Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 01:44:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Announcement postponed  (Read 12379 times)

Wellred

• Forum Member
Re: Announcement postponed
« Reply #90 on June 14, 2014, 04:12:17 am by Wellred »
DBR, all the polls would suggest otherwise. For the record this is the craziest idea I have ever heard !
Replacing perhaps the strongest financial back-up , the best organisational capabilities and levels of fan engagement for the "past" with a lot less money and security ,.........does not inspire me.
I like what I hear about LT and 1D but can someone remind me what the average lifespan of a boy band is please ? 

I think we're both from the same camp Hoola. I believe the majority of Rovers fans are concerned about the genuine nature and strength of JR's latest bid. However, I have no reason to believe LT's motives are anything but honourable and if a local lad wants to fund the club then great.

Now, after TB, DW etc have been pilloried, who can blame them for saying OK, it's yours, over to you. If JR and co f*ck up with this latest bid, where does that leave us?

I want JR to have the opportunity to show he was right all along and he can take us further than we've been before. For 3 years now, he's not been the main man but thinks DRFC is nothing without him.  Over to you John.

So reading between the lines DBR you would be delighted if JR took over the club and failed?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on June 14, 2014, 08:52:46 am by bobjimwilly »
How on earth did you deduce that from Baz's post Wellred? Did you even read the last para?

I want JR to have the opportunity to show he was right all along and he can take us further than we've been before

Tokyos Boot

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on June 14, 2014, 09:23:37 am by Tokyos Boot »
I think most of us want it to go through. The thought of it not just puts us in a state of flux. If it doesn't JR will lose more credibility with 2 takeover attempts. The alternative is a safe approach IF TB and DW are generous enough to pick up the slack. But they could turn round and say to JR, your mess, you sort it out.

DBR, all the polls would suggest otherwise. For the record this is the craziest idea I have ever heard !
Replacing perhaps the strongest financial back-up , the best organisational capabilities and levels of fan engagement for the "past" with a lot less money and security ,.........does not inspire me.
I like what I hear about LT and 1D but can someone remind me what the average lifespan of a boy band is please ? 
I await the usual slagging off for my opinion.. .... :chair:

Its been said a million times before but how on earth do you deduce that the polls on this forum, for one particularly strongly opinionated and vocal minority of rovers supports, represents the majority?

A place where opinions are censored and polls are doctored!

It is my (much berated) opinion that if you want to gauge a true societal reflection, facebook and its huge demographic, and the number of people who post on the DRFC page on there is far more significant, and far more pro takeover.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on June 14, 2014, 09:29:58 am by River Don »
Facebook does have a huge demographic Tokyo.

I'm not sure the DRFC page does.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: (No subject)
« Reply #94 on June 14, 2014, 09:30:36 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Course I want him to succeed!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on June 14, 2014, 09:44:46 am by The Red Baron »
Well, I certainly don't want JR to fail (assuming the takeover goes through, of course) because if he does we'll end up where we were in the 90s. A club with no money and an ever-decreasing number of fans kicking about the lower reaches of the Football League with the threat of Administration or worse looming all the time.

At the moment my most pressing concern is that matters get sorted asap so we don't waste next season.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on June 14, 2014, 09:50:49 am by Filo »
I think most of us want it to go through. The thought of it not just puts us in a state of flux. If it doesn't JR will lose more credibility with 2 takeover attempts. The alternative is a safe approach IF TB and DW are generous enough to pick up the slack. But they could turn round and say to JR, your mess, you sort it out.

Its been said a million times before but how on earth do you deduce that the polls on this forum, for one particularly strongly opinionated and vocal minority of rovers supports, represents the majority?

It is my (much berated) opinion that if you want to gauge a true societal reflection, facebook and its huge demographic, and the number of people who post on the DRFC page on there is far more significant, and far more pro takeover.

I'm not sure how many times we have to repeat this but there is NO censorship of opinions, it's a myth peddled by you, your brother and a couple of other posters that seem to delight in coming on here to stir up ill feeling towards the forum that you yourselves use on a regular basis

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on June 14, 2014, 09:58:02 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
And to clarify. I polled for all 4, which was the top vote. In reality it looks unlikely that will ever happen. I'm thinking about the alternative. If this doesn't go through, will TB & co be allowed to get on with it or, will there be another bid around the corner? We can't be having this uncertainty season after season.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on June 14, 2014, 09:59:48 am by coventryrover »
Oh for the days we had to wait til Thursdays for the FP to provide us with Rovers news.  Sometimes the t'interweb has alot to answer for

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on June 14, 2014, 10:07:53 am by The Red Baron »
If this doesn't go through, will TB & co be allowed to get on with it or, will there be another bid around the corner? We can't be having this uncertainty season after season.

That's a concern for me, Baz. If this falls through then I'm sure John will be back sooner or later once he finds another partner.

BTW I don't think it WILL fall through, but until the issues are sorted out and contracts are signed, nothing is certain.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on June 14, 2014, 10:15:23 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
There should be a list of phrases that should never be used in connection with Rovers. Right at the top "Done Deal".

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on June 14, 2014, 10:26:11 am by since-1969 »
DRFC - Dickov saying he's on top of his target list for next season , but surly this  delay could cost him his 1st choice. But my Q is can some please tell me ,how a person can be prevented from  spending HIS own money by buying into the Club purely on the basis of his face and images belong to another??? And how does his mug interfere with proceeding . The worlds gone mad and were all falling for it .

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on June 14, 2014, 10:44:18 am by The Red Baron »
DRFC - Dickov saying he's on top of his target list for next season , but surly this  delay could cost him his 1st choice. But my Q is can some please tell me ,how a person can be prevented from  spending HIS own money by buying into the Club purely on the basis of his face and images belong to another??? And how does his mug interfere with proceeding . The worlds gone mad and were all falling for it .

Two things:

1. I actually think Dickov should be allowed to sign players so long as they are within the budget agreed by the current board. If that couldn't be agreed by all parties involved in the negotiations then I think that is a great pity and will harm our chances of doing anything next season.

2. I don't think LT is being prevented from spending his money, but clearly there are issues about how he can be used to market the club. I don't understand what those issues are or how they have become a potential show-stopper, but I'm guessing that Louis is going to be a bit more than just a "sleeping partner" in all this.

drfc-steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on June 14, 2014, 10:52:32 am by drfc-steve »
It's pretty obvious what's going to happen TRB. The club are going to market the hell out of Louis Tomlinson in the hope of getting 1D fans to buy merchandise and attend games... Otherwise the issue over image rights wouldn't be dragging on do long.

It's the sole reason why I don't want the takeover.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on June 14, 2014, 10:57:54 am by The Red Baron »
It's pretty obvious what's going to happen TRB. The club are going to market the hell out of Louis Tomlinson in the hope of getting 1D fans to buy merchandise and attend games... Otherwise the issue over image rights wouldn't be dragging on do long.

It's the sole reason why I don't want the takeover.

I had thought that, Steve. I suppose I consider it the lesser of two evils, the alternative being some shady hedge fund or money man bankrolling the deal in return for their pound of flesh- whatever that might be!

I'm quite happy to carry on with Terry and Dick plus Gavin running things, but the status quo doesn't seem to be an option.

I just wish they'd get it sorted, one way or another.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on June 14, 2014, 11:30:50 am by wilts rover »
The status quo is actually three people owning the club - but only two people being involved in the day-to-day running of it, which is not going to work is it.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on June 14, 2014, 11:41:12 am by Alickismyhero »
The deal's not signed yet, I feel it will go through but it will take time.

I suppose I feel a little let down by Bramall because I didn't really want to see Ryan back.

On the surface of this deal it should be a good one because Bramall has always said he would only sell if it was good for the club and if it isn't a good one then Bramall's credability goes down the drain.

Ryan doesn't have the support he had in the past and I won't go in to detail why I think that is but his head is on the block if we fail next season.

What is failure?............. 7th in the league.

Is Ryan big enough to accept Club Doncaster concept?
Will Ryan keep GB in position?
Will GB want to stay long term?
Will Ryan come back with any more half baked ideas?

Ryan better get this one right or we will be in big trouble.

Loads of questions, we will know the answers soon IF the deal is signed.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on June 14, 2014, 11:50:39 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Do any of us know just how far 'image rights' stretch. I'm sure there's more to it than just his mug on a mug. Could it get to a point where we have to refer to him as "The artist formerly known as Louis Tomlinson."

drfc-steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on June 14, 2014, 12:24:31 pm by drfc-steve »
"The man in the hat".

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on June 14, 2014, 01:22:04 pm by roversdude »
Any sightings in Bawtry

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on June 14, 2014, 01:29:36 pm by coventryrover »
If LT gets the deal through I do not see whats wrong with marketting the hell out of him, it will be foolish not too.

More money in our coffers, 6500 crowds arent good enough on their own

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on June 14, 2014, 01:49:11 pm by since-1969 »
6500 crowds .... If LT does do the buizz they'll be queuing around the Keepmoat so I'm selling my seat to The first screaming little girl that can afford £500 per home game . Simples :-)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:55:24 pm by since-1969 »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on June 14, 2014, 02:34:04 pm by hoolahoop »

Polls don't read ok for you TB ? I'm told that the majority are ready for this T/O and in favour of it when reading supposedly more informed and representative fora than this .
Have you not yet realised that users of this forum come from all walks of life, have many political persuasions, are from different age groups, have followed our club for varying amounts of time.............................need I go on fella.
Look I like others can't stand 'four square' behind a yet unveiled plan of a takeover with 'grey' men presumably supporting it and prepared to plough c. £20-30 million just to get started let alone a 'push' for the Premiership.
There were 3 people involved in our recent successes not 1 ! I, like many others, know the sacrifice ALL 3 made to achieve for DRFC. What pisses me off royally is that one person wants to take ALL the credit for it. As much as IK admire JR, I am appalled by the way he seemingly wants all the accolades...............what about TB and DW did they do nowt ?
Supposedly they weren't fans like JR ........what a load of rubbish was their money worth less because of that or because they chose not to gob off on every occasion ?
I can't forgive JR for the behaviour at Barnsley or the lies re.SC. How can you and your mates are you mad or do you want to go back to the days when fan participation was at best meaningless ? Days when the organisational abilities of DRFC were poor at best.

I have no problem about the participation of LT in the club. He is fortunate enough to have the funds to help out JR financially but never at the level currently seen by the KM2 who have the financial clout of over £ 1/2 billion between them. Besides that , they have the expertise that allowed them to amass so much money between them by surrounding themselves with only the best management. Gavin Baldwin is such an example.

Perhaps I'm wrong and I have got this all wrong but at the end of the day I will fight to preserve everything that is good about my club whoever is in charge will you ?

Incidentally I too voted for all 4 but that is impossible due to the recent behaviour of JR. Now TB, DW and LT would be a proposition to savour............ :rtid:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:53:07 pm by hoolahoop »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on June 14, 2014, 03:03:28 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I really do think the LT effect on attendances will be minimal. LT fans probably know where he is every hour of the day so I can't see many turning up on the off chance. The shirt sales may continue to be reasonably successful but there's a limit. When the novelty wears off?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on June 14, 2014, 03:15:12 pm by Alickismyhero »

Polls don't read ok for you TB ? I'm told that the majority are ready for this T/O and in favour of it when reading supposedly more informed and representative fora than this .
Have you not yet realised that users of this forum come from all walks of life, have many political persuasions, are from different age groups, have followed our club for varying amounts of time.............................need I go on fella.
Look I like others can't stand 'four square' behind a yet unveiled plan of a takeover with 'grey' men presumably supporting it and prepared to plough c. £20-30 million just to get started let alone a 'push' for the Premiership.
There were 3 people involved in our recent successes not 1 ! I, like many others, know the sacrifice ALL 3 made to achieve for DRFC. What pisses me off royally is that one person wants to take ALL the credit for it. As much as IK admire JR, I am appalled by the way he seemingly wants all the accolades...............what about TB and DW did they do nowt ?
Supposedly they weren't fans like JR ........what a load of rubbish was their money worth less because of that or because they chose not to gob off on every occasion ?
I can't forgive JR for the behaviour at Barnsley or the lies re.SC. How can you and your mates are you mad or do you want to go back to the days when fan participation was at best meaningless ? Days when the organisational abilities of DRFC were poor at best.

I have no problem about the participation of LT in the club. He is fortunate enough to have the funds to help out JR financially but never at the level currently seen by the KM2 who have the financial clout of over £ 1/2 billion between them. Besides that , they have the expertise that allowed them to amass so much money between them by surrounding themselves with only the best management. Gavin Baldwin is such an example.

Perhaps I'm wrong and I have got this all wrong but at the end of the day I will fight to preserve everything that is good about my club whoever is in charge will you ?

Incidentally I too voted for all 4 but that is impossible due to the recent behaviour of JR. Now TB, DW and LT would be a proposition to savour............ :rtid:

Hools,

I can't disagree with anything you have said.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on June 14, 2014, 04:31:17 pm by GazLaz »
The difference between John and "KM2" is that he took the club when they had nothing going for them and were in the shit. Where were Terry and Dick then? They joined a successful ship and made it even more successful. I know who deserves most credit though and it's the man with the million dollar smile.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on June 14, 2014, 05:14:38 pm by hoolahoop »
The difference between John and "KM2" is that he took the club when they had nothing going for them and were in the shit. Where were Terry and Dick then? They joined a successful ship and made it even more successful. I know who deserves most credit though and it's the man with the million dollar smile.

Come on Gaz, no one is knocking the work that JR did but it doesn't mean you can ever demean the input of both TB & DW .
Who has made this club more professional more equipped to deal with matters at this level, to make us no longer a laughing stock.
You might go with the man with the "million dollar smile " and his yes men ; I'm going for the professionals with the discreet mouths and the billion dollar fortunes.
I'm looking to the future and will give all the credit for the distant past to John Ryan.
Which is it to be Gaz ?

The very fact that they weren't supposedly fans of the club merely enhances what they have done for our club doesn't it surely ?
Time and money (lots of it) invested in DRFC makes me so grateful. If they sell and sell conditionally it only means they want/wanted the best for the club and for the town where they made their fortunes ?
Are there only a few of us that see this ? :(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:32:32 pm by hoolahoop »

mattco

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on June 14, 2014, 05:59:00 pm by mattco »
Surely the image rights issue is that LT is part of a group and the difficulty is separating his individual image rights from those of 1D as a foursome. The club may not be allowed to market merchandise that relates to 1D rather than Louis himself.  It may not have much to do with football, but we are talking revenue streams.

Tokyos Boot

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on June 14, 2014, 07:21:25 pm by Tokyos Boot »

I pretty much agree with all you have said there hoola, bang on the mark.

I dont like the assumption, however, that the consesus opinion on here is the opinion of 'the fans', when more often than not it isnt! (that doesnt mean im pro or anti takeover, i feel how you do about it). Even if it isnt what i agree with as a standpoint id like to think a democratic opinion would be projected, recognised and argued for and against fairly, without (heres the key word) agenda.

Sometimes i dont think that happens on here, nor is the issue looked into by the vsc board as a result.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on June 15, 2014, 09:35:50 am by The Red Baron »
TB

I agree with you that opinion on here shouldn't be taken as being representative of Rovers fans as a whole. However, it does represent a cross-section of the opinion and for that reason the debates on here are worthy of attention- even if they all too often descend into acrimony and personal point-scoring.

I'm instinctively nervous about potential takeovers because I have bitter memories of one which was enormously damaging to the club. Even before that I've followed Rovers through periods of great instability when the very existence of the club was in danger. Recently we've had a time of success and boardroom stability and it concerns me that that time might be coming to an end. Others, of course, see only opportunities to take the club on to greater success. I hope the optimists are proved right, but I remain sceptical.

As for your point about the VSC Board- well, they are there to represent their members and to act in what they believe to be the best interests of the Trust. What they are not is answerable to this forum or the opinions expressed on it. My answer to those who question the direction of the VSC is always the same- join up, make your views heard and if you feel strongly enough put yourself forward for election to the Board. Whenever I go to an AGM there never seems to be much of a choice of candidates for election- a situation which I am sure disappoints the current Board members.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012