Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:43:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jon Parkin  (Read 4563 times)

GGBluebird

Jon Parkin
« on October 02, 2011, 08:33:06 am by GGBluebird »
Hows Big Jon Parkin doing for you boys ?
I see he had 90 mins yesterday, id never have thought he would last that long.
Can you see Saunders extending the loan and keeping him until January ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
Re: Jon Parkin
« Reply #1 on October 02, 2011, 08:37:06 am by DonnyNoel »
90 minutes yesterday and on Tuesday :)

Very good so far. First game he was a bit isolated and we tended to hoof it towards him but he still put in a defensive shift. Much improved on Tuesday, led the line well for the full 90 and provided the assist. Can't comment on yesterday but came close to scoring by hitting the bar.

As for keeping him its hard to say at the moment, Saunders has already said he's looking for new faces and we've been linked with a couple of strikers in the press lately.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 02, 2011, 08:40:23 am by Wellred »
Well for my money he was MOTM yesterday and could have had a goal when he hit the bar with a great effort.
He is surprisingly good on the ground for a big man.

donnyvikings

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 02, 2011, 08:40:57 am by donnyvikings »
He played well yesterday, and fully deserved the vote of Man of Match. He's a big lad, and defenders don't seem to like him in their 18 yard box! I hope Deano does sort something more permanent, its what we've needed, someone to flick the ball to Sharpy! :rtid:

Berkshire Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 02, 2011, 08:48:00 am by Berkshire Rover »
He got my vote as MOTM yesterday, couldn't believe he was still going at the end, especially in the heat.

Having said that,

I think we will be bringing other players in
We have Chris Brown permanently on the books (when he's fit) to play the same sort of role
Yet to be convinced that we will get the best out of Billy Sharp if he plays with a big target man in the centre

So I wouldn't be tthat surprised if he didn't get the loan extended, which in a lot of ways is a shame, but I guess that's football for you.

Gartom

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 02, 2011, 08:56:29 am by Gartom »
Agreed with your MOM nomination.
He ran,and ran and ran, put himself about and made a real nuisance of himself. Boro defenders will be glad to see back of him!
Pity his curling shot did nt go in....great performance, great leadership up front. 10/10 yesterday !

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 02, 2011, 09:10:11 am by Standanista »
Has done very well.  Hit one yesterday which game down on the line off underside of bar, ran all game, set up the equaliser midweek.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 02, 2011, 09:26:22 am by The Red Baron »
Having been less than impressed with him in the Palace game I think he's been excellent in the last two and it was between him and Sully for man of the match yesterday. Not entirely convinced Parkin and Billy can play together though.

Standanista

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 02, 2011, 09:47:18 am by Standanista »
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=188279
Having been less than impressed with him in the Palace game I think he's been excellent in the last two and it was between him and Sully for man of the match yesterday. Not entirely convinced Parkin and Billy can play together though.

After watching the last three games I've gone from \"play them together\" to \"the jury's still out\".  Billy was out of position yesterday in the 4-5-1 and it definitely didn't work, though his lack of match fitness would have been a factor.  I'd like to see the two of them tried up front together in a 4-4-2.  Something else I think worth trying, however, is a Deano trademark 4-3-3 with either Parkin or Sharp in the middle and Bennett and Lalkovic down the flanks.  That would have opposition defences paying attention.

donnyvikings

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 02, 2011, 01:40:53 pm by donnyvikings »
Hey, I like the thought of the 433 formation! :)  I like Lalkovic's speed, looked good on Saturday, was disappointed not to see Copps give him a run out..............but were not managers, just humble supporters. :scarf:

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 02, 2011, 01:47:32 pm by mushRTID »
Im really impressed with how Parkin brings a high ball under control on the chest.

A few times a high ball has come his way that I expected him to flick on but he's brought it down and layed it off. Deserved a goal yesterday.

A better player than Chris Brown for me. Permanent move?

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 02, 2011, 01:53:03 pm by ditch_drfc »
I was really impressed! Didn't think he'd hack the whole 90 minutes, but he kept on giving until the whistle blew. Really gave a good effort!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 02, 2011, 02:45:02 pm by RedJ »
I'm amazed at how well he seemed to bring the ball under control yesterday too. In the games before that he's played for us, he's had the touch of a rapist, but he actually looked as though he knew how to take a decent touch yesterday.

cdrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 02, 2011, 03:12:49 pm by cdrover »
Having seen the FLS and pausing at the right moment, although its not a great angle, the ball does seem to be over the line. So unlucky with that one I think. Onwards and upwards I say!!

DRFC_TID_93

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 02, 2011, 04:50:09 pm by DRFC_TID_93 »
Watch it on rovers player and pause on 1:28. Clearly over the line

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 02, 2011, 04:57:25 pm by grayx »
Please Deano give the \"beast\" a permanent deal. Just the player we've been needing,a
real handful for defenders & a surprisingly good touch for such a big bloke. Is he really only 29?

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 02, 2011, 05:15:56 pm by Superspy »
Quote from: \"DRFC_TID_93\" post=188372
Watch it on rovers player and pause on 1:28. Clearly over the line

Well I'll be damned, he's right, I've just done it and taken a screenshot, clearly over the line.

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 03, 2011, 11:53:05 am by scuzzer »
Quote from: \"RedJ\" post=188333
I'm amazed at how well he seemed to bring the ball under control yesterday too. In the games before that he's played for us, he's had the touch of a rapist, but he actually looked as though he knew how to take a decent touch yesterday.

I seriously can't believe you watched the Hull game if you think his 1st touch isn't up to scratch, he takes the ball anywhere and it seems under control or nudged off in a useful direction to build play.

I missed the Palace game but thought he was good against Hull and fantastic Saturday, my MOM too. Shame about the shot off the bar, if it was in it would have given him what his efforts deserved on Saturday.

I'd love him in permanently and will always be a better option than Brown IMO.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 03, 2011, 12:21:37 pm by benaldo »
Well, I do seem to remember him passing the ball out from 5 yards of the touchline. Hardly a good first touch is it?

But, I think he's the best target man we've had for 10 or more years. He's, usually, good with the ball at his feet, he's strong, tall, fit (amazingly!), scares defenders, knows all the old tricks, is a try'er, and I think a front two of him and Sharp should have most defences turning to god.

Hope he stays, but it is a weird situation when we already have another player who is very, very similar in Brown. Do you spend more money on Parkin and keep Brown (Who will likely sit on the bench all the time Parkin is here.)?

danum

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on October 03, 2011, 12:52:24 pm by danum »
MOTM for me on Saturday, quiet first half, 2nd half immense, never stopped running in blistering heat, great touch and was convinced the ball went in when I watched FLS on Saturday night - froze it .. and quite clearly over the line as the ball is obscured by post, which given the angle ..

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 03, 2011, 06:14:24 pm by CusworthRovers »
Quote from: \"The Red Baron\" post=188279
Not entirely convinced Parkin and Billy can play together though.

On Saturdays showing that's not wrong. That said, Billy was playing like a 5th midfielder and wasn't really playing off Parkin in the sense of the old fashioned big un and a little un.

I think that frustration showed on Billy who didn't seem savvy with his role, and to be fair, the team were getting battered whilst playing like that, especially with Boyd dropping deep all the time to pick up the ball and dictate play.

I'd like to see Billy and Beast as a traditional front 2 and see what happens. Whatever the outcome, I'm convinced the opposing defenders will certainly have had a game.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012