Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:15:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Goalie chants  (Read 2030 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Goalie chants
« on August 21, 2018, 04:15:11 pm by scawsby steve »
Some fans never seem to learn that if they constantly keep making derisory chants to a goalie, all they'll do is make him play better; it happened with Luke McCormick, and it happened on Saturday with Stephen Bywater.

People draw strength from adversity in all walks of life.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:17:19 pm by scawsby steve »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bollinger

• Forum Member
Re: Goalie chants
« Reply #1 on August 21, 2018, 04:20:50 pm by Bollinger »
I remember it working at Nene Park in the first league game there against Rushden & Diamonds. Their keeper let the crowd get to him, showed his disgust which only turned the volume up and across the second 45 minutes he absolutely fell apart.

But that was the Conference and probably a one-off, and I wouldn't expect many FL Keepers to care what was coming their way.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 21, 2018, 04:26:53 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Chants are useless in general, but in a tight ground, getting close and constantly telling them they have slippy fingers, the ball is greasy, etc etc definitely works  :evil:

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 21, 2018, 04:27:08 pm by scawsby steve »
I remember it working at Nene Park in the first league game there against Rushden & Diamonds. Their keeper let the crowd get to him, showed his disgust which only turned the volume up and across the second 45 minutes he absolutely fell apart.

But that was the Conference and probably a one-off, and I wouldn't expect many FL Keepers to care what was coming their way.

Was that the game when Duerden scored a hat-trick?.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 21, 2018, 04:31:43 pm by Bollinger »
That's the one.

I might be wrong but think one of the goals came from a dropped cross or a flap. As the game went on he couldn't get his hands on anything.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 21, 2018, 04:34:59 pm by scawsby steve »
That's the one.

I might be wrong but think one of the goals came from a dropped cross or a flap. As the game went on he couldn't get his hands on anything.

Was he about 6 foot 7 inches?.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 21, 2018, 04:39:59 pm by Bollinger »
Certainly tall enough. I'm sure he was called Gayle and I think he played for them in the cup game too.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 21, 2018, 04:42:52 pm by DaveDRFC »
Billy Turley was the Rushden keeper for years, don't know if it's him you're talking about though.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 21, 2018, 04:46:52 pm by Al4475 »
I was gonna say Billy turkey too! Lol - was gayle - mark gayle - played for crewe/walsall possibly too - and did we not take him on trial at some point as well?

All that may be clouded tho!

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 21, 2018, 04:47:31 pm by Branton Rover »
The Rushden keeper was Ian Feur who was an American he dad was a singer in the Jordanare’s they were Elvis’ backing group

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 21, 2018, 04:48:23 pm by Al4475 »
Ian feur rings a bell too.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 21, 2018, 04:51:39 pm by scawsby steve »
Certainly tall enough. I'm sure he was called Gayle and I think he played for them in the cup game too.

In the cup game, I seem to remember it was a black guy in goal.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 21, 2018, 04:52:05 pm by Bollinger »
I thought Feur arrived after Gayle later that season but you might be right. Anyway, whoever it was had  a Rovers fans induced 'mare!

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 21, 2018, 04:52:24 pm by GazLaz »
Some fans never seem to learn that if they constantly keep making derisory chants to a goalie, all they'll do is make him play better; it happened with Luke McCormick, and it happened on Saturday with Stephen Bywater.

Bywater didn’t play well. He had nothing but routine saves to make and his kicking was shocking.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 21, 2018, 04:57:43 pm by scawsby steve »

Bywater didn’t play well. He had nothing but routine saves to make and his kicking was shocking.

But he didn't make any errors Gaz, and he was catching corners and crosses cleanly, often under pressure. Anyway, where has the paedo thing come from?; is he supposed to be connected with that kind of thing?.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 21, 2018, 06:22:21 pm by drfchound »

But he didn't make any errors Gaz, and he was catching corners and crosses cleanly, often under pressure. Anyway, where has the paedo thing come from?; is he supposed to be connected with that kind of thing?.

The peado thing is just what the pricks in our crowd seem to want to shout out..
I have heard it at quite a few games now so obviously nothing in it.

As for trying to put keepers off it very rarely works, as has been said, they will have heard it all before.

However, I do remember one keeper being destroyed by the crowd getting on to him, Ross Etheridge.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 21, 2018, 10:49:20 pm by RedJ »

In fairness the corners and crosses weren't much cop. He's a steady if unspectacular keeper but there's always a clanger in him.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012