Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 12:08:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Atmosphere again  (Read 32374 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Atmosphere again
« Reply #90 on February 04, 2014, 11:06:37 am by GazLaz »
Can I be the man they have in Europe that stands at the front of the stand with a megaphone. A hype man you may call him if you are down with the kids. I'd love it. "Oggy oggy oggy......".

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on February 04, 2014, 11:14:28 am by Jenny »
Don't really see the merits in arguing the toss over how many Barnsley took to Hillsborough, very little bearing on us.

For what it is worth I was in the East Stand on Saturday above the Boro fans and I couldn't hear the South Stand and I couldn't hear the West Stand either. Obviously the acoustics aren't that bad as if they were the South Stand wouldn't be able to hear the North Stand, which leads me to belive that there is a clear need for having the singers congregated rather than dotted around.

This subject has been done to death for several years now, and if I am honest, I can't see it changing anytime soon. Too many people who don't want to move or compromise. I wish the club would just make some kind of decision and if it goes down badly with some, tough shit. People need to man up and see the bigger picture. They are never going to please everyone but the minority will get over it (I hope).

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on February 04, 2014, 11:24:16 am by Colin C No.3 »
I won't be too happy if I can't keep my seat in the north end of the west stand. There's a fairly large chunk around us that's season tickets and some have been in the same seats for years. It's not just young lads either as most of us are mid/late forties. Unallocated seating won't be popular but if it's stick to your seat then go for it. The lads at the back are good entertainment.

Then with your intransigence it won't ever happen. You said you like to listen.......how about joining in all of you . That's what is wrong with our supporters ; generally older one's either want to listen and not contribute or think they are a damned nuisance and what the hell are they doing actually singing/chanting at a footy game.
I despair. !!

Don't generalise fella.

I'm a season ticket holder in the West Stand (sat not far from 'our choirists' next to the away fans), I'm 59 in March, have a tracheostomy & still I sing/chant/shout with the best of 'em even though the majority around me don't choose to (& their ages range from kids through to 20's, 30's 40's).

It's how I get rid of all the 'angst' that builds up through my week. It's therapeutic yes, but it's my way of being involved with the game without pulling the boots on!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on February 04, 2014, 02:13:16 pm by Filo »

For what it is worth I was in the East Stand on Saturday above the Boro fans and I couldn't hear the South Stand and I couldn't hear the West Stand either. Obviously the acoustics aren't that bad as if they were the South Stand wouldn't be able to hear the North Stand, which leads me to belive that there is a clear need for having the singers congregated rather than dotted around.

This subject has been done to death for several years now, and if I am honest, I can't see it changing anytime soon. Too many people who don't want to move or compromise. I wish the club would just make some kind of decision and if it goes down badly with some, tough shit. People need to man up and see the bigger picture. They are never going to please everyone but the minority will get over it (I hope).

The club seem happy to allow those with Season Tickets for the other stands to exchange for a West Stand ticket, at least for the Barnsley trial. (We're pending confirmation on this on Wednesday)

What we do need is some older / wiser heads to join us for the Barnsley match, I don't want this to be dominated by teenagers as they have a habit of not knowing where to draw the line. Where have the 20/30 year old blokes gone from the Pop Stand?

They're now 30/40 year old blokes :)

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on February 04, 2014, 02:23:04 pm by Jenny »

The club seem happy to allow those with Season Tickets for the other stands to exchange for a West Stand ticket, at least for the Barnsley trial. (We're pending confirmation on this on Wednesday)

What we do need is some older / wiser heads to join us for the Barnsley match, I don't want this to be dominated by teenagers as they have a habit of not knowing where to draw the line. Where have the 20/30 year old blokes gone from the Pop Stand?

I think your issue is the people already in the West Stand not those moving to it.

I have it on authority from someone on FB that my ST seat falls within the trial area for the Barnsley game, I rarely sit there as the people around me make my blood boil... if the whole area is typical of the people who sit directly around me I think it will mainly fall on its arse because they won't welcome rowdy people moving in and standing up!

On the subject, my gran attends the football, in said area, those seats were chosen as it means she can access her seat with relative ease given that she is disabled (straight up in the West Stand lift and a few steps to the seat). She can't really stand up at matches and she sits where she does as her eyesight isn't the greatest and it means she can see both goals clearly rather than sitting at one end and struggling to see another.

Here is one for you, is it fair to ask her to vacate her seat because if lots of people come and stand etc she won't be able to and won't see the match?

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on February 04, 2014, 02:28:58 pm by Wild Rover »
To be honest I don't remember many "vocal" supporters attending DRFC games in all the years I have watched them ( 1960 to date ). Maybe the odd match at BV when "Big" teams visiting, but nothing over a sustained period.
"Archie" had a gang of maybe 100 "Vocalists" at BV, but that was all, hardly earth shattering noise, so, cant see that putting together 1 - 200 singers ( and that's what it would be ), will make much difference.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on February 04, 2014, 02:45:07 pm by River Don »
I agree Sad,

At Belle Vue there was a recognised space for singers at the back on the halfway line of the pop stand. We don't yet have a recognised space in the Keepmoat.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on February 04, 2014, 02:49:21 pm by Filo »
To be honest I don't remember many "vocal" supporters attending DRFC games in all the years I have watched them ( 1960 to date ). Maybe the odd match at BV when "Big" teams visiting, but nothing over a sustained period.
"Archie" had a gang of maybe 100 "Vocalists" at BV, but that was all, hardly earth shattering noise, so, cant see that putting together 1 - 200 singers ( and that's what it would be ), will make much difference.

Perhaps it's rose tinted glasses but I remember the atmosphere being far better in the Pop Side at BV during the early conference years than it's been in the South Stand at the 'moat since we moved.

100/200 dedicated singers in one section would make a massive difference, this is Motherwell, a team that is averaging crowds of 5200.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8iC1Yf6h84" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8iC1Yf6h84</a>

Why aren't we matching that level of noise / singing? My best guess is the fragmented nature of our support and a ground that's half empty most games. Obviously we haven't managed the move from BV very well and this is the result. It CAN be fixed.

I believe it can be fixed, relocation won't solve the problem alone, in my opinion it needs dedication and persistence as well, it won't happen overnight, the hardcore singers need to keep it going for the full 90 minutes not sporadic 5 minutes here and there, if the 20 or 30 can keep it going then you'll probably find that 20or 30 will soon become 50 or 60, keep it up game after game and that 50 or 60 starts to become 100 to 150, and so on. Persistence is the key and not getting disheartened if it doesn't grow as quickly as you would like, people will eventually lose their inhibitions if the guy next to them starts making some noise

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on February 04, 2014, 02:59:23 pm by River Don »
Exactly right Filo! I've posted this on Facebook before but it deserves an outing here:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8amMCVAJQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8amMCVAJQ</a>

When we went a goal down at Blackpool this season we re-started singing straight away, we CAN do it.

Interesting but we already have the lone nut and first followers at the KM, in both the South Stand and the West Stand.

What is very difficult is for others to get out of their seats and join 'the movement.'

Which is why I think it's so important for there to be a recognised singing area, so people who are that way inclined know where to go. And for that area to have unrestricted seating, so it is easy to join in 'the movement'

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on February 04, 2014, 03:06:38 pm by Padge_DRFC »
We've moved ST holders in the east stand to accomodate away fans. Why is this any different?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on February 04, 2014, 03:08:26 pm by River Don »
Interesting but we already have the lone nut and first followers at the KM, in both the South Stand and the West Stand.

Once we bring those two elements together we've instantly doubled our more vocal support. 100+ singers plus flags and drums for the Barnsley game should be a a very good start, I think that would be the critical mass for bringing more over from the South.

Yep, one recognised singers area.

The club can help by creating that space and then incentivising people to use it.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on February 04, 2014, 03:17:57 pm by bobjimwilly »

Once we bring those two elements together we've instantly doubled our more vocal support. 100+ singers plus flags and drums for the Barnsley game should be a a very good start, I think that would be the critical mass for bringing more over from the South.

I'm interested Sad,  who exactly have you approached at the the club, what have you suggested and what was their response?

You seem to have hinted you have already suggested the west stand, despite concerns from people on here, including people who have season tickets in that area and the fact the singing section fell on its arse last time in the west stand?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on February 04, 2014, 03:25:25 pm by River Don »

I'm interested Sad,  who exactly have you approached at the the club, what have you suggested and what was their response?

You seem to have hinted you have already suggested the west stand, despite concerns from people on here, including people who have season tickets in that area and the fact the singing section fell on its arse last time in the west stand?

I didn't know there was a singing section tried in the West stand, I wonder how many knew about it and how long was it tried for?

I still think the idea is best suited to the South stand because the larger group of singers are already there behind the goal at the back.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on February 04, 2014, 03:28:44 pm by RedJ »
It was tried in that Notts County cup match, people stopped singing and sat down about 10 minutes in before we even started playing horrendously shite too before people try making out that was the reason. We got completely outsung by the County fans and it, as BJW says, died on its arse.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on February 04, 2014, 03:38:19 pm by River Don »
It was tried in that Notts County cup match, people stopped singing and sat down about 10 minutes in before we even started playing horrendously shite too before people try making out that was the reason. We got completely outsung by the County fans and it, as BJW says, died on its arse.

So just one poorly attended cup game... I wonder how many people even knew about it?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on February 04, 2014, 03:39:43 pm by bpoolrover »
Agreed needs to be tried for several weeks if that fails then try in the south

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on February 04, 2014, 03:43:14 pm by GazLaz »
Doing it for one game is pointless. It's something that needs to grow and word needs to spread.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on February 04, 2014, 03:45:33 pm by GazLaz »

So just one poorly attended cup game... I wonder how many people even knew about it?

You are doing that good a job at banging the drum for this RD, I nominate you as the NW corner drummer! I take it you will be relocating to the SS?!

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on February 04, 2014, 03:47:57 pm by Jenny »

I think your issue is the people already in the West Stand not those moving to it.

I have it on authority from someone on FB that my ST seat falls within the trial area for the Barnsley game, I rarely sit there as the people around me make my blood boil... if the whole area is typical of the people who sit directly around me I think it will mainly fall on its arse because they won't welcome rowdy people moving in and standing up!

On the subject, my gran attends the football, in said area, those seats were chosen as it means she can access her seat with relative ease given that she is disabled (straight up in the West Stand lift and a few steps to the seat). She can't really stand up at matches and she sits where she does as her eyesight isn't the greatest and it means she can see both goals clearly rather than sitting at one end and struggling to see another.

Here is one for you, is it fair to ask her to vacate her seat because if lots of people come and stand etc she won't be able to and won't see the match?

Fair? Possibly not.

For the greater good? Well we'll have to see.

As you said in your first post:

I wish the club would just make some kind of decision and if it goes down badly with some, tough shit.

Whatever we the fans or the club does will be unpopular with someone. I'm prepared to listen to constructive criticism and adjust / tweak where necessary but I think the vast majority of fans would support an improved atmosphere even if they don't agree with all aspects of the singing section and it's location. Compromise is key.

I'm with you in that if something is for the greater good it should be implemented but I believe there should be some sensitivity when it is done mid way through a season. People pick their seats for a reason and sometimes it isn't easy to just move to a spare seat somewhere else for whatever reason, and lets face it, they have paid for it why should they move?

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I for one wouldn't be too fussed about being in the middle of a singing area, there are some matches when I just want to sit there, watch the game, and not be standing every couple of minutes and having a drum in my ear (normally when I am hungover!) but on the flip side there are occasions when I want to be in the thick of it and it would be nice to know that I have that choice.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on February 04, 2014, 03:53:58 pm by RedJ »

It was quite well pushed to be fair. The section was pretty full, from memory, so it was hardly as if nobody knew about it and didn't bother for that reason.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on February 04, 2014, 04:06:31 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Why not use the north (town) end for home fans who wish to sing, in unallocated seats?

The away fans could be moved to the east stand (north end).

This would create a better atmosphere, and give a massive home team advantage.

Penney did it in our run in to the title at Belle Vue.

This would be the most effective, yet the least disruptive route to take.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on February 04, 2014, 04:12:04 pm by RedJ »
Why not use the north (town) end for home fans who wish to sing, in unallocated seats?

The away fans could be moved to the east stand (north end).

This would create a better atmosphere, and give a massive home team advantage.

Penney did it in our run in to the title at Belle Vue.

This would be the most effective, yet the least disruptive route to take.

This would probably be the best compromise.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on February 04, 2014, 04:12:53 pm by River Don »

You are doing that good a job at banging the drum for this RD, I nominate you as the NW corner drummer! I take it you will be relocating to the SS?!

Ah well Gaz, I'm afraid I fall outside your age demographic for this sort of nonsense, I'm happy enough in the East stand. Also I doubt you'd be able to keep up with my syncopation and funky breaks.

But I do think it's very important for the club to be pro-active in building a more vocal fan base because it enhances the match experience and I'm convinced we lose some support without it. For instance I remember reading a disparaging remark on the Polish Donny forum saying it wasn't worth going to the Rovers because it's not like normal football, it's so quiet.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:24:27 pm by River Don »

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on February 04, 2014, 04:25:52 pm by bobjimwilly »
Whatever the decision the club makes needs to promoted correctly, otherwise it will just fall on its arse again. Maybe some leaflets could be distributed around the south stand to make sure all the current singers know.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on February 04, 2014, 04:34:00 pm by bobjimwilly »
I found the link to the facebook group. You might want to suggest on there that people DON'T try and bring pyros to Barnsley match - unless they want your campaign to die a death before it's even begun...

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on February 04, 2014, 04:47:17 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Notts County failed due to people getting tickets there intent on sitting down 3 rows from the back making everyone who wanted to stand and sing sit down. This ruined it.

Standing section it should be called

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on February 04, 2014, 04:52:10 pm by bobjimwilly »
I just hope no one is dislodged from their seat that they may have been in for the past 5 or 6 years for the sake of 100 or so people, unless they are given a better seat, for no extra cost, towards the half way line?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on February 04, 2014, 05:02:11 pm by normal rules »
If I recall the notts county game only had certain parts of the km open?

In truth the only way to get this off the ground would be in a part of the ground that would not affect anyone, so that's the nw corner or north end of the east stand.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on February 04, 2014, 05:06:26 pm by GazLaz »
You're right Charles about losing supporters, it's the buzz that can be created at a football stadium that gets people to come back. I've taken my lad to watch The Rovers since he was 6 months old, he's been to hundreds of games, and when he was younger his attention and enjoyment was always linked to the atmosphere at the time. He's 10 now and understands the football side a lot more but he loves the away games when the fans are more vocal regardless of the football. Sitting in a morgue doesn't grip people does it.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on February 04, 2014, 05:26:52 pm by Jenny »
I just hope no one is dislodged from their seat that they may have been in for the past 5 or 6 years for the sake of 100 or so people, unless they are given a better seat, for no extra cost, towards the half way line?

Aside from there are no better seats towards the half way line because they are all taken by existing season ticket holders....

TinyPortal © 2005-2012