Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:01:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 904962 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #12810 on July 19, 2021, 07:55:26 pm by drfchound »
Good to see on the news that 85% of public transport users still opted to wear masks.
The message to be respectful of others might have hit home.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12811 on July 19, 2021, 08:15:15 pm by dickos1 »
Dickos
That reasoning has sweet FA to do with my post.

Prof Semple us talking about where to target limited capacity. I'm more than happy to listen to him on that. But that's a totally different question to the one I was addressing.

Regardless of your reasoning, you’re making the point that the government are wrong and should be vaccinating minors.
Prof semple is making the point along with WHO that it doesn’t make sense to vaccine minors yet

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12812 on July 19, 2021, 08:28:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No undercurrent of that in my post Ldr. I'm saying that if you look at the big picture, vaccination is likely to be in teenagers' best interests.

But feel free to read what you like into my post. You usually do.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12813 on July 19, 2021, 08:28:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Dickos

Prof Semple us talking about where to target limited capacity. I'm more than happy to listen to him on that. But that's a totally different question to the one I was addressing.

Regardless of your reasoning, you’re making the point that the government are wrong and should be vaccinating minors.
Prof semple is making the point along with WHO that it doesn’t make sense to vaccine minors yet

Yeah, I can accept that.

Now, about this 1200/60 sum.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12814 on July 19, 2021, 08:40:45 pm by albie »
I thought that the WHO were saying that vaccines should be donated to poorer countries to speed up their resilience, instead of vaxxing everyone in the west.

That is a perfectly reasonable position, but if we are NOT doing that, then we are talking about how we give priority at home.

I have not seen what Semple said, but it could relate to this, or refer to priority if there is a supply shortage.

I do not remember seeing this as a recommendation from the whole group, in the Sage minutes.
There are often a variety of opinions within such a group, the overall position is the consensus.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12815 on July 19, 2021, 08:53:15 pm by Filo »
Also from the press conference - 60% of those in hospital have had two vaccine doses

Now been corrected, 60% are unvaccinated

https://twitter.com/uksciencechief/status/1417204235356213252?s=21

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #12816 on July 19, 2021, 08:55:24 pm by Nudga »
He also gave a detailed explanation as to why having more double vaccinated people in hospital was to be expected to justify the statistic.
I smell bullshit

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12817 on July 19, 2021, 08:56:15 pm by albie »
Also from the press conference - 60% of those in hospital have had two vaccine doses
he also said that would be expected

Patrick Vallance has corrected what he said earlier at the press conference;
https://twitter.com/uksciencechief/status/1417204235356213252

Fair play to him for putting it right.
Easy to get derailed when the PM is talking complete shite next door.

Bozo seems to think he can unlock nightclubs, where the least vaxxed group meet, then try to close the stable door at the end of September when it will be far too late.

Unreal!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #12818 on July 19, 2021, 09:05:49 pm by Filo »
he also said that would be expected

Patrick Vallance has corrected what he said earlier at the press conference;
https://twitter.com/uksciencechief/status/1417204235356213252

Fair play to him for putting it right.
Easy to get derailed when the PM is talking complete shite next door.

Bozo seems to think he can unlock nightclubs, where the least vaxxed group meet, then try to close the stable door at the end of September when it will be far too late.

Unreal!

The problem now is that first information has gone around the world several times, most won’t see that correction on twitter, surely they should have someone proof viewing these updates to make sure the correct information is given out, that is a monumental “error”

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12819 on July 19, 2021, 09:26:54 pm by dickos1 »
Dickos

Yeah, I can accept that.

Come on billy you’re better than that,

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12820 on July 19, 2021, 09:31:04 pm by dickos1 »
I thought that the WHO were saying that vaccines should be donated to poorer countries to speed up their resilience, instead of vaxxing everyone in the west.

That is a perfectly reasonable position, but if we are NOT doing that, then we are talking about how we give priority at home.

I have not seen what Semple said, but it could relate to this, or refer to priority if there is a supply shortage.

I do not remember seeing this as a recommendation from the whole group, in the Sage minutes.
There are often a variety of opinions within such a group, the overall position is the consensus.

From WHO’s chief scientist

Dr Soumya Swaminathan

So the reason that today, WHO is saying that vaccinating children is not a priority is because children, though they can get infected with Covid-19 and they can transmit the infection to others, they are at much lower risk of getting severe disease compared to older adults. And that is why when we started prioritizing people who should get the vaccination when there are limited supplies of vaccines available in the country, we recommend that we start with health care workers and frontline workers who are at very high risk of exposure to the infection.

Also, elderly, the people who have underlying illnesses that make them at high risk to develop severe disease and start with those groups, protect them first, because we want to reduce the death rates that we are seeing today globally and then gradually come down age-wise in the population till we get to children. And again, while there may be some children who are at higher risk of getting the severe disease because of some underlying illnesses or vulnerabilities or comorbidities, those children potentially could be prioritised for vaccines when they become available.

But children as a group form a much lower priority group. 

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12821 on July 19, 2021, 09:32:13 pm by wilts rover »

Thanks Filo

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #12822 on July 19, 2021, 09:34:20 pm by 5minstogo »

How can he get this so wrong? He even explained the reasoning behind his original statement. Its not like he "misspoke". Jeez

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12823 on July 19, 2021, 09:52:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Dickos

Yeah, I can accept that.

Come on billy you’re better than that,

Maybe. But it would be useful if people addressed facts rather than casting unretracted doubt on them when the facts are clear.

On which subject, I see the BBC Health Correspondent has corrected himself in his latest piece and now says the vaccination programme has reduced the number of people dying per infection by a factor of 10, rather than the 60 he was previously saying, or the 160 that Javid claimed. Still a bit of an over exaggeration of the actual number but at least it's in the right area. It does indicate that we are heading back to daily deaths in the 100s next month though. Which emphasises the need for us all to be sensible.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:55:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12824 on July 19, 2021, 09:54:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

How can he get this so wrong? He even explained the reasoning behind his original statement. Its not like he "misspoke". Jeez

I suspect he's been given incorrect notes and has winged it to explain what looked like a strange fact. It happens. It's a pretty bad one for his team to get wrong but the odd mistake is inevitable. If this was a plot to deceive, it's a pretty amateurish one.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12825 on July 19, 2021, 10:10:37 pm by bpoolrover »
Really interesting from Preston hospital today, bad news is there as busy as they have been since the start of the year, better news is 68 percent of patients have had no jabs 25 one 7 have had 2 jabs, don't we just wish people would have there bloody jabs

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12826 on July 19, 2021, 10:23:32 pm by SydneyRover »
Bit silly that of the Aussies seen as their vaccine roll our has been so dreadful

dumb government that doesn't see the benefits of locking down when there is a breakout dockos

Redandwhite

• Forum Member
« Reply #12827 on July 19, 2021, 10:47:48 pm by Redandwhite »
Really really don't like the fact they are now requiring proof of 2 vaccines before you go clubbing.
Does anyone really think they will stop there ?

Interesting how they are using the clubbing as the first thing for this proof of vaccination, just like it being the last thing to re open, perhaps it's the thing they feel gives the least opposition. 

It's effectively forcing vaccinations, if you want to continue a normal life .

12 months ago, if anyone said this was going to happen, they would be branded a conspiracy theorist .

Feels a bit like we're living in a sinister orwellian dystopia .

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12828 on July 19, 2021, 10:57:49 pm by SydneyRover »
they'll be bringing dance cards back next

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12829 on July 19, 2021, 11:10:42 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Cummings is firing off again.

Says he has text messages from last October with Johnson saying lockdowns don't work, only over 80s were dying, he didn't buy the over-stretched NHS line, economy comes first etc. No10 been asked for a response and haven't denied any of it.

And the really explosive one. Cummings claims Johnson was on the verge of going to see the Queen on 18 March last year at a time that loads of Downing Street staff had COVID. Cummings says he had to stop Johnson from going. No10 denies it but Kuenssberg reckons other Johnson advisers have confirmed it happened.

Watch this space.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12830 on July 19, 2021, 11:22:22 pm by SydneyRover »
bp

''oh dear hopefully won't last to long for you, clearly your government has done a good job in dealing with the virus, do you think that you will get a big enough vaccine uptake to keep the numbers down when you open air travel back up or will they just wait until the numbers are low throughout the world?''

they did a good job of containing the virus all except in care homes which was an unnecessary disaster (is there ever a necessary disaster) much squabbling between state and federal governments, the federal government relied too much on too few vaccine suppliers so we are jammed without enough supply and the roll-out (termed stroll out) for the AZ vaccine of which we have plenty has been botched.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #12831 on July 19, 2021, 11:24:15 pm by Ldr »

Says he has text messages from last October with Johnson saying lockdowns don't work, only over 80s were dying, he didn't buy the over-stretched NHS line, economy comes first etc. No10 been asked for a response and haven't denied any of it.

And the really explosive one. Cummings claims Johnson was on the verge of going to see the Queen on 18 March last year at a time that loads of Downing Street staff had COVID. Cummings says he had to stop Johnson from going. No10 denies it but Kuenssberg reckons other Johnson advisers have confirmed it happened.

Watch this space.

Forgive me, but what the actual f**k is explosive about that? Yet another nothing to see here story

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12832 on July 19, 2021, 11:28:39 pm by SydneyRover »

Watch this space.

It all fits with what's happening, reluctance to act, disregard for personal safety and welfare of the population, ignoring scientific advice ................

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12833 on July 19, 2021, 11:39:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Watch this space.

Forgive me, but what the actual f**k is explosive about that? Yet another nothing to see here story

So you've not heard the epidemiologists saying that the mismanagement last Autumn almost certainly made the second wave far worse than it should have been?

And you haven't seen the advice from SAGE that we should have acted far sooner last Autumn? Advice that Johnson refused to take?

10s of thousands of avoidable deaths and a far longer and more damaging lockdown than we could have had and that's "nothing to see"?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #12834 on July 19, 2021, 11:40:53 pm by Ldr »
Dickos

Yeah, I can accept that.

1200 deaths against 60000 infections is 50 infections per death. Or a rate of 2% should you want to look at it that way.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12835 on July 19, 2021, 11:44:52 pm by albie »

From WHO’s chief scientist

Dr Soumya Swaminathan

So the reason that today, WHO is saying that vaccinating children is not a priority is because children, though they can get infected with Covid-19 and they can transmit the infection to others, they are at much lower risk of getting severe disease compared to older adults. And that is why when we started prioritizing people who should get the vaccination when there are limited supplies of vaccines available in the country, we recommend that we start with health care workers and frontline workers who are at very high risk of exposure to the infection.

Also, elderly, the people who have underlying illnesses that make them at high risk to develop severe disease and start with those groups, protect them first, because we want to reduce the death rates that we are seeing today globally and then gradually come down age-wise in the population till we get to children. And again, while there may be some children who are at higher risk of getting the severe disease because of some underlying illnesses or vulnerabilities or comorbidities, those children potentially could be prioritised for vaccines when they become available.

But children as a group form a much lower priority group. 

Thanks for that, Dickos, it backs up what I thought they meant.

As the UK are not passing on vaccines to the developing world in large amounts at present, it still leaves the question of how the UK should allocate resources inside the country.

What do you reckon...who should get it next?

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #12836 on July 19, 2021, 11:46:44 pm by Ldr »
To whoever wants it Albie, without coercion

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12837 on July 19, 2021, 11:49:12 pm by albie »
Agreed Ldr, including adolescents in my view.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12838 on July 20, 2021, 06:46:46 am by SydneyRover »
bugger, just when I was starting believe in him too.

''Scientist casts doubt on validity of Boris Johnson’s ‘workplace pilot’''

''Deeks, a professor of biostatistics at the University of Birmingham, speaking in a personal capacity said: “Without a control group what is this [workplace] study going to tell us? The question is also: what is the status of this alleged secret study which none of us knew about? It should have a name, a protocol, and approval from Public Health England’s ethics committee.

“Part of the problem is that the Department of Health have been quite secretive about their studies. They are just not transparent.”''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/19/scientist-casts-doubt-on-validity-of-boris-johnsons-workplace-pilot

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #12839 on July 20, 2021, 07:40:38 am by Nudga »
Valance didn't miss-speak. Here's his explanation of 60% double jabbed in hospital.

Why the f**k would he then correct himself on twitter?

https://twitter.com/AlgorithmBeat/status/1417179789320986625?s=19

TinyPortal © 2005-2012