Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:52:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Atmosphere at England matches  (Read 2409 times)

Scooter

• VSC Member
Atmosphere at England matches
« on September 11, 2018, 11:50:34 pm by Scooter »
I’ve just got back home after going to the England match with my lad. We really enjoyed the occasion and the game but I have to say that I’m disappointed with the atmosphere. The group singing were at the opposite end of the ground. Where I was people were clapping in time but not singing. No one stood up to clap off a substitute. At the end of the game there was a brief round of applause but the majority of fans didn’t clap the players off - the just seemed to walk off in silence

There was a bit of noise when the Swiss keeper took a goal kick but only one person shouted “you shit bas**rd aah” - my 8 year old son!

Apart from the goal the only real excitement was when Ben Chilwell came on then the Leicester fans made themselves known

I’m thinking about trying to get tickets for the Croatia game. So my question to those of you who go regularly - is it always like this?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Atmosphere at England matches
« Reply #1 on September 11, 2018, 11:54:08 pm by RedJ »
I've been to a couple and it always seems to just be one section that makes a bit of noise, yeah. Everywhere else is a bit shit.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 12, 2018, 06:42:39 am by Padge_DRFC »
At Elland road it was good. Leicester are happy clappers don’t forget and put them things on seats to boost their normally dreadful atmosphere

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 12, 2018, 09:54:05 am by Scooter »
I’m glad it’s not just me that thinks that. I went to see England Women play Estonia at Notts County a couple of years ago and the atmosphere was better there.
I’ll see what it is like at wembley but I’m sure it will never compare to either the black bank or watching rovers away

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 12, 2018, 11:29:35 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Foreign tourists at Premier League games eh?

Where do you think the money comes from that underpins English football?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 12, 2018, 12:52:10 pm by silent majority »
I’ve just got back home after going to the England match with my lad. We really enjoyed the occasion and the game but I have to say that I’m disappointed with the atmosphere. The group singing were at the opposite end of the ground. Where I was people were clapping in time but not singing. No one stood up to clap off a substitute. At the end of the game there was a brief round of applause but the majority of fans didn’t clap the players off - the just seemed to walk off in silence

There was a bit of noise when the Swiss keeper took a goal kick but only one person shouted “you shit bas**rd aah” - my 8 year old son!

Apart from the goal the only real excitement was when Ben Chilwell came on then the Leicester fans made themselves known

I’m thinking about trying to get tickets for the Croatia game. So my question to those of you who go regularly - is it always like this?

England Fans members have a priority booking period and most regular England fans will buy in that period and will generally sit/stand in the same area. The band will also be there, hence why the singing came from just one part of the ground. The other areas will be made up of people who don't normally go to England games and the more there are of them the worse the atmosphere, just like last night.

The atmosphere at Elland Road for the Costa Rica game was good, not sure why exactly, but far better than Wembley. I wouldn't expect a great atmosphere for the Croatia game, but if their support travel in numbers it might be just what Wembley needs. Wembley has become a big tourist attraction and the tourists generally kill any atmosphere.

For most England fans, like myself, we just look forward to the away games. That's when the real atmosphere kicks in and why we keep doing it.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 12, 2018, 01:50:18 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
My first England game was at Wembley in 1984ish against Scotland. The atmosphere was like nothing I’d ever experienced before, mainly helped by there being thousands of very drunk Scotsmen around. I’ve been to see England intermittently since then and with the odd exception, the atmosphere has never hit those dizzy heights.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 12, 2018, 01:59:19 pm by coventryrover »
Scooter.  You didn't have a read car with two rovers stickers in the rear view mirror did you

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 12, 2018, 02:13:51 pm by dickos1 »
You have to take into account it was a friendly,  atmosphere will always be flat when there’s nothing to play for

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 12, 2018, 02:35:20 pm by drfchound »

England Fans members have a priority booking period and most regular England fans will buy in that period and will generally sit/stand in the same area. The band will also be there, hence why the singing came from just one part of the ground. The other areas will be made up of people who don't normally go to England games and the more there are of them the worse the atmosphere, just like last night.

The atmosphere at Elland Road for the Costa Rica game was good, not sure why exactly, but far better than Wembley. I wouldn't expect a great atmosphere for the Croatia game, but if their support travel in numbers it might be just what Wembley needs. Wembley has become a big tourist attraction and the tourists generally kill any atmosphere.

For most England fans, like myself, we just look forward to the away games. That's when the real atmosphere kicks in and why we keep doing it.

I have been to England away in Europe and England at home at Wembley and Old Trafford.
None of them were friendly matches and the away atmosphere was by far the best.
At home it was much better at OT than Wembley.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 12, 2018, 03:40:56 pm by The Red Baron »
You have to take into account it was a friendly,  atmosphere will always be flat when there’s nothing to play for

Wasn't Costa Rica a friendly?

I think it was the last friendly before the World Cup, which might have given it a bit more edge.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 12, 2018, 04:05:14 pm by karldew »
England away games are fantastic, a lot better than the home games.

I’ve went to the Iceland game in Nice (EUROS), although it’s probably England’s worse result in a cup competition, the whole day and experience was brilliant. England away to Netherlands even though it was a friendly was a lot lot better than the England World Cup qualifier at home to Slovakia.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 12, 2018, 04:21:27 pm by Scooter »

Thanks Martin that’s good to know. I’ve just booked 5 tickets to take my family to the Croatia game. It won’t be where the band is but 80 quid for 5 tickets in the family enclosure is a good deal

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 12, 2018, 04:22:36 pm by Scooter »
Scooter.  You didn't have a read car with two rovers stickers in the rear view mirror did you

No not me. My ride is silver

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 12, 2018, 04:28:02 pm by drfchound »

So you are the Lone Ranger then.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 12, 2018, 04:40:53 pm by scawsby steve »

Like the old joke Hound; what's the nearest thing to silver?; the Lone Ranger's b*llocks.

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 12, 2018, 04:58:02 pm by Scooter »

Ha ha I better get the costume

TinyPortal © 2005-2012