Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:17:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Longest Journeys  (Read 2829 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Longest Journeys
« on January 16, 2012, 03:36:54 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
What's yours then?  Just had a 7.5 hour drive to work, stuck on the M62.  Not good at all, though I survived running out of petrol.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Longest Journeys
« Reply #1 on January 16, 2012, 05:19:02 pm by Bentley Bullet »
It once took me 11 hours to drive to Cornwall due to traffic on the A30. That's longer than it takes to fly to Florida!

Mind you a journey I did that seemed even longer than that was returning back to Donny from Barnsley when we lost 4-1 the other year!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 16, 2012, 05:21:35 pm by Filo »
JPT final at Cardiff, took 7 hours to get back to Donny!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 16, 2012, 05:24:38 pm by Filo »
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=212922
What's yours then?  Just had a 7.5 hour drive to work, stuck on the M62.  Not good at all, though I survived running out of petrol.

I`ve never understood that M62, it seems that everyone that lives in Manchester works in Leeds and everyone that lives in Leeds works in Manchester, a nightmare journey during the rush hour period!

bellevuebulgar

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 16, 2012, 05:45:12 pm by bellevuebulgar »
7.5 hrs M62, 7+hrs fm Cardiff .... I had a car like that once!! :byebye

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 16, 2012, 07:36:05 pm by glosterred »
Bergen to Bardafoss in Norway - Series 3 landrover - 4 days! Knackered by the time I got there, 48 hours later the return journey!

:scarf:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 16, 2012, 07:40:51 pm by Filo »
Stainforth to Lloret, Spain 1976 Ford Cortina Mk 3 towing a Monza caravan, 3 days it took my dad to drive their, probably longest 3 days of my life, bored to death in the pre hand held games age!

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 16, 2012, 11:05:13 pm by Sheepskin Stu »
Auckland to Wellington in a 1993 Ford Telstar. It took nine hours. Seven of those hours were spent jockeying for road position with a gentleman who ended up catching the same ferry as me. Nice chap too.

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 16, 2012, 11:22:08 pm by Capmeister »
36hrs on a Greyhound bus from Texas to New York, then flight to Heathrow followed by 4hrs on National coach to Shakey Wakey. It was the thought of a pint of Tetley's in the Black Rock that kept me going! And England didnt even make USA '94!

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 16, 2012, 11:22:14 pm by German Rover »
Monchengladbach to Rome, three days, we got lost and at one point were heading for marseilles. A week off in Germany for a group of squaddies is a dangerous thing. On the same weekend a mate of mine got thrown out of Toulon trying to drive to Barcelona!

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 16, 2012, 11:45:46 pm by Pintolager »
Aviemore back to Doncaster back in about 1980, a family camping holiday for Christmas in Aviemore. Set off home about 3 in the afternoon and we ended up taking a wrong turn and started heading towards Fort William, driving along and it was snowing, kept going without turning back, thinking we could get onto another road that will have us heading south. Anyway, the snow got heavier and it started drifting from the sides of the road till we couldn't go any further. We ended up stuck overnight in 3 foot of snow until one of the locals phoned for someone to clear the snow with a plough. We ended up getting back home at about 6 the following evening.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 16, 2012, 11:54:26 pm by RobTheRover »
Keepmoat to Cusworth, any match day you like if you park in Toys R US.  Takes about a week.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 17, 2012, 06:29:03 am by Donnywolf »
Took me 7 house plus tp get to Bristol City on opening dat a few Seasons back with the last 20 miles taking half that time

I got in the Ground to see the Fourth Official showing the added time for the first half

(did I miss owt)

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 17, 2012, 07:45:33 am by Berkshire Rover »
Orlando to heathrow, two and a half days, flew from random to new York, massive power outage in the whole of the NE US, spent two nights in airport terminals, then had to fly to Chicago to get a flight to Heathrow got back about midnight and to cap it all, they'd closed 2 lanes of the M4 for roadworks so that took an hour longer than it should have done!  :P

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 17, 2012, 12:51:40 pm by Highland Rover »
Dubai-Amsterdam-Humberside flights , car to Donny , coach to evening game at Swansea !!

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 17, 2012, 01:55:47 pm by jucyberry »
Heacham to Leeds on the train..furthest I've ever been..................I'm sooo well traveled....NOT!

Mind you,  quality over quantity, coming to Yorkshire is fine for me.. :)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 17, 2012, 03:43:40 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Quote from: \"Filo\" post=212958
Quote from: \"big fat yorkshire pudding\" post=212922

I`ve never understood that M62, it seems that everyone that lives in Manchester works in Leeds and everyone that lives in Leeds works in Manchester, a nightmare journey during the rush hour period!

It is a nightmare.  I work in Normanton so it's not too bad, but since the roadworks sprung up near Leeds the queue tends to start before the Normanton junction these days.  It's a nightmare when I have to go to the Manchester office, horrible trip.

Mark DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 17, 2012, 05:51:27 pm by Mark DRFC »
A couple of years ago we drove from Sprotbrough to corfu via a ferry from venice, it took 3 days to get to venice taking it steady, on the way back we missed the ferry to venice, we had to cross from corfu to greece then drive back via albania,montenegro,bosnia,croatia,slovenia, austria, germany, luxembourg, netherlands then down to calais and over the chanel and back home, the return trip took 4 days....

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 17, 2012, 05:55:19 pm by Berkshire Rover »
Quote from: \"Mark DRFC\" post=213152
A couple of years ago we drove from Sprotbrough to corfu via a ferry from venice, it took 3 days to get to venice taking it steady, on the way back we missed the ferry to venice, we had to cross from corfu to greece then drive back via albania,montenegro,bosnia,croatia,slovenia, austria, germany, luxembourg, netherlands then down to calais and over the chanel and back home, the return trip took 4 days....

The winner? Unless of course you know different!

Mark DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 17, 2012, 06:06:31 pm by Mark DRFC »
The best bit about it was, we were in an appartment, and when i say we missed the ferry we were 24 hrs late! the appartment owners didnt say anything so we basically got an extra night for free :)

I have to say driving through thoes countries certainly opened my eyes!

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 20, 2012, 03:21:54 pm by Old Popsider »
Many moons ago after serving 6 months in Belize, looking forward to flight on an RAF VC10 back to dear old Blighty.

Come the day to fly - no VC10 to come home in. Was a bloody Hercules instead!! Oh no!!!

After take off managed to string up a hammock between some very large packing crates containing aircraft 'stores' - in other words bombs and rockets! The Loadmaster wasn't too impressed at seeing hooks being screwed into the packing cases. Long slow flight as far as Washington DC. Coach to Washington DC Hilton for overnight stay - oh the hardship!! Then early take off next morning for UK via Gander/Goose Bay and Iceland, landing at RAF Lyneham many many hours later.

The transport from Lyneham to Brize Norton was then delayed 2 hrs by roadworks. Joy of joys. Normally a very quick road journey between the 2 bases. Got to Brize Norton about midnight. Early next morning transport to Oxford then train to Donny - which arrived 1 hour late due to an earlier broken down train on the outskirts of Donny!!

All was smoothed away after a good owd pub crawl round the Market Place and other nefarious places in Donny!!

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 02, 2012, 03:56:55 pm by Spud »
And the winner of the craziest idea for a family holiday...
Camping in Aviemore at christmas? Someone has a very wicked sense of humour :D Good work !!!

Quote from: \"Pintolager\" post=213046
Aviemore back to Doncaster back in about 1980, a family camping holiday for Christmas in Aviemore. Set off home about 3 in the afternoon and we ended up taking a wrong turn and started heading towards Fort William, driving along and it was snowing, kept going without turning back, thinking we could get onto another road that will have us heading south. Anyway, the snow got heavier and it started drifting from the sides of the road till we couldn't go any further. We ended up stuck overnight in 3 foot of snow until one of the locals phoned for someone to clear the snow with a plough. We ended up getting back home at about 6 the following evening.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 02, 2012, 11:50:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
46 hours on a train from Munich to Athens in 40 degree heat with no air con, 3 of us sharing a compartment with three obese, flatulent, malodorous Serbians in 1986. Whatever they went to war over a few years later, I doubt it was Imperial Leather and Lynx. Oh aye. And the water to flush the shitter ran out before we'd got to Austria.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 03, 2012, 09:37:27 am by CusworthRovers »
Right then

The journey to manhood. About 28yrs for me to properly get there

fluids, solids, crawl, walk, talk, school, football, balls dropped, body hair, beer, girls, leave home, polytechnic, work, own home, marriage, kids, 2nd marriage, more kids, more homes, ear hair

cas rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 03, 2012, 01:30:12 pm by cas rover »
Donny to Barnsley and back
got snowed in for 4 days
:chair: :chair:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012