Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:55:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A day to shame Doncaster  (Read 14060 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: A day to shame Doncaster
« Reply #30 on August 25, 2012, 11:36:40 pm by RedJ »
the atmosphere was quite good for decent spells in the match - how do you know what it was like without being there anyway?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pinter777

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 25, 2012, 11:39:01 pm by Pinter777 »
i sincerely apologize for working today. i understand many people who are unemployed or claiming find it very hard to understand anything outside of football but there is more to life.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 25, 2012, 11:41:13 pm by Mr1Croft »
I normally praise Norfolk's effort of trying to stifle debate on the forum, but do you only post after drinking a bottle of Bells?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 25, 2012, 11:56:11 pm by dickos1 »
I'm quite impressed with the gates so far. Today there was as many home fans than at the majority of our home games last year and more than a quite a few of the games.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 25, 2012, 11:59:31 pm by RobTheRover »
I think you are right Dickos. There were definitely more home fans there today than on Tuesday night. Crawley brought,  what,  150 if that?   

If Norfolk was truly too ill to attend,  then I wish him a speedy recovery. Shame he's perked up enough to get as far as the keyboard.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 26, 2012, 12:00:29 am by eastender »
Sheffield has a population going into million figures

Yet sheff utd and sheff weds dont even between them make 10%

Numerous reasons

People on holiday
Arm chair fans
Finances dictating attendance, remember we have had 2 home games this week
Etc

Sheffield's population is 552k. They do pretty well percentage wise to say there are two clubs based there.

Of cause they do well considering a good 5% of there attendance are from surrounding towns,Like Donny. :headbang:

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 26, 2012, 12:04:58 am by nortikorner »
norlfork n change
doesnt  matter what the attendance is its our team if you dont like it foxrot oscar   attendance doesnt make a football team  passion does  go forth and multiply

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 26, 2012, 12:09:38 am by bobjimwilly »
I put my headline forward .....Thats is my honest opinion.....

Sadly I could not be there but embarrassed for this town.

Dont no where we will be in 2015 but I think we will be well down leagues

How many should we be getting then?

£10k minimum

In League One? Where even Coventry, a club from a bigger place, with a far bigger history than ours are only just getting that number?
I put my headline forward .....Thats is my honest opinion.....

Sadly I could not be there but embarrassed for this town.

Dont no where we will be in 2015 but I think we will be well down leagues

£10k minimum

You're having a laugh. You're either deluded or winding people up on purpose. By moaning to people who were most probably at the game, you'll achieve a big fat zero.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on August 26, 2012, 12:35:04 am by Dagenham Rover »
Wow I know I'm a bit dodgy on paragraphs but....... :cool:

Stantheredandwhiteman

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 26, 2012, 01:30:15 am by Stantheredandwhiteman »
Norfolk you mug! Don't come on here slating the attendance when you didn't even go, and how do you know what the atmosphere was like?!

I actually thought it was a decent attendance to say we were playing Crawley at home who brought 150 fans!

Alonzo Drake

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 26, 2012, 02:35:23 am by Alonzo Drake »
If I hadn't seen Norfolk's 2000 plus posts on his banner id, I'd have thought it was Madmick spouting his crap again again under another identity.

You know better than this Norfolk.

I don't want to repeat many of the great responses above negating your negativism, and lack of insight, but it must be stressed that Donny is suffering greatly from the loss of its major industries in the last quarter of a century, so this greatly influences our attendances -- not to speak of the awful 80s and 90s when the Thatcherite decline began. Back then thousands would not visit crumbling BV to see such an awful team, and many more did not have the money to do it -- and then 5 seasons out of the FL helped to really decimate our supporting base.

In historical context, the 6,000 or so Rovers fans who have turned up for the last two games is a fantastic achievement for JR, DS and the club despite the horrors of the last 18 months, and the awful matchday experience at the Keepmoat. Moreover, making a comparison of average gates and metro borough pop is highly misleading as Donny is such a diverse place.

Borough re-organization in 1973 tacked together a lot of places that didn't have the Donny identity of say a Balby, Wheatley or an Intake.

Furthermore, the 70s were dire times for the club, and we surviving Rovers fans back then called ourselves members of the 1,500 club because that was the fan core and base. Our average gates in 72/73 and 73/74 were 2,258 and 2,297 respectively. Stan Anderson's attacking ethos and young team lifted us to the dizzy heights of 6,083 and 4,500 in 74/75 and 75/76, but the gates soon dropped below 3,000 again before Bremner arrived.

When we were relegated from D3 in 87/88, the av. gate was 1,893. I moved to the States in '88 and watched varsity soccer at the University of Connecticut which attracted 6,000 each home game -- so I quickly realised then how my beloved Rovers had hit rock bottom. I'd watched Rovers home games in the 60s at BV as a member of many crowds between 12,000 and 20,000, but those days, like our industrial base and the mass employment it provided, have gone forever.

To regain perspective, in 1980/81 and 1983/84, we had promotion and two cracking teams under Bremner, but the av. attendances were 5,411 and 3,729 respectively. Now, we're one of the better supported clubs in D3. I predict Crawley will be another Rushden and Diamonds, and will crash and burn when their financial support dissipates.

In summary, I'm so proud our gates have kept as high as 6,000, and if we're challenging throughout the season we'll soon get back to the 7,500 base we enjoyed in our relegation season last year.

Well done Rovers for resisting the repeated declines I have witnessed in my long tenure as A Rovers fanatic.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 26, 2012, 07:18:51 am by Glyn_Wigley »
the DN postcode extends from Donny to Cleethorpes  and all points inbetween including Scunny who have a team in the same league

So what? Barnsley and Rotherham both have Sheffield postcodes...

colin cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 26, 2012, 07:58:08 am by colin cramb »
It seems JR wants around the 7k mark so to say we had 6400 with a poor away following id say were not too far off our chaimans ambitions

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 26, 2012, 08:26:45 am by DonnyNoel »
The population of Doncastern is debatable depending on your view of geography. As others have stated on here there are parts of the borough that are classed as Doncaster but closer to other towns. Some articles will quote the 300k figure as the population for the borough but only around 110k for the immediate town.

So from that deduct - people who are too young/old to attend. People who live in Doncaster but not from the area. People fom Doncaster that support other teams. All significant figures I'd wager and thats before we get into the "lost generation of fans" argument.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 26, 2012, 08:42:29 am by Donnywolf »
As usual a sound and rational post from Alonzo

As a co member of the 1500 Club I would answer the opening post by saying I thought the attendance was "reasonable" and not a matter of shame at all

I thought the South Stand crowd did their best to lift the Team and probably to keep their own spirits up ...and they seemed to be at it throughout the Match

The undoubted shame was the abject performance from both sets of Players which produced a totally forgettable game

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 26, 2012, 09:02:14 am by The Beast »
 I for one would have stayed to watch a bit of the Belles game if the kick off was say 1715 but have other commitments and couldnt really justify kicking my heels til six.

Think the match day experience needs sorting out at the Keepmoat, felt a bit of a damp squib, non event today.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on August 26, 2012, 09:14:41 am by Colin C No.3 »
1) only 6k plus for a bank holiday
2) Atmosphere laughable
3) very little stopped behind to watch bells

.......right?

As you weren't there your last two points are based on?

And they're The Belles not bells you moron.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 26, 2012, 09:46:40 am by Donnybax »
I say this every time so please can I ave an answer this time. What is the point in moaning about it on here the Doncaster people who don't want to go are never going to read this and that's who its aimed at so in my opinion there is no point

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 26, 2012, 10:07:42 am by Wild Rover »
[

[/quote]

£10k minimum
[/quote]

So thats about 667 attendees then at average £15. All in all DRFC not doing that bad.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 26, 2012, 10:41:36 am by Norfolk N Chance »
Remember we had won our first 3 games and it was a bank holiday ..

Wait when we start losing .....

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 26, 2012, 10:52:09 am by grayx »
1) only 6k plus for a bank holiday
2) Atmosphere laughable
3) very little stopped behind to watch bells

Perhaps people dont want to spend £25 to watch Crawley or maybe they're pissed off that we've barely got a squad of players to put together.
As people often say on here its up to the board what they do with their money, but its also up to the people of Donny what they do with theirs.

.......right?

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on August 26, 2012, 10:56:46 am by bobjimwilly »

can't you go find a hole to bury yourself in or something?

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 26, 2012, 11:07:06 am by nice one rovers »
Norfolk N Chance, go live in Norfolk and support one of their clubs. Like they'll really appreciate having a "fan" like you on board.
Daft thing is we're getting told off by someone who couldn't be arsed to go himself.
 Well done, you got us all to bite.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 26, 2012, 11:13:19 am by Wild Rover »

But....It was you who said £10K minimum ( nothing to do with actual attendance, more the money, so i pointed out 667 would reach your figure of cash take ). Only winding you up for an obvious typographical error.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 26, 2012, 11:52:18 am by donnybez »
On the positive side

1) I managed to bring a Villa fan along

2) He enjoyed the experience and also see's us as his 2nd team

3) last but not least we both live a fair few miles away hence why we didnt stay behind

Thought I'd give you guys something positive

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on August 26, 2012, 12:16:46 pm by jucyberry »
But Martin, you do this every season, you know the answer is always going to be the same.. Those who want to come and can will, those who wanted to come but couldn't didn't and the rest can't be arsed.

The general population of Donny didn't feel the need to watch us in the championship, they aren't going to rush to watch league one footy now are they?

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 26, 2012, 12:44:20 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Norfolk N Chance, go live in Norfolk and support one of their clubs. Like they'll really appreciate having a "fan" like you on board.
Daft thing is we're getting told off by someone who couldn't be arsed to go himself.

Excuse me for being ill actually ST, Alliance and VSC member so shove that where the sun dont shine

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 26, 2012, 12:58:51 pm by DonnyNoel »

Excuse me for being ill actually ST, Alliance and VSC member so shove that where the sun dont shine

Do you actually read and respond to the more intelligent responses people give though? This debate happens every few months. Why not read Alonso's and Jucy's posts to at least cover (and maybe come to terms with!) some of the reasons.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 26, 2012, 01:06:11 pm by Norfolk N Chance »

Do you actually read and respond to the more intelligent responses people give though? This debate happens every few months. Why not read Alonso's and Jucy's posts to at least cover (and maybe come to terms with!) some of the reasons.

So not entitle to my opinion now?

I talk about population etc there is enough "meat on bones" to support my agrument

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on August 26, 2012, 01:27:15 pm by Filo »

2 points, I think you need to refrain from posting late at night, when you`re obviously under the influence and the other point is you need to be less aggressive with your posts!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012