Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:57:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Will Oster be missed?  (Read 2581 times)

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
Will Oster be missed?
« on October 28, 2011, 07:22:32 am by Donnyjim »
Not on his current form. The way he kept getting brushed off the ball against Leeds and his inability to tackle have been is down fall recently. He also gives the ball away too much. I think that this is an opportunity to get some 'steel' in that midfield (a John Doolan type character). I'm sure that Willie is on championship manager right now, looking for one!   :boxing:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DavTrav

• Forum Member
Re: Will Oster be missed?
« Reply #1 on October 28, 2011, 07:33:28 am by DavTrav »
NO!

Next question ...

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 28, 2011, 08:07:58 am by RobTheRover »
Yes.

Oster gets a bad rap for misplaced passes (no one seems to remember the loads of passes he makes which do go where they are intended) and inability to tackle (I'll concede this point), but remains one of our hardest workers and never goes missing.

Lewis Guys Dentist

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 28, 2011, 08:47:01 am by Lewis Guys Dentist »
Horrendous player. Our weak link. hope Mason comes in and plays well! My opinion like

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 28, 2011, 08:53:01 am by mushRTID »
Great player when used properly.

inSODwetrust

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 28, 2011, 08:59:08 am by inSODwetrust »
I personally am very happy and will not miss him one bit, hopefully Mason will get his deserved chance!

One thing you've got to think of though is we've got a new fitness coach, Mal Purchase, and Oster has never been injured whilst playing for us (I think). Are Mal Purchase' fitness regimes to tough for someone like Oster who is 32 going on 33 (alot of the current squad also, Stock, Sullivan, Naylor, Martis, Wilson, all aged 30+) or is this just a common injury from someone who plays alot of football?

Goldthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 28, 2011, 09:14:03 am by Goldthorpe Rover »
Not if the next match includes any tackles he wont.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 28, 2011, 11:29:37 am by jonnydog »
Has strangely become complacent and has gone down in my estimation for performances this season. It will be interesting to see exactly how we perform with a more solid player in Osters position.

but in answer to OP... No, I dont think he'll be missed in the slightest.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 28, 2011, 11:43:47 am by benaldo »
I've always rated Oster. I think he's been used poorly by SOD though. And now Rovers are faced with a player nearly 33 years old and not sure where he plays on the pitch.
I think he's slowing down a bit, and that lack of pace isn't made good by a tackling instinct is it??! You can't play him on the wing, he can't tackle, so where do you put him? I would be tempted to play him as an attacking midfielder, but in all, I sadly think it's time John thought about hanging up his boots. It's something I didn't want to think as I think he's been a fantastic player for Rovers. If he could tackle then I feel he has a couple more years in him.....but he can't. Shame.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 28, 2011, 12:14:31 pm by RoversAlias »
Quote from: \"RobTheRover\" post=194815
Yes.

Oster gets a bad rap for misplaced passes (no one seems to remember the loads of passes he makes which do go where they are intended) and inability to tackle (I'll concede this point), but remains one of our hardest workers and never goes missing.

Doesn't he? I feel going missing is exactly what he's done in a couple of games recently.

Time will tell if we miss him or not - I tend to think not considering he has been pretty poor almost all season. I will not forget the petulance he showed at Hull in April, booting the ball into the crowd because he was being substituted, even though he had been pretty dire all afternoon.

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 28, 2011, 12:42:18 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Quote from: \"mushRTID\" post=194825
Great player when used properly.

Agreed just loss of form and played out of position...

In the 2nd year in the 2nd tier, when stock was injuried, Woods and Oster formed a great partnership probably the best since joining the championship.

Sadly as Woods has been injuried for most of the last two seasons this never developed.

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 28, 2011, 01:01:54 pm by VivaRovers »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=194853
I've always rated Oster. I think he's been used poorly by SOD though.

In the manner he ressurrected and maintained his career in the second tier you mean? Jesus christ the SOD-bashing has reached new levels of ridiculousness. He'd not played much central midfield before coming to Rovers and at times during his years here he's been our best footballer by a mile.

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 28, 2011, 01:31:18 pm by JonWallsend »
Quote from: \"VivaRovers\" post=194869
I've always rated Oster. I think he's been used poorly by SOD though.

In the manner he ressurrected and maintained his career in the second tier you mean? Jesus christ the SOD-bashing has reached new levels of ridiculousness. He'd not played much central midfield before coming to Rovers and at times during his years here he's been our best footballer by a mile.

Agreed.

The idea that Oster is an horrendous player( Lewis Guys Dentist) is laughable. It might be an opinion but that doesn't detract from the fact that it is totally incorrect.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 28, 2011, 01:45:05 pm by DearneValleyRover »
An on form Oster playing in a dominating midfield yes but unfortunately neither of those have occurred for some time. We need something different. Play Baxendale and Mason it can't be worse and we will learn far more about both of them when they have to show some character because there is no doubting their ability.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 28, 2011, 01:55:02 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Oster clearly flourished under SOD initially, although I believe that Oster was hard done by under SOD towards the end.  Clearly he needs someone to allow him to play and he hasn't had that without Stock and recently Stock himself hasn't done that.  He had to play a role in front of the back 4 that he never should have had, he was always at his best breaking forward.

Recently, he's worked harder than ever but has found it tough.  His injury certainly explains that.  I think Mason is to become the better player and this is Mason's chance which is a big positive.  We should not expect 33 year old Oster to be playing 46 games a season, it's very tough on him and you have to say he's been the one who's always played whatever.  Top attitude IMO you can't fault that in him.  Great to see last week him mis-place a pass and sprint back to win it back.  His effort has 99 percent of the time been first class, only a couple of times has he had stick for it.

DRFCBRADFORD

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 28, 2011, 02:28:05 pm by DRFCBRADFORD »
NO  Wont tackle ,to old and mason far better

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 28, 2011, 02:33:02 pm by MrFrost »
Good riddance. Terrible performances for the last year and a terrible attitude.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 28, 2011, 04:56:46 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I've been a critic of him recently but of all the midfield players at our disposal he's one who's been ever present for the most part, without the likes and Stock and Martin Woods, and therefore he's been the most 'senior' midfielder we have had to rely on.

Expectations then rise and I think for a host of reasons, his form has suffered and may be he could do with a rest.

When you think of our golden midfield diamond of Stock, Wellens, Woods and Copps, Oster was the one to replace Wellens (although different types of players, both can manoever the play around the pitch). The good news is, we may be able to re-unite that diamond at long last, depending on selection preference of course.

I think in tandem with Stock and Bennett, Mason will add so much value. We saw in his first two games of the season he has developed and had it not been for that injury I think he would have been an ever present.

benaldo

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 28, 2011, 07:21:47 pm by benaldo »
\"Re-unite the diamond\"....? No thanks. Gillett is no Wellens, Coppinger is no Coppinger of two years ago, Stock is a shop dummy on a rollerskate, and Woods has had therapy to re-learn what a football is.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 29, 2011, 04:13:55 am by Chris »
I've always rated Oster. I think he's been used poorly by SOD though. And now Rovers are faced with a player nearly 33 years old and not sure where he plays on the pitch.
I think he's slowing down a bit, and that lack of pace isn't made good by a tackling instinct is it??! You can't play him on the wing, he can't tackle, so where do you put him? I would be tempted to play him as an attacking midfielder, but in all, I sadly think it's time John thought about hanging up his boots. It's something I didn't want to think as I think he's been a fantastic player for Rovers. If he could tackle then I feel he has a couple more years in him.....but he can't. Shame.

Retire because he can't tackle...

lol, steady on there Pep!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 29, 2011, 08:07:35 am by The Red Baron »
Quote from: \"benaldo\" post=194971
Stock is a shop dummy on a rollerskate,

Funnily enough, I've never seen one of those hit a thirty-yard screamer like he did at Peterborough.

You do talk some c**p, Benaldo!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012