Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:44:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Joma South West Challenge  (Read 1821 times)

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
Joma South West Challenge
« on July 23, 2010, 07:14:27 am by Dr Fundlekrotch »
Just been looking at the stats for the tournament and all I get on Google are links to reports of managers of different clubs blasting the organisers for the substitutes rule.  It seems that Rovers didn't just fail to read the rules before entering and probably can't be blamed.  There is a hint that the rules were changed late on.  Graham Turner at Shrewsbury has also said that he wouldn't have entered if the substitutes rule was known beforehand.

The trophy seems incrdibly badly organised.  It was won by Luton last year because Grimsby withdrew after reaching the final.  In their place, the organisers invited the team that finished bottom of Grimsby's group, a local team, who subsequently got stuffed by Luton.

I did read about some controversy the year before, but I've forgotten what it was now.  Christ...3 years to fine-tune and still its a disaster.  What price the tournament having high quality entrants next year?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRNaith

• VSC Member
Re:Joma South West Challenge
« Reply #1 on July 23, 2010, 07:17:53 am by DRNaith »
I thought that blackpool had won it last (pre)season?

Dr Fundlekrotch

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 23, 2010, 08:36:05 am by Dr Fundlekrotch »
Eastleigh won it in 2008 and Luton in 2009.  Blackpool finished 2nd to Rushden in their group last year (losing to Rushden on penalties)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 23, 2010, 03:55:35 pm by The Red Baron »
Far be it for me to defend them, but I think the FA's supposed role in this is a red herring. Next weekend the Emirates Cup will be played involving Arsenal and three other top clubs. That competition will be sanctioned by the FA and will be officiated by Premier League refs but you can bet your bottom dollar that more than three subs will be allowed. (If they weren't then the clubs involved would withdraw pdq)

If the organisers went and asked the FA how many subs should be permitted they would probably say three. If the organisers didn't bother to ask, and allowed as many as they thought fit, then the FA would not get involved. The blame lies squarely at the door of the organisers, and having made a rule they lack the bottle to enforce it. Since that would mean slinging Blackpool out on their ears, and kissing goodbye to the chance of a decent crowd at the final, there's no way they will do that.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 23, 2010, 07:04:33 pm by Branton Rover »
The FA or F-UP as I call them

TinyPortal © 2005-2012