Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:43:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: DRFC U/9 v Chesterfield MATCH REPORT  (Read 1491 times)

johnmagson

• Forum Member
DRFC U/9 v Chesterfield MATCH REPORT
« on September 20, 2012, 05:17:45 pm by johnmagson »

Rovers 8 v 4 Chesterfield

Rovers successfully adapted to another new format, as in the third game of the season they played in a 7-a-side game against Chesterfield.

In a high tempo first 5 minutes, Louis Seddons scored a quickfire hat-trick with the third goal coming from a fine individual run. Chesterfield went onto score 3 goals in the first quarter and thanks to Ciaran Brennan it remained 3-3 until Corie Cole and Harry Collins both scored well-struck goals to make it 5-3 going into the 2nd quarter.

Having 13 players on the day allowed Doncaster to completely change the side at each break and the new team came on to show good defensive work and communication. Particular blocks from Lewis Vickerage and Will Barr were key to keeping Chesterfield out. Chesterfield emulated this defensive performance and after another 15 minutes the score remained at 5-3.

After swapping sides again, Rovers passed the ball well and two slick passing moves resulted in Jack Magson working well with Harry Collins who scored to make it 6-3. Good work from Che lead to a few more Doncaster chances before Chesterfield got one back through a fantastic volley to make it 6-4 Rovers going into the last quarter.

The final quarter saw the pace of the game increase with both teams committing players forward to score more goals. Nice play at the back from Joshua Hodgson and Will H lead to a long range curler from Aiden Mullen which slotted in the near post past the goalkeeper. The final goal of the game to make it 8-4 Rovers was a brilliantly taken half-volley from Bradley Charlesworth after a good run and pass by KobyHodder. The goal wrapped up a good performance from Rovers, with a lot of good build-up play and some great strikes. Final score Rovers 8 – 4 Chesterfield.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

lee.j09

• Forum Member
Re: DRFC U/9 v Chesterfield MATCH REPORT
« Reply #1 on September 21, 2012, 08:41:07 pm by lee.j09 »
anyone else agree that kids football is taken to serious??

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 21, 2012, 09:00:42 pm by RobTheRover »
Depends.

In the main, I would agree.  There are certain junior clubs in Doncaster for whom winning is everything.  There are certain coaches at every age group for whom winning is everything.  There are certain kids at every age group for whom winning is everything.

I'm a junior coach (FA Level 1 qualified) with an under 10s side (9 year olds) and the kids themselves are getting more competitive every year.  The coach's problem is that they have to balance this natural will to win that the players start to become aware of at about 8 years old with the requirement to develop them as players.  This summer we have been working a hell of a lot on ball retention, passing backwards if need be, which is a bit alien to some of the kids.  They did it brilliantly the first match of the season and we won 5 - 0, and we asked them if to forget the score and did they enjoy the football, and they all said yes.  They didnt pass anywhere near as well in the second weekend's match and we lost 4-3.  They all knew we didnt pass the ball like we did the weekend before, so thats the aim in training on Saturday morning this week.

We just want them to develop as players and enjoy it.  A few wins along the way are good, but we dont enjoy tonking teams.  The kids dont learn anything really from winning 10-0 every week, a close 2-1 (either way) teaches them an awful lot more

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 21, 2012, 10:59:05 pm by RobTheRover »
Is that aimed at me John, because if it is you have the wrong end of the stick, mate.  No one is criticising in this thread, and I'm sure the vast majority of supporters love it when the youngsters make the step up to the 1st team.

One person asked whether kids football is taken too seriously, thats all.  Your lad sounds like he is doing great and getting the right support to develop.  Other kids arent as lucky and have to carry the aspirations of adults on their young shoulders.  We've had kids playing with us who you know don't want to be there but their dads keep bringing them.  That's taking it too seriously.

The Rovers' Academy teams and Development squads are a very good set up and are very well run.

lee.j09

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 22, 2012, 10:20:37 am by lee.j09 »
the reason i say this is i was talking to a dad about his sons football team (sunday kids league) and he was coming out with comments like 'we need a prolific goal scorer' etc. i mean come on its kids football.

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 22, 2012, 10:28:40 am by Sheepskin Stu »
You always get a handful of people living their football fantasies through their kids.

NathanDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 22, 2012, 09:25:23 pm by NathanDRFC »
A lot of work is taking place regarding youth football. The FA have done a two year youth review, which see's 24 points into the changes. The main ones are the formats of the game, plus periods of competition. Go to the FA website and click on My Football for more details.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012