Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:51:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Rugby  (Read 5205 times)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: The Rugby
« Reply #30 on February 09, 2015, 01:36:32 pm by RobTheRover »
Fishing

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 09, 2015, 01:45:57 pm by Filo »
Fishing

I'll have you know fishing is a highly skilled sport!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on February 09, 2015, 08:48:38 pm by Donnywolf »
Is there a sport that requires less skill? I say that having played a lot of them. 

That is a damn GOOD question !

I have nothing to offer except maybe Athletics of certain types Swimming and maybe Cycle Racing ?

I cant see where the skill element comes into say 100 metres in a Pool or on a Track ? Fitness - dedication - speed all needed in abundance and of course I fully acknowledge the participants for that -  but skill - I don't see it ?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 09, 2015, 08:55:16 pm by Donnywolf »
Fishing

Objection your Honour - Highly skilful - but the hardest bit is capturing the "prize on film

Check this out - its a right laugh http://www.thorpe-le-vale.co.uk/#!__news

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 09, 2015, 09:22:27 pm by Sprotyrover »
'Darts' that's a game of real skill😉

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 10, 2015, 12:24:39 am by coventryrover »
Fishing

Football.  All you have to do is kick a ball in a net.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 10, 2015, 03:11:23 am by NickDRFC »
Fishing is not a sport, it's a pastime.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 10, 2015, 07:32:24 am by RobTheRover »
It's actually a job

Apparently someone back in the mists of time thought it was fun. I went fishing twice as a kid. They were possibly the worst 2 days of my life.

Anyway,  any sport you can do whilst sitting on a hamper has to go on the list of nominations. 

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 10, 2015, 07:45:08 am by Filo »
Fishing is not a sport, it's a pastime.

Tell that to the winner of fishomania, or the winners of 1000's of open match's throught the country, or the winners of the National Championships and World Championships!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 10, 2015, 08:08:22 am by NickDRFC »
Sport in my mind involves:

a) a competitive element, and
b) physical exertion

That's how I see it. So yes, I would happily tell the winner of fishomania, the winners of 1000's of open match's throught (sic) the country, or the winners of the National Championships and World Champipnships that  I don't consider them sitting on their arses to be a sport!

I suppose it is competitive, in the same way that playing a game of bridge is a competition. Not a sport (for me at least) though!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 10, 2015, 08:18:48 am by Filo »
Sport in my mind involves:

a) a competitive element, and
b) physical exertion

That's how I see it. So yes, I would happily tell the winner of fishomania, the winners of 1000's of open match's throught (sic) the country, or the winners of the National Championships and World Champipnships that  I don't consider them sitting on their arses to be a sport!

I suppose it is competitive, in the same way that playing a game of bridge is a competition. Not a sport (for me at least) though!

Winning a match with over 40lb of Bleak requires a lot of physical effort, as does winning a match with 100lb of Chub or Barbel. You would n't catch me sat down once when fishing a match on the Trent!

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 10, 2015, 10:18:35 am by roversontheup »
Is there a sport that requires less skill? I say that having played a lot of them. 
That is a damn GOOD question !

I have nothing to offer except maybe Athletics of certain types Swimming and maybe Cycle Racing ?

I cant see where the skill element comes into say 100 metres in a Pool or on a Track ? Fitness - dedication - speed all needed in abundance and of course I fully acknowledge the participants for that -  but skill - I don't see it ?

Swimming?!!    I used to think the same and also thought I was a decent swimmer.  Triathlete friend of mine used to go on and on about how technical swimming was and how difficult if you didn't swim very regularly.  I couldn't understand what she was going on about so I joined her and a few of her triathlete pals in swimming training.  Wow....much more to it than I ever realised. It's probably as technical as golf in that so many small elements all have to be lined up perfectly to do it efficiently and competitively. 

So no you can't put swimming into the skill less group!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on February 10, 2015, 11:13:22 am by GazLaz »
I think snooker is very hard. It's unbelievable how easy the top players make it look.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 10, 2015, 02:36:54 pm by BobG »
Agree with that Gaz, but hey. Nick! Don't underestimate bridge. I play it - quite a lot in years gone by. It's bloody tough, needs unbelievable skill and is frighteningly competitive. Of course,  as I'm sat on my arse all day it probably is a pastime!

Cheers

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012