
CusworthRovers wrote:
Yep, he found the fab 4 in midfield and Copps' role, which caused us to be more creative, move the ball forward quicker and able to create more chances for any striker, without also reverting to type.

Any striker? I wonder why Gareth Taylor, Lewis Guy, James Hayter and JJ couldn't finish them off then?

OK...Stop it there....

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 22, 2010, 11:08:37 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Moving the ball at pace is the key to our success.

It could work the other way around as we know Billy will work his socks off chasing lost causes etc, so he could work the back line from side to side while Brooker, stays more central dropping in to midfeid to link up, and then getting in to the box etc.

The options are endless. Ideally we need Oster's more direct play, creating holes, whilst Stock orchestrates from the anchor.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 22, 2010, 11:09:34 pm by Savvy »
I'm just hoping that he's looking that good that he can shut some of the gobshites that were on here last season writing him off as a crock of shit and a waste of money. I thought he was retiring from the game at the end of the season? pfft!!!

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 22, 2010, 11:14:53 pm by coventryrover »
Is anyone else really really looking forward to the beast that is Mr Brooker terrifying championship defences?  God I am.

MIght have a player to rival Animal!!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 22, 2010, 11:18:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
He's not that bad !

although the Watford defender who got dumped over the advertising boards might agree with you !!

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 22, 2010, 11:21:01 pm by coventryrover »
Hey dont diss Animal or I'll have ya!

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 22, 2010, 11:24:59 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Options, that's what any manager needs, as you alluded to Cusworth.

Billy is 'yer starter for 10' (or 11), then let's permutate & postulate...but never procrastinate or prevaricate.

If the 'drawbridge' on pre season signings were to be hauled up as of now (with the hope that Oster & Chambo were fit to be considered to play), don't be disheartened 'brothers'.

With SOD at the helm & JR in the 'engine room', we'll do ok..ney, better than that, by the end of the season there'll be clubs in our wake that'll take the wind out of their sales, 'blow' us onward, and might just heed our course onto the Promised Land.

This be Captain Redwine bidding ye all farewell & G'Nite.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 22, 2010, 11:37:11 pm by CusworthRovers »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
CusworthRovers wrote:

Any striker? I wonder why Gareth Taylor, Lewis Guy, James Hayter and JJ couldn't finish them off then?

Cos they never had that supply line of that midfield 4 plus Copps in their roles.

Now let's stop it there

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 22, 2010, 11:44:45 pm by PDX_Rover »
What about Brooker and Sharp?  The next Big Bren/Kitch combo?

LOOOOOK OUT!

Curious Orange

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 23, 2010, 01:40:59 am by Curious Orange »
Does Billy play well with a big man alongside him? He's been a far more prolific scorer for us (without the big man) than he was at the Blunts (where I presume he partnered a target man). I only ask as I'm not sure what role Sheff Utd deployed him in.

It's pretty obvious the team has to be built around our first million pound man.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 23, 2010, 08:05:53 am by Alan Southstand »
If indeed Steve Brooker does stay fit and available for selection, then I see him as an impact player, coming off the bench, for most of the season. There may be games when we'll need to call on him to start, but I believe Billy will always be our No.1 option up top.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 23, 2010, 09:04:00 am by CusworthRovers »
Hay Orange, Hay Orange

Didn't he have some big fella at Scunny for some of the games and still banged them in......Torpey ?

During Seans reign there have been times when we have looked vulnerable to power and size or physical teams. At this moment of typing we look a tad like that now. This is why we need that Shack/Mills type. It might be that Brooker is utilised simply because he gives us more physicality. I think with the Shack/Mills signing/loanee, plus a further option of sticking Brooker on, plus Martis plus Friend plus JOC......then the physical side may not be as apparent.

paul5857

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 23, 2010, 10:09:10 am by paul5857 »
it will be good to see copp's playing behind billy or any of the strikers for that matter, when copp's is on form he's good for running at the defence and getting to the edge of the box and getting the ball in, if anyone can get on the end of these then there is sure to be some goals, lets not forget the other players who are also capable of getting the ball in the back of the net, just hope we dont lose the football that we have been creating over the last few seasons by always looking to feed billy the ball wether it be long or the short ball, teams will be looking to keep billy quiet as he is a worry, hopefull that will give the other lads a chance to make a mark too !!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 23, 2010, 01:21:42 pm by RobTheRover »
Isnt this the Steve Brooker position?

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 23, 2010, 01:44:30 pm by bradford exile »
CusworthRovers wrote:

2. Does he play with 2 strikers? He would surprise me if he did.

Two strikers............we'd be a match for anybody  

:woohoo:

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 23, 2010, 10:09:28 pm by Nudga »
RobTheRover wrote:
Isnt this the Steve Brooker position?

Lovely, two spunky toes on the right foot and dog shit on the trainer on the left foot.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 24, 2010, 12:11:44 am by RobTheRover »
PMSL!

I'd missed the dog muck!

neil grainger

« Reply #20 on July 24, 2010, 12:13:42 am by neil grainger »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
CusworthRovers wrote:

At the risk of reverting to type, I'd point out that we had lots of options in Autumn 2008, and it took us 20 fruitless matches to figure out what the best one was.

For God's sake BST, I was as big a fan of Heffs as you were, but we now have Billy.

Let's look forward....to the Promised Land.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 24, 2010, 12:14:43 am by BillyStubbsTears »
It's not dog shit. She just went to the toilet and stepped in the log that the senile 90 year old lass in the next bed had left on the floor.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012