Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:28:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: How bad were we?  (Read 14627 times)

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
Re: How bad were we?
« Reply #120 on September 22, 2012, 01:47:24 pm by mjdgreg »
Y
our Photographic memory has missed something mjdgreg!

I'll be honest (as usual). I had a lot of booze last night and my photographic memory takes a while to recover from such a pasting. It will be fully functional again this evening.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on September 22, 2012, 03:50:51 pm by Wild Rover »
No, you are the one that is wrong, very wrong, i never said you could only play posession football with "Best players in the world", what i said was it helps if you can afford the better players. since you have brought up O'driscoll just check the stats for his last 50 games in charge, it might surprise you that the average posession stat for that period is only in the 40% range, the number of "attempts" comes in at less than 8, on target averages less than 5 per match for DRFC. ( thats very very similar to Saunders games average ).

In the context of the Championship, we couldn't afford the better players but SOD still managed to play possession football. You make the mistake that Billy does of being selective with your data to make your point. Why didn't you include the games before the last 50?

The last 50 games make my point because we couldn't afford the better players to cover for the appalling injury list and so our possession stats suffered. What happened after this? We collected less points and eventually SOD was sacked and we got relegated.

You inadvertently make my point about possession being important. Does not the fact that Saunders is performing the same as SOD's last 50 games make you think? I'll spell it out. We need to improve in this area or Saunders will eventually get sacked and we'll get relegated.

I chose the last 50 games because it reflects quite nicely that what you say is wrong. HOWEVER i have now looked at the stats for all of O,driscoll reign, and it is marginally worse than those 50 games, so how does that fit in with your plan.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on September 22, 2012, 05:37:41 pm by mjdgreg »
I chose the last 50 games because it reflects quite nicely that what you say is wrong.

How do you work that one out?

HOWEVER i have now looked at the stats for all of O,driscoll reign, and it is marginally worse than those 50 games, so how does that fit in with your plan.

We believe you. lol.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on September 22, 2012, 05:55:21 pm by RedJ »
No, you are the one that is wrong, very wrong, i never said you could only play posession football with "Best players in the world", what i said was it helps if you can afford the better players. since you have brought up O'driscoll just check the stats for his last 50 games in charge, it might surprise you that the average posession stat for that period is only in the 40% range, the number of "attempts" comes in at less than 8, on target averages less than 5 per match for DRFC. ( thats very very similar to Saunders games average ).

In the context of the Championship, we couldn't afford the better players but SOD still managed to play possession football. You make the mistake that Billy does of being selective with your data to make your point. Why didn't you include the games before the last 50?

The last 50 games make my point because we couldn't afford the better players to cover for the appalling injury list and so our possession stats suffered. What happened after this? We collected less points and eventually SOD was sacked and we got relegated.

You inadvertently make my point about possession being important. Does not the fact that Saunders is performing the same as SOD's last 50 games make you think? I'll spell it out. We need to improve in this area or Saunders will eventually get sacked and we'll get relegated.

he never said you couldn't play possession football without the better players but that it helps if you've got them

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on September 22, 2012, 06:35:39 pm by mjdgreg »
Here's what he actually said:

What that actually shows is that if the club has lots of money and spend it, they get the best players, best players tend to be able to "pass the ball around". Thats called "Buying sucess".
DRFC cannot do that, therefore the posession stakes will be naturally lower, so will the "Chances" stakes ( or attempts if you wish ). But, at the end of this season DRFC may well be a success.

I read that as you need lots of money to buy the best players to play possession football and by doing that, you buy success. Rovers haven't got lots of money, so can't buy the best players, so will struggle to play possession football well enough to create lots of chances because of it.

Anyone reading his comment would infer that he doesn't think it's possible to play possession football unless you've got lots of money and can buy the best players. This is clearly wrong, as SOD has demonstrated with all the teams he has managed.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on September 22, 2012, 07:06:27 pm by Wild Rover »
I chose the last 50 games because it reflects quite nicely that what you say is wrong.

How do you work that one out?

HOWEVER i have now looked at the stats for all of O,driscoll reign, and it is marginally worse than those 50 games, so how does that fit in with your plan.

We believe you. lol.

You can check, quite easily. Here is an example. Take DRFC most sucessful season in Championsip ( 2009 - 2010 ). If you look the Posession stats are 44%( average ) to DRFC, Attempts on target average 4.89. Off Target 4.26, Corners 4.95. Is that really so different from Saunders reign. And that was SODs best season.

mjdgreg

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on September 22, 2012, 07:27:34 pm by mjdgreg »
You can check, quite easily. Here is an example. Take DRFC most sucessful season in Championsip ( 2009 - 2010 ). If you look the Posession stats are 44%( average ) to DRFC, Attempts on target average 4.89. Off Target 4.26, Corners 4.95. Is that really so different from Saunders reign. And that was SODs best season.

Yes but what was the number of attempts and corners that the opposition had? What about when we were in League 1? I think you'll find that SOD had a much better record than Saunders.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on September 22, 2012, 07:34:45 pm by Wild Rover »

Yes but what was the number of attempts and corners that the opposition had? What about when we were in League 1? I think you'll find that SOD had a much better record than Saunders.

Well old chap, did i not tell you earlier, that if you take Sod reign as a whole, it is slightly worse than his last 50 games. Now if you simply want to clutch at straws and only for me to look at League 1 then i will, but i will then compare the stats to Penney as opposed to Saunders ( cos Saunders has 7 games in league 1 , so a bit unfair).

Oh, by the way, if you think posession and Attempts and Corners mean so much, can i point you in the direction of Leeds V Forest and Crawley V Tranmere. Of course to you they would be "Outlaying Results" i guess.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:26:23 pm by Wild Rover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012