Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:59:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: So...Where does it stand?  (Read 1956 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
So...Where does it stand?
« on April 21, 2024, 09:28:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I've a dried out husk after that last 15 minutes yesterday. One of the most astonishing experiences ever at a match, but where does it stand.

Hand up from me, I wasn't at Brentford. But for me nothing will or can ever top Stoke in 2003. That was the resurrection of our club after what that Kitson had done to us. I said at the time that winning the Champions League could not top the feelings that day and I stand by that.

But yesterday has to be the best ever experience at a home match.

Crewe in the JPT was a similar comeback, but at the end of the day, the JPT int that much.

Southend in the playoffs had such a massive consequence, but we were so dominant that night it almost wasn't a game.

For the combination of the drama of the moment AND the potential reward AND the fact that the winning streak goes on, yesterday had to be the best ever at a home match.

I said after Stoke that I should stop going because all you'd ever be doing is chasing the hit and you'd never get one to match that again.

But Christ, yesterday was close.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
Re: So...Where does it stand?
« Reply #1 on April 21, 2024, 09:49:06 pm by Draytonian III »
I will always say Stoke because of what it meant, to be back in the League after the vermin tried to kill us. The Southend match was a playoff match so is in a slightly different context, but as a league match at home yesterday is the top, just like Brentford was as an away match. I’ve been lucky I’ve witnessed every “ big” match live over the last 45 years or so and even though we’ve had some pretty crap times days like yesterday totally out weight them

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 21, 2024, 09:56:56 pm by IDM »
I’d throw Boxing Day 2008 at Forest, and the turnaround at Rushden and Diamonds in the first conference season into the mix.  Pivotal points both, especially the latter - if we had lost that day we could have continued on the downward path to oblivion.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 21, 2024, 10:05:41 pm by Donnywolf »
Stoke for me too over and above Leeds

Yesterday was surreal , an I can't believe it experience. It had everything you could ever want and I won't see it's like again and can't think of anything that comes close , not even Dover game

All the crowd were all in , the Manager / Coach combo did the right things at the time they were needed and the players responded in a game that will head into folklore

100% entertainment , drama , stress (lots of stress) excitement , time travel as I returned to 1961, I could go on , as most will know I usually do

It had everything but Stoke for me will never be eclipsed.

Perhaps they have equal status as top dogs but in different categories ? For me they have anyway.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 21, 2024, 10:06:12 pm by Nudga »
THE best game at the Eco Power.

And I must say that this season, the stadium and particularly the South stand has felt like home.
We got to the stadium early and had a couple of beers then made our way up to our usual spot at the top of the stand at 2.15pm.
I just stood there for 5 or 10 minutes in total silence just looking around and taking it all in, watching the stand fill up.
Calm before the storm or what.

Hugging total strangers has never been my thing but f**k me, there were plenty of man hugs when that 3rd went in.

When it's busy, that stadium is electric and I fell in love with it yesterday.

If Grant pulls off the miracle, he will be up there with the legends of this club. He is my favourite manager by far.

Also, this run is good for mine and BSTs fractured relationship haha, long may that continue.

One love.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 21, 2024, 10:16:13 pm by tommy toes »
I’m lucky in that I was at all the games mentioned above yet I thought my jumping up and down like a maniac days were well and truly behind me.
When Biggins headed in that 3rd goal yesterday that theory bit the dust.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 21, 2024, 10:38:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
THE best game at the Eco Power.

And I must say that this season, the stadium and particularly the South stand has felt like home.
We got to the stadium early and had a couple of beers then made our way up to our usual spot at the top of the stand at 2.15pm.
I just stood there for 5 or 10 minutes in total silence just looking around and taking it all in, watching the stand fill up.
Calm before the storm or what.

Hugging total strangers has never been my thing but f**k me, there were plenty of man hugs when that 3rd went in.

When it's busy, that stadium is electric and I fell in love with it yesterday.

If Grant pulls off the miracle, he will be up there with the legends of this club. He is my favourite manager by far.

Also, this run is good for mine and BSTs fractured relationship haha, long may that continue.

One love.

Get off me yer big f**king Jessie.

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 21, 2024, 10:44:11 pm by roversontheup »
Same as most others. Nothing will ever eclipse that win at Stoke but crickey yesterday pushed it close in terms of nerves, excitement and drama. I am so proud of what Grant and the squad have achieved over the last 2+ months. Whatever happens in the next 2 games we have all had a hell of a ride!

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 21, 2024, 10:45:10 pm by pib »
I didn’t think Brentford would ever be topped in terms of pure drama and emotion compressed into the space of one tiny minute. But that feeling when Biggins headed the ball in yesterday was close, and certainly the best at that ground since it opened. Andy Butler at Charlton goes close as well.

Part of me wants to say we need to finish the job and then go up through the play-offs for it to matter as much. Then the other side of my brain tells me that when you get moments like that, it doesn’t really matter about the context that ends up coming after it because it meant so much in that moment.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 22, 2024, 12:00:17 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Great post Pib.

That last paragraph. I've been thinking the same and I've come to the conclusion that it really does matter whether we make the playoffs. If we do, yesterday was monumental and would be the key moment in one of the greatest turnarounds in all football history.

If we don't, it was still a great moment but it wouldn't have meant so much in the end.

Go on lads. Make sure you build on that to make a record in history that no-one can ever take away from you. These chances are very very rare. Grab this one.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 22, 2024, 12:02:14 am by BillyStubbsTears »
PS. Agreed also on that Andy Butler goal. That put him up there in the Pantheon of Rovers Greats. I've never seen a player so impose his will on the opposition at such a crucial moment. He scored that through sheer force of will.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 22, 2024, 12:22:26 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Stoke obviously, particularly on the backdrop of the semis v Chester.

Desperate in the home leg. F*cking McIntyre....then Tristan Whitmans dramatic equaliser...set up for the away leg. Just could not kill them off. Step up Andy Warrington in the penalty shoot out.

We could be forgiven for being emotionally spent but Rovers coasted into a 2-0  lead in the final. What could go wrong now? Jesus wept. Extra time with golden goal at stake. Nothing will ever eclipse that...not only the winning goal but the realisation we were BACK.

I always wonder, if they hadn't introduced the second promotion spot, how long would we have been in the Conference? Doesn’t bear thinking about.

Then think about the JPT semi. Very similar to yesterday..Then the final, very similar to the conference final. 2-0 up and coasting? Ffs!

Since 2003, we do drama very well. And Netflix thinks Wrexham are box office? Pah! 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 12:24:51 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 22, 2024, 12:45:14 am by Bentley Bullet »
Got to be Stoke. That was the rebirth of our football league status.

I remember with fondness our trip down to the Britannia Stadium. The daft bugger in the back of my car had an inflatable referee holding a red card hanging out of the window all of the journey to the game, and driving past a pub with its outside area full of Rovers fans, and sounding the horn to the tune of pap pap, pap pap pap, pap pap pap pap, to which hundreds of fans responded with "ROVERS".

That was a truly surreal experience.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 22, 2024, 01:11:34 am by PDX_Rover »
Driving back to London with my Rovers scarf hanging out the window and seeing loads of fellow Rovers going the same way…. Fantastic.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 22, 2024, 01:12:49 am by PDX_Rover »
Another stand out game. That sweltering hot Saturday at Orient… packed away end. Leo Fortune West… we were back and straight at it.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 22, 2024, 04:59:59 am by Move DRFC »
Brentford for me but Saturday although I wasn’t there as I don’t live in the UK, was very close. Biggins moment - hopefully will remember forever if we go up

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 22, 2024, 06:40:20 am by philsky »
I didn’t think Brentford would ever be topped in terms of pure drama and emotion compressed into the space of one tiny minute. But that feeling when Biggins headed the ball in yesterday was close, and certainly the best at that ground since it opened. Andy Butler at Charlton goes close as well.

Part of me wants to say we need to finish the job and then go up through the play-offs for it to matter as much. Then the other side of my brain tells me that when you get moments like that, it doesn’t really matter about the context that ends up coming after it because it meant so much in that moment.

This is 100% my post too.

Can I add Blundell's second at Mansfield.

At home, Thornton's goal against Villa was a moment.

Afro's winner against Crewe.

Copps' free kick against Southend.

But, Biggo's on Saturday was as close to being the best ever single moment for me at the Ec-Power - i cant find anything in my old memory much better. Andy and me were still hugging anyone close to us after the second goal had gone in and any shred of composure had long since evaporated and It didnt seem 4 minutes when Tom meandered forward, told Rowe exactly where he was passing and what a freeking cross. As someone else said "bedlam".

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 22, 2024, 06:48:15 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Had to go straight to work after the game Saturday. All I could think of on the drive down and whilst on shift was the moment Biggo’s header hit the back of the net.

A feeling like no other. Unreal. You don’t get that on the telly.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 22, 2024, 06:59:32 am by mushRTID »
Saturday was special because my 6 year old was with me. He wasn’t at the others.

Seeing his face when Biggins scored, I don’t think that will ever leave me.

He started coming last season and up until Christmas this season it had been a struggle to get him here.

He literally begged me to go home as Stockport scored their fourth.

But something has clicked with him, he’s been singing Watching Super Donny all week and now asking loads of questions and watching DRFC on YouTube.

Saturday was really special wasn’t it.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 22, 2024, 07:10:21 am by DRFC_AjA »
Got to take Crewe in JPT in cotenxt though. Compared to now or stuff we've achieved it's quite low. But at the time relatively new out the conference, new stadium. The place was rocking and the whole town was out

There's also Dover 5-4 which not many will remember  :woohoo: (not KM I know, but one of my first Rovers games)  :scarf:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 07:19:16 am by DRFC_AjA »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 22, 2024, 07:18:14 am by roversdude »
Brilliant memories on here guys - best game at the Eco for me as it was shared with my lad, he had literally just got into football in Grants first season so we experienced Charlton together a game he often referred to as his best Saturday surpassed that.

Just got to bear in mind my mate missed Saturday due to being in Spain a holiday he booked when we were languishing near the bottom of the table

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 22, 2024, 09:37:19 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I reckon Saturday for the atmosphere and pure grit the team showed is right up there.  Similar to that Charlton away game, which I've said for a few years is one of the top 3 I've been to even though we lost it on the pens, for the same reason, atmosphere and fight.

The drama of Brentford is hard to ever beat clearly, our first win at Wembley was incredible also.

I'll stick another in.  Nottm Forest away in 2008 boxing day.  We were superb that day and it was the turning point for us at that level after a real poor start to that season.  The first game at Derby was a milestone aswell but the Forest game for me was the turning point that made me think we could do it at that level.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 22, 2024, 09:43:45 am by pib »
Great post Pib.

That last paragraph. I've been thinking the same and I've come to the conclusion that it really does matter whether we make the playoffs. If we do, yesterday was monumental and would be the key moment in one of the greatest turnarounds in all football history.

If we don't, it was still a great moment but it wouldn't have meant so much in the end.

Go on lads. Make sure you build on that to make a record in history that no-one can ever take away from you. These chances are very very rare. Grab this one.

You've helped me order my thoughts, that have been all over the place since Saturday, and I agree with you.

Desperate for us to go on and finish the job, and if we do, we will definitely still be talking about Saturday's events in 20, 30 years time, just like we talk about Stoke, Mansfield, Brentford, and supporters older than me talk about QPR etc. Even if we get in the play-offs and win them, that last 10 mins plus added time on Saturday will be THE pivotal moment.

I've also been thinking about the type of goal that Biggins scored and whether that had an impact on the moment, and I think it did. Don't get me wrong, I'd still have gone apeshit if Haks had gone through on goal and rolled another one in, but there's something about the ball hanging in the air, waiting for someone to arrive on the end of it, and then a header crashing into the net that made it even more of a release of emotions IMO.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 09:46:33 am by pib »

TommyC

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 22, 2024, 10:24:37 am by TommyC »
Saturday was special because my 6 year old was with me. He wasn’t at the others.

Seeing his face when Biggins scored, I don’t think that will ever leave me.

He started coming last season and up until Christmas this season it had been a struggle to get him here.

He literally begged me to go home as Stockport scored their fourth.

But something has clicked with him, he’s been singing Watching Super Donny all week and now asking loads of questions and watching DRFC on YouTube.

Saturday was really special wasn’t it.

It was my 6 year old daughter's first ever game so hopefully will live long in her memory for both of us. I'm not sure she was quite ready for the emotional rollercoaster that Saturday turned into. When that second Barrow goal went in, she actually had a few tears! I know how she felt. The people around her were really lovely and soon cheered her up with anecdotes about how this is what watching Rovers is all about etc. First time at a game where i've had to be mature, considered and sympathetic when the Rovers are losing!

As for that second half, it had everything I could have hoped for her first game. Aside from the result which absolutely blew her mind, meeting Donny Dog was a highlight and well done to the club for coming to find her in her seat during the game for photos and to give her a little gift as a first time attendee. It was a little touch that meant all the world to a little girl. And if you were the guy at the back of the South Stand with his shirt off, you caused her much hilarity and I think will be the thing she remembers the most!

It's up there with Chester, Stoke, Leeds games for me. A bit different doing it with a young-un in tow, but it was genuinely wonderful being able to share those moments with her like my old man did with me a few decades ago.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 22, 2024, 10:30:25 am by drfchound »
Great post Pib.

You've helped me order my thoughts, that have been all over the place since Saturday, and I agree with you.

Desperate for us to go on and finish the job, and if we do, we will definitely still be talking about Saturday's events in 20, 30 years time, just like we talk about Stoke, Mansfield, Brentford, and supporters older than me talk about QPR etc. Even if we get in the play-offs and win them, that last 10 mins plus added time on Saturday will be THE pivotal moment.

I've also been thinking about the type of goal that Biggins scored and whether that had an impact on the moment, and I think it did. Don't get me wrong, I'd still have gone apeshit if Haks had gone through on goal and rolled another one in, but there's something about the ball hanging in the air, waiting for someone to arrive on the end of it, and then a header crashing into the net that made it even more of a release of emotions IMO.

I remember once listening to Pele talking about headed goals and saying they are the most beautiful goals in football.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 22, 2024, 11:05:34 am by Jonathan »
Whitman’s equaliser in the play offs is a real stand out for me. Hard to explain but as a moment it even topped Stoke, which all felt a bit overwhelming. Likewise Wembley. The Andy Butler goal at Charlton was right up there too!

Sadly I still wasn’t feeling well enough to be there on Saturday but I can totally relate to the feeling for everyone that was. I must have watched it back a thousand times. I’m going to get to Gillingham no matter what!

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 22, 2024, 11:12:38 am by acacia94 »
Youre right Jonathan! Slims late equaliser that first leg against Chester was mega momentum. It was all slipping away really and it wiped the grin right off Mark Wrights face.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 22, 2024, 11:19:30 am by DMnumber4 »
Got to take Crewe in JPT in cotenxt though. Compared to now or stuff we've achieved it's quite low. But at the time relatively new out the conference, new stadium. The place was rocking and the whole town was out

There's also Dover 5-4 which not many will remember  :woohoo: (not KM I know, but one of my first Rovers games)  :scarf:

That Dover comeback showed that the club had a pulse; albeit a faint one.

Remember a mini pitch invasion after that one and keeping hold of the Green Un match report for many a year.

donnyfan2

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 22, 2024, 11:33:14 am by donnyfan2 »
Agreed its up there, I was fortunate enough to go to Stoke, Cardiff and Wembley but for me its one of the best home games.
Amazing when you think how poor we were, Grant and Cliff have done a great job, just hope we can hold on to them.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 22, 2024, 11:34:19 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Great post Pib.

Last paragraph again Pib. I couldn't agree more.

I was reading somebody online a few weeks ago, who was musing on why football is THE most popular sport globally by far.

He reckoned it was due to the consequence of there being so few goals scored. As a result, a) matches are often very tight, even if there's a big gulf between the teams on basic ability, b) the outcome of matches hinges on a few key moments and c) tiny variations in luck and technique have huge consequences.

He reckoned the combination of those aspects meant that football was the closest sport to what we experience in our personal lives. The people who win through aren't necessarily the most talented. The success or failure of your life often hinges on key moments and decisions, like being in the right place at the right time to get the job that sets you off in a different direction, or meet that life partner who changes your life.

I think there's a lot in that - certainly the rarity of goals in football makes each one special and the big one at the right moment becomes overwhelming. Let's be reyt. You're not getting celebrations like Satdi at a basketball match are you?

Regarding the specific type of goal that Biggins scored, the brilliant author Bill Buford summed it up in Among the Thugs 30-odd years ago. He was an American living in Cambridge when he got bitten by the football bug. He vividly described the feeling of being on the terrace at Cambridge United and seeing a goal scored. He spent half a page describing the moment between a chance being created and the net rippling, and how time stands still and the rest of the universe becomes irrelevant for that moment. You hold your breath and wait to explode or be deflated.

He called it "Dead Time".

That was exactly the feeling when the cross left Rowe's boot and you noticed Biggins steaming in unmarked. Everything else in the world is irrelevant for that moment. It doesn't happen in any other sport.

Maybe that's a part of why Stoke can never be beaten, because we won it with a similar moment of Dead Time and it was a Golden Goal situation. If you think about that aspect in the overall context of what that game meant to us, it's just not possible to top it.

At Home With the Wrexhams. Get f**ked.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012