Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:22:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gary Woods  (Read 2201 times)

Sticky-Rover

• Forum Member
Gary Woods
« on September 22, 2012, 06:35:21 pm by Sticky-Rover »
Very impressed with his improvement this season, made one gaff with a dodgy punch but it at least went away from goal. Maybe could've come out early for the move they did when the Borough guy decided to dive but he learned from that and was off his line quicker near the end.
Long way to go but i reckon he'll save us more than cost us if we give him a run.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:40:48 pm by Sticky-Rover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MiKA

• Forum Member
Re: Gary Woods
« Reply #1 on September 22, 2012, 06:37:41 pm by MiKA »
Got to agree, Woodsy is getting better each game and deserves the recognition   :scarf:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 22, 2012, 06:39:02 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
He's starting to look comfortable now and I have to say if his improvement continues we've a good keeper here.

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 22, 2012, 06:44:29 pm by swain_drfc »
Was going post the same myself. Was a lot lot better today and has been now for a few weeks  :thumbsup:

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 22, 2012, 06:47:01 pm by roversontheup »
Got to agree.  I never thought I would be saying this but I realised at some point in today's game that I no longer go into panic mode when a cross comes into the box that Gary Woods has to deal with. 
Phew what a relief that is!

djoftherovers1

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 22, 2012, 06:47:11 pm by djoftherovers1 »
Thought he did well today apart from one punch when he should have caught it.. As for the other woods my god every pass was short and his effort was shocking, get barnsley rang up and say we have changed our minds

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 22, 2012, 06:49:39 pm by MachoMadness »
I don't know if it's because of the lower quality of opposition putting less pressure on him but I admit he hasn't done much wrong in a while.

However, I still think that we need someone better in if we're going to compete at the top end of this division.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 22, 2012, 06:51:24 pm by Chris Black come back »
Imagine his confidence has finally moved up from rock bottom as a result of actually having defenders playing in front of him, rather than a rotating line up of straw men.

Sticky-Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 22, 2012, 06:52:51 pm by Sticky-Rover »
Thought he did well today apart from one punch when he should have caught it.. As for the other woods my god every pass was short and his effort was shocking, get barnsley rang up and say we have changed our minds

Agreed, he's far too one footed which i think limits his passing options. Maybe not suited as a holding type player
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:01:22 pm by Sticky-Rover »

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 22, 2012, 08:27:35 pm by DRFCSouth »
Gary Woods, at 21, can't be doing that bad.

rtidbelly

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 22, 2012, 09:05:53 pm by rtidbelly »
he is far from a brilliant keeper, but on his performance he is looking like he is coming along nicely. he looked commanding with his handling and decision making, at 21 he looks like a good run could see him turn to a good L1 standard keeper. hes at a good age to improve and people are seeming to be won over by his recent performances. keep it up gary  :scarf:

pubteam

« Reply #11 on September 22, 2012, 09:09:43 pm by pubteam »
Credit where it's due, he's been much better in the past three games. Looks like he's built up confidence since the start of the season.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 22, 2012, 09:10:18 pm by RobTheRover »
He was rock solid at Bumhole Lane on Tuesday too, did everything he had to do including a very good tip over in the first half.  I'm mostly impressed with how he comes and commands his area, even as far as the edge of his 18 yard line to collect loose balls.  Last season he looked as though there was elastic holding him to his goal line, so this is a massive improvement and probably demonstrates his growth in confidence.

DC-

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 22, 2012, 11:55:48 pm by DC- »
Said elsewhere, I noticed that Jones and Quinn in particular seem to be doing a lot of encouragement with him. It's improving his confidence and he's finally starting to mature as a keeper.

Alan_Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 23, 2012, 12:04:42 am by Alan_Rovers »
Still don't rate him. The sooner we have a proper keeper to replace this clown the better. His indecision and inability to catch crosses will cost us sooner or later. This is the most important position we need to be looking at to bring someone in.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 23, 2012, 12:17:28 am by jonnydog »
Still don't rate him. The sooner we have a proper keeper to replace this clown the better. His indecision and inability to catch crosses will cost us sooner or later. This is the most important position we need to be looking at to bring someone in.

b*llocks!

His improvement this season alone is credible to him and his development. He has improved his game all-round.

I (for one) last season felt extremely uncomfortable at every game when his name was announced on the team sheet. But I said at the beginning of the season I was going to give him the first 5-10 games before I pass judgement, and I tell you what, he has developed brilliantly this season and anyone who says we need to get shut now has no sense. At his present young age he will only get better and be a quality to our club.

He made one (small) error today, punching instead of catching. But other than that his performance today, as well as all season, has made me a lot more comfortable in saying I am happy now that he is our number 1, and credit to him for improving his ability (and his confidence), coming from a situation (especially) last season where it would be difficult for ANY new keeper to come in and become our first choice, but to be performing like he is shows a willingness to improve, a true professional.

I was going to put a thread on this whole topic tonight if no-one else did, so its Good to see a posts dedicated to the cause and so many peoples opinion of the lad altering...

... Nice one son!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:28:23 am by jonnydog »

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 23, 2012, 12:54:13 am by Viking Don »
I don't think it was an error to punch that one today, he had a few players around him at the time and although it would have been nice to catch it I think he made the correct decision to punch it, almost every keeper would have done the same. It just wasn't a great punch that's all, but good enough as it turned out.

My opinion of him hasn't really changed, I thought he was a decent keeper but very low on confidence. It makes a huge difference and I hope he's taken a lot from his performances this season so far. I'm no longer having a heart attack at every crap shot thank God.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012