Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 01:26:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: My take on last night  (Read 1252 times)

The Shining Light

• Forum Member
My take on last night
« on March 24, 2010, 06:10:26 pm by The Shining Light »
Last night was the game everyone had looked for at the start of the season, it was always going to be a big game but we never envisaged going into the game as play off contenders at the start of the season.

Radio Sheffield was on the air waves as usual on the way to the game and we heard Copps and Jet would miss out, we also already knew of the bust up in the training camp in the North East, what action if any would Hughton take? Carroll played, whether that was the right or wrong decision it turned out to be match winning. As expected it was a near sell out at the Keepmoat, why oh why do we never see these fans at not even one more game per season?

It was probably the first time this season at home where we haven't had the most of possession for the first 15 minutes but even so we handled it well. Rovers eventually got into the game and started to look lively, Rovers were unfortunate not to win a free kick around 30 - 35 yards out after Billy Sharp was pulled back after being put through, it wasn't a sending off, I'm not asking the Ref to do that, but a freekick would of sufficed; needless to say it didn't come. Sharp went on to miss a fairly routine chance considering the season he's had and it would prove costly. Sharp had another shot on the angle and Hayter just failed to win the follow up to the rebound with the defender. Although Rovers had taken a while to get going they deserved a first half lead.

The second half began and so did Rovers, usually slow to get going after half time we were quick out the blocks and quickly up to our tempo. So far we had not missed Copps too much as Hayter was working very hard linking up and Oster was having a great game against Newcastles supposedly top of the table midfield including Guthrie. Again Rovers were not making too many chances but were managing to retain the ball except for when Martis released rocket propelled balls up long. Just inside his own half Mark Wilson misplaced a pass, Carroll (I think) intercepting and running on to goal before poking past Sully who stayed on his line rather than come out a little and close the angles off. Delerium in the away end insued as the Geordies breathed a huge sigh of relief, they did not deserve the lead and they knew it.

Letting the first goal in was always going to signal a hard battle and with 20 minutes to go Newcastle were quite happy to sit back and soak up the pressure. Rovers thought they had got back into the game when Sharp bundled in, however the linesman ruled it offside, of course he did, Newcastle must be aided if needed to beat Doncaster in all circumstances. The final minutes ticked by and it was clear Rovers would not score.

A great shift was worked by all Rovers players including Wilson, he's has a good last 3 or 4 games and it's a real shame we gave the game away like that, the anti Wilson mob don't need any more grenades like the one he gifted them last night to get on his back, I thought the boo-ing from the so called WSBA was ridiculous, you guys call yourself supporters, b*llocks.
It was right to drop JET, based on the last two performances last night wasn't a game for him.

Sharp will no doubt rue that miss and most Rovers fans will look at the referee for an excuse as well, the man who won the day yesterday was Hughton, his decision to play Carroll will live on, the total lack of discipline shown will no doubt rear its ugly head one day; the bloke has previous and I'm sure busting Taylors jaw, a fellow geordie will not be the last incident. Carroll should not have been anywhere near the Keepmoat last night.

A disappointing night result wise but performance wise, without sounding like SOD we were amazing, heads can't drop after this, we will finish in the top half, one thing which sums up last night was if thats the best the Championship has to offer, this is a very average league.

To John Ryan, thank you for giving us the opportunity to host Newcastle in a league game, the ride has been like no other football club will ever experience, and it shows no sign of ending just yet.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012