Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:08:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alfie May  (Read 2928 times)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Alfie May
« on November 24, 2018, 06:18:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
Alfie May has made a total of 69 appearances for Rovers in all competitions over three seasons (16/17, 17/18 and 19/19) scoring a total of 18 goals, of which 7 have been in the league (3 in League Two and 4 in League One) with no league goals so far this season. Almost half of his entire goals total has come in three games - 4 goals in 2 games in the EFL Cup and 4 against National League North Chorley.

What do we reckon?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Alfie May
« Reply #1 on November 24, 2018, 06:25:14 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I reckon he put a shift in and played well today.

Granted he won't get us promoted as he isn't scoring enough at this level but played well today.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 24, 2018, 06:34:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
He's improved under McCann. Don't write him off just yet.

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 24, 2018, 07:04:41 pm by chrisd_123 »
Yes he missed a sitter today. But he was in the position and his movement for it was class.

This season he’s stepped up again. His hold up play if getting better and better and his hard work led to our goal.

Easy to pick him up on the miss but all strikers have them ones.

In no way am I saying he’s the answer but under McCann he’s improving and does a great job for the team.

He put a proper shift in today.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 24, 2018, 07:08:31 pm by drfchound »
He's improved under McCann. Don't write him off just yet.

Agreed, his movement is much better this season.
All strikers miss chances.
I am confident that he will start to score league goals for us.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 24, 2018, 07:16:34 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
He's realised his dream and has now realised real life as a pro footballer is hard work. He appears to be willing to work hard to make sure the dream is not short lived.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 24, 2018, 07:17:55 pm by Bentley Bullet »
May played very well today apart from the scuff when he should have been on target. That happens to the best of strikers never mind those just learning their trade.

I think Wilks was a poor replacement and we'd have had more chance of winning the game had May stayed on.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 24, 2018, 07:33:40 pm by dickos1 »
Alfie May has made a total of 69 appearances for Rovers in all competitions over three seasons (16/17, 17/18 and 19/19) scoring a total of 18 goals, of which 7 have been in the league (3 in League Two and 4 in League One) with no league goals so far this season. Almost half of his entire goals total has come in three games - 4 goals in 2 games in the EFL Cup and 4 against National League North Chorley.

What do we reckon?

How many games has he started though?
He’s scored 18 goals in at a guess around 20 starts
Very good record

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on November 24, 2018, 07:42:35 pm by selby »
  Not a day to knock any player, to a man they did us proud, Alfies only mistake missing that chance but he played very well.
   BB Wilks could have easily won us a penalty with his strength, and on the left foot would have probably put that chance away. Fine margins, most would have been happy with a draw at the start of the match, and we had more than one good chance to win the game, but as a team we were very good, luck, bad finishing, and good goalkeeping conspired against us, but it is a well done to them all from me.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 24, 2018, 07:46:49 pm by pib »
Can’t really fault May other than the missed chance.

It’s the sort of chance he needs to be tucking away but he wasn’t the only player culpable of missing good chances today.

Thought overall he played really well and deserves the chance to stay in the team and show what he can do over a run of games

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 24, 2018, 07:54:16 pm by StocktonRover »
Thought he battled so well today.
It was his determination that won the ball which he fed to Copps to cross for the goal.

Keep it up Alfie

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 25, 2018, 12:42:55 pm by Bentley Bullet »
  Not a day to knock any player, to a man they did us proud, Alfies only mistake missing that chance but he played very well.
   BB Wilks could have easily won us a penalty with his strength, and on the left foot would have probably put that chance away. Fine margins, most would have been happy with a draw at the start of the match, and we had more than one good chance to win the game, but as a team we were very good, luck, bad finishing, and good goalkeeping conspired against us, but it is a well done to them all from me.

Selby. Wilks might have put it away in that position. Of course, that's assuming he's got a similar positional sense to May to get in that position in order to put it away.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on November 25, 2018, 01:09:06 pm by since-1969 »

What do we reckon?
If the Barnsley match was a what we have been missing then he has earned his opportunity to go on and be the best he can be with Us and let everybody else just drool at his skill his speed he could well gone to be Rovers legend .

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 25, 2018, 01:17:10 pm by bpoolrover »
Alfie ran all game closing defenders and midfield down giving them no time to play, he is a completely different player to wilks and a far more effective 1 imo

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 25, 2018, 02:01:53 pm by since-1969 »
Alfie ran all game closing defenders and midfield down giving them no time to play, he is a completely different player to wilks and a far more effective 1 imo

Wilks / May are Chalk and cheese Wilks is a one footed player with a great shot and is physically stronger but he seldom completes moves or get his shot off , May is a player who can turn defenders inside out . He offers our midfield the opportunity to put balls behind their defenders and let May run at the goal. Both are impacket players but what we are needing is a player who can head a ball provided from Lawler / Marosi and get on top of the centre backs at corners as well has hold up the play to get others involved . None of which Marquis is doing at the minute.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 25, 2018, 02:26:09 pm by selby »
  Since 1969, he has finished 3 moves off this season. And to quote BB, I find it funny it is Ok this season for you and others to compare another player, to point the finger at another of our players.what goes round comes round BB,
   Alfie has played well in his last few games and deserves the shirt with his performances, no question about that, but, to be considered a striker he has to start scoring goals at league level, and start to take a bigger percentage of the chances he gets in games. Both players have missed chances that have cost us points, but can go on to be good players if they improve in front of goal, we need them to.
  One other point Alfie is 24/25, Wilks 19/20 Wilks can be a right asset and for his age is a real handful, Alfie is playing catch up at the professional game.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 25, 2018, 04:04:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Selby. I said I think Wilks was a poor replacement and we'd have had more chance of winning the game had May stayed on. I stand by that. I'm judging McCann's decision on the substitution in hindsight and wasn't against the decision at the time. I've nothing against Wilks and would have loved him to score the winner, but he was poor when he came on. I compared Wilks on his performance as May's replacement, NOT on any suggestion that Wilks shouldn't have come on because he is shite, and May is brilliant.

If I had said that you would have been correct to compare those comments with those of your own regarding May versus Mandeville.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012