Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 02:18:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: This reminds me of so many...  (Read 1107 times)

kentrover

This reminds me of so many...
« on April 21, 2024, 09:40:24 pm by kentrover »
Hi everyone, Ive been on this forum for 20+ years but not really posted anything because I live in Kent and cant get to many matches.

But this is momentous!

A story. A long sory but stick with it! But excuse my memory.

I first went to Old Belle Vue i think in 1975 (1-1) with my uncles brother in law. I had been to Elland Road in 1974 for Leeds-Newcastle (1-1) with another uncle but what bit me was Donny. I saw a few others but cant really remember them as I was still 12.

A mate and i went to the Boxing Day thrashing by Lincoln 2-4 - they were very good - but I thought this was my team. So a mate, Mick Williams, and i went down every match day to that small supporters' club door to pester Ken Avis to let us sell Golden Goal tickets. No bugger off! Then he relented because we we kept turning up. My mum live off Town Moor Avenue so it was a short walk for me. Mick had to come down fron from Wheatley.

So, we got the gig. I got the gate at the corner of the pop stand and the cowshed. And always got winners, And the were great. we got a penny a ticket sold (200-300 on a good day) and got in free and people often gave me a 50p tip next week if they'd won the previous. Happy days!

So didn't miss a home match for 5 years to 18 years old and going to university.

But back to the original point about yesterday's match.

The best games I ever saw in my era was the 4-1 against Huddersfield on a Friday night when a got sacked from a play i was supposed to be rehearsing at Danum, the 2-1 v Hull before we got Spurs in the quarters (?), the 1-0 v QPR, and then the 2-0 (?) v Cambridge when we got promoted.

Then the boys were born in 1996 and 1999 (my mum still lives in Donny) and i took them early on when we were up there, and they became hooked.

I had to warn them that people (nearly me) hadnt seen this success for 50 years - then they beat Leeds!

Since then my eldest has taken his mates to Arsenal for the cup match and they all look out for Donny! Retro Donny tops et al.

Saddled for life. Sorry sons.

But I wouldn't swap iit.

Kent Rover

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: This reminds me of so many...
« Reply #1 on April 21, 2024, 09:45:50 pm by RobTheRover »
When it's in your blood, that's it. No getting off the roller-coaster.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 21, 2024, 09:52:34 pm by Draytonian III »
Local game for Kent Rover on Saturday

kentrover

We
« Reply #3 on April 21, 2024, 09:58:50 pm by kentrover »
So true. I've got my mum here in Kent and she still laughs when i say we about DRFC. LI left Donny in 1981.  :scarf: :scarf:

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 22, 2024, 01:51:25 am by Silkscarf »
Great to read KR. You probably sold me quite a few golden goal tickets as I always went in that corner, then trudged along the ash to my spot against the wall. Never won though.

Does anyone still have a golden goal ticket from those days? In my memory they were a lilac colour and that rough cheap paper. Maybe sometimes orange or green too. One for the club museum anyway. I remember tearing those edges and opening it up - quite exciting when you’re 10!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 01:54:42 am by Silkscarf »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 23, 2024, 07:08:57 am by dickos1 »
I live in Leeds, my ten year old lad is obsessed with football. I always thought it would be a struggle getting him into DRFC, when all his mates are Leeds fans.
But he is absolutely in love with drfc, obsessed with the club, he sits in his room watching old you tube clips about the club for hours upon hours.
He’s not had much to cheer about over the last 4 years or so since he’s been into it, saturday was the first real bit of ‘success’ he’s witnessed.
The photos attached are his reaction to the 3rd goal,
The lad has the bug!

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 23, 2024, 08:16:27 am by Pancho Regan »
Brilliant Dickos!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 23, 2024, 08:22:14 am by hoolahoop »
So true. I've got my mum here in Kent and she still laughs when i say we about DRFC. LI left Donny in 1981.  :scarf: :scarf:

Just love stories like yours kentrover if and when Rovers gets hold of your heart it doesn't matter how far away you move - it will always remain so.
Its not a fickle choice that many have for the Premiership flavour of the month but the love of your life it has to be as we only have brilliant but fleeting success.
How many supporters of other clubs have had the big days out at national stadia and most of the Premiership/ Championship grounds in the last 75 years.
I still want to see Rovers play in Old Trafford though.....there's time yet given another good cup run.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 23, 2024, 09:36:22 am by ravenrover »
Are ypu sure he's yours Lee? He's got hair :-]]

LongbridgeMGRoverreturns

« Reply #9 on April 23, 2024, 12:06:28 pm by LongbridgeMGRoverreturns »
Aye up everyone.

It's been a while since I last posted. But this Rovers thing is like a virus that lasts a lifetime.

It is always there, dormant, and then it comes back like cold sores.

I am going to Gillingham with Mrs longbridgemgrover, and two grown up kids who have been brought up properly to support the Rovers.

I have been working in China for nearly 2 months and have been tuning in to see scores and match reports at 4 o'clock in the morning and not believing what I see.

And it all came flooding back....

Liverpool 2 Doncaster Rovers 2 and the packed home reply on a weekday afternoon due to power cuts.

The last game in the Football League. Heartbreaking.

Last game at Belle Vue

John Ryan's giddy rollercoaster.

Millennium Stadium,  beating Leeds at Wembley.

But Kent Rover and I share a common career path, as I too was a Golden Goal ticket seller, usually in the main stand, back in the 70s.

For those who don't remember, the prize went to the ticket whose time was nearest the first goal. Occasionally each seller would be given the special 0-0 draw ticket but was sworn to secrecy, as these were quite likely to get a prize!!!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 12:11:21 pm by LongbridgeMGRoverreturns »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 23, 2024, 03:15:55 pm by dickos1 »
Are ypu sure he's yours Lee? He's got hair :-]]

I did too when I was 10!
He’s not got a lot to look forward to follically

TinyPortal © 2005-2012