Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:05:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Biggest d*ckhead footballer you've spoken to...  (Read 9620 times)

Red Rover

• Forum Member
Biggest d*ckhead footballer you've spoken to...
« on September 19, 2012, 04:42:53 pm by Red Rover »
Bit of a random one, but interested in people's stories. Rovers players and non-Rovers players!  :facepalm:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Biggest d*ckhead footballer you've spoken to...
« Reply #1 on September 19, 2012, 04:57:42 pm by MachoMadness »
I've never met a footballer who was a d**khead, although I haven't really met that many. I met Barry Miller when I was at some football camp thing, was probably about 11 at the time, and he seemed like he didn't want to be there. That's about as far as it gets. Every other Rovers player I've bumped into over the years was very nice. Not exactly the hottest of gossip, but there you go.

Also, when I was much younger I was down in London with me mam and met Sir Bobby Robson on the tube. Thoroughly pleasant bloke, didn't mind some snot-nosed northern oik coming up to him and asking him questions at all.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 19, 2012, 05:02:30 pm by Alickismyhero »
Paul Merson came to my boys football club and did a Q&A session with the boys, when he was still at Arsenal. The boys were a little slow with the questions so I started the session off with "If Donny came in with a bid for you would you go"? He thought about it and came back with "Yes, because they have a race track next door". So there you have it if Donny had the money he would have come to us when he was at his peak.
He was certainly not a d**khead but willing to give up a Sunday morning to talk to the boys.

The following week we got Paul Walsh to talk to the boys and he gave a full and frank view of a footballers life, not all it is cracked up to be for the majority of footballers.

Not quite what you wanted!

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 19, 2012, 05:07:34 pm by Chris »
Again not a negative but Mark Yates is nice guy!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 19, 2012, 05:08:02 pm by Filo »
I picked Sean Thornton up in my Taxi once, I think he qualify`s as a d**khead

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 19, 2012, 05:13:47 pm by DonnyNoel »
Controversial nice guy from me - Dennis Wise. Went on a school trip to London in 94 and the Chelsea players were having a team meeting. He signed every scrap of paper and posed for photos with 50+ kids and chatted for almost an hour with us.

I did spend time with a Rovers player who I thought was a dick but then randomly my brother bumped into him in a nightclub and he recognised my brother from a pitch invasion and bought him a drink so maybe I just caught him on an off day!

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 19, 2012, 05:16:20 pm by DRNaith »
I picked Sean Thornton up in my Taxi once, I think he qualify`s as a d**khead

Are you prepared to offer any evidence, or are you to claim a client confidentiality clause?

johnmagson

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 19, 2012, 05:19:46 pm by johnmagson »
Has to be Roy keane met him coming out the keepmoat when England u/19 played Iceland I think said hello and asked him how he was but just got straight blanked as he got in his car and drove off

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 19, 2012, 05:53:29 pm by ridgewoodrover »
dougie introduced me to dave jones once  in   town had a 5 min chat ,  3    months later  he  saw me  in a  bank in  town. he  came  over &  had  a    good  chat  top   bloke.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 19, 2012, 06:23:24 pm by tommy toes »
I net Richie Wellans at the races. Not a nice bloke.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 19, 2012, 06:41:33 pm by newyankee »
Paul Fletcher, ex Burnley fits into this category. I think he is now CEO at Burnley. When I worked at Huddersfield RLFC, I was made redundant along with the late Brendan Finn and Alex Murphy, being told that I would get my job back under the new regime. Fletcher was the CEO of the McAlpine Stadium and he saw to it that his brother in law got the job I was told would be mine. Not the top of my hit parade.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 19, 2012, 06:45:47 pm by Drover »
I net Richie Wellans at the races. Not a nice bloke.

Don't think I'd be nice to you if you NET me!  ;)

We may get more gossip,if the thread asked,which footballers have you met that were real nice guys.Reason being,that most of the time we meet players,it's because they have been prepared to spare sometime for the community.d**kheads,tend to avoid that or have an high opinion of themselves or are just ignorant,hence rarely met by the average fan.

lewis9111

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 19, 2012, 06:59:48 pm by lewis9111 »
Again not a negative but I always speak to the Donny players on the occasion they're on a night out in Donny, always seem great, although Fairhurst was a bit of a git. Stocky has bought me a few drinks over the last few seasons, very nice guy!

DonnyMark

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 19, 2012, 07:20:54 pm by DonnyMark »
Bumped in to John Oster and Gary Woods in town one night, both of them pissed up whilst injured last season. Oster grabbed the arse of one of the girls in our group as she walked passed, then after that decided to grab my man bits as well,  :ohmy:
 think he then realised he was being a total dick and was fine, after that we ended up having a good chat.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 19, 2012, 08:21:42 pm by MrFrost »
Doolan was a tosser. Got into a bit of an argument with him in a bar once.

Some ex players were great though. Used to bump into and talk to Albrighton frequently. I bought Tonny Neilson a kebab once.
Jermaine Mcsporran lived round the corner from me. He actually lived in the same apartment as I did before me, and was still really friendly when I took a mountain of debt collectors letters round to his new house.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 19, 2012, 08:30:40 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I've never intentionally spoke to a footballer when out and about bar one - Jorg Albertz who I saw in a supermarket up Glasgow way where I lived for a few years around the millenium, top bloke and my favourite ever ginger, loved him as a player for Rangers also.

The only other I've ever spoke to was Dave Mulligan and that wasn't by choice a bigger tosser I would never have met.  He wanted a fight because I wouldn't give him a fag in Walkabout when he approached us for one (problem is I've never smoked so had none), his mates dragged him away he was off his tree.  Typical lad who couldn't handle his drink really, probably a nice bloke when not drunk.  As a 17 year old I was quite surprised a footballer would be out smoking midweek - I soon learnt most do.

bigbadjack

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 19, 2012, 08:51:40 pm by bigbadjack »
Iv met a few rovers players on nights out, used to see Barry miller in hogsheads quite often and he was always good for a chat, had a few pissed up laughs with billy, stocky and hayter, well I thought it was a laugh, they may have been scared of me! And had a pint with Matt mills in walkabout when 2 birds obviously clocked who he was and came over and started chatting to him and they presumed I was a footballer too, when one of them asked me who I played for I replied with I did have a season with Hyde park knights U15... They all soon f**ked me off!!

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 19, 2012, 10:32:02 pm by Al4475 »
BFYP:
"The only other I've ever spoke to was Dave Mulligan and that wasn't by choice a bigger tosser I would never have met."

Interesting that - I had the pleasure of Dave Mulligan's company for the best part of two weeks while out in Oz when he was with the NZ squad in 2003/2004. Thought he was a lovely bloke - we had a right laugh!

Played golf with RO'K, Hayts and Ross Buerberry not too long back and have also bumped into Lewis Guy, Tonny Neilsen, Tim Ryan, Paul Green and Mark Albrighton on the golf course - all lovely blokes especially if you keep away from talking footie.

Sam Hird and Ben Smith were a pleasure to meet and chat with on numerous occasions and Spike Lee is a total gent always happy to receive a text or fb message. Ross McCormack seemed a decent kid too! Macca seemed bewildered when accepting the adulation of us all after games as a MOM at OBV.

Duggie when I met him on the odd occasion in the Benbow was always good for a laugh - suppose the biggest t**t I've met is perhaps surprisingly Mike Jeffrey pissed as a newt in the Eden Arms many moons ago and hurling abuse at the dj cos he wouldn't let him sing Ferry Cross the Mersey and You'll never Walk Alone on the Karaoke after closing time! Heffs could also be a knob pissed up as could Craig Nelthorpe under the influence.

All in all, the footballers I've met seem to have been decent guys, happy to be making a good living at something most of us would've loved to have been given the chance to do!

I suppose it depends when you meet em and what you wanna talk about! Half 12 on a Sat night in Walkabout and you'd probably think they were all arses, Wednesday afternoon on a golf course and they've all been top blokes!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 19, 2012, 11:22:36 pm by Chris Black come back »
It all boils down to the fact that they are no different in background and upbringing to me and thee so think to yourself, how many of your mates act like wazaks when they have had a few pints?

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 20, 2012, 01:45:40 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
When Ben Smith still played for us I used to clean his bins as he lived in the area. He was always fairly friendly despite the fact i'd come round every friday night at 8 knocking on his door asking for money. Wished him luck before he left for Shrewsbury and he thanked me, last I saw of him!

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 20, 2012, 08:21:38 am by ctay »
I will give you two, one ex Rovers player which will come as no surprise but I had the 'pleasure' of his company a couple of times and he is a top class tit, Justin Jackson.

Chris Waddle is also a knob.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 20, 2012, 10:15:57 am by Colin C No.3 »
Ronaldo once borrowed my comb outside a nightclub in Manchester. You should have seen the amount of grease he left on it!

Had a post match drinking session with Dougie when the Golf Club 'belonged' to us, with my two brothers. What a fella!

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 20, 2012, 10:27:11 am by wing commander »
    I can remember once at a fundraising night at our local ,Rovers sent there new signing at the time with some bits and bobs to auction..which was good of them..
    I had a chat with the new signing who told me that "Graham Taylor has told him he had to find another club as he was too technically minded and on a different level to the other players and wouldn't be able to fit in" I got all excited at this thinking we had signed a wonder kid...
    I should have known better even at that age.....Oh the name of the kid James Meara...

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 20, 2012, 11:11:50 am by FuzzyDuck »
Again the pro-footballers I've met have always come over as good guys.

Met Ian Snodin outside Wembley stadium on the glorious day, we had a chat and he signed my program (as did Harry Gration incidently).  Met John Buckley in Rotters the night we beat QPR in 1984 and he was spot on. 

I chat with FC Winterthur players after most games these days and they are all top blokes

Colin Douglas was a pisshead, does that count?  Great bloke mind, I bumped into a few times in the Ridgewood in Edenthorpe

the dons

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 20, 2012, 11:33:54 am by the dons »
The worst after dinner speaker I have ever heard was,

DEAN  SAUNDERS   :chair:

Jim Dobbin

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 20, 2012, 11:34:17 am by Jim Dobbin »
McIndoe. Obvious reasons.

Keith Myath

« Reply #26 on September 20, 2012, 01:04:03 pm by Keith Myath »
McIndoe. Obvious reasons.

Scottish...... Racist  :lol:

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 20, 2012, 01:13:48 pm by 5minstogo »
Some of the nicest were the Roberts brothers, Greeny, Dave Penney, Jacko (thought he was having a nervous breakdown when I was speaking to  him!) Ben Smith and Hirdy I met at DRI when my little un was born, think their other halfs were expecting at the same time

The worst, Lewis Guy and Craig Nelthorpe.

Once met a group of players in a bar in town and had a quick chat and shook hands, Lewis came over just as I was leaving and asked if I wanted to shake his hand so I did the old hand out, then thumb to nose joke.  Thought he was going to explode, the other players found it funny though.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 20, 2012, 01:55:49 pm by IDM »
Away from Doncaster I met David Seaman and Martin O'Neill at a charity cricket match about 20 years ago - all in good spirits and happy to pass the time of day with spectators.  The biggest draw though was Garfield Sobers, however I'velost the autographed programme to the mist of time...

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 20, 2012, 09:38:26 pm by mushRTID »
Lewis guy was a right knob when I spoke to him.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012