Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:35:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rochdale Highlights  (Read 15401 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Rochdale Highlights
« Reply #30 on April 02, 2016, 10:47:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Pancho.

I'll say it again. I'm not slagging off his overall performance. It may well have been a textbook display for all I know.

What I'm doing is pointing out that he made three dreadful errors that contributed significantly to both goals.

Take a deep breath, read what I'm writing, look at the video and tell me I'm wrong.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on April 02, 2016, 10:55:22 pm by dickos1 »
Not sure significantly is the right word

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 02, 2016, 11:00:17 pm by Pancho Regan »
You are wrong.

You are wrong because you are attempting to clinically dissect certain moments within a game and then attribute those moments as the reason why we didn't win that game. You are trying to blame one player for our defeat today.

That is wrong on so many levels. It completely devalues the team performance which I witnessed today.

I saw a group of players who worked so hard for each other, dug deep, put themselves on the line, and who ultimately fell to their knees in despair when that ball went into their net in the 96th minute.

Do not belittle those efforts (which you didn't witness) by trying to blame one player.

He doesn't deserve it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on April 02, 2016, 11:01:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Pancho

I'm genuinely impressed at your ability to see the positives and I apologise if I've riled you.

I'm usually one of the naive optimists round here, but I'll be honest, I've cracked over the past few weeks. The performances have been so witless and gutless that I'm not really feeling like giving them the benefit of the doubt because they've had a match where they have applied basic professional standards (apart from the two sets of appalling defending for the goals...)

If they re-discover their pride and ability and pick up the 10-11 points that we'll need to stay up, then I will eat humble pie by the plateful. But until then, they have lost the right to be immune from criticism, because they have been shite for most of the past 13 months, and almost impossibly shite for the past 3.

It's a long way back from there.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 02, 2016, 11:02:47 pm by tommy toes »
McCulloch was superb today. My MOM by a mile.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on April 02, 2016, 11:05:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Pancho

We have a fundamental difference of outlook. You are taking pride in an overall performance. I see football as a game that pivots around crucial moments. Get the crucial moments wrong and you are in trouble. That is what we have been doing for months, and today sounds like a classic example. More so if they were as good as you say in general, because the defending for the two goals was utterly dreadful.

And it is those moments that matter.

And a suggestion. Read what I write instead of trying to read into it what you think I am saying. I'm sorry to be blunt, but it helps to nip arguments in the bud. I wasn't blaming one player for the defeat. McCullough's mistakes for the goals were the most egregious, but he wasn't on his own. As I thought I made clear in the opening post. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:08:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on April 02, 2016, 11:11:33 pm by Pancho Regan »
Pancho

I'm genuinely impressed at your ability to see the positives and I apologise if I've riled you.

I'm usually one of the naive optimists round here, but I'll be honest, I've cracked over the past few weeks. The performances have been so witless and gutless that I'm not really feeling like giving them the benefit of the doubt because they've had a match where they have applied basic professional standards (apart from the two sets of appalling defending for the goals...)

If they re-discover their pride and ability and pick up the 10-11 points that we'll need to stay up, then I will eat humble pie by the plateful. But until then, they have lost the right to be immune from criticism, because they have been shite for most of the past 13 months, and almost impossibly shite for the past 3.

It's a long way back from there.

It's a long way back for all of us, and I am hurting as much as anybody.

I want to scream and shout and blame the players and the manager and the Board and anybody else....

I have supported this team through thick and thin and will continue to do so. As a supporter I reserve the right to criticise any player who doesn't give every effort to the cause.

But equally I will defend every player who is unfairly criticised, and you are unfairly criticising McCullough.

Again, I put it to you that you had to be there today to appreciate his performance BST.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on April 02, 2016, 11:15:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Pancho

Like I say. I'm happy to accept that he was flawless for most of the game. It doesn't change the fact that he made three really, really bad errors at crucial moments.

Football's a hard game...

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on April 02, 2016, 11:20:28 pm by Pancho Regan »
BST, how can you say we have a fundamental difference of outlook?
With respect, that is a ridiculous statement.

We're all in the same boat.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on April 02, 2016, 11:24:30 pm by Pancho Regan »
Pancho

Like I say. I'm happy to accept that he was flawless for most of the game. It doesn't change the fact that he made three really, really bad errors at crucial moments.

Wrong BST.
He did not make 3 bad errors.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on April 02, 2016, 11:25:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Pancho

On the important things in football matches.

You say that being excellent for 95% of the match obviates criticism.

I say that screwing up in the crucial moments overwrites everything else.

When I was a young engineering student, a grizzled old head said something that has stuck with me ever since. He said, "As a student, if you get 90% perfect and 10% wrong, you get a 1st class degree. As a professional engineer, if you get 90% perfect and 10% wrong, you go to prison."

Over the last few months, we have been getting the 10% wrong every single week. And it is that which is going to send us down. Regardless of how good the other 90% is.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on April 02, 2016, 11:31:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
P
Pancho

Wrong BST.

Pancho

1) McCullough was asleep for the first goal. The scorer drifted past him and into space. He never gets tight. He gives the player he should be marking 2 yards inside the box, to take the ball down and shoot. You see McCullough suddenly appreciate the danger as the ball drops, and try to make up the ground, but it is too late.

2) Second goal. That first header from the free kick. Jesus wept...

3) And then he loses his discipline and comes charging out, making it easy for the winger to ghost past him and put in the cross that leads to the goal.

3 chances there to do basic defending and make it difficult for the opposition. 3 chances passed up by inattention and technical error.

My point is that it is THIS which has been killing us for weeks and weeks. Precisely because we are lacking the mental steel to be strong at those key moments. We switch off. We get sloppy. We make it easy when it should be hard. And the result is that we are going down.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:33:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on April 02, 2016, 11:35:03 pm by Pancho Regan »
Pancho

On the important things in football matches.

You say that being excellent for 95% of the match obviates criticism.

I say that screwing up in the crucial moments overwrites everything else.

When I was a young engineering student, a grizzled old head said something that has stuck with me ever since. He said, "As a student, if you get 90% perfect and 10% wrong, you get a 1st class degree. As a professional engineer, if you get 90% perfect and 10% wrong, you go to prison."

Over the last few months, we have been getting the 10% wrong every single week. And it is that which is going to send us down. Regardless of how good the other 90% is.

Yes, and when all those percentages are shoved up everyone's arses I will be there cheering the Rovers on in League 2 BST.

And just now and again I'll be looking back on those halcyon days in the Championship and thinking 'if only'.

But I won't be looking back and blaming McCullough because it won't be his fault.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on April 02, 2016, 11:40:57 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Pancho

Goodnight.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on April 02, 2016, 11:47:14 pm by Pancho Regan »
P
Pancho

Wrong BST.

Pancho

1) McCullough was asleep for the first goal. The scorer drifted past him and into space. He never gets tight. He gives the player he should be marking 2 yards inside the box, to take the ball down and shoot. You see McCullough suddenly appreciate the danger as the ball drops, and try to make up the ground, but it is too late.

2) Second goal. That first header from the free kick. Jesus wept...

3) And then he loses his discipline and comes charging out, making it easy for the winger to ghost past him and put in the cross that leads to the goal.

3 chances there to do basic defending and make it difficult for the opposition. 3 chances passed up by inattention and technical error.

My point is that it is THIS which has been killing us for weeks and weeks. Precisely because we are lacking the mental steel to be strong at those key moments. We switch off. We get sloppy. We make it easy when it should be hard. And the result is that we are going down.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

The first goal was not McCullough's fault.

OK, I give in. If I ever have more time, I'll try to continue my defence of McCullough, but I fear I have to go to bed so cannot do that now.

Suffice to say, I was there today and there is no way that McCullough should be be held responsible for our losing that game.
Indeed, you could argue that his bold forward runs helped to create some of our scoring chances.

For those who did not attend the game but still see fit to criticise, well, shame on you. You missed a good game.

Come on you Reds!  We can do it!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:51:14 pm by Pancho Regan »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on April 02, 2016, 11:50:03 pm by Pancho Regan »

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on April 03, 2016, 12:14:42 am by hoolahoop »
Pancho , I admire your defence on Mc Cullough but fact is they are 3 crucial errors and basic one's at that . I'm sure from what you're saying that the rest of his game was at least competent at best excellent . However those mistakes have cost us as dear as a penalty miss in a shoot out when you have had an otherwise fantastic game and you have just lost the Cup because of it . I'm sure we played well most of the time today but teams have been literally walking goals into our net for months now. Never fantastic or even goals crafted from silky skills but goals like the one's we conceded today messy , unavoidable, horrible goals.

Mc Cullough is not to be blamed for all of these or even most of them but today on that evidence ....he was at fault despite the merits of the other 90 minutes or so.

We are beaten, saddened nay even angry but we can rebuild should the seemingly inevitable happen. Passionate support of all our players is what they deserve and hopefully will get.

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on April 03, 2016, 12:45:45 am by Superspy »
This thread reminds me of the game a few years ago where we dropped 4 goals and Sam Hird was at least partially to blame for all of them.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on April 03, 2016, 01:04:46 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Sam Hird was to blame for EVERY goal we conceded back then.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 03, 2016, 01:39:01 am by Sammy Chung was King »
They gave everything today, no doubt, but every single player has had his turn this season to make a mistake that cost a goal. Like it or not the opposition is being given goals through very simple mistakes every game, they have to remedy this or even the slightest chance of staying up will soon be over.
When a team is struggling, you do the basics right, find a man with a pass that has the same shirt on, if there is the slightest danger put the ball out.
Goalkeepers stay on their line unless they are almost sure they will get the ball. Defenders just defend nothing fancy, be stubborn and hard to beat.
Midfielders make sure you do an equal share of providing chances, and stopping the opposition making any. Wingers make sure you get the better of the full back, and you get plenty of crosses in.
And strikers Don't snatch at chances, don't just hit the target, make every shot an intention to score, it's a simple game keep your position, but also be brave enough to take a chance to make something happen!. We need the players to take responsibility and work as a team, miles better today!.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 03, 2016, 08:52:50 am by MrFrost »
It's BST, he's never wrong.

We're going to finish in the top half aren't we?

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on April 03, 2016, 09:26:48 am by tommy toes »
I enjoy reading most of BST's erudite and amusing contributions, but his patronising, sanctimonious  stance on this thread is too much.
He bases his view on a very short snapshot of yesterday's game and insists (as usual) he is right.
Ridiculous.
McCulloch did so much that was right yesterday. He was immense.
The first goal was as much to do with our goalie going AWOL and there were several reasons why the second went in, starting with Tommy Rowe  (who also played very well) booting the ball down the pitch instead of over the stand; and Chaplow for conceding the free kick.
Williams was clean through twice and didn't score. Maybe it was his fault or Alcock for getting sent off. Or the ref for sending him off. Or the ref for playing overtime. Or the Rovers fan near me who threw the ball straight back to a Dale player at the end when he should have left it alone.
Doubt we'll finish in the top half either.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on April 03, 2016, 09:42:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Tommy

It's interesting how threads pick up a life of their own.

I've said several times that I wasn't criticising McCullough's overall performance (because I couldn't) and that I wasn't blaming McCullough personally for the defeat (that would be stupid). I was pointing out that McCullough had made three bad mistakes that CONTRIBUTED to the two goals we conceded.

Yet, despite saying that clearly and unambiguously, people are still reading what they THINK I'm saying, into what I actually said and getting themselves in a lather about it.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on April 03, 2016, 09:53:01 am by eastender »
Pancho

BST I think you've had a case of mistaken identity , It's not McCullough Who miss times the header from the free kick or goes charging out of the box making it easy for the winger , It's Chaplow.
McCollough hardly moves from the 6 yard box through out the whole move. If anything he might be guilty of ball watching , but not his fault for the goal.

The first goal lies squarely on the keeper , he stay's on his line and the guy doesn't score simple.
If he had taken another touch , McCullough would have been on him.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on April 03, 2016, 09:55:14 am by BillyStubbsTears »
It's BST, he's never wrong.

We're going to finish in the top half aren't we?

Oof! Kerpow! Biffo!

Not sure I can survive this fusillade of punishment Frosty.

'Kin 'ell. It's like a heckler shouting out, "Oi! Oi! OIiiiiii! Er....You're shit!"

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on April 03, 2016, 09:56:38 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Pancho

BST I think you've had a case of mistaken identity , It's not McCullough Who miss times the header from the free kick or goes charging out of the box making it easy for the winger , It's Chaplow.
McCollough hardly moves from the 6 yard box through out the whole move. If anything he might be guilty of ball watching , but not his fault for the goal.

The first goal lies squarely on the keeper , he stay's on his line and the guy doesn't score simple.

Phew! That clears it up then! These baldies eh? All look the bleeding same.

Right. That second goal. Chaplow. What the actual F? Etc, etc...

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on April 03, 2016, 09:58:19 am by Bessie Red »
Pancho

[/quote
Pancho

I was just about to post the same. It was Chaplow not McCullogh your honour!!

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 03, 2016, 10:00:32 am by Sad-Rovers »
clearly and unambiguously

Blame the eyes Billy.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on April 03, 2016, 10:03:43 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I'd just looked at the league table and gouged the f**kers out.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012