Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:16:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ROK on Radio Sheff  (Read 4241 times)

mushRTID

• Forum Member
ROK on Radio Sheff
« on September 17, 2010, 10:38:20 pm by mushRTID »
Did anyone hear him after the game? The reporter asked a question regarding Billy and his lack of support and ROK sarcasticly replied and suggested the reporter watched the game again as he was wrong.

Thought it was a bit out of order. Maybe the reporter should have told him to re watch the game because from what I saw tonight we are totally wasting Billys strengths with no support.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Superspy

• VSC Member
Re:ROK on Radio Sheff
« Reply #1 on September 17, 2010, 10:40:32 pm by Superspy »
it does seem very strange how last year everything was to billys feet (or so it seemed), and this year he is chasing a lot of long balls. is it just me?

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 17, 2010, 10:44:00 pm by Viking Don »
Maybe I should watch again, but I think he's still getting the ball to his feet quite a lot, but the difference is there's always at least one defender standing on his heels. He's going to have to accept that's going to be the case after his goals last season, but I'm sure he'll find ways around them sooner rather than later.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 17, 2010, 10:44:49 pm by MrFrost »
Wasn't that why he got pissed off at Sheff Utd due to no service and the style of play?

Play to Billys strengths and he will score a hat full.

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 17, 2010, 11:06:09 pm by Woodhead Passer »
I think that Billy would be better playing on the wing, its worth a try! He'd get more of the ball, be marked less, make more runs with the ball and give us more width. Just like bellamy, he likes to play wide left and has better performances. I'd then stick fairhurst upfront, i think the lad has potential, he got 2 in 2 last season then disappeared.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 17, 2010, 11:07:54 pm by mushRTID »
Billy on the wing? Are you drunk?

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 17, 2010, 11:10:15 pm by Woodhead Passer »
Whats wrong with that? Hes got the pace and the skill! I think its worth a shot

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 17, 2010, 11:11:34 pm by Filo »
I think we ought to play him as goalkeeper, he`ll see plenty of the ball there......

....on the wing! have you been on mind altering substances?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 17, 2010, 11:12:11 pm by Nudga »
adam3rovers wrote:
I think that Billy would be better playing on the wing, its worth a try! He'd get more of the ball, be marked less, make more runs with the ball and give us more width. Just like bellamy, he likes to play wide left and has better performances. I'd then stick fairhurst upfront, i think the lad has potential, he got 2 in 2 last season then disappeared.

Aye good idea. Blackwell did that and it worked a treat for the Blades, that's why we stole in with cheeky £5.5mil bid.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 17, 2010, 11:13:08 pm by Surrey Rover »
adam3rovers wrote:

Go and have another shot then come back tomorrow when you're sober.....

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 17, 2010, 11:15:41 pm by Woodhead Passer »
:blush:  just my opinion

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 17, 2010, 11:34:49 pm by not on facebook »
billys got pace....i doubt that very much....dumbaya now
that is pace what that lad has.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 18, 2010, 12:02:26 am by PDX_Rover »
He got some service in the first half when we played down the flanks and were whipping balls in.  Would have scored but for a great block.  Second half not so much.... not sure why we seemed to change tack.  Billy thrives on the break and from wing play, not the overly-methodical build-up that we are guilty of sometimes.

The goals will come.  Convinced of it.

I-was-there1976

« Reply #13 on September 18, 2010, 12:10:45 am by I-was-there1976 »
Its hard when the midfield ((best in the championship) parp) go missing for 70 minutes

Good point tonight because that was pure w**k

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 18, 2010, 12:11:32 am by Viking Don »
Well this season will be the test for Billy. 15 Goals last season so he's 'the one to watch' as far as the opposition is concerned.

Of course the flip side of that is that we've got seven different goalscorers in our side already, joint top CCC side, so even if the lad isn't scoring he'll still get my vote as he's creating space for others to score!

Win win situation for Rovers, as they'll realise they can't just assume the million pound man is the only one to watch, so he'll get that space back. At the moment he's just lending space to Copps etc, but it'll be payback day soon.

VikingJames

« Reply #15 on September 18, 2010, 12:17:35 am by VikingJames »
The ROK interview made me laugh. Him and Sean have graduated from the same school of handling the media I think. They might be quiet methodical people, but they don't take any rubbish in interviews.

Bikka

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 18, 2010, 12:32:04 am by Bikka »
mushRTID wrote:
Billy on the wing? Are you drunk?

Must be pi$$ed, sorry but I don't want Billy anywhere but in the box, end of.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 18, 2010, 12:38:18 am by Viking Don »
If that's the only place SoD wanted him to be then he'd have kept Heffs.

VikingJames

« Reply #18 on September 18, 2010, 12:40:12 am by VikingJames »
I do feel a bit sorry for Billy in a way. Several instances tonight we had the chance to put a cross in for him, and we decided to pass it inside, pass it back out, run it around in circles. Especially in the 2nd half.

Maybe that isn't the problem, I know naff all compared to SOD, but it looked to me that we were too reluctant to get the ball in the box. I know BS isn't the biggest, but if you put the ball in the right areas for him enough times, I'd say there's a significant chance that he'll get on the end of one of them.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 18, 2010, 12:46:33 am by Viking Don »
The major problem for Billy tonight was Bruce and Collins, who just played very well. Didn't Collins score for Wolves against us a couple of seasons back?

Billy is going to have some top class defences to breach this season, no doubt. The last two home games have seen him up against top class centre halfs IMO. High balls into the box to him have proved fruitless, no surprise. I mean these are two clubs just promoted from League1, so there's more (or better) of the same to come.

VikingJames

« Reply #20 on September 18, 2010, 12:51:37 am by VikingJames »
Viking Don wrote:
The major problem for Billy tonight was Bruce and Collins, who just played very well. Didn't Collins score for Wolves against us a couple of seasons back?

Billy is going to have some top class defences to breach this season, no doubt. The last two home games have seen him up against top class centre halfs IMO. High balls into the box to him have proved fruitless, no surprise.

Yeah he did. PNE fans hated him when he was there, as he's a bit of a clumsy oaf. I think he is a player that you can force mistakes from, but we just didn't do enough to make that happen tonight. All those long balls were food and drink for him, as he's pretty immaculate aerially.

Agreed about Bruce though, he was excellent. Very solid.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 18, 2010, 09:22:26 am by bobjimwilly »
Superspy wrote:
it does seem very strange how last year everything was to billys feet (or so it seemed), and this year he is chasing a lot of long balls. is it just me?

I was asking the same question last night? Before Billy came, everyone was in agreement we just needed a better striker to get on the end of everything. Now we have one, we don't seem to cross or play as many through balls? I'm sure it will get addressed like, just a bit frustrating for Billy and the fans I feel at the min  :blink:

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 18, 2010, 11:33:16 am by mushRTID »
VikingJames wrote:
The ROK interview made me laugh. Him and Sean have graduated from the same school of handling the media I think. They might be quiet methodical people, but they don't take any rubbish in interviews.

I may be misunderstanding you but I dont think the questions he was asked were 'rubbish'. They were valid questions, especially regarding Billy. Didnt think there was any need for the sarcasm personally.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 18, 2010, 02:55:54 pm by CusworthRovers »
Billy gives this team everything and that's not just goals. That's why we paid over a million for him. It's his all round game that makes this team so effective, something we've not had up front before, under Sean.

The only difference I have noted between this season and last is:

He came very deep last season to join in the link play and subsequently timimg his run into the box to get on the end of it. Less seen and more space/time, as he never hung round the box as much.
This season, he's right on the defenders shoulders and usually 2 of them. It will be more of a struggle this time round, if he's staying on their shoulders and then making forward runs, plus his added reputation.

He will come good (in terms of goals). He's already a good player for the team.

VikingJames

« Reply #24 on September 18, 2010, 05:07:02 pm by VikingJames »
mushRTID wrote:
VikingJames wrote:

I may be misunderstanding you but I dont think the questions he was asked were 'rubbish'. They were valid questions, especially regarding Billy. Didnt think there was any need for the sarcasm personally.

I didn't think the questions were rubbish, but when asked questions that they don't agree with, SOD and ROK don't mess about in telling the reporters exactly what they think.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 18, 2010, 05:14:14 pm by donnybez »
adam3rovers wrote:
But he cant CROSS and who'd he cross to?

Face it, last season was Him and Shiels partnering him, so revert back to that

TinyPortal © 2005-2012